Home
MD or anyone, i have a few partial boxes of Remington bronze points in both 277 caliber and 30. Have heard different opinions on these for years,both good and bad. Have never killed anything myself with them, your thoughts ?
My experience with them has me thinking they somehow contain mini grenades in them. Very explosive.
When they first came out I thought they were very handsome in appearance, performance not so much...
From their inception up until he switched to 300 Weatherby(about 1982-3), my step father killed a lot of elk with factory rem. bronze points in his .270 win. As stated earlier they would cause a lot of internal damage by fragmenting inside the body. He generally went for shots behind the (front!?) shoulder zone missing heavy bone as much as possible.
I killed my first elk with them back in 1966 using a .308. I think they were 165 gr or 180 gr .They worked then and I am sure they work now.
Remington designed and marketed them for long range hunting where the velocity had dropped off quite a bit. "Long range" in those days meaning 300- 400 yards or bit more. IIRC their ads showed people sheep hunting in the mountains and maybe some other places where longer shots were taken.

They were made to provide good expansion at reduced impact velocities where more stoutly constructed cup and core bullets sometimes did not open well, so naturally folks started using them for all of their hunting and complained that they flew apart at closer range shots.

I bought a bunch of .308 165 grain BP's from a poster here a while ago to use as range ammo and they were decently accurate.
I used them fifty years ago in my old 270 Husqvarna for sheep hunting. They were very accurate, and dropped sheep right where they stood, every time.

Never tired them on big game at all,
Ted
In the 80s I got a couple boxes of 150 grain bronze points cheap at a gun show. I loaded them in a .300 Savage at about 2550 fps, probably a little slow for this bullet. The only game I shot was a trotting mule deer doe at about 80 yards. I held about even with her nose and shot, and she took off around a hill. I thought I'd missed her, but went to check just in case. There was blood in the snow every 20 feet or so, and I followed the blood for about 100 yards and there she was, dead, with a .30 caliber hole in and a .30 caliber hole out, her throat. I'd hit her in the neck and severed the jugular, but that bullet hadn't opened up. Still, good venison with no meat ruined. After that, unsure of their performance on deer, I used the rest up on a lot of targets and one coyote.. bullet didn't open up much either, if at all, but it sure killed him with a shot through the lungs at about 150 yards. There was snow that day too, or I wouldn't have found him, as he ran quite a ways too. I suspect I was using a bullet meant for a little more velocity than I was getting from a .300 Savage.
Shot 1 whitetail doe with them out of an '06 in 1992. 150 grain I believe. 300 or so yards.

Hit her back a ways just under the spine. caught the artery just under the spine and she died within 100 yards.

Really can't give you any other details other than she died.
I bought some 180 Bronze Points years ago when they were available as components. They may be a great hunting bullet, but I was never able to get better than mediocre accuracy with them in a .300 H&H Model 70.
Ran into more than one native in Alaska, in town from the village on the scout for some. To a man they all wanted them for the same reason, “The gold tips are bone breakers, good for moose”.
When I inherited my grandfather's sporterized Enfield in .270 he had two boxes of 130 grain bronze points. I shot 20 plus animals with them with never more than one shot each and short ample blood trails on any that did not drop right there. They did leave some large exit holes. They worked great on whitetails, hogs, and feral goats. Did not shoot anything bigger with them.
I had a few years back.....today I'd far prefer a swift A-Frame or a Nosler partition or a TTSX
Often, they explode on the surface.

Ask yourself, "why did they quit making them?"

Bronze points are not shoulder shot bullets....not by a long shot.....

I had to super glue more than a few of the bronze points back in the bullet.
I've killed 2 whitetails using 180's out of a 300 H&H at 300 fps.
The first was a walking buck about 200 yards- hit between the last two ribs. Bullet fragmented and pieces hit one of his hind feet as he limped off and expired. Made a mess of everything.
The second was a buck about 150 yds hit behind the shoulder. Immediate spray of blood and steam on the off side and fell over dead. Exit hole about the size of a tennis ball.
Probably pushed them too fast i guess.
In my experience they expanded erratically, sometimes coming apart in impact (especially when hitting bones) and sometimes exiting on broadside rib shots--similar to some Winchester Silvertips, or early plastic-tipped bullets.

And there was not reason they wouldn't. The jackets were pretty thin.

One of the most amusing "reviews" of the Bronze Point I ever heard was from an eastern Montana rancher in the late 1960s. He claimed they were designed for shooting bears, apparently because of the hard tip. He had never shot a bear, or seen anybody shoot one.
I'm guessing that the two shots on animals with bronze points I made 40 years ago just didn't hit anything substantial enough to open the bullet.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In my experience they expanded erratically, sometimes coming apart in impact (especially when hitting bones) and sometimes exiting on broadside rib shots--similar to some Winchester Silvertips, or early plastic-tipped bullets.

One of the most amusing "reviews" of the Bronze Point I ever heard was from an eastern Montana rancher in the late 1960s. He claimed they were designed for shooting bears, apparently because of the hard tip. He had never shot a bear, or seen anybody shoot one.

That’s interesting John.

In the book “Alaska’s Wolf Man”, Frank Glaser used the bronze points on an interior grizzly and ended up with quite a rodeo on his hands. He ended up finally killing the bear quite a few shots later, but swore to never use those bullets again.
Originally Posted by ironbender

That’s interesting John.

In the book “Alaska’s Wolf Man”, Frank Glaser used the bronze points on an interior grizzly and ended up with quite a rodeo on his hands. He ended up finally killing the bear quite a few shots later, but swore to never use those bullets again.

I have that book
Fortunate or not, I dunno.

Way back I was impressed with the looks and aero of the BP bullets. I bought 'some', don't remember how many, in
270 - 130gr. Before hunting them I was reading up on em and all the on game reports were either

blow ups or pass thrus..... so I never shot any game with them. I may still have a box but I'd had to dig way back in my stash.

Seems from this thread those old reports were accurate. I still like the looks they had.

Jerry
My buddy and I split a box of 500 270 cal 130 grain bullets back in the day. About the same time as Nosler introduced their Ballistic Tip bullets. We both noticed that the bronze points behaved very similar to the BT's back then.....the "grenade" effect. Side by side shooting at our range showed the new Ballistic Tips out shot the BP's by a large margin. We eventually traded off the remainder at some gun show way back then. Boy they sure were cool looking back in the day though....

The Bronze Points were Ballistic Tips before there was a Ballistic Tip
The bronze tip had a tendency to end up in the middle of a stead where it would have the best chance of breaking my tooth. The CIL copper point expanding was a better performing bullet. GD
Thanks everyone for the info! Think I will polish them up, drill holes in them, and hang them on necklaces for gun jewelry !!
Originally Posted by kenster99
Thanks everyone for the info! Think I will polish them up, drill holes in them, and hang them on necklaces for gun jewelry !!

With current phase of few reloading components , I would not waste any bullets.Heck, at least put them in the classified as free, but pay for shipping.

Don't do that, I would take em before you ruin em. PM me if you wanna sell em.
I always thought they looked nice, yet never used them.
There is a reason they do not make them any more. Think about that.
Just kidding on the jewelry thing, they will go into the "last ditch" stock.
I've killed deer with 90 grain .244 REM and 180 grain 30-06 Remington and Peters BP factory loads. The deer all died promptly when shot into the lungs, about like they are prone to do when shot in the lungs with any expanding bullet.

My Father thought so highly of BPs that when he bought a Remington 660 in 6MM REM for me, he looked around and bought a couple dozen boxes of .244 REM Remington and Peters 90 grain BPs. He thought that the 90 grain BPs were the best factory loaded deer hunting bullet for the 6MM REM in 1968.
Just kidding on the jewelry thing, they will go into the "last ditch" stock.

Chech _/ ATST I like the jewelry idea.

I may do that with 3 or 4, 30 cal 150 Silvertips.

Jerry
I killed my first buck in 1960 with one. Animal was facing me at 25 yds. Bullet fragments did a lot of damage to both lungs and the heart. Found the base of the core less bullet against the front of the liver. The buck ran 25 yds. and fell dead.
My brother hit a small blacktail too far back at about 60 yds. The buck recovered from the hit and ran off into some super dense brush without leaving a blood trail. I literally crawled into the thicket, and still couldn't find him. The buzzards did however, or at least knew he was there in the days following. That was the last time I used it that bullet in the '06,' or any other round. Since then, I've insisted on a bullet that will leave a blood trail. E
Originally Posted by jwp475

The difference is that the jacket of hunting Ballistic Tips is considerably thicker than the jacket of Bronze Points.
I have an ancient box of 30 caliber 180 grain Bronze Points. I also have a box of 180 grain RNCLs. Save them or shoot them?
I have 3 boxes of 130 gr .277" bp's for use in the 270 win going to work up a load in a sr HVA 270 for them. Should work fine for broadside ribcage antelope shots out at 200-400 yds. Or just cheap shooting. Mb
Overheard at the range. GenX'er:" Whoa dude, that's some gnarly-ass bullets, zombie null schidt right?" Geezer: "Indeed, you are a perceptive young man, what appear to be Bronze Points, are in fact, one of the most lethal bullets ever conceived, armor piercing, explosive tip, incendiary, nite-glo tracers. These are the last of a secret government contract for Space Forces. If you want, I'll sell you these for 2 bucks apiece, but you gotta swear you will never divulge your source"...
Cookie did several elk over the years (270), and none of them complained.
Thoughts on Remington Bronze points [

Of this I can say.....they were a lot better than Herters wasp waste sonic bullets.....anyone remember them?
Originally Posted by jwp475

The difference is that the jacket of hunting Ballistic Tips is considerably thicker than the jacket of Bronze Points.

bronze tip bullets were very explosive and I use them for broadside thought the rib shots only

Funny, I remember shooting factory 150's back in the 70's in a Remington 742 30-06 Carbine.

Not sure how much of a role the short barrel played, I don't recall any big messes.

I thought they were too "tough" back then on deer.
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
I have an ancient box of 30 caliber 180 grain Bronze Points. I also have a box of 180 grain RNCLs. Save them or shoot them?

Send em this way.
I recall reading a JOC piece, wherein a grizzly came in to his kill after he’d shot a sheep. Paraphrasing, “I fired one 130 grain Remington Bronze Point at him, and his hide is now on my wall.”

I think that’s the only positive account I’ve ever read about those bullets.

FC
I never had any issues killing deer with the 150gr Bronze point from the 30.06. The 180gr was my brother's bullet of choice for deer from his 300 mag. They did open up fast but they killed deer like lighting.
O'Connor also wrote of shooting a moose with, I beleve, a .270, several times and finding "all those little bronze points under the hide" on the far side. Don't have the article in front of me but that quote is pretty close.
As I recall it was a grizzly--but same point.
As I recall the grizzly was with a 300 Weatherby and 180s. Or at least the O’Connor grizzly with Bronze points that I read about. There may have been more. grin

I have the article at home somewhere. It was definitely his monthly column, but on the 300 Weatherby, not on Bronze points specifically. But it was Bronze points on the grizzly.
There's still a box of 100 270 130 gr with a $5 price tag on them in the loading room. The other box was used for 2400 fps meat loads 25 years ago and given to Dad. They work as he likes at that speed-reliable expansion without making too much cat jello.
Mule Deer, you're probably correct. Been awhile since I read that article.
The article was also reprinted as a chapter in THE HUNTING RIFLE, which is probably where I first read it. (A lot of his books were collections of published articles, as some hunting/shooting books are today.)
When I was a kid, you could go down to the sporting goods and marine business of my now-wife's grandfather, and buy individual rifle or shotgun shells. I seem to recall that, at that time, .30-06 factory loads were $0.25 each. I bought two rounds of .30-06 150 grain Bronze Points and went out with my sporterized 03-A3 to shoot woodchucks. The first one I shot that day was running straight away from me at about 50 yards. All that was left was the strip of belly skin holding the 4 legs together and the tail. The second one I came across popped up 20 feet in front of me when I got to a fence. I drilled it through the center of the chest, between the two front legs, it fell forward and commenced to run all out in about a thirty foot circle and dropped dead when it got back to where it started. Pinhole in, pinhole out. That's the extent of my experience with Remington Bronze Points. After that, I did most of my woodchuck killing with that rifle using homeloads put together by one of my high school buddies with 130 grain hollowpoints over 49 grains of Hi-Vel #2. Yes, that was a few years ago.
Originally Posted by trplem
There's still a box of 100 270 130 gr with a $5 price tag on them in the loading room. The other box was used for 2400 fps meat loads 25 years ago and given to Dad. They work as he likes at that speed-reliable expansion without making too much cat jello.

Cat jello??

I like it!!
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
I recall reading a JOC piece, wherein a grizzly came in to his kill after he’d shot a sheep. Paraphrasing, “I fired one 130 grain Remington Bronze Point at him, and his hide is now on my wall.”

FC

The problem with quotes like that is it doesn't say how the bear died? Did it drop and die on the spot? Did it run 700 metres and they found it the next day after a long lingering death? Either scenario ends with a bear rug on the wall with a single bullet used.

The fact that JOC didn't say how quickly the bear died starts my natural skepticism ticking over. But that's just me.

I bought 200 x 150gn .308 Bronze Points years ago and shot a heap of pigs with them in my 20" barreled .308. The pigs died well enough, usually on the spot, but I didn't dig for bullets or run autopsies. But they killed average sized pigs around the 50 - 65 kg range pretty well.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by trplem

Cat jello??

I like it!!

We butcher our deer in the old milkhouse of one of our hunting camp founders 10 acre farmette. He's the one that started the phrase "cat Jello". There are always a few half tame barn cats waiting outside the front door for the blood shot trimmings.
Originally Posted by vapodog
Thoughts on Remington Bronze points [

Of this I can say.....they were a lot better than Herters wasp waste sonic bullets.....anyone remember them?

I do remember them! The complete name if I remember correctly was "Wasp Waist Sonic Missile Tail Bullet." Can't remember if they were of "Herter's Model Perfect" quality or not. grin

My buddy and I bought one or two boxes, and shot them in our 270s. Don't think either of us ever used one on game.

Ted
Originally Posted by LowerRiver
My experience with them has me thinking they somehow contain mini grenades in them. Very explosive.

That is my memory of my uncle using them in his .300 Savage back in the '60s, very messy.
They look good, will kill pigs well enough. I got some 30 caliber in a bullet lot, eventually shot them up.
© 24hourcampfire