Home
Hello All,

This beautiful rifle was built in the 1960s. Its a custom FN Mauser in 243 Win caliber. I'm still researching the History to determine the exact maker. There are only 4 possibilities, - Weatherby, Winslow, O'Brien, and A&M. All 4 of these Companies employed Nils Hultgren as their premiere stock maker. The action is fully engraved, and the stock is wonderful fiddle-back Maple with walnut forend tip and grip cap. It has a carved ivory inlay of a Boar on a black ebony background that is signed by Nils Hultgren at the bottom. The other large inlay is an ebony Boar silhouette on an ivory background. The stock also has diamond shaped ivory/ebony side inlays. In addition there are 2 gold inlays - the one on the bottom of the floorplate is another Boar, and the one on the bottom of the trigger guard is a bear. I added a vintage Redfield 4x-12x ranging scope, and field tested it yesterday with excellent groups. This is sure to be the great Hog-Killer as it was intended by the original owner.

[Linked Image]
http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/FN-243-000.jpg
Good find....That is a beauty Buckstix !
Screams pre-Beatles 1960s Weatherby. Pretty wild, but there was a run of "glitz" back then.
A face only a mother could love.
I can't help but imagine my shock and awe, to turn a phrase, if I were to cross paths with a hunter in the field carrying such a rifle.

The online pics are remarkable enough.
It’s possible to not care for the styling, but still admire the workmanship.

Garish is the word that comes to mind.
Must be in the eye of the beholder, to me it is terrible.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
It’s possible to not care for the styling, but still admire the workmanship.

Garish is the word that comes to mind.

I agree. I’m not into flashy rifles but I can appreciate the time, artistic talent and amazing craftsmanship that goes into a work of art like that. I’ve never cared for maple stocks no matter what they looked like but that’s the beauty of being an individual….we only gotta please ourselves. 👍🏼

The engraving is exceptional but I’m not so crazy about the manatee engraved on the trigger guard…..😂 (2nd from bottom)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
That’s some fine work except for the safety. Almost seems he wasn’t sure what he wanted to do there.
Awesome custom rifle……..a great example of craftmanship
Hello all,

It's a shame we have no Artisans left in the stock making business today that can create such fine works of art. Seems like the makers of today, in spite of some charging exorbitant prices, make stocks that all look commonly the same. And, although we occasionally see actions and barrels with engraving and gold inlays, other than those with fancy figured grain, the stocks look very boring to me. I know some don't like such flashy rifles, I'm 72 years old, and I lived during the time when various companies competed in making custom rifles look like works of art. As you may have seen in my previous posts, I like them and collect them, and hunt with them. It makes me re-live my youth.

**UPDATE**

I've begun diligently searching through the 1,700 entries in my copies of the Winslow production records. I'm hoping I can find this rifle referenced there.

In the mean time, I've completed a field test that proved that the rifle shoots as great as it looks. No doubt I'll be taking it afield this Fall.

[Linked Image]
Nothing wrong with sitting in a stand holding a pretty rifle.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Nothing wrong with sitting in a stand holding a pretty rifle.
Yes,
It gives something to look at and admire while waiting for game.
Originally Posted by KEVIN_JAY
That’s some fine work except for the safety. Almost seems he wasn’t sure what he wanted to do there.

Due to the position of the safety on those actions, it is very difficult to inlet the stock to accomodate it and keep smoothly flowing lines through the wood while properly supporting the tang of the action.
All that work and the stock isn't checkered? A un-checkered stock just never looks quit right to me.
I've never seen checkering on a maple stock that looked good.

It just looks like a black shape on the wood from more than 5 feet.
Originally Posted by blairvt
All that work and the stock isn't checkered? A un-checkered stock just never looks quit right to me.
Hello blairvt,

HoosierHaw is correct. Most High Figure Maple stocks are left un-checkered so as not to hide the beauty of the wood.
Originally Posted by buckstix
Originally Posted by blairvt
Hello blairvt,

HoosierHaw is correct. Most High Figure Maple stocks are left un-checkered so as not to hide the beauty of the wood.
My Dad left me a Browning x-bolt with a Maple stock. Not high figured maple but still attractive. Its checkered and not black at all. I have seen the Remington maple stocks with the black checkering and agree its very unattractive. I thought Remington did that on purpose for some reason
I only have one other gun with a Maple stock. Its a Custom Remington XP-100 in 7mm-08 caliber.
The workmanship is outstanding.
Heads up references: GunBoards: https://www.gunboards.com/threads/c...tgren-stock-w-ivory-gold-inlays.1245636/

I think its perfectly OK to "shotgun" inquires between differing Forums seeking best information. I think its NOT OK 'if' manipulating Post content in manner apparently creating a dialogue most supportive of an O/P's personal agenda.

As researching the O/P's central issue presented... A couple of minutes Googling, produced an apparent definitive answer: http://www.winslowrifles.com/

Best!
John
Saw one similar to that on approaching a fellow deer hunter who was watching an opposing slope. As we were having a whispered conversation, a muley appeared about 80 yds off slowly foraging perpendicular to us. He missed it twice from a sitting position.

I was packing my $99.95 Rem 600 in a 6mm.

That is fine work there. Envious of both the acquisition and the ability to generate such a product.
Originally Posted by 1minute
I was packing my $99.95 Rem 600 in a 6mm.
That is fine work there. Envious of both the acquisition and the ability to generate such a product.
Hello 1minute,
Thanks for the reply.

Such fine workmanship hasn't been seen in decades, and likely will never be seen again. All the artisan stock-makers are long gone.

As a side note, I have half-a-dozen Rem 600's, and still hunt with my 6.5 and 350 mag. I lend my 308 and 35 Rem to family during hunting season, and I fox hunt with my 222. I really like those.
buckstix:

For their original price ($99.95) back in about 1963, those 600's are fine little guns. Great triggers and accurate. My first new in box rifle as a youngster, replacing an $18 Army/Navy store British 303 that would separate the cartridge base with every firing of a reload. I only have the one 600, and Cookie has pretty much taken it over for mule deer and pronghorn. Sixty years of memories with whitetail, mule deer, pronghorn, bear, and a ton of woodchucks attached to that rifle.

Have a good one,
Originally Posted by iskra
Heads up references: GunBoards: https://www.gunboards.com/threads/c...tgren-stock-w-ivory-gold-inlays.1245636/

I think its perfectly OK to "shotgun" inquires between differing Forums seeking best information. I think its NOT OK 'if' manipulating Post content in manner apparently creating a dialogue most supportive of an O/P's personal agenda.

As researching the O/P's central issue presented... A couple of minutes Googling, produced an apparent definitive answer: http://www.winslowrifles.com/

Best!
John

John, it seems to me you see “ personal agendas”hiding behind every tree. There’s more out there than factory Winchesters and Weatherbys. Kudos to Buckstix if he collects and documents old rifles that may or may not tickle your fancy.
Originally Posted by ismith
John, it seems to me you see “ personal agendas”hiding behind every tree. There’s more out there than factory Winchesters and Weatherbys. Kudos to Buckstix if he collects and documents old rifles that may or may not tickle your fancy.
Hello ismith,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, you are "spot on" - I enjoy sharing about my collected treasures, in spite of some naysayers. Search "rifle" with display name "buckstix" on ths forum (and other forums) to see hundreds of my posts over the years. Search Google with "buckstix forum" to see thousands of posts.
© 24hourcampfire