Home
Posted By: Sitka deer Anyone Up For a Boat Ride? - 12/14/16
Thinking Sunday should be fun..

PKZ132-151300-
MARMOT ISLAND TO SITKINAK-
330 PM AKST WED DEC 14 2016

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT...
.TONIGHT...SW WIND 15 KT. SEAS 10 FT.
.THU...S WIND 25 KT. SEAS 9 FT.
.THU NIGHT...S WIND 30 KT. SEAS 12 FT. RAIN.
.FRI AND FRI NIGHT...SW WIND 30 KT. SEAS 13 FT.
.SAT...SW WIND 25 KT. SEAS 18 FT.
.SUN...S WIND 30 KT. SEAS 26 FT.
.MON...W WIND 30 KT. SEAS 18 FT.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Anyone Up For a Boat Ride? - 12/15/16
picnic weather

for Kodiak.. smile
Posted By: 1minute Re: Anyone Up For a Boat Ride? - 12/15/16
Looks like a fine window for crabbing.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Anyone Up For a Boat Ride? - 12/15/16
Yes, or "chumming" ..
Originally Posted by 1minute
Looks like a fine window for crabbing.

And just bitching in general around the house!
Posted By: 1minute Re: Anyone Up For a Boat Ride? - 12/15/16
Yep. Maybe time for some fly tying, rod building, stock work, or reloading.

Building up a little snow here and supposed to have a hard freeze on the way.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Anyone Up For a Boat Ride? - 12/15/16
I get sea sick thinking about it!
Posted By: kellory Re: Anyone Up For a Boat Ride? - 12/15/16
Why sure....can i bring my entire gun collection?;)
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Thinking Sunday should be fun..

PKZ132-151300-
MARMOT ISLAND TO SITKINAK-
330 PM AKST WED DEC 14 2016

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT...
.TONIGHT...SW WIND 15 KT. SEAS 10 FT.
.THU...S WIND 25 KT. SEAS 9 FT.
.THU NIGHT...S WIND 30 KT. SEAS 12 FT. RAIN.
.FRI AND FRI NIGHT...SW WIND 30 KT. SEAS 13 FT.
.SAT...SW WIND 25 KT. SEAS 18 FT.
.SUN...S WIND 30 KT. SEAS 26 FT.
.MON...W WIND 30 KT. SEAS 18 FT.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas. Springtime will be here, when it get's here. Enjoy every day as much as you can.

Take care.
i've been out in 12' swells, not sloppy, in a 25ft boat. wasn't to bad but a little unnerving at first. if it was sloppy it would be a different story.
I commercial fished halibut once in 24' seas on a 32' boat... it was a sloppy mess.
Posted By: 60n148w Re: Anyone Up For a Boat Ride? - 12/16/16
Put out the Sea Anchor and go to bed.
Had to make money... we caught fish...
Posted By: 60n148w Re: Anyone Up For a Boat Ride? - 12/16/16
I know what you mean.
That was a horrible trip. Four people in the crew and on the first pick one had wrapped his right hand in the ground line when I was tying it off at the reel. The line was cleated to the gypsy and he was in the middle. I stepped back and put both hands up for the "all-clear" and the deck boss threw the line off the gypsy just as we were headed up on a wave. Immediately the idiot was dragged to the crucifier with three wraps around his right hand.

The deck boss instantly cut the line but the hand was broken. The line never traveled down the fingers at all yet the tips of two fingers were popped open. The idiot had to stay in his bunk for the rest of the trip.

Worse, we had to pick downwind on a huge set.

Best moment of the trip... Deck boss called for two extra gaffs. I was straight behind him on the starboard side close to the stern and started heading up the side when I saw the fish come off the deck boss's gaff and fall back into the water. I immediately fell flat on the deck and reached as far down as I could with my gaff and hit that fish right in the stomach.

I hollered for help and we brought a 250# plus (headed and gutted) fish over the side. It turned out to be the biggest fish of the trip and worth well north of a grand.

Truth be told, swinging the gaff was an afterthought as I was falling down due to the boat moving...
Sometimes lucky is better than good.
Been forced to rely on luck too many times!

wink
Boat ride? Screw that.

Just listen to the stories and drink beer.
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Boat ride? Screw that.

Just listen to the stories and drink beer.

I'm your huckleberry. wink
You both have stories of your own now.
Originally Posted by VernAK
I get sea sick thinking about it!

there's a reason we live in the Interior Vernesto

landlubbers

I've had some fun in PWS butt fishing and stuff

but those big seas????? fugghedaboutit, you can have em
Posted By: 60n148w Re: Anyone Up For a Boat Ride? - 12/17/16
That's gives a new meaning to a Flying Gaff.
Posted By: wildone Re: Anyone Up For a Boat Ride? - 12/18/16
Size I can deal with as long as they are far enough apart . If you told me the period was 5 seconds I'd tell you about this nice restaurant to get a meal that day.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Anyone Up For a Boat Ride? - 12/18/16
Dixon Entrance to Cape Decision- 400 am akst sun Dec 18 2016
...Gale Warning today through late tonight...

.Today...SW wind 30 kt becoming S 35 kt. Seas 21 ft. Rain. .Tonight...SW wind 35 kt. Gusts to 50 kt. Seas 24 ft. Showers. .Mon...SW wind 30 kt. Seas 25 ft. Showers. .Mon night...S gale to 35 kt. Seas 25 ft. Rain. .Tue...SW gale to 40 kt. Seas 26 ft. .Wed...SW wind 25 kt. Seas 23 ft. .Thu...W wind 25 kt. Seas 17 ft.
A little bit lumpy.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Anyone Up For a Boat Ride? - 12/18/16
I am booked on the ferry to Kodiak on Tues - it looks like a wild ride .
Originally Posted by 458Win

I do not envy you that, but good luck on that ride... many years ago I made the run back from Kodiak and the Tusty had to jog in place off the Homer Spit for almost a full day. It was mighty nasty. The puke was sloshing in the restrooms and I have never seen so many green people... thought I was on Mars there for a while.
Originally Posted by Calvin

.Today...SW wind 30 kt becoming S 35 kt. Seas 21 ft. Rain. .Tonight...SW wind 35 kt. Gusts to 50 kt. Seas 24 ft. Showers. .Mon...SW wind 30 kt. Seas 25 ft. Showers. .Mon night...S gale to 35 kt. Seas 25 ft. Rain. .Tue...SW gale to 40 kt. Seas 26 ft. .Wed...SW wind 25 kt. Seas 23 ft. .Thu...W wind 25 kt. Seas 17 ft.

Show-off!!!!!

wink
First time I rode the Tusty I remember the signs clean up after yourself please!

Ferry just wallows for the pleasurable 12 hr trough ride.

Originally Posted by 458Win

You can get a prescription for a motion sickness medication. But honestly a dose of Benedryl or any antihistamine will help almost as much. Bring a barf bag. Someone will need it!
Posted By: Calvin Re: Anyone Up For a Boat Ride? - 12/18/16
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Show-off!!!!!

wink

It's fishable, just not on the outside. I should have posted some from the storms we had earlier. I had 9 lines on the boat and I was still up at night worried. Several storm force warnings this winter with winds topping 80 mph. And our harbor is a blowhole.

The first day last year I fished the Glory, it was gusting 50+ and stupid me left the harbor with nothing in the hold. Never again! She leaned pretty good, but always came right back. Now I've got 6 55gal plastic drums filled with water in the hold for winter fishing.
Originally Posted by kk alaska
First time I rode the Tusty I remember the signs clean up after yourself please!

Ferry just wallows for the pleasurable 12 hr trough ride.

I turned green on a Tusty ride. Held my lunch, but had to do laps on the deck. Could stand to be inside or still.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Anyone Up For a Boat Ride? - 12/19/16
The first time my wife visited me up here in Alaska.. She took the ferry back to town with 70 mph winds on the way home. I believe the text read "I think I am going to die" as she rolled across Clairence Strait. She was so sick she couldn't even stand up.

She's toughened up.
The first time my wife visited me up here in Alaska.. She took the ferry back to town with 70 mph winds on the way home. I believe the text read "I think I am going to die" as she rolled across Clairence Strait. She was so sick she couldn't even stand up.

She's toughened up.

race ipsa loquitur.
When I was a merchant seamen, if we waited for flat/calm seas. We would only work a few days a year.
I had a college instructor that was 3rd watch stander on the Salvage Chief that towed the Exxon Valdez to San Diego. He told our class about running a tug and barge from Oregon to Hawaii and hitting (his opinion) 90 ft seas. I personally only worked in 40-50 ft. swell.
© 24hourcampfire