Home
Posted By: ironbender I Like It - 02/15/17
[Linked Image]

Inspired by brewers’ experimentation with a SMaSH Mosaic brew (SMaSH stands for Single Malt and Single Hop brew), Husky IPA seeks to take the Mosaic hop’s best characteristics to the finish line, providing for a juicy IPA with tropical and stone fruit flavors and a bright aroma of tangerine and papaya.

“Our experimentation with a single malt and single hop brew with Mosaic really led to the formulation of this recipe,” said Brewer Greg Morgan. “We’re taking two great ingredients and attempting to get the best characteristics out of them, creating a really tasty beer that in this case accentuates the Mosaic hops.”

https://alaskanbeer.com/2017/01/12/alaskan-brewing-releases-husky-ipa-for-spring/
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: I Like It - 02/15/17
such a gourmand...
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: I Like It - 02/15/17
The six I have is from a batch that could stand in for breakfast's grapefruit juice. I like.
Posted By: 340boy Re: I Like It - 02/16/17
Originally Posted by ironbender
[Linked Image]

Inspired by brewers’ experimentation with a SMaSH Mosaic brew (SMaSH stands for Single Malt and Single Hop brew), Husky IPA seeks to take the Mosaic hop’s best characteristics to the finish line, providing for a juicy IPA with tropical and stone fruit flavors and a bright aroma of tangerine and papaya.

“Our experimentation with a single malt and single hop brew with Mosaic really led to the formulation of this recipe,” said Brewer Greg Morgan. “We’re taking two great ingredients and attempting to get the best characteristics out of them, creating a really tasty beer that in this case accentuates the Mosaic hops.”

https://alaskanbeer.com/2017/01/12/alaskan-brewing-releases-husky-ipa-for-spring/

I like the label! Not a big IPA fan though-I'd rather drink the other IPA(Isopropyl Alcohol) than that stuff! Sorry Mike. smile
Posted By: rost495 Re: I Like It - 02/16/17
i'm not big on IPA either. Label is cool though.
Posted By: LostArra Re: I Like It - 02/16/17
Mosaic is the most recent hop of the week for pale ale.

Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: I Like It - 02/16/17
Our local Walmart doesn't have it! Guess I'll need to head north.
Posted By: ironbender Re: I Like It - 02/16/17
Originally Posted by 340boy
[Linked Image]

I like the label! Not a big IPA fan though-I'd rather drink the other IPA(Isopropyl Alcohol) than that stuff! Sorry Mike. smile

From the description in the link: Husky IPA, released in January, features on its label a Husky cresting a snowy ridge on the label.
There was an IPA thread in the main forum not too long ago. Many posters commented about the seeming competition between brewers to go over the top in hopping their IPAs.

This brew, while hopped, is different in that it is more aromatic and not as bitter as many IPAs. That's the extent of my descriptive powers of the flavor. It's just good!
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: I Like It - 02/16/17
I haven't really hopped on the IPA trend, but that likely won't keep me from picking up a 6 or 12 of the husky to give it a try.

This is more my style.

[Linked Image]
Those are too 'syrup-y' for my taste.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: I Like It - 02/16/17
You don't like to chew your beer?
Posted By: LostArra Re: I Like It - 02/16/17
There was an IPA thread in the main forum not too long ago. Many posters commented about the seeming competition between brewers to go over the top in hopping their IPAs.

This brew, while hopped, is different in that it is more aromatic and not as bitter as many IPAs. That's the extent of my descriptive powers of the flavor. It's just good!

Very perceptive on the aroma.

I agree on the bitter bombs. That's a Calif/west coast trend of blasting the beer with hops early in the boil to get as much bittering as possible. With the newer fruity hops like Mosaic the New England style is to add massive amounts late in the boil or dry hop after fermentation so less bittering and more flavor and aroma. The regional designations are not accurate now but just a description.

I brew my own beer and definitely prefer NE style.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: I Like It - 02/16/17
Their Hopthermia is one of my current favorites. It has lots of bittering and aromatic hops.
Eat your beer with a spoon, Paul!

Art - they're sure proud of the Hopo, selling it in 4-packs! I like it too. The Hop 12er is a nice variety.

The Husky is gone in April they say.
[Linked Image]

From the description in the link: Husky IPA, released in January, features on its label a Husky cresting a snowy ridge on the label.

Oh what the heck, I could try a bottle(or two.) Alaskan Amber is one of my favorite beers, period. Most of the other stuff I have had from them has been good, no doubt.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I haven't really hopped on the IPA trend, but that likely won't keep me from picking up a 6 or 12 of the husky to give it a try.

This is more my style.

[Linked Image]

Ohhh! I could like that. Break out the bottle opener and the "spork", Mike.
grin
Too stout to go through a straw?
wink
Oh what the heck, I could try a bottle(or two.) Alaskan Amber is one of my favorite beers, period. Most of the other stuff I have had from them has been good, no doubt.

I'd mail you one or two if I believed they would arrive safely.
Posted By: kingston Re: I Like It - 02/16/17
I've been big on pilsners in cans!
At 8.5% they are obviously putting a lot more goody in every glass...
Yup. The Husky is 7%!
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

This is why I like pilsners. I don't want to get hammered every time I crack a few beers.
Originally Posted by kingston

This is why I like pilsners. I don't want to get hammered every time I crack a few beers.

Uhhh... you could use an opener like most folks!
wink
Yup. The Husky is 7%!

They must be riding the Iditarod pony right now...
Haven't seen this one, but would like to try it.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Our local Walmart doesn't have it! Guess I'll need to head north.

Head north or looky here to find your closest dispensary.

https://alaskanbeer.com/find-our-beer/
Posted By: NVhntr Re: I Like It - 02/16/17
I love most IPAs. Bitter is better.

Here was my fav from our Alaska trip, mostly for the name and label. laugh

[Linked Image]
"Pilot Series"

LOL..............
Originally Posted by NVhntr

[Linked Image]

I get that on tap when were out. Purdy good!
Posted By: WDH Re: I Like It - 02/16/17
Their Hopthermia is one of my current favorites. It has lots of bittering and aromatic hops.

Is that what you were drinking when you got your DUI?
Don't screw up the thread. Thanks.
Don't screw up the thread. Thanks.

You are just jealous because you don't have a moron for a stalker...
Same goes for you.
Posted By: rost495 Re: I Like It - 02/16/17
Originally Posted by kingston

You just drink one less.. you wouldn't drink 12 ounces of bulleit would you. Oops that might not be a good question. LOL.

My body tells me when to stop pretty quickly these days.
Posted By: akjeff Re: I Like It - 02/16/17
Will have to try that when I can find it Mike, thanks from a fellow hop head! Hopothermia is my favorite, but the ABV is up there, so I kinda gotta watch it if out in the shop working on projects! shocked My pet garage beer is their new Kicker IPA. Nice and hoppy, but a low ABV, and a little more "power tool friendly" if you catch my drift. smile Guinness is another great shop brew. Light on the alcohol but big on flavor.

Jeff
The 'session' IPA!
My first taste of Husky this evening was literally "Wow, who brews beer with grapefruit juice?"

Posted By: bearhuntr Re: I Like It - 02/17/17
Ok, I'll try it. If it sucks I want a refund! 😉
Get one ready Bender!
Posted By: bearhuntr Re: I Like It - 02/17/17
Originally Posted by NVhntr

[Linked Image]

Dat's good stuff there!
Posted By: 340boy Re: I Like It - 02/17/17

I'd mail you one or two if I believed they would arrive safely.

Thanks Mike!
wink
Now I have to visit Alaska; as if the northern lights, bears and the Ruth Gorge weren't enough reasons. cool
Posted By: akjeff Re: I Like It - 02/17/17
The 'session' IPA!

Yep, that's the one.
Posted By: ironbender Re: I Like It - 02/17/17
My first taste of Husky this evening was literally "Wow, who brews beer with grapefruit juice?"

LOL!
You got the wrong stuff!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ironbender Re: I Like It - 02/17/17
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Ok, I'll try it. If it sucks I want a refund! 😉
Get one ready Bender!

I'm your huckleberry!
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: I Like It - 02/17/17
Grapefruit is outstanding in certain applications.

[Linked Image]

I figure the jelly fish on the bottle are fair warning that it doesn't belong in beer.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: I Like It - 02/18/17
Might not be heavy enough for your tastes Paul, but I really enjoy Silver Gulch's pick axe porter

Pretty danged yummy

Careful about takin advice from bender he never met a beer he didn't like

Particularly if it comes out of someone else's cooler

As an aside 'bender I wish you'd met my fil while he was still with us

What a hoot he'd bring a 12 pack of sga or Hanleys to our family outings, drink 6-8 of my beers and as he was leaving he'd refrain " hmmm nobody liked my beer guess I'll take it home with me"

Lol he thought he was so slick
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: I Like It - 02/18/17
I'll have to give it a try. I like most porters and stouts, though they aren't really an every day beer.

Seems like we live in the best of times in regards to craft breweries, so long as they don't get carried away and add fruit.

One of these days I either need to head North or you need to head South so we can share a barley pop or two.
Posted By: ironbender Re: I Like It - 02/18/17
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

That was hurtful and untrue!
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: I Like It - 02/18/17
Sounds good Paul, I'd enjoy that.

bender you left out the part out of someone else's cooler, but you knew that (grin)
You can reach into my cooler anytime, Pard. wink
Posted By: akjeff Re: I Like It - 02/18/17
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I'll have to give it a try. I like most porters and stouts, though they aren't really an every day beer.

Seems like we live in the best of times in regards to craft breweries, so long as they don't get carried away and add fruit.

One of these days I either need to head North or you need to head South so we can share a barley pop or two.

If you like the porters and stouts, and you ever find yourself in Haines, try out Haines Brewing Black Fang. Their spruce tip ale is really incredible as well.

Jeff
Posted By: FishinHank Re: I Like It - 02/18/17
Might have to try some of these. It looks like I might get a couple of days in Juneau this coming week smile I don't need a permit for the type of trolling I plan on doing wink
A little bird informed me that AK brewing is done within sight of LCCC - Lemon Creek Correctional Ctr.

Jailhouse brew? smile

Just re-looked at the PM. It said:

"Brewed within sight of Alaska's most ruthless felons"

grin laugh
Posted By: akjeff Re: I Like It - 02/18/17
Your little bird was likely referring to the Capitol Building, not Lemon Creek! shocked

J
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: I Like It - 02/19/17
In Seward there is a planted red fishery in saltwater... snaggery?

Anyway, there is a nice sandy beach and a small stream enters there. Saw a guy laying his salmon IN the sand while filleting them... then rinsing them in the little creek identified by a sign as the fallout from Spring Creek CC...

Just thought I might put a couple of you off your feed... some may like it...
Posted By: akjeff Re: I Like It - 02/19/17
Bet that creek has some Spring Creek Brown Trout in it! Very soft mouthed, and takes some finesse to land one. shocked

Jeff
Posted By: stevelyn Re: I Like It - 02/19/17
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Might not be heavy enough for your tastes Paul, but I really enjoy Silver Gulch's pick axe porter

Pretty danged yummy

Particularly if it comes out of someone else's cooler

As an aside 'bender I wish you'd met my fil while he was still with us

What a hoot he'd bring a 12 pack of sga or Hanleys to our family outings, drink 6-8 of my beers and as he was leaving he'd refrain " hmmm nobody liked my beer guess I'll take it home with me"

Lol he thought he was so slick

Pick-Axe is in my top three.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: I Like It - 02/19/17
Originally Posted by akjeff
Bet that creek has some Spring Creek Brown Trout in it! Very soft mouthed, and takes some finesse to land one. shocked

Jeff

Make sure to use a landing net or they will come off when you try to lift their heads above water.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: I Like It - 02/24/17
Originally Posted by akjeff
Your little bird was likely referring to the Capitol Building, not Lemon Creek! shocked

J

Have to be for the statement to,remain accurate
© 24hourcampfire