Home
Posted By: 17Hunter Going to Juneau! July 12-20 - 11/18/16
Need some advice and some suggestions. The wife, 2 daughters (12 & 14) and I will be staying on Douglas Island July 12-20 hiking, fishing and otherwise sightseeing. We plan to do the Mendenhall Glacier trip (ice caves, etc...) and I have 1 shore river fishing trip booked. Still looking for a halibut charter.

If anyone has some suggestions on things you absolutely must do before you leave Juneau, I would like to hear them.

2nd thing is; what equipment are must haves for hiking and being in AK this time of the year. Santa is gonna bring some of this to my children.
Posted By: tkinak Re: Going to Juneau! July 12-20 - 11/19/16
There are two zip lines I'm sure the girls would love. Dan Moller is a great hike on Douglas goes to alpine and a public cabin. Treadwell mine ruin hike in Douglas is a flat hike. 100's of other trails. Take the tram and hike on top of Mount Roberts. Fish and chips at the Sandbar, (no atmosphere but great chips!) Tracy's Crab Shack- a little touristy now but still pretty good.

CBJ sponsors a Wed and Saturday hike if you want to hike with some locals. 586-0428 for the recording.

We have a local group that maintains our trails so most are in pretty good shape. Light hiking boots and rain gear, layer for the 50's to 70*

Tracy Arm or Pack creek bears are great side trips but kind of expensive.

Ice caves are a little tricky to get to, I can certainly give you pointers.

So there are two going to Juneau threads. Thought I messed up my post
Posted By: tkinak Re: Going to Juneau! July 12-20 - 11/20/16
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire