Home
Posted By: MuskegMan TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17

Time for a post-hunt report. It started with my son drawing a coveted TMA early season

sheep tag back in late February. He did not know if he could pull it off from work, so he was

not able to commit until a full week after the draw results were posted. As a result, we

missed the chance to book the "better" spots to be dropped off by 40 Mile Air - and to be

truthfull, I'm not really sure where all these spots are anyway. My son was able to get time

off for the 2nd half of the early season. Jake at 40 Mile reserved us a spot that they had not

dropped someone off for a couple of years. It was a river bar located at the upper part of the

Tok River

Spent the summer getting my azz into shape. Dropped to under 200# and did a lot of lower

body weight training. I was also rehabbing a partially torn achilles tendon injury from last

summer. I didn't go on a spending spree for lightweight pack, bag, etc., but did get some

Black Diamond carbon fiber trekking poles as I knew this would help with a heavy pack.

Brought a Leica Televid 20-60x65 that paid bid dividends. Did not bother with bino's.

Took the ferry from Juneau to Haines and drove to Tok from there. A nice drive that I hadn't

done in something like 30 years. We arrived in Tok the day before and checked in with 40

Mile Air. Made sure I had contact info in my DeLorme InReach device and did a test before we

left. Stopped by ADF&G and they had just plugged two 42" rams out of the TMA that

morning. They said the number of mature animals was up and we were pretty stoked to say

the least.

Stayed at the Hunter's "Terminal" that nite, so we'd be ready for the morning departure. Next

morning, we were second up. They had to pull some guys out of the field ahead of us. I was

flying with Leif and my son withMa Jake.
Neither of us have ever flown in a SuperCub. We

got dropped off at the gravel bar at 11:00 on Friday. Here's the obligitory plane shot. We

ended up hunting the valley visible above the plane's tail.

[Linked Image]

Pulled out the spotter to check out some sheep just above the landing spot. No rams, just

ewes and lambs. Crossing the Tok River to the south side looked like a bad idea and not

really necessary for our hunt plans.

Put in 4.5 miles and 1,500 vert to make it to a decent camp spot. This was about 500 vert

above the river floor and on a ridge with good visibilty up to the head of the valley. Set up

camp and did a little spotting. Saw 3 rams with one looking pretty good sized (this was the

one we ending up getting). Plan was set for tomorrow.

[Linked Image]

Saw the rams again the next morning. Took off for the 2.5 mile hike to get up to them.

Took a "gulley shot" up the moraine to keep ourselves hidden from their view. Some really

nasty terrain and almost like another planet. I dubbed it the moraine from hell.

[Linked Image]

After a couple of hours of hiking we figured we were pretty close and peeked over the top of

a lateral moraine. Spotted the big ram 600 yds away. No way to close the distance without

exposing ourselves to view. We mulled it over for 1/2 hour while eating some food and

hydrating, then decided to make our break while he was feeding. Got up behind the next

lateral moraine and took a peek - we were busted. Two rams heading up the steep scree

above us. They both took sentry positions and gave us the stink eye.

We decided to back off and head to the head of the valley as we had seen rams moving up

and down this corridor. Made it up to the to the top of the valley and looked off the back of

the pass to see a couple of sub-legal rams. Made the long hump back to camp - 9 mile / 13

hour day. I was pretty whooped. We decided to leave those sheep alone for a while and let

them settle down.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17

Next day, we decided to check out a couple smaller hanging valleys the next day that were

closer to camp. Saw 5 rams, but nothing close to being legal. At the end of the day, we

decided to move camp further up valley to be closer to the head of the valley.

Monday, the day of the solar eclipse, we got up at 4:30 and started up the river valley at 5:30

to where we had seen the big ram the first day. After a 30 minute walk upriver, my son spots

sheep coming down off the hillside about 1/2 mile ahead of us. We ducked out of sight and

slipped up a side gulley to set up the spotter. 3 rams in the group, with our target ram in the

groom. They milled around in the river bottom for about a half hour and they headed into

the moraine. As soon as they moved out of sight, we crossed the river and started flanking

them. We then noticed they were coming back out of the moraine and towards us. We

ducked into some willow patches for cover. They wind had been coming down the valley all

morning, but started swirling. The sheep were still heading towards us and dropped down

into a gulley out of sight about 400 yards ahead and above us. We made a move thru the

willows to where we could see better. They came out above us, heading towards a grassy

patch. My son shot at 150 yds using my trekking poles at shooting sticks. He thought he

missed on the first shot with his Kimer Montana 300 WSM - the ram didn't look phased. He

shot a second time and it went down!! He actually his the ram solid on both shots.

Ram was 8 years old. Broomed left - full curl right. 36.5" on the FC side. 12.5" bases.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Montana was shooting 60.o gr IMR-4064 with 150 TTSX's (my handloads).

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17
Very nice! Who did the ring count at 8? Sure looks like more to me...

Congratulations!
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17
L,

Beautiful sheep and a great story. That moraine stuff sure can be hell!

Congrats to your son! Sheep never come easy.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17
Outstanding ! What greater pleasure than to be with your son on his sheep kill. That's the stuff of dreams

On a side note, no intend to hijack, but I helped unload a float plane for 40 mile air at Midway lake this last week. Guy had what looked to be a 36-38 in ram long but no drop to the curl

Saw something I didn't think I'd ever see. As we were unloading the plane out comes this folding chair, real similar to the ones that came with our patio set. Like an old fashioned lawn chair but heavier duty and well heavier (????)
1 chair, two hunters, 1 sheep

I'll admit it gave me pause

Congrats to your son and good on ya for being with. Really enjoyed the pix and details

Had lunch with Leif and Vern in AK at delta a month or so ago
Posted By: kingston Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17
Beautiful animal, congratulations! Thanks for the play by play. You're blessed by such beautiful country.
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17
Sheep hunting in Xtratuffs is no joke! Congratulations on a great hunt!
Posted By: bwinters Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17
Very, very nice ram and hunt! I'd love to do that hunt..............
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17
A pleasure to read! Pics are icing on the cake.
Posted By: saddlering Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17
Great Ram! Thanks for the story! Congrads to your son!
Posted By: SKane Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17
Outstanding! Congrats to both of you!
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17
Congratulations. That just went on my bucket list. Thanks for posting, great story.
Posted By: John_Havard Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17
Congratulations on an excellent hunt and excellent summary! You must be very proud of your son!
Posted By: colorado bob Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17
That's a good ram!! Conglads to you & your son----memories to last a lifetime!!
Posted By: VernAK Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Sheep hunting in Xtratuffs is no joke! Congratulations on a great hunt!

Ah Yes.....Juneau tennis shoes........very common at weddings also!

A great experience for a great sheep.

Some very big sheep are coming out of the hills this year.
Posted By: Judman Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17
Great trip! Grats
Posted By: JGRaider Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17
Wow, fantastic experience. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: ironbender Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17
Sweet!
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17
Very nice! Congrats to you both.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17

Thanks for the adulations guys.

Originally Posted by Sitka deer

That would be the Tok office of fin, fur and feathers. wink

Several noticed the Xtra Tuff boots my son was wearing. He has leather hiking boots but they don't work for him. He has a bunion of the bottom of one foot that hurts like crazy with a stiff-soled boot. It is hard to believe as it's so hard to side hill or come downhill in those things.

Can't say enuff nice things about the folks at 40-mile Air. Forgot to mention how handy the InReach was. We scored and made it back to the gravel strip at noon - 4 days ahead of our scheduled pickup. I send a message to Genoa and we were picked up within 4 hours of our initial request! Friggin' awesome.
Posted By: maggie Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17
Thanks for posting story and pics. Well done, congratulations to you both!
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Several noticed the Xtra Tuff boots my son was wearing. He has leather hiking boots but they don't work for him. He has a bunion of the bottom of one foot that hurts like crazy with a stiff-soled boot. It is hard to believe as it's so hard to side hill or come downhill in those things.

Can't say enuff nice things about the folks at 40-mile Air. Forgot to mention how handy the InReach was. We scored and made it back to the gravel strip at noon - 4 days ahead of our scheduled pickup. I send a message to Genoa and we were picked up within 4 hours of our initial request! Friggin' awesome.

When BW had his sheep sealed the lady doing the counting came up with a different age for each horn... so I have seen some goofy counts!
wink
Oh, and one side of the ram was two years younger than the other. She averaged them!
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/30/17
Oh, and one side of the ram was two years younger than the other. She averaged them!

lmao, but I'm so afraid you're apt to be telling the truth.
Posted By: Bambistew Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/31/17
Nice ram! I cant hardly walk across my lawn in Xtratuffs, couldn't imagine walking in the rocks.

The winter of 2013/14 did some weird things to growth rings in some areas/sheep. Many grew about 1/2-2/3 what they normally would have. The trooper that checked me this year guessed my 10yo double broomer at 8. It ain't just ADFG. wink
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/31/17
Congrats on a well-earned trophy! Sheep hunting is just the best test of your physical and mental abilities. Thanks for posting so we can all celebrate your son's success.
Posted By: Snootie Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/31/17
Great read and pics! Awesome hunt/adventure. Congrats to you both. Brings back some great memories. Thanks for sharing!!
Posted By: battue Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/31/17
Thanks for the post and the pics are great. Really appreciate all the Sheep hunting threads.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/31/17
Great story and pictures, very cool that you got to do this with your son!

Thanks for taking the time to share this. Kurt
Posted By: akjeff Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/31/17
Great story, photo's and ram! Nicely done!

Jeff
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/31/17
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Four former sheep guides looked at the pictures today and four for four agreed without me saying a word that the sheep is nine.

Absolutely not meant in any way to be negative; it is a fine trophy, very well-earned!

I would have said retired, but the alliteration of "four former" trumped four "retarded"! (for Randy's benefit!)

wink
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/31/17
And I agree with them...

Just to double down on retarded!
Posted By: GrizzlyKid Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/31/17
Congrats on a great hunt!!! Nothing better than spending some time in the TMA, it is awesome country.

The Tok fish and game office is one of the better one's I have dealt with, whether they said 8 or 9, one really needs to get the horns in their hand's to know for sure. Just from looking at the pics, I'd say he's a ram on the younger scale of things. 8 or 9, splitting hairs. Anyhoo....

Those two "42's", I bet they were pretty rams... wink
Posted By: handwerk Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/31/17
Thanks for the write up and congrats to the two of you, what a great father/son outing!
Posted By: smokepole Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/31/17
Awesome country and photos, congratulations!
Posted By: wageslave Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 08/31/17
Wow.
Way to get it done. Congrats to you both.
Posted By: NMiller Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 09/01/17
Thanks for the story, well done guys!
What an adventure. Congrats to you both.

FC
Posted By: ironbender Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 09/02/17
And I agree with them...

Just to double down on retarded!

So you HAVE met Randy.
Posted By: TomM1 Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 09/04/17
Nice Ram, thanks for sharing. Backpack mountain hunts are the ones I relish the most.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 09/06/17
Awesome sheep and a great story.
Posted By: FishN4Eyes Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 09/06/17
Sweet story and awesome sheep and great pics.

I love sheep hunting!
Posted By: DuckScarer Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 09/07/17
Very cool
Posted By: las Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 09/12/17
I might have to hobble up the mountains one more time..... I haven't gotten any wiser with age, only slower. But unlike past trips, if I go, there won't be time constraints except food supply.

My initial count also made it nine before Art questioned it. I haven't changed my mind with subsequent counts. So I could be consistently wrong? smile
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: TMA Sheep Hunt Report - 09/12/17
Great write up. Those Xtra-tuffs would have made it extra tuff for me. Those scree fields play hell with my ankles, do I have to strap up tight with a stick hiker and strong bottom shank or one day on the rocks is all I can stand. I'd be crippled the next day. great hunt -- Congrats to you noth.
© 24hourcampfire