Home
I heard there is an old lighthouse at the south end, and that it is a good place to hunt Jap fishing floats. Anyone been out there?
If you're talking about the Kayak Island that is in the Gulf, east of the Copper River Delta, there isn't a lighthouse there.

I've flown over it, very low, but have never landed there.

I imagine you could find anything along there. I've seen some interesting stuff washed ashore along the coast there. grin

Ed
Yes, I know a guy who flies out of Cordova, was going to hit him up about a drop-off. could a wheel plane land on the beach anywhere, or better to do floats?
Driven by a few times in boats. The lighthouse is very dramatic and the scenery is very cool. There are no beaches on the head... Cape St. Elias... but the beaches to the South probably see little traffic and might have some good stuff on them.

Climbing up to the lighthouse would get your blood pumping. It is high and steep.

Bering stopped there very briefly and his naturalist, Steller, on board was given just a couple hours to look around. He saw his first Steller's jay there and named it after himself.

The channel between island and mainland is tricky, requires local knowledge to run and looks very interesting.
Look at Katala, just north of Kayak for a cool destination. Was the first AK oilfield. You can find the old wells with their wooden, wire-wound casing. The old townsite is hard to find. Would be a neat side trip to the lighthouse.

almost afraid to go back to AK....I don't know if I could leave it twice!! we are listing your rhubarb patch for sale, and the cabin along with it, but if it doesn't sell this year maybe we will move back up!
We had a spooky experience in Kayak Entrance, MOB...

Sort of sours me on the desire to go spend time there. Was struck by how few rockfish and lingcod we found there. Like none.
Originally Posted by kid0917
almost afraid to go back to AK....I don't know if I could leave it twice!! we are listing your rhubarb patch for sale, and the cabin along with it, but if it doesn't sell this year maybe we will move back up!

THAT rhubarb is hard to come by... Ironbender stops by every once in awhile spreading his style of horse manure and the rhubarb just grows!

wink
yeah, well, he uses his noggin to bend the iron, so.....
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
We had a spooky experience in Kayak Entrance, MOB...

Sort of sours me on the desire to go spend time there. Was struck by how few rockfish and lingcod we found there. Like none.

What was spooky about it?
MOB...
If not for an extreme piece of luck someone would have been left drifting in Kayak Entrance with zero chance of making it.
Gotcha. Certainly spooky for the MOB and the thing that'll keep a skipper awake at night.

Was the MOB from your vessel?

THAT rhubarb is hard to come by... Ironbender stops by every once in awhile spreading his style of horse manure and the rhubarb just grows!

wink

I gots da goood chit, mang! And, it's legal.

I understand I have that rhubarb on backorder.
yeah, well, he uses his noggin to bend the iron, so.....

What a gomer you are. I use a hammer. Noggin is the 'anvil'. wink
about time you showed up,
how's it been Mike? Happy NY!
about time you showed up,
how's it been Mike? Happy NY!

Back atcha!

Evah thang is good here. Sounds like you have your next move in the makings?
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
If you're talking about the Kayak Island that is in the Gulf, east of the Copper River Delta, there isn't a lighthouse there.

I've flown over it, very low, but have never landed there.

I imagine you could find anything along there. I've seen some interesting stuff washed ashore along the coast there. grin

Ed

He has his directions screwed up. The lighthouse is out on Cape St Elias, the western end of the island.

It is way up there...
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Gotcha. Certainly spooky for the MOB and the thing that'll keep a skipper awake at night.

Was the MOB from your vessel?

Yes, an absolute idiot, previously warned started washing windows around the outside without a watcher... wearing Crocs... New owner had never pulled an anchor before so I stepped back to give him a pointer or two and saw the swimmer trying desperately to get on the boat... and failing.

Had I not made that step back no one would have known for a long time...
...He has his directions screwed up. The lighthouse is out on Cape St Elias, the western end of the island.

It is way up there...

Thanks, there for a little bit I thought I was losing my mind. Again.

Speaking of Katalla, a friend of mine owns several pieces of property there. He once told me that the Government shut down the oil production during WWII as they needed the tankers for the war effort and the oil companies have kept their leases current as there is still a lot of oil there.

All I really know about Katalla is that there are some really big Brown Bears there. grin

Ed
...He has his directions screwed up. The lighthouse is out on Cape St Elias, the western end of the island.

It is way up there...

Thanks, there for a little bit I thought I was losing my mind. Again.

Speaking of Katalla, a friend of mine owns several pieces of property there. He once told me that the Government shut down the oil production during WWII as they needed the tankers for the war effort and the oil companies have kept their leases current as there is still a lot of oil there.

All I really know about Katalla is that there are some really big Brown Bears there. grin

Ed

Very interesting! It is not an easy place to get to. Might be a worthy place to look at for bears without drawing. I am out of those until '19.
That is Sam Fejes' area, no?
I've been on the Island a few times back in 68-70 when the Sedge resupplied the Station every couple of weeks. At that time Glass fishing floats were abundant,I picked up a back pack full on just a short hike down the beach at low water. I believe they run tours out to the island, I would guess now it gets picked over pretty heavy.

I hunted Brown Bear on there for a couple of days also, didn't tag out but a couple of huge Bears there at that time.

It might be. There was another guy guiding hunters in that area about 10-15 years ago. He guided off of his sailboat. He was supposed to guide Bill Bahleda and I for Brown Bear with .454's and he was going to have it filmed. His sailboat got caught in a nasty squall as he rounded Cape Hinchinbrook and was driven up onto the rocks. Our trip was over before it started.

Take a look at Controller Bay, particularly that area on the mainland due North of Kanak Island and up the Bering River. There are some big bears there, but you have to work for them.

There used to be a ton of Black Bears around Martin Lake until a certain flying service out of Anchorage started dumping non-res hunters around the lake and any other place they could put a float plane down on . I remember when they offered $300.00 drop-off hunts, flying out of Eyak Lake in Cordova. That was $300.00 for residents, $1,000.00 for non-residents and they stayed booked.

Another place to look for a big brownie is along Clear Creek, east off of the Copper River Highway. You can drive right to the area and start walking.
It can get pretty sporty in that area when the Reds are running.

There probably won't be a long shot, it'll be close. Not many folks hunt brownies around that area just because of the terrain.

Ed
Originally Posted by 60n148w
I've been on the Island a few times back in 68-70 when the Sedge resupplied the Station every couple of weeks. At that time Glass fishing floats were abundant,I picked up a back pack full on just a short hike down the beach at low water. I believe they run tours out to the island, I would guess now it gets picked over pretty heavy.

I hunted Brown Bear on there for a couple of days also, didn't tag out but a couple of huge Bears there at that time.

answers the question of "any bears out there"? smile
I had the pleasure of visiting LORSTA Attu 3 times while up in AK, thanks for your USCG service!!
You can't drive out to 52 mile anymore, the bridge is washed out at 32 mile. There's a shuttle servers across the river. A big chunk of ice also damaged the footing on the million dollar bridge.

wow, I haven't been up that way since the MDB was fixed back up, got to go again soon. I fished several times with AWOC at Sheep Bay wannigan.
I haven't fished there for a number of years,last time I was there was for shrimping,l hunted both Simpson and Sheep Bay for Bear.

Now the big Silver fishing is at Ibek Creek just past Eyak river.Its a big Tourist fishery,l go there late August-early Sept and get my home pack.Between our family's we smoke,can,freeze,salt 100 Silvers.

You might find some Fish floats on Hinchenbrook ,a fellow who has a cabin next to my sons lot found a big one still with the netting this past year.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5090233/1
If ya just wanna pick on Art, he posts here WAY more often than you pick....
sitkadeer has never returned the stock or cartridge trap

going on 6 years... wtf.........

so what does that say about sitkadeer............................

so Sitkadeer

why are you still holding onto a persons property since 2011

and why do certain people on here think that you can do no wrong

why cant you return the guys stuff Sitkadeer????

after 6 years...........

wtf.....

It might be. There was another guy guiding hunters in that area about 10-15 years ago. He guided off of his sailboat. He was supposed to guide Bill Bahleda and I for Brown Bear with .454's and he was going to have it filmed. His sailboat got caught in a nasty squall as he rounded Cape Hinchinbrook and was driven up onto the rocks. Our trip was over before it started.

Take a look at Controller Bay, particularly that area on the mainland due North of Kanak Island and up the Bering River. There are some big bears there, but you have to work for them.

There used to be a ton of Black Bears around Martin Lake until a certain flying service out of Anchorage started dumping non-res hunters around the lake and any other place they could put a float plane down on . I remember when they offered $300.00 drop-off hunts, flying out of Eyak Lake in Cordova. That was $300.00 for residents, $1,000.00 for non-residents and they stayed booked.

Ed

Yes, I believe that is still Sam's area. I worked for Sam for one season out of the Tsiu River Lodge in the mid 90's. Awesome country, friggin huge bear and dam shcitty moose packing country.
Yeah, I can see that being tough packing!!!
Originally Posted by rost495

Sounds like he rips people off as much as he posts....
Originally Posted by WDH

Thanks for proving you like to post about things you know nothing about...
Originally Posted by WDH

Im sure with 30k in posts you know exactly what you're talking about hahahahahaha.

How about returning ones stuff?

Originally Posted by WDH
Originally Posted by WDH

Im sure with 30k in posts you know exactly what you're talking about hahahahahaha.

Again you are proving your desire to talk about things you know nothing about... Congratulations...
Originally Posted by WDH
Originally Posted by WDH

Again you are proving your desire to talk about things you know nothing about... Congratulations...

Did you sell his stuff to pay your GCI bill? 30k posts eats up a lot of data. Give it back art. Arts and crafts inc is over.
Originally Posted by WDH

Did you sell his stuff to pay your GCI bill? 30k posts eats up a lot of data. Give it back art. Arts and crafts inc is over.

You really are a clueless idiot and just made ignore...
Twerent my biz ness den taint my biz ness now.
© 24hourcampfire