Home
...how would you spend two weeks in Alaska?
Money doesn't matter? The Bush Company.
I've only seen a little bit of AK in SE for a fishing trip. If money was no object 2 weeks wouldn't be long enough. Kodiak Bear hunt is an easy choice for 2 weeks.
Assuming summer. A week in SouthEast fishing the ocean. A week in the interior fishing rivers.

Off the road system so away from tourists and locals.
Two weeks, interior alaska. May 14thish timeframe. Doing what you may ask? Those in the know, know...
If time or money or age mattered not.. I'd spend the rest of our liftetimes there. LOL.

SE coast fishing, and interior mixed batch of lakes/rivers fly in left alone....
Sheep hunting.
maggie:

Guided/Outfitted Moose & Brown Bear Hunt.

But as previously mentioned, with no restrictions on money, two weeks wouldn't be long enough because there are just too many great things to do.

KC

Originally Posted by las
Sheep hunting.

This ^

Kill a sheep float out

Good way to spend a couple of weeks
Two weeks bouncing around SE. Coastal fishing, inside waters cruising, anchor up in a new cove every night. Fewer things could be better. Make it August, peak salmon run, deer season open, surf and turf every night for dinner.
Originally Posted by las
Sheep hunting.

Without a doubt ...
Originally Posted by AKBoater
Two weeks bouncing around SE. Coastal fishing, inside waters cruising, anchor up in a new cove every night. Fewer things could be better. Make it August, peak salmon run, deer season open, surf and turf every night for dinner.

I like this plan 2nd plan for me would be a month outside of AK in the middle of winter with a warm beach!
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by las
Sheep hunting.

Without a doubt ...
[Linked Image]
I'd hang-out around here the last 2 weeks of sheep season!
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Originally Posted by AKBoater

I like this plan 2nd plan for me would be a month outside of AK in the middle of winter with a warm beach!

You could try TX beaches... we posted 99 in January down close to the coast... damn this heat... its as bad as your cold!
I can take the cold but the heat I ain't cut out for.
Last week of October and 1st week of November in SE, calling orange horned deer. Plus a little steelhead and dolly fishing.
Yes, big bear and sheep.
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by las
Sheep hunting.

This ^

Kill a sheep float out

Without a doubt. Not sure where, but I can tell you we used to watch sheep in the White Mountains while moose hunting. I'll bet you can guess where we were. Not too many, probably no huge ones, but a challenge non-the-less.
moose hunting.

P.
Yeah I can guess where you were Gods country
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Originally Posted by las
Sheep hunting.

This ^

Kill a sheep float out

Without a doubt. Not sure where, but I can tell you we used to watch sheep in the White Mountains while moose hunting. I'll bet you can guess where we were. Not too many, probably no huge ones, but a challenge non-the-less.

Killed more than a few rams right in there... tightest curled sheep going...
Yeah I can guess where you were Gods country

Yes sir, it is!
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by las
Sheep hunting.

This ^

Kill a sheep float out

Really? I'd like to hear some of those stories!
Originally Posted by las
Sheep hunting.

This ^

Kill a sheep float out

Really? I'd like to hear some of those stories!

Growing up the notion was all about legal rams... I was a dink killer...
Art,

We all (well, most of us) evolve as hunters. Difference is the majority grow up shooting does or small whitetail bucks.

So very fortunate to grow up & shoot dink Dall sheep. smile
The hunt I want to do I need to draw the tag but if I drew it be Unimak Island Couldn't think of a better two weeks spent.
Or get flown out and hunt the Porcupine caribou herd that would be a blast for two weeks!
I would love to hunt brown bear and, even more, I'd love to hunt a sheep, but something about Mountain goats has always intrigued me even more.

but, in the end, I'd opt for one of those float trips for whatever I could hunt.

Originally Posted by las
Sheep hunting.

Or not...

Last time we went was 8-10 years ago. Things conspired..... It was 18miles backpacking to the sheep mountain, last visited 30 years before, and two back to back semi-blizzards. I posted on it then. We were still 3 miles off when we bailed due to time constraints. (There is WAY more to this story!!! smile )

Killed a caribou on the way out, after hiking right through hundreds of them on the way in .. We were going sheep hunting, dammit!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It was a pretty good non-sheep hunt!
He got cold, tracking caribou. Sometimes gone for a couple hours, but we didn't wait. He'd track us down. We only worried about Eagles and such.

[Linked Image]
My son killed a black bear on a caribou hunt 3 years ago. No bou.
I never been a fisherma, but I would like to fish there.
I could spend two weeks fishing in SE Alaska pretty easy. I'm getting ready to spend 5 months in the Brooks Range so maybe I will learn to like that even more. Can't wait to throw a few spinners and flies...
Bring your bug dope for the Brooks
Originally Posted by maggie

I'd rent a really good STOL amphibian and fly to see many places and things, pausing to fish the best and hunt for the most desired.
Quality visits with my old friends there. Drift the Kenai out of Soldotna where we used to have our Aframe cabin, and ride the train from Anchorage to Mt McKinley for the upteamed time.
A glacier Bear hunt.
Originally Posted by maggie

Wooing a little hottie that I know in Fairbanks and making sure she had a smile on her face.
If money was no problem I'd probably try for another bull moose but this time I'd use a long bow.
Brown bear and moose.
I would spend it at the liquor store and welfare office like real Alaskans.
Originally Posted by BCJR
I would spend it at the liquor store and welfare office like real Alaskans.

True dat. Don't forget to act like a victim while doing so.
Save enough for a tattoo!
Some folks would consider 2 weeks at the Bush Company as downright sinfull.... smile
As others have said, sheep hunting.

Or booze and hookers. grin
3 days successfully hunting sheep.
3 days successfully hunting Kodiak bears.
3 days successfully hunting Moose
2 days successfully fly fishing.
3 days alone in a cabin with Halle Berry.
Since this is my dream, Halle is infatuated with me.
14c
Originally Posted by waterrat
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by las
Sheep hunting.

Without a doubt ...
[Linked Image]
I'd hang-out around here the last 2 weeks of sheep season!

Superb photo. As good as it gets.
A tough decision because 2 weeks seems limiting ...

Can't decide between very large antlers or arctic char or salmon.

I petition for more time and $ to research the issue!

As an ignorant out-of-stater, I can't grasp how even 2 weeks in Anchorage could fail to be a great time.
Bush Company, if you wanna see a lotta bare
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
As an ignorant out-of-stater, I can't grasp how even 2 weeks in Anchorage could fail to be a great time.

Sure it would be. It's so close to Alaska!
<rimshot>
I looked up the Bush Company last night. After reviewing the employee profile section of the web site, I'd say the name fits.
Originally Posted by kingston
I looked up the Bush Company last night. After reviewing the employee profile section of the web site, I'd say the name fits.

BULLSPIT!!!!!!!

I filed a grievance with the BBB after my last visit. Looking as hard as I could I failed to find a single bush in the whole place!
Back on topic, it would involve a hard slog somewhere in Mr. Claus' backyard.

BULLSPIT!!!!!!!

I filed a grievance with the BBB after my last visit. Looking as hard as I could I failed to find a single bush in the whole place!

I never realized they had a website

I just turned in an app for you Art

I was able to lift head and frontal view off the web, but need a backside shot for the application

If they don't call you for an interview in a few days we'll sue the pants offa them for gender or age or both discrimination

Oops my bad, lookin closer someone has already sued the pants off most of them

BULLSPIT!!!!!!!

I never realized they had a website

I just turned in an app for you Art

I was able to lift head and frontal view off the web, but need a backside shot for the application

If they don't call you for an interview in a few days we'll sue the pants offa them for gender or age or both discrimination

Oops my bad, lookin closer someone has already sued the pants off most of them

Laughin'! Did not find the "disrobe" linkie...
Originally Posted by ironbender

<rimshot>

Well, If you had to you could start in Kenai and drive to Alaska by way of Anchorage,,,
A tough decision because 2 weeks seems limiting ...

Can't decide between very large antlers or arctic char or salmon.

I petition for more time and $ to research the issue!

I've only ever spent two weeks in Alaska. Most of the residents on here will agree that they call it Los Anchorage. It's still a city and has all of the same problems; gangs, drugs, homeless, hipsters, politicians, etc. If you do find yourself with that short of a time frame you can do what I did and fly into Anchorage, stay long enough to get a feel for the "town" and get whatever supplies you need then rent a car and drive the Seward Hwy to Homer. I spent a couple days in Seward on the way including an excellent full day whale watching trip where we saw humpbacks, orcas, mountain goats, black bear, eagles, and a ton of sea birds including some puffins. I managed to get my limit of two halibut and release another on a half day trip out of Homer. Stop and have a beer at The Salty Dog. I wish I would have taken the time to visit Kenai and Whittier on that drive. I left Homer at night and drove to Denali N.P., including a nap at a park and ride outside of Wasilla. This is dangerous especially since it was the end of May and I had several close calls with moose on the hwy. Denali will provide you with a ton a wildlife viewing. I walked the road 6 miles further than the bus goes that time of year and was following grizzly tracks part of the way, also not recommended.

I'll be back and for much longer than two weeks next time. I may just find a job and stay. You'll understand the feeling when you get there. I picked up seven different hitchhikers on my trip, it's a special place.
Originally Posted by ironbender

<rimshot>

Well, If you had to you could start in Kenai and drive to Alaska by way of Anchorage,,,

Sounds like a fun trip. I'll try that one of these days.
© 24hourcampfire