Home
Posted By: himmelrr Federal Fusion - 09/04/23
I know Federal is making loaded ammo in the Fusion line but my question is do you think they will be available as a componenet bullet again?

If not, what is a good substitute in a bonded bullet. Price is really not a concern and I am shooting a 7mm-08 so no need for solid copper IMO. My rifle has shot 139gr Interlocks nicely and may go that route. I guess I could try the 154 Interlocks on my elk trip. What are people's opinions on a 139gr for elk?
Posted By: duke61 Re: Federal Fusion - 09/04/23
139 gr Interlock might be a little light for elk in my opinion especially if you hit the shoulder, 154 might be the ticket for you.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Federal Fusion - 09/04/23
Norma’s 156 gr Oryx bullet would be worth considering IMO.
Posted By: czech1022 Re: Federal Fusion - 09/05/23
The 154gr Interlock is legendary for elk - do a search like this:

site: www.24hourcampfire.com 154gr Interlock for elk

Pay attention to the OLD ones!

PS: the 139gr is no slouch, either!
Posted By: MOW Re: Federal Fusion - 09/09/23
I shoot a 7mm-08, but not for elk, just deer and hogs. I would use 140 all copper or 150 (154) cup/core for elk.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Federal Fusion - 09/09/23
Originally Posted by himmelrr
I know Federal is making loaded ammo in the Fusion line but my question is do you think they will be available as a componenet bullet again?

If not, what is a good substitute in a bonded bullet. Price is really not a concern and I am shooting a 7mm-08 so no need for solid copper IMO. My rifle has shot 139gr Interlocks nicely and may go that route. I guess I could try the 154 Interlocks on my elk trip. What are people's opinions on a 139gr for elk?

Yes, the Fusion is a "bonded" bullet, but the jacket's relatively thin. Consequently Fusions expand very widely, so don't penetrate all that deeply, despite retaining considerable weight. In my experience the 139-grain Interlock penetrates deep very well, because it doesn't expand as widely.

Many bonded bullets expand wider than other "premium" bullets, the reason they often don't penetrate as deeply, or exit as often--despite the high retained weight.
Posted By: JPro Re: Federal Fusion - 09/09/23
+1 on that notion of high weight retention combined with wide expansion. Makes them fantastic deer bullets. They’ll leave very nice exits on lungs without having the tendency to fragment and tear up lots of meat on shoulders. Seems like I recall the design team creating what they thought was a perfect deer bullet.
Yep, Federal designed them primarily as an "affordable" yet reliable deer bullet.
Posted By: MOW Re: Federal Fusion - 09/09/23
I know the guys I hunt with in the woods of PA speak highly of them (Federal fusion) for deer and bear.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Federal Fusion - 09/09/23
Thanks all for the good discussion on the history of the Fusion bullet. I have good success with them on deer in my 338Fed with both 185s and 200s. It is a great deer bullet and figured it would work for elk too. Maybe the 154 Interlock is the way to go.
I was planning on taking some loads with 165 Fusions in my 30-06 as an extra rifle on the trip. I have good loads for 180gr Interlocks that I could take as an alternative. Is the 30 cal 165 Fusion too soft for an elk too?
Not if you put it in the right place.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Ain't that the truth! I have not lost an elk yet with a rifle or muzzleloader so I know how and where to them.
Posted By: DoeDumper Re: Federal Fusion - 09/14/23
Im late here but I use the 154 interlock in my 7-08 and love it. Very easy to get moa with several powders.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Federal Fusion - 09/14/23
Originally Posted by himmelrr
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Ain't that the truth! I have not lost an elk yet with a rifle or muzzleloader so I know how and where to them.

Have also killed a couple with old-fashioned 2-blade broadheads. If you hit 'em in the right place they don't go much farther than with "premium" bullets even in a "magnum" rifle round.
© 24hourcampfire