Home
Posted By: mart Labradar helpful hint - 01/03/22
Found out last night the auxiliary battery pack works to charge a cell phone. You guys probably already knew that. We were out off power and phone was getting low. Power is back on for now but winds are still raging.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/05/22

I use an Anker battery pack to run my Labrador, it is intended to charge cell phones……….
Posted By: Llama_Bob Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/05/22
Yup the USB standard doesn't care what's on either end of the cable very much. I've got a couple power bricks and they're handy for the Labradar, hunting/camping where you want to be sure you can make a call even in the cold, and emergencies..
Posted By: Charlie-NY Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/05/22
I use a cordless mattress air pump to cool the bore between groups. It usually doesn't have enough battery life to last the 3hr shooting session. I stuck a USB Y adapter in my LabRadar ext battery and it easily runs both.
Posted By: Llama_Bob Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/05/22
Originally Posted by Charlie-NY
I use a cordless mattress air pump to cool the bore between groups. It usually doesn't have enough battery life to last the 3hr shooting session. I stuck a USB Y adapter in my LabRadar ext battery and it easily runs both.

That's a good idea. I;ve got one of those fan chamber flags that someone gave me, but it doesn't move enough air to get the job done much faster than just waiting.
Posted By: GSSP Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/06/22
Last two years I ran an external battery which would charge a cell phone or start a truck. I don't understand the engineering but twice it fried a circuit or chip in my Labradar. Labradar, twice warranteed it, saying it was a one in a million chance it would happen once but twice? They told me to get a difference external battery as they would not warrantee it a 3rd time. I got the exact same battery they sell on there website.

Alan
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/07/22
Milwaukee M-18 cordless tool battery and aftermarket USB adapter....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: RickBin Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/07/22
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Milwaukee M-18 cordless tool battery and aftermarket USB adapter....

Hey that looks nifty. Where'd ya get that? Does that serve as a base for the unit as well? Looks like it might. Save me having to lug another tripod to the range.
No, the battery just sits on my homemade base. A chunk of Corian with a ballhead screwed to it.....

Posted By: kingston Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/07/22
This my solution.

I use a similar battery and USB adapter, but the Makita version. My case is also the stand.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: RickBin Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/07/22
Thanks to you both. Got my wheels spinning over here.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/07/22
Great ideas, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: LFC Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/07/22
I'd be careful with those big batteries....so careful I'd never hook one to mine.
It's OK, LFC. It is safe, as long as you wear your mask......

Or, you could suit up in a full-blown rubber acid suit in case that pesky 'big battery' decides to explode all over you. But don't forget a faceshield and hip boots. A guy can never be 'so careful...... Good fugging grief......
Posted By: mart Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/07/22
I was surprised how well the Labradar external battery holds up in the cold. Last week it was in the mid teens. I was at the range for four hours. Only got down to 68%.
Posted By: denton Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/07/22
I line the Corian idea better than the steel plate that LabRadar sells... lighter. Good idea.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/07/22
Great minds think alike... grin

Made with a piece of ½" thick UHMW nylon. Mount is from one of those free tripods you get when you buy some spotting scopes, good for precision adjustments. Sony portable power pack/cell phone charger supplements the internal batteries

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: LFC Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/08/22
Originally Posted by GSSP
Last two years I ran an external battery which would charge a cell phone or start a truck. I don't understand the engineering but twice it fried a circuit or chip in my Labradar. Labradar, twice warranteed it, saying it was a one in a million chance it would happen once but twice? They told me to get a difference external battery as they would not warrantee it a 3rd time. I got the exact same battery they sell on there website.

Alan

I guess you guys missed this.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/08/22
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by GSSP

Alan

I guess you guys missed this.

His power pack is the problem... wink

I've been running my Labradar for over five years with the power pack I've described without any issues. That's including capturing 25 plus shot strings during prone matches. YMMV
Posted By: Judman Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/09/22
Originally Posted by huntsman22
It's OK, LFC. It is safe, as long as you wear your mask......

Or, you could suit up in a full-blown rubber acid suit in case that pesky 'big battery' decides to explode all over you. But don't forget a faceshield and hip boots. A guy can never be 'so careful...... Good fugging grief......

Haha god damn er Don!! 😂😂
Posted By: GSSP Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/09/22
Here's a trick. Don't shoot over a target backer to get to a further target. The close target backer will scatter the radar and you won't get a velocity. Here I'm shooting at the 100 yd target but the 25 yd back is scattering the radar.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: LFC Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/09/22
Make sure it's not set on doppler
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/09/22
“Doppler” is simply one of the trigger modes of the Labradar but the unit uses doppler radar for its readings no matter what trigger mode you’re using. As soon as the unit sees a velocity (a doppler shift), it starts doing its thing. In this case, it’s a doppler shift on an “opening” target. It’s not actually seeing the bullet, it’s seeing the frequency shift of the radar that’s being reflected off the base of the bullet.
Posted By: LFC Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/10/22
I'm no radar X'spurt....although I have been X rayed a couple times.

Just passing on what the guy from Labradar told me....

Use the trigger setting for high powder rifles.

If I heard him right he said trigger setting causes the radar to activate when It feels the percussion.

Doppler is a setting used for big slow moving objects it activates when an object passes through its path....he said not to use the Doppler setting on high powered rifles.

Feel free to correct me like i said I'm not a radar X'spurt.

You fellers from Mississippi sound pretty smart about your radar...

Posted By: navlav8r Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/10/22
You tend to learn a lot about radars in 20+ years of performing aircraft intercepts. While teaching new RIO’s how to recognize and get around jamming, chaff, etc., using aircraft pulse, pulse doppler and track-while-scan radars you had to know how they work and what they’re showing you. 😊

I like to position the unit back far enough, normally beside the receiver, that I can manipulate the buttons without getting up. I was missing readings with the unit that far aft when I initially used the normal “trigger” mode so I switched to the “doppler” trigger. Works better for me.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/10/22
Originally Posted by LFC
I'm no radar X'spurt....although I have been X rayed a couple times.

Just passing on what the guy from Labradar told me....

Use the trigger setting for high powder rifles.

If I heard him right he said trigger setting causes the radar to activate when It feels the percussion.

Doppler is a setting used for big slow moving objects it activates when an object passes through its path....he said not to use the Doppler setting on high powered rifles.

Feel free to correct me like i said I'm not a radar X'spurt.

You fellers from Mississippi sound pretty smart about your radar...

It's very simple. The triggered setting uses less battery power by only activating the radar emission when a muzzle blast is detected. Doppler setting, in contrast, enables radar emission constantly, which is necessary for projectiles that cannot produce a blast large enough to trigger the unit. The downside to "doppler" mode is that it consumes more battery power.
Originally Posted by navlav8r

I like to position the unit back far enough, normally beside the receiver, that I can manipulate the buttons without getting up.

In Labradar skool they teach you how to operate it from your cell phone.
Originally Posted by denton
I line the Corian idea better than the steel plate that LabRadar sells... lighter. Good idea.

Labradar stopped selling the plate.

I asked them why and they told me that if a guy was shooting prone low to the ground the unit wouldn't pic up the reading so they stopped offering the flat plate and only offer the tripod.

That's what he said.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to argue about what he said.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/10/22
I shoot prone alla time with the corian plate and never miss a reading. I even use the plate from a bench. Just slide the other bench over and set it on that.......

Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/10/22
Originally Posted by LFC

I asked them why and they told me that if a guy was shooting prone low to the ground the unit wouldn't pic up the reading so they stopped offering the flat plate and only offer the tripod.

That's what he said.

lol...

I have the plate and shoot prone most often. I originally wondered if the unit that close to the ground would cause problems, but have been doing it successfully for three years now.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/10/22
“Doppler” is simply one of the trigger modes of the Labradar but the unit uses doppler radar for its readings no matter what trigger mode you’re using. As soon as the unit sees a velocity (a doppler shift), it starts doing its thing. In this case, it’s a doppler shift on an “opening” target. It’s not actually seeing the bullet, it’s seeing the frequency shift of the radar that’s being reflected off the base of the bullet.

If I understand you correctly.......even when the unit is "armed" I assume it is transmitting, but when in trigger mode and armed it still requires the muzzle blast to trigger the radar. What is being triggered once it is armed?
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/10/22
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

If I understand you correctly.......even when the unit is "armed" I assume it is transmitting, but when in trigger mode and armed it still requires the muzzle blast to trigger the radar. What is being triggered once it is armed?

When it is armed it is waiting for a trigger event, but is not transmitting yet.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/11/22

Got it.
Thanks Jordan!
Posted By: LFC Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/11/22
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by LFC

That's what he said.

lol...

I have the plate and shoot prone most often. I originally wondered if the unit that close to the ground would cause problems, but have been doing it successfully for three years now.

I would guess it would depend on how flat the ground was....just a guess.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/11/22
Originally Posted by LFC

I would guess it would depend on how flat the ground was.

The plate comes with a ball type head that can be adjusted to keep the unit squared up regardless of the angle the plate is sitting.
Posted By: LFC Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/11/22
You being from Colorado I figure you must not have seen too much flat ground....
Posted By: LFC Re: Labradar helpful hint - 01/13/22
Here tell Able Ammo had some Labradars today....
© 24hourcampfire