Home
Posted By: johnw Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
I own a couple of old style Lee Auto Primes, but am missing some of the parts to expand the cartridges i load for.

What priming system should I be looking at for purchase today?
Posted By: JGray Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
I've used press mounted, both versions of RCBS hand primers, the Hornady hand primer and now the Frankford Arsenal unit. Of those, the FA is my preference.
Posted By: smokinggun Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
If you want the best and willing to pay for it:

CPS Primer
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
Originally Posted by johnw
I own a couple of old style Lee Auto Primes, but am missing some of the parts to expand the cartridges i load for.

If you are doing volume or want a lifetime purchase go with the red Forster bench mounted unit, if like some of us you are deluded enough to think it actually makes an iota of difference go with the 21st Century hand held unit.
Posted By: HeavyLoad Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
IMO the best hand held is Frankfort Arsenal’s
Posted By: arky65 Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
Wh

What are you missing, have you tried contacting Lee directly?

lee precission miss spelled it but the link works
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
I like the old style Lee hand prime. Anyone try the new Lee unit?
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
Rcbs hand prime works for me.
Posted By: BC3 Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
RCBS automatic priming tool works for me although I'm not sure what is automatic about it. It is bench mounted and quick to use once you fill the primer tube. It has enough feel to determine when the primer pockets are getting loose. I didn't care for the RCBS handheld model - much preferred the older Lee handheld but they were a consumable item due to the thumb lever not lasting very long.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
Been using one of these for several years now. I like it well enough that I’ve quit looking for anything better. That’s a rare thing for me...

John

https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-powder-charging/bench-mounted/automatic-priming-tool/16-9460.html
Posted By: WVGuy Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
I used the original Lee tool for quite a while. I then got the next generation. It still works. I like the primer tray and not handling each primer.

I would be willing to part with the old one if anyone is interested.
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
I also love the RCBS Bench priming tool.
Posted By: johnw Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
Originally Posted by UncleAlps
I like the old style Lee hand prime. Anyone try the new Lee unit?

Yup
More PITA than it's worth
Posted By: 405wcf Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Been using one of these for several years now. I like it well enough that I’ve quit looking for anything better. That’s a rare thing for me...

John

https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-powder-charging/bench-mounted/automatic-priming-tool/16-9460.html

+2

John

Several recommends for this one makes me pay attention. RCBS's video made loading primers in the tubes look clumsy and slow.
Is there a better way?
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
Lyman Ram Prime.
Originally Posted by arky65
Wh

Yes... I did contact them and that's how I came to try the Auto Prime II. Waste of time and money.
Posted By: Utahunter Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
UncleAlps, I have an OLD Lee Auto Prime and a new one. I much prefer the old one and have primed over 10,000 rounds with it. I bought it back in 1983 and had to replace the link once, but Lee sent the link to me free of charge. I wouldn't use anything else.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
I don't know what is best and have only used 1 for the past 15 years. It is the RCBS bench mounted primer. I have it on wood and c clamp on the bench when needed.

I don't know what RCBS says about load9ng primers, but I use one of their flat plastic trays with a lid. After I dump the primers in the tray, I give it a few side shakes. When the primers are facing firing pin side up, I push the plastic tip part of the tube over each primer. Very easy, fast and not clumsy at all. If one or 2 primers are not faced right in the tray, I have tweezers to flip them over.

You can really feel the primer seat.

I think this particular priming tool will last a lifetime. It is going strong for the last 15 years.
Posted By: Uncas Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
Most precise Bonanza press. Second Bonanza tool, but it is a bit "fiddley "getting primers in the holder.
About two years ago I bought a LYMAN hand tool. Very very good.In fact I gave one to a friend just starting.

I have had LEE hand held and a >>>>>>>>>>>>>press mounted LEE that was in use by a friend who got a primer crossways and BOOM! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<ruined the housing still have the parts.

Wear Eyes and ears when priming! I also have a (LEE?) hand held where the shell holder threads into the top of the housing...you can adjust primer seating depth, mark the location and secure it with a little clear tape...
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Lyman Ram Prime.

It's funny you should say that. I haven't tried their system, but was going to suggest trying the Lee Ram Prime. They are kissing cousins. laugh

Like many people here, I have tried a bunch of different priming tools. When my RCBS universal tool broke, I grabbed a Ram Prime and found the simplicity refreshing. It's not the fastest. If you have to prime hundreds of cases in one sitting there are better alternatives, but it is simple and inexpensive. Sometimes, you just need quick and easy. It is also good to have around as a spare, should your primary system break.

Posted By: Ploughman Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
Beatz me. I use a Lyman Ideal tool, both the 310 and the pre-war Number 3, a 1970s-80s (I think) Lyman hand priming tool, and a Lee Ram Prime. They all seem to work just fine for the sort of reloading I do.
Posted By: 358WCF Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21

John

Several recommends for this one makes me pay attention. RCBS's video made loading primers in the tubes look clumsy and slow.
Is there a better way?

This is what I've been using for a long long time. Haven't watched the RCBS video, but I dump the # of primers I need into a flipper, get them all anvil side up, cover, flip, & pick them up with the small end of the tube. From start to finish 50 primers *MIGHT* take 3 or 4 minutes if you're lolligagging & clumsy is in the eye of the beholder.

I use an auto-prime at the range. Mine still works & there's a brand new old stock spare that I should probably sell now during the panic frenzy.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
RCBS Bench Primer.
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
I just replaced the thumb lever on my old Lee hand prime. Bought a new style lever from Midway for $2.50. It needs a little filing to fit the toggle but it's great having the old hand prime working again.

WHOOPS, looks like Larry raised the price to $5.50 :

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012828329?pid=272339
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21

Used the Lee hand prime tools for decades. Still have them and not getting rid of them anytime soon. Currently I use and like the RCBS Automatic Priming tool.
Posted By: hanco Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
I have several RCBS Hand primers. I like them.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21

Is there a better way?

It is slower to load and probably more clumsy. Also if you end up with more primers left in the tube than brass to prime it takes some manipulation to get them out without spilling. Once rolling though it is easier and faster,, and I like the way it "feels" when seating the primer.
Posted By: RickF Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
I couldn’t tell you which is the best. I can tell you that like some of the other guys I have used the same RCBS bench mounted tool for well over 20 years and it never occurs to me to try to find something better. It will be in the estate sale.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21
Originally Posted by JSTUART

If you are doing volume or want a lifetime purchase go with the red Forster bench mounted unit, if like some of us you are deluded enough to think it actually makes an iota of difference go with the 21st Century hand held unit.

It doesn't make a damn bit of difference. I've been running my press mounted RCBS unit for 25 years now, with no trouble
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/05/21

John

Is there a better way?

Didn't watch video but the tubes are very easy to load, they hold 100 primers and you can fill the tube in a minute or less. Use a primer tray with the little swirls on it so you can have all primers upright and just press on them with the plastic end of the tube to fill it up.
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/06/21
I
Originally Posted by Utahunter
UncleAlps, I have an OLD Lee Auto Prime and a new one. I much prefer the old one and have primed over 10,000 rounds with it. I bought it back in 1983 and had to replace the link once, but Lee sent the link to me free of charge. I wouldn't use anything else.

I agree, it's always worked great for me. I couldn't find any info on why they changed it.

Originally Posted by arky65
Wh

Yes... I did contact them and that's how I came to try the Auto Prime II. Waste of time and money.

I've heard this from many different people.
I asked Lee Precision why they changed from the old, round tray and tool.

The original Auto Prime with the round primer trays was discontinued in October 2010 because the primers being sold in the marketplace were more sensitive than they were in the past. The tool was becoming increasingly unsafe and for customer safety, they decided to rework the tool.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/06/21
Steve,

That's also what I heard from Lee, but they specified Federals as the primary problem. For a while I avoided using them the old-style Lee tools, but then decided to just go ahead--and have never had a problem. Maybe I'm nuts, but there it is.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/06/21
On a more general note here, I own several methods for priming, because I can't afford not to when a deadline is looming. Have kept all the "feeding" priming methods for the several presses I primarily use--three of which are turret presses.

But my ultimate back-up is the Lee kit for single-stage presses It includes both small and large primer holders, which slide into the typical press-ram, and a holder for the top of the press, which accommodates any standard shell-holder. It's relatively slow, but if I have shell-holder for the round, I can prime cases. Since I handload so many obscure and "irregular " rounds, it comes in handy. I primarily use it in a separate, cheap Lee single-stage C-press mounted on the bench to the side of my "real" presses, which also works very well for pulling bullets with an RCBS collet tool.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Steve,

That's also what I heard from Lee, but they specified Federals as the primary problem. For a while I avoided using them the old-style Lee tools, but then decided to just go ahead--and have never had a problem. Maybe I'm nuts, but there it is.

Richard Lee claimed that Federals were a problem in the 1970s. The rumour that circulated years ago concerned Richard Lee's feud with them. The story continued for many years. Lee Precision even put a warning in the instructions for their older, round priming tool.

The 2010 removal was not because of the alleged Federal problem. Having dealt with them for a long time, starting in the late 70s, while in the service, I felt Lee Precision thought it was time for a change. And John Lee had a lot to do with it.

Almost everyone I knew ignored the warnings and used Federals. The old priming tool was very popular with competition shooters. Most of us used it because it was the fastest and the best priming tool at the time.

Your second post refers to the Lee Ram Prime I mentioned earlier. I provided a video for it. As I said earlier, they are inexpensive and work quite well. They just aren't the best if you need to load a few hundred cartridges.

I thought I should include this. We had a discussion some time back about various priming tools. Link here.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...47/let-s-hear-it-for-the-equipment-snobs
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/06/21
RCBS bench is what i have been using for years after using the Lee handheld unit.

It costs about 125 bucks but it is worth it.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/06/21

I loaded as many Fed 210 and 215 primers with my old style Lee handheld priming tools as all other rifle primers combined, and did it for 30+ years. I think I read somewhere at one time not to use Fed primers with the Lee tool...........
Posted By: WAM Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/06/21
Same here. Primed untold numbers of cases over the years with the old Lee Auto Prime. BS abounds!
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/06/21
I have the older RCBS hand tool and cuss it every time I use it. They fall apart when I change shell holders and won't accept many of the shell holders unless I ruin a couple of drill bits, hogging out the hole at the bottom of the shell holders.

I firmly believe that someone in Oroville years ago found some left over junk parts and stuck together the prototype.

But, it's what I have, and I'm cheap.
Posted By: swampkid Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/06/21
If you got the cash the cps from Primal Rights is as good as it gets.
Posted By: 222ND Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/07/21
I can tell you which ones I don’t like. Hornady handheld(20 year old version), newer Lee handheld, and the new Frankfort arsenal handheld.
Posted By: johnw Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/07/21
Originally Posted by 222ND
I can tell you which ones I don’t like. Hornady handheld(20 year old version), newer Lee handheld, and the new Frankfort arsenal handheld.

I think your's is the first downcheck here on the FA handheld. What specifically do you not like?

It looks like the primer tray is on the wrong side, to me
Posted By: johnw Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/07/21
As to bench units, the Forster is interesting in that it uses an adjustable set of clips instead of a shell holder, and the primers load from a tray into the tubes. Adjusting the shell holder clips may take a few minutes when you change from say, .44 mag to .222, but it looks easy and simple to use in process.

Anyone here use the Forster?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/07/21

John

Ditto for me.

DF
Posted By: horse1 Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/07/21
I have the 21st Century click adjustable that uses the newer square Lee Auto Prime trays. It's much better than a Lee Auto-Prime for priming really tight pockets like virgin Lapua brass.

I don't need the click adjustable function I just wanted the extra leverage and a tool I didn't have to load the primers one at a time.

Anything I can load on one of the Dillons gets primed via the Dillon.
Originally Posted by horse1
I have the 21st Century click adjustable that uses the newer square Lee Auto Prime trays. It's much better than a Lee Auto-Prime for priming really tight pockets like virgin Lapua brass.

Yes, that's the only negative I noticed. I got a second Lee Auto Bench Prime, after they fixed the trouble with misfeeds. It does not like tight primer pockets.

I started using the Lee press mounted priming tool after my RCBS universal broke, but only for tight pocketed brass.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/08/21
As to bench units, the Forster is interesting in that it uses an adjustable set of clips instead of a shell holder, and the primers load from a tray into the tubes. Adjusting the shell holder clips may take a few minutes when you change from say, .44 mag to .222, but it looks easy and simple to use in process.

Anyone here use the Forster?

Oh hell no...cut a small opening (for the tube) in to the side of a flip tray and cover, and use that to load the tube.

It is quick and simple...if you use the flat tray bed to load the tube you will throw the unit after the first session.

Oh...and I used my Forster for fifteen years of roo shooting.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/08/21

Adjusting the unit is simple, hold an unprimed case on the relevant priming rod and simply move each of the three sections in to hold the case (slightly loose fit is required).

Bolt or screw the Forster unit to your bench and use it there.
Posted By: Brad Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/08/21
Originally Posted by Esox357
Rcbs hand prime works for me.

Color me simple, same here.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/08/21
I have the RCBS, but still keep a couple of the old, dangerous Lee units set up because the RCBS has trouble hanging on to certain cases. Other than that minor issue, the RCBS is fine.
Posted By: rifletom Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/08/21
RCBS hand held primer seems to work fine for my needs. No complaints as of yet.
Posted By: johnw Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/08/21
If I had a nickel for every hundred cases I've primed with the original Lee Auto Prime while sitting here pondering the wisdom of the 'fire...

But often enough the good do die young

And great designs will pass away due to the ignorant or the careless...
Posted By: rost495 Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/08/21
Originally Posted by BC3
RCBS automatic priming tool works for me although I'm not sure what is automatic about it. It is bench mounted and quick to use once you fill the primer tube. It has enough feel to determine when the primer pockets are getting loose. I didn't care for the RCBS handheld model - much preferred the older Lee handheld but they were a consumable item due to the thumb lever not lasting very long.

Before others came along to me, LEE used to ship parts for their primer tools to me by the multiples of 3 or 5 at a time IIRC. We would prime 20K plus a year and those levers etc.. just would not hold up.

My favorite hand tool is the APS strip system from RCBS. I like the auto case holder but it doesn't really work that great at times on hard to prime cases.

Anymore now don't load more than 20-50 at a time and the press mounted one works ok for that.
Posted By: johnw Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/10/21
Picked up a returned Forster Co-Ax unit. Will likely get the chance to try it this weekend.

It isn't just primers that are hard to find...
Posted By: johnw Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/14/21
Picked up a returned Forster Co-Ax unit. Will likely get the chance to try it this weekend.

It isn't just primers that are hard to find...

Put the Forster Primer Press to the test last night. I intended to use it primarily for handgun cartridges. Right off the bat I couldn't find my .44 shell holder so I did 200 rounds of .38 Special and then switched to rifle cartridges. Did 100 of .300 Savage, and then 100 of 7RM.

The press works very well with everything I've tried so far. 1 set screw holds the large/small primer pusher assembly in place and the switch over is dead easy. Love the adjustable clips that take the place of a shell holder. Also dead easy to set and use. A 5/32" Allen comes with the unit to adjust the clips

I wanna say that this is just as simple, and almost as quick as the Lee Auto Prime. And it's actually easier on my arthritic hands. If it makes a difference the LAP is easier to work from the recliner. I want a table or bench for the Forster unit.

I got the plastic flip tray with the unit and it makes loading the primers into the tube a snap. One small criticism is that the large primer tube isn't quite long enough to hold 50 primers so I had to do a third partial fill on each 100 large primers.

Overall a very positive experience, and I'd recommend the system to about anyone.
Posted By: johnw Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/14/21
That .44 shell holder is gonna drive me crazy. Likely haven't used it since the 1980s, but i keep them all in the same little box. Seen it there hundreds of times. No reason for it to be anywhere else. Looked an hour for it last night and close to an hour this morning.

Walked into that room how many thousands of times, I always do a little inventory in my head. I've KNOWN the contents of that box for longer then we've lived here.
Maybe I'm getting old, but that throws me almost as much as stepping off a 2" drop off unexpectedly
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/19/21
I started out using the priming arm on the press, then got myself a Lee Autoprime (with the round tray). Then I tried the RCBS version of the same, found it better ergonomically and it has safety features the Lee does not have. I finally bough another just like it because I got tired of swapping the parts out to seat different primer sizes, and I liked that system the last ten or fifteen years...but time is cruel, and my hands ache a little more these days.

Based on what I've read here in this thread, I decided to give the RCBS bench mount priming system a try. I have to say---I am surprised at the ease of use and just how well I can feel a primer bottoming out in the primer pocket. Seeing the primer tube waving around is a little disconcerting at first, but after seating 50 I'm good with it. I wish I'd tried one when they first became available.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/19/21
Some folks complain that the tube slams back after seating. Just ease the handle up to solve that.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/19/21
I have several priming systems, and especially like the older Lee hand tool and the APS strip system Rost mentioned.

But since I often load pretty odd cartridges, one of my most-used is the inexpensive Lee Ram-Prime--which consists of a pair of small and large primer seaters, and a fitting for 7/8" press-threads that allows the use of any standard shell-holder. It ain't fast, but fits on any standard press. As long as you have a shell-holder for that cartridges (or something close) you're good to go, even when loading something like the 9,3x72R.
Posted By: AU338MAG Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/19/21
I use the Frankford Arsenal hand priming tool. Good feel and adjustability. Also use the priming system on my Forster Co Ax press. Adjustable to any cartridge, just a little slow to place each primer by hand and a little bit of a PITA to change set up for different case heads.

Wore out the last of my old Lee hand priming tools several years ago. Great example of a company fixing something that isn't broken and Fuggin it up in the process.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/19/21
Lee all the way here. The old style hand AutoPrime for small runs of ammo. Lee Auto Bench primer for 100s of cases.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/19/21
I like my Forster Co-Ax press top primer the best followed by the Lee Ram Prime. Not fast at all but works reliably and I’m used to the feel. Tried the Lee hand press (small for larger hands created fatigue) & the RCBS hand prime was overly complicated (to me lol)

Posted By: jonesmd4 Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/19/21
I use the old style Lee round hand primer that came with the Anniversary kit I bought thirty years ago and like it a lot. I lost the small primer rod and bought one of the newer square Lee safety primers, which jammed every five or six primers. Fortunately a friend gave me the small primer rod I needed and I'm back in business. I also use the built in primer on my RCBS Rockchucker IV. It's a little slow, but is great when you have a case or two that refuse to go in the Lee shell holders. It also lets me prime any oddball case that I have a standard shell holder for.
Originally Posted by jonesmd4
...bought one of the newer square Lee safety primers, which jammed every five or six primers. Fortunately a friend gave me the small primer rod I needed and I'm back in business.

It sounds like you got one of the first Lee tray/adapters that had the jamming and misfeed problems. I would contact Lee. They will probably send out a new adapter and tray. Those problems seem to have been corrected. This is a link to the Lee Auto Bench Prime update. I posted some pictures on how to tell if you are getting the upgraded ABR. Scroll down and you will see the pix.

Lee Auto Bench Prime Update

[Linked Image from fsreloading.com]
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Best Priming Set-Up? - 03/20/21
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14302760/re-priming-tool
© 24hourcampfire