Home
My father only owned three hunting guns his whole life, and he was an avid hunter. I recently inherited them and was going down memory lane with them today. I bought him a scoped 30-06 which he liked to shoot targets with, but he gave it back and said he did not need it. He never hunted with it.

His 3 gun battery was: Win. Mod 12 shotgun in 12 ga, Win. Mod. 94 in 30-30, and a Win. Mod. 61 in 22 that he scoped in later years.

My Grandfathers 3 gun battery was: Win. Mod 12 Shotgun in 12 ga, an early Remington 760 in 300 Savage that had a Pachmayr Swing-Lo scope mount and a Weaver K-4 scope, and an open sight Win. Mod. 61 22.

What is your favorite old school 3 gun hunting battery?
Winchester 75 Sporter, Winchester 70 in 30-06, and Winchester 12 in 12 gauge.

Remington 121, Remington 141 in 35 REM, and Remington 29 in 12 gauge.
I cheat.

Kreighoff drilling in SXS 16ga over a 7X65R (pretty much a 280 Rem) and a 22 LR shotgun barrel insert. It wears a 1.5-6 Zeiss in claw mounts.

Traditional 3-gun battery for N America:

3-digit Mdl 70 30-06 with 3-9 American made Burris

Browning B80 3" 12ga with 26" invector, 28" invector, and 22" slug barrels

Marlin Golden 39 with a Lyman Alaskan CH scope
My dad's Lefever 12 gauge double barrel, Remington M760 pump-action .30-06, and a Winchester M67 single shot .22 rimfire.

When I could hit regular-like with the .22, I graduated to the M1 Garand, which he taught me to shoot out to 400 yards.
If I needed to choose from what's here now...

Remington 511 .22
Ithaca 37 20 gauge
M98 257 Roberts sporter
When I was kid.

Mossberg 146 22 from my dad.
1894 Win 32Spl from a family friend.
Savage 12GA single shot from bus boy tips.

Still have the Mossberg and the Winchester
Most true “hunters” that I’ve known were NOT “gun guys” and didn’t have much use for anything beyond what met their needs and reliably brought home meat. They didn’t care much about bullet construction as long as it shot straight and killed what it hit……oftentimes they preferred 180’s for deer and 220’s for everything bigger…that was the extent of their foray into external ballistics. There certainly weren’t the myriad of choices back then either. For a capable rifleman there really aren’t too many “wrong” choices of brands, calibers or styles, each being unique to the rifleman/hunter’s preferences and maybe perhaps intended quarry….at least for the real forward thinking hunter of the day. 😀

My father in law grew up in the logging camps and fishing villages of Alaska back in the 50’s so, as a teenager when he saw the biggest black bear of his life (and he’d seen a lot in his young life) he had to buy the rifle the Indian used, a model 53 in 25-20, which is proudly and forever in my “collection”. I hardly consider the 25-20 big bear medicine but that old native thought it good enough and my father in law didn’t know any better…..until he got to Kodiak. 😀. He had a different rifle for Kodiak that he and his brother left there and shared….a 25-06. That rifle almost cost his brother (uncle Rick) his life and even though the Kodiak skull sits proudly in Rick’s front entryway the rifle is somewhere out in the bay…they swore that 25-06 off after that experience and bought a brand new Winchester 70 in 7mm Rem Mag with 2 boxes of shells…in 1965 and then they never shot it and my father in law spent the next 10 years flying in SE Asia for Air America. My FIL’s dad held onto it for safe keeping while he was gone overseas and through the natural process of losing the one’s we most love I inherited that rifle. I took 3 shells (because I’m a sentimental fool) and fired it 3 times for chronograph numbers with the same shells they bought in 1965 before setting it up in a synthetic stock for use back where she first started life…Alaska. I have the brand new 1965 factory stock in a rifle sock and box but I’ll never swap it back out and the scars we share from here on just add to the story.

I spent my pre-teens, teens and young adulthood hunting with the only centerfire rifle I owned until I was mid 20’s it’s another cherished family possession that my grandpa bought me in the desert of Apache Junction at Diamond Jim’s gunshop, a Remington 788 in 30-30. That accompanied the .22 Glenfield bolt action rifle I got for Christmas 1980…another cherished possession of mine that is ALWAYS included in my “arsenals” of daydream requirements. 😀

The older I get the more the OLD guns mean to me and the more my connection to them grows as well as their souls seem to grow immeasurably deeper with time spent together afield. Once I’ve declared a deep and sentimental attachment to a particular firearm I don’t refinish it, we wear many of the same scars and that deepens the bond. This is my long winded way of saying mine WAS a Single shot 20ga Savage, Glenfield 25(iirc) and 788 in 30-30….nowadays I don’t think I could choose just 3 because I have too many that meant too much for those I loved and they allow me to still take a quiet walk through the woods with my most cherished people…
The batteries show your ages. Mine go like this:

1. Sporterized m1917 30-06
2. Ruger 10-22 deluxe walnut model
3. Left hand Remington 870 12 gauge, 28" barrel with fixed modified choke.
One of my early Montana hunting mentors had three hunting guns, a Model 70 Winchester .30-06 he bought the first year the Model 70 appeared; a Winchester Model 97 12-gauge with a 30" full-choke barrel, made in 1911 and purchased used; and a Marlin Model 81 tube-magazine .22 rifle. H

The Model 70 had a Bausch & Lomb low-power variable in B&L adjustable mounts, with a dot reticle on very fine crosshairs. He was one of the finest running-deer shots I've ever known, even in his late 60s when I first met him.

But as he got older and couldn't shoot as well, he decided both the Model 70 and Model 97 were "too heavy." He sold the .30-06 to one of his ne'er-do-well nephews, who promptly took it to the nearest "big" city and hocked it at a pawn shop. Then he decided to trade the 97 in on a cheap 20-gauge pump at the one sporting goods store in our little town, which offered him $75 in trade. He told me about it, but hadn't finished the deal yet. I bought it for $75, and shot it for many years, among many wild birds taking my first Canada goose.

Wasn't interested in the Marlin .22, as I'd purchased a used Model 81 at 13 with paper-route money--which I still have....

If paring my collection down today would keep these three:

Ultra Light Arms Model 24 .30-06, given to me by Melvin Forbes in 1996, which has taken big game from northern North America to southern Africa.

The Model 870 Remington 12-gauge magnum I ordered new through the Missoula, Montana J.C. Penny store in 1979--after the already-worn Model 97 became unreliable. It has also traveled some, from Canada to Argentina, and with a rifled slug barrel has taken deer, my biggest black bear, and (in Eileen's hands) a young cow moose.

As my rimfire would probably keep a Ruger American .22 Magnum purchased at a local store new for half-price in 2015. The price was apparently so low because at the time .22 Magnum ammo was unobtainable--but I had a considerable collection, including a brick of .22 Winchester ammo for small-game hunting. Its the most accurate .22 Magnum I've ever owned, and unlike many shoots well with just about any ammo.
.338 WinMag, .416 Rigby, .450 Dakota/Rigby
My Three Gun Battery as a kid and into/through college 50+ years ago was a .30-40 Krag carbine, Ithaca M37 12 gauge, and a Winchester M52A target rifle. The two rifles were purchased when in high school with paper route/snow shoveling/hay baling money to replace the Spanish Mauser 7mm and Mossberg (Actually New Haven el-cheapo version of Mossberg) .22 semi-auto which my Dad bestowed on me earlier. Those two rifles were deplorable and I often thought it was Pop's way of spurring me to acquiring better things by my own wits.

Of the three I still have the Mossberg .22 and the Ithaca, mainly because Dad gave the Ithaca to me for HS graduation in 1970. One of the few new fresh from the factory guns I ever owned! I've always owned Krags and could duplicate the old triumvirate by adding one of them from my collection to the Mossy and Ithaca pump gun.

My current Go-To Three pulled from my stash, for a basic "do everything" battery based solely on hunting requirements and not necessarily where my "shooting head" is at this time , would be:

1. Ruger No.1A 6.5x55 with Leupold 1.5-5x
2. LC Smith 12-bore 28" M&F
3. BRNO #2 with 4x Leupold FXII rimfire scope
Paring down with what's currently on hand:

1. Beretta 391 26". I'd have to think long and hard to decide 12 or 20 though as I don't hunt waterfowl.

2. 77/22Mag SS Boat Paddle w/NF 3-10x42 SHV/IHR

3. Kimber Montana 270Win w/1:8 Lilja @ 22" and 2.5-10x42 NXS w/IHR reticle

Non of the above have much "sentimental" value as I don't think I've owned/shot any of them for more than 10-12yrs. That said, if I'm having to choose 1 of each going forward then the above 3 get the nod because they're simply trouble free and most likely to stay that way a good long while.
Only 3 guns...oh the horror of it. BUT if I had to it would come down to these
275 Rigby built on a VZ24 action
Parker GHE 16ga two bbl set. 28 inch barrels skt/skt and M/F
Cooper Western Classic 22LR
My three gun hunting battery is as follows.
C.I.L. Model 900 ( Anschutz 54) in .222 Remington

Ruger #3 in .303 British built by Greydog

1878 Westely Richards 12 bore hammer double - I shoot this one with BP and brass cases or low pressure loads and Federal plastic cases with either Bismuth or lead.

I have hunted with the .222 since the late 60's, the Ruger since 2010, and the hammer gun since about 1996.
I have used others on occasion, but these are my main hunting guns.
Cat
Old school three gun battery. probably never happen around here! But give it a shot. Like my Marlin 783 22 mag and it would be #1, then I think I'd keep my mod 70 in 6.5x55 and for a heavy gun my 1903 custom 30-06. Recently added a 260 Rem mod 700 with a Lelja barrel I'd probably hide in the bedroom with my 25-06 mod 700 and my 243 Patriot! Oops! Forgot the shootgun. Be either my Aya or CZ 28 ga. And that makes four! Well I'd go with out a 30-06!

Honestly I simply don't hunt like I used to. Haven't used the 25-06 in several years and have hunted even deer with the 243 only a couple time's in my life. Have a 6.5x06 but the 30-06 does everything it can do and a bit more! If I could draw tag reasonably close to home where there public land I could hunt, I'd probably hunt more but been a few years since I drew a tag to hunt in the unit I live in and going to fat out simply runs me into to much private land or travel get's expensive. Bottom line huntinmg is simply getting to expensive for me anymore.
Back in the day, when I arrived in Washington State I had;

My Dad's 1957 Model 70 in .243
An Ithaca 20 gauge pump (made by Miroku) a HS graduation gift from my Grandfather
A 10/22 - First gun I ever bought myself $85 at Kmart

I could really still do most of what I do now with those three but where's the fun in that? From the collection today I'd pick.

Ruger #1 in 275 Rigby
Parker reproduction with 20 gauge and 16 gauge barrels (I cheated, sue me)
Winchester 52A Sporter. Although, I'd likely replace the scope. That vintage Ziess 2.5X, as cool as it is, seems to make things further away.
Marlin Deluxe 1881 in 32-40 with rocky mountain front sight and 28 inch octagon barrel.

Stevens Favorite 22L from 1915.

Ithaca 37 Featherlight in 20 Gauge from 1948.

or

1928 Sedgley Sporter in 30/06 with Lyman 48 receiver sight.

Remington Model 12 22LR

Browning A-5 12 gauge from 1926.

or

Savage 1899 b with 26 inch octagon barrel in 303 savage.

Winchester Model 61 22 LR, L, S

Winchester 71 in 348-450 Ackley Improved.
RAR .22rf, 16", switching between 10x SWFA and a thermal, on pic rail.

Guide model in .375R, but if I had one in '06 that would be the choice.

An old 12 ga Perazzi, if I'm sensible.
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
What is your favorite old school 3 gun hunting battery?

If I had to ..

1) Ruger 77/17 in .17 HMR
2) Kimber Montana .257 Roberts
3) Winchester High Wall .405 WCF

I'm not a shotgunner.
Originally Posted by Pugs
An Ithaca 20 gauge pump (made by Miroku) a HS graduation gift from my Grandfather

I was not aware that Ithaca had any Model 37's made in Japan. I know Miroku and SKB made sxs's and o/u's for them, but I never heard of Ithaca pumps made by anyone but Ithaca (in their several iterations.)
Of the guns I have today, the "all around" shotgun (a concept I refuse to embrace, but....) would have to be my 12 gauge Ruger Red Label. I've used it long and hard for every shotgun purpose. It's functioned perfectly, it's seemed bullet proof, and I can hit with it. CF rifle would be my Sako 85 6.5X55. Rimfire (and here I'll cheat a little bit) would be my Sako Quad. That's the practical selection.

Impractical but sentimental selection from what I have now would be (rimfire) Savage/Anschutz 141M .22 WMR. Centerfire would be my (original style) Ruger .44 carbine and shotgun would still be the Red Label.

I've always sort of envied the guys who get by with a 3 gun selection. I don't know how they do it. Both of my brothers only see guns as something to hunt with or carry for protection, they are not "gun guys" in any sense of the word, yet they each own probably 25 or 30 guns.
1. Winchester Model 12, 12 gauge 28" mod.
2. Winchester Model 61, .22 s,l,lr.
3.Winchester Model 1894, .30 WCF.

I received them for three consecutive Christmas's starting when I was twelve in 1966 (and in that order). My Dad was primarily a bird hunter so I guess that's why I got a shotgun first. Still have them all and use them on occasion.
My "Practical" 3-Gun Battery...

(1) Ruger Skeleton Stock 77/22 .22 LR
(2) Ruger Skeleton Stock M77 in .30-06
(3) Rem 870 or Win 1300 12 gauge

My "Slightly Less Practical" 3-Gun Battery

(1) CZ Heavy Barrel .17 HMR
(2) Ruger Skeleton Stock .35 Whelen
(3) Rem 11-87 12 gauge

My "Impractical" 3-Gun Battery

(1) Rem 700 6mm-06
(2) MRC 1999 .400 Whelen
(3) Weatherby Olympian 20 gauge O/U
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Pugs

I was not aware that Ithaca had any Model 37's made in Japan. I know Miroku and SKB made sxs's and o/u's for them, but I never heard of Ithaca pumps made by anyone but Ithaca (in their several iterations.)

You’re absolutely correct. Thanks for the correction. It was an SKB. Not sure why I remembered as an Ithaca.
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I cheat.

Kreighoff drilling in SXS 16ga over a 7X65R (pretty much a 280 Rem) and a 22 LR shotgun barrel insert. It wears a 1.5-6 Zeiss in claw mounts.

I might also mention that Bruce (luv2safari) let go of one of his excellent drillings around a dozen years ago--a Sauer 16x16/6.5x57R, which he admits is one of the most accurate "soldered barrel" drillings he's ever owned.

It had a 30mm Hensoldt 4x in claw mounts--which I still have as backup--but a couple years later had excellent local gunsmith John McLaughlin (www.mclaughlinmetalworks.com) modify a set of Talley 1" steel detachable rings to fit the bases, so I can use any 1" scope.

Since it also came with a .22 Magnum insert for the right-hand shotgun barrel (which is very accurate), it could easily be used for almost all my hunting in Montana. I have used it not only to take a wide variety of birds but big game, including a pronghorn buck. Oh, and the birds have included both spring and fall turkeys. (Only shotguns are legal in spring, but rifles are OK in autumn.)

If a little saner that's what I'd do, since the 6.5x57R is also a capable elk round. Oh, and the rifle barrel has the "trendy" 1-8 twist--even though the gun is around 3/4 of a century old.
mine would be my:
pre 64 M70 .270 featherweight
remy 870 12 ga that I bought at Target of all places in 1978 right after turning 12.
My dad's winchester single shot model 67
10-22, 30-06,12 gauge.
Mine is a Winchester 62A 22 pump, a Mauser in 270 Winchester, and a Mauser in 375H&H or 9.3X62. If 3 is the limit I would not have a shotgun.

I don't use a shotgun much. In the 30 years I have been in Wyoming including all hunts done out of state I have yet to fire100 shot shells total, and that includes killing varmints around the home.
Ruger 10/22 i got when 14,a Mossberg Model 600 with 28" C-Lect-Choke and an ad -on slug barrel with sights,goodn or the shotgun only woods i grew up hunting in & A Marlin 336 30/30.
Posted By: WMR Re: Go-to Old School 3 gun battery - 11/04/23
Only 3? Ouch! Hunting would be fine; just not as much fun.

1. 22lr bolt gun. Custom Shop Remington. Maybe slum a Browning 52.

2. 30-06. Mauser or Model 70 in a good synthetic stock.

3. 12ga double. My 30 inch Browning BSS would serve nicely but since only 1, probably a Model 21 or Ithaca NID. Yes, a modern O/U would be more practical. I don’t care. 🫤
My Dad’s three gun battery consisted of a Pre 64 Winchester M70 in 300 H & H, a Stevens bolt action .22 rimfire and a Savage 12 ga Autoloader,
Dad traded off the 12 ga, I shot a truck load of elk with the 300 H & H before trading it off for a light weight Kimber .308. The .22, ugly as sin has dispatched untold numbers of grouse and gophers & even my first called in Coyote. Still own the beast and wish I still had the H & H.
Is old school late 1800's to 1920's? Is it 1930's to 1960'? What defines old school timline?
The only hunter in my family while growing up was my grandfather on my mother's side. He used a 22bolt action of unknown lineage possibly sears or Montgomery ward, an iver johnson champion 12 with a 36 inch xfull choke, and a hunter arms double 12 26 mod full . He passed when I was 5 and the guns were left in the closet at grandma's till I was given them at age 16 or so. By then I was in the process of getting my own firearms and his were full of closet gunk ,so I cleaned them up and used them occasionally ,really liked the double but I was into duck hunting and steel shot was not good for it ,the 22 would group with the best of them but it needed an extractor and you had to use a pocket knife to get thr round out, made it slow when the squirrels were running ,and the ivr johnson was just a sledgehammer to shoot plus it would open on it's own when it was fired ,so I moved on to better things, 1st was a Winchester 190 22 auto, then as I got a job driving the school bus (yes in 1974 in north carloina the students could have a job as the bus driver) I managed to aquire a Remington 742 30 06 Redfield 3x9 scope that has since gone to someone that wanted it more than I did. The shotgun at that time was a rossi sxs 12 imp mod . I still have the 190 and the rossi take em out and play with em once in a while grandfather's guns went to a cousin who acquired the house and farm so it just seemed right to let grandad 's guns go home also.the cousin is a hunted and he can pass them along to his kids who also hunt
If we’re talking old school that I own. It would be a model 12 16 Ga, for a pump action shotgun. Remington model 11 if auto shotgun. A Mexican Mauser 7x57. A Winchester model 60A 22rf. The 60a was sold years ago and wish I had it back. Since I know longer have an old school 22, gonna have to make it a 2 gun battery.

My great grandfathers 3 gun battery would have looked a little different.
If rifles I think Jack O'Connor had a pretty decent handle on it: 222, 270 or 30/06 and 375 HH, but I think that was a 3 rifle battery deal.

I would go 22 LR, 308 and 12 gauge if pressed.
Model 24 Win side by side. Paid $125 and it remains the best dollar per shot gun I have ever bought.

Rem 541s. Does what a good 22 should do.

35 Whelen on a FN mauser action. Built by my father for me 40 years ago. It has been on every hunt but one since that time.
I always differed by using bolt action rifles and side by side shotguns. All my friends I grew up hunting with had a REM 760 in ‘06, a REM 870 12 gauge and a Marlin 22. And they still do.
My grandfather owned 3 guns........a Remington 12 gauge double barrel with hammers, a 22 S&W Kit Gun, and an old 32 Colt Police Positive. My dad had a Winchester Model 12 in 12 gauge, a Marlin 39-A 22, and a Remington 760 30-06. Later on he acquired an M1 Carbine. Now, he did like handguns and was always trading them, so he usually had 3 or 4 of those. Growing up, I had a Winchester Model 12 20 gauge and a Remington 511 22 rifle. Those two guns took care of all hunting needs, up to and including deer. Fortunately, I soon remedied that situation and didn't have to rely on just a few guns.
1903 Springfield from the armory in 30-06. Was given to me by a friend of my dads when I was 5. Still not sure if he was trying to wind up my ol man or just generous when he had me walk home with it in the middle of the Viet Nam era. Traded it for my first car. Would still like another.
Parker. Don’t know the gauge or model. It got off somewhere out of the family when my grandfather passed. (Substitute here a model 12 16 ga.. My hunting mentor and all around firearms influencer believed every young hunter should own one with a full choke. His son in law is deadly on sporting targets and game with the one he owns. My son shoots the one I was given very well also)
Marlin 39a. This made it through from my grandfather. What a job it does in the squirrel woods…. Or keepin the bird feeder clear for the birds. The original Lyman peep he had put on still works. But I’m sure glad it’s new enough to have been factory drilled for a dovetail rail for a scope. Squirrel meat is too good to risk missing.
Winchester Model 70 featherweight in .30-06, Winchester Model 12 in 12 gauge (modified choke) and a Marlin 39 would be my choices…….although any of the ones already mentioned would work just fine!

PennDog
My choices would be Sporterized Springfield 1922 M2, Winchester M/88 .308 and Winchester M/50 vent rib modified choke.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
My choices would be Sporterized Springfield 1922 M2, Winchester M/88 .308 and Winchester M/50 vent rib modified choke.

I agonized over putting my M2 Springfield down as the .22 in my triumverate, versus my BRNO #2, as I dearly love that rifle. But I forced myself to think in practical terms and the BRNO got the nod by reason of its lighter weight and scope along with its being equally accurate. If I started making exceptions I would also start rationalizing the addition of more guns to fill niches (both real and imaginary) and the Three Gun Battery concept would explode into a far reaching collection. Oh sh*t, too late - it done happened!
I also owned a BRNO #1 at one time, it had the fanciest wood of any BRNO I'd ever seen. I don't believe I ever shot that rifle, I let a co-worker talk me out of it several years ago. I've also owned two Anschutz Stutzen mannlicher stocked rifles with DST, one with M/54 action and my current one with M/64 action. My Springfield 1922 which is nearly 100 yrs. old will outshoot everything, even my Winchester M/52 Sporter !
Winchester 72 (tube feed version of the 75) .22
Winchester 70 Fwt '06
Winchester 50, 12 ga
I am not a Winchester nut! Honest. But I thought long and hard about this 3 gun choice and went with reliabilty as job 1, durability, and accuracy somewhat lower on the scale. I have some nice rifles of Euro heritage, a couple beautiful old SxS's but the nod just has to go the most dependable, and almost 60 years without a hiccup for these 3.
If I had to go to 3 that I own it would be Browning A5 magnum 12, 30-06 Vanguard, and 452 American 22 LR. What would be the fun in that though.
Since the OP specified an "old school" 3-gun battery I'd go pre-64 Winchesters in a:

- Model 52 Sporter (scoped 22 rimfire); a Model 70 carbine (pre-war 270 Win with G&H scope mount); and a Model 12 pump (12ga M choke).

These would cover all my bases in Montana, bunnies to bulls and turkey.
I already have a "3 gun battery."

Ruger 77/22 All Weather (boat paddle) with open sights.
Remington 870 12 ga 28" bbl., matte black finish with African Walnut stock.
Winchester 70 Stainless Fwt 308 Win (open sights to be added).

Throw in my Ruger Security Six 4" Stainless 357 and all bases are covered.

Probably not strictly "old school" but none are dialers and all are pre-1984 designs.
I'm not sure if my KS Mountain qualifies as old school. It's only 30 years old but if it helps I'll just shoot old school bullets from it. For a shotgun the pragmatic side of me says my 870 12 gauge. I shoot it well and it will handle anything. The romantic in me says my Cogswell and Harrison 12 would get the nod.

As for the third, I'll cheat and take a lefty Charles Daly 222 with a chamber insert for 22 LR.
I started out with a 30-06 Remington Model 721, a 12 Gauge Remington Model 31, and a .22 lr Remington Model 24. My brother is still hunting with the first two.

My current 3 gun battery would be my Edge stocked pre 64 30-06, Ruger 20ga. Red label and Remington 541T
When I was a kid I was given a 1947 Brno Mod 1 .22, a beautifully finished rifle which would routinely group 5 rounds into 1/2" or less at 50 yards. I've shot truckloads of rabbits and such, and won various competitions, with that little rifle. It would be on the list.

I also had the use of a 20 ga Fabrique Nationale sidelock SxS. It has long gone, but I'd have it again.

I also had the use of a Marlin 1893 in .30-30, Sporting Rifle (26" half-octagonal barrel, 1/2 magazine, shotgun buttplate, pg stock) with a peep sight. It is mine now, and I still have it.

I have a lot more now, and each has its role, but I guess I could scrape by with those, 40-odd years later.
3 guns? Very painful! Since I shoot clays every week, I’d have to include my Browning 725 Field, which could do for any shotgun work. Typically, a .22 would be the second thing needed, but I have a .22 Hornet Browning Low Wall that I just can’t let go, so if the third one is a “deer” rifle, the Hornet will have to fill in for the .22. My two best deer guns now are my 6CM Fieldcraft and a 6.5 Gendel Howa Mini. Either will work, but the Grendel is a very practical do-all cartridge for this area, with a long barrel-life expectancy, so I’d probably “take my profit” on the FC and keep the Howa.

Not sure how I could bear the loss of my 98s, mostly FN commercials. Might have to re-think my deer rifle pick…..
When I started high school in 1971, my 3-gun battery was a No.4 Mk1 Lee Enfield .303 British my maternal grandfather had sporterized, with which I killed my first several deer (using my hand loads), an Ithaca Model 37 Featherlite 20 ga., and a Stevens Crackshot 26 .22 rimfire single-shot passed down from my paternal grandfather. I still have all three.

After college, it was a first gen Browning BLR .308, with a Bushnell Banner 1.75-4.5x20, with which I've killed 156 bucks and around 60 does, a Browning A5 12 ga. with 5 different barrels, and a Browning BL-22 with the Redfield 4x, 3/4" tube rimfire scope. Still have all three.

Now if I had to pick three, it would be a Winchester Classic Stainless Featherweight .308 with Leupold 1.75-6x32, a Mossberg 500 12 ga with choke tubes, and the same Browning BL-22 with Redfield 4x.
My father owned a Model12 12ga, LE Jungle Carbine 303 and a 22 semi auto of some sort. He used the 22 the most for potting grouse.

I'd have to have four ...... 7x57 (or 30-06) for BG, 20ga SxS for grouse, 10/22 for plinking and 222 or 223 sporter for whatever.
Winchester Model 9422 my folks gifted me when I graduated from HS in 1973.
Winchester Super-X Model 1, first new shotgun I bought for myself when I was in the army in 1976.
Ruger M77 270 WIN my wife bought me during the first year we were married, 1978.

All three have been, and still are, dependable firearms.
Find the whole 3 gun battery idea just as revolting as " if you could have only have 1 azzholes" .most mechanics have more than a crescent wrench too..mb
Posted By: CRS Re: Go-to Old School 3 gun battery - 11/05/23
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Find the whole 3 gun battery idea just as revolting as " if you could have only have 1 azzholes" .most mechanics have more than a crescent wrench too..mb

While these types of threads are always good for pondering, I am of this mindset also.

When I first started hunting, a Ruger 10/22, Winchester 1300 12 ga, and a Remington 700 BDL in 270 was all I had. I could certainly get by with that list, but why?
CRS somehow I can't see you giving up your 338-06 for the 270 or vice versa or your antelope rifle either. Some allways try to justify arms minimalism for whatever stupid reasons. mb
Posted By: CRS Re: Go-to Old School 3 gun battery - 11/05/23
CRS somehow I can't see you giving up your 338-06 for the 270 or vice versa or your antelope rifle either. Some allways try to justify arms minimalism for whatever stupid reasons. mb

grin

I can certainly understand the thought process for some, if money is tight, limited space, or one feels overwhelmed with their toys.
On the West slope of the Canadian Rockies,
. My Grandad's time B 1895
He was overgunned
30/30 Winchester model 94
.303 British- Lee Enfield Sporterized war1/surplus.
My Dad's time b 1930
.22 Cooey
Model 94 30/30 or 303. British
Husqvarna 30/06 or .270 Win
My time b 1958
.22 Brno or Cooey
25/06 model 700
A .270 wcf / 30 06 of some sort
3 guns, yes , painful .
Pre64 model 70 featherweight in 270 Win
Remington 870 Special Field 12 gauge
Browning a-bolt 22 .
As an exercise in modesty it could be done but there would be more than a few 250s and 7mms left out in the cold:

pre 64 Model 70 FW in 308

a prewar Ithaca Model 37 but in 16 gauge ( for upland more than home defence)

and an accurate BSA Supersport 5 in 22RF with a stock pile of decent rimfire ammo

Indeed, Bob. This is just an interesting/fun conversation starter.
Pre 64 Mod 70 FWT in 30-06

Winchester 9422 in 22 LR

Fox Sterlingworth SXS , 12 gauge
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Fox Sterlingworth SXS , 12 gauge

I have one of those in the early pin-gun version. I like that one a lot. There is a fellow here in Canada offering a Fox SW in 16ga with 26" IC/M bbls. Has been refinished but well done. A very tempting purchase.
Grandpa had a model 12 12 gauge, a 721 30-06, and a marlin 22. I own the model 12 and 721 now. I put a Bartlein 270 barrel on the 721.
All my guns were lost during Hurricane Idalia. Picked up an old beat up Remington 513S a few weeks ago. Got my eye on a Win Model 12 in 12 Ga and a Win 94 in .30-30. Dunno what else I'd need here in the Swamps.
My Dad who passed away in 1964 had a Remington Sportsman 20 ga, a Savage model 20 in 250-3000
and a Mossburg 22LR model 141(?). If I had to go with only(sob) 3guns Winchester 101 20ga and
Ruger model 77 30-06, Ruger model 77R in 22LR.
Posted By: EdM Re: Go-to Old School 3 gun battery - 11/06/23
Of what I own,

M70 375 H&H
Ugartechea 12 gauge SxS
Sako P72 22 RF

#4 would be one of my 44 Magnum handguns.
OK! Here is my pick!

#1 Single shot .22 RF-----( most Important)-----This is where some learns to shoot, not just spray lead in hopes of hitting something (Very Necessary in the Hunting field!

#2 12 ga. Pump shotgun----rugged, reliable even when the temps really drop.(ammo will fire)!

Noone cares what color panties you prefer---leave the sweet little double at home and tote a real gun.

#3 .30-06/.308 Will work anywhere in the good Old US of A
Few go to Africa, so stop dreamin!

Be Practical and realistic!

Hip
I can easily answer this because I only have 3 guns. All the rest are on the bottom of a deep lake after a tragic boating accident many years ago.

Ruger 77/22 22lr
Winchester 1200 20ga
Winchester Model 70 EW in 358 Win
I have my Mauser in 35 Whelen, but for this exercise I would screw the 30/06 barrel onto it. I have a model 69A Winchester I've had for 64 years, and I have a recently purchased Ithaca 37, 12 gauge. I could do OK with this selection. Actually, I have a 30/06 barrel on the Mauser right now; I might leave it on for a while. GD
Grey,

You kinda think like me-----I have a Mauser in .358, owned a Ithica M37 in the past (lost track of it) and a Win. M69A(my squirrel rifle that have only owned for 58 yrs.

Hip
Lots of you fellas are not as old school as I'd of thought. Since my first ever three guns were Winchesters, I'm going to stay with three that I could be perfectly happy with for the way I hunt today.
1. Would be a pre-grooved receiver Winchester M61 .22 S,L,LR.
2. Is a Winchester M12 20 gauge.
3. Could be a Winchester Pre-64 '50's era M70 7x57 Carbine.
I've only got those first two and as you can imagine if I had that #3, I would drool all over it.
Dad had 3 long guns, some revolvers and some recurves. No shotgun.

His three rifles were:

- Marlin 39 (estimate 1922-1926, octogon bbl, color case), w/slim fixed scope 4x ???
- Pre-64 Winchester 94 30-30, iron sights only
- Remington 722 .257 Rob, peep sight (no scope). If Remington's history is correct, it would have been a 1948 rifle.

I'd have to give some thought what I'd go with for centerfire but from what I have:

- Dad's Marlin 39 (currently irons only)
- Ithaca 37 12G Mod 30" (corncob, no vent rib)
- Tossup here ??? (scratching head, furrowed brow, beads of sweat forming on forehead, starting to tremble ...)

A note on the 39. The early ones have a slimmer profile and the octogon barrel weighs less than bull barrels that came later, yet still very accurate. Handles and carries like a dream. I wish Marlin made them again without any silly "commemorative" googaw like recessed buttons, badges or silly gaudy letters and extra writing. Just like they were pre-1939 save the improved/strengthened bolt.

[Linked Image]
Super cool old Marlin, Gringo.
.22mag
7mm-08 / .308
20 gauge
Posted By: EdM Re: Go-to Old School 3 gun battery - 11/07/23
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
OK! Here is my pick!

#1 Single shot .22 RF-----( most Important)-----This is where some learns to shoot, not just spray lead in hopes of hitting something (Very Necessary in the Hunting field!

#2 12 ga. Pump shotgun----rugged, reliable even when the temps really drop.(ammo will fire)!

Noone cares what color panties you prefer---leave the sweet little double at home and tote a real gun.

#3 .30-06/.308 Will work anywhere in the good Old US of A
Few go to Africa, so stop dreamin!

Be Practical and realistic!

Hip

I thought Richard Pryor was dead?
I did not own a gun until I got out of the Navy .My Uncle used to lend me a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem when I was a kid . He taught me how to shoot rifle ,shotgun and hand gun When I was about 12 years old . My dad was a WW II Vet and did not want to shoot anything again in his life. So the First three guns I bought for my self were a Post 64 mo 70 30-06 . A Ithaca lever action single shot 12 gauge and a Marlin 22 semi-auto .
My Old School 3 gun battery:
1. Remington 541T in 22LR with a Burris 3-9x32 Mini Scope
2. Beretta Mato in 30-06 Spr. with a 3-10x40 Burris Signature Select Scope
3. Caesar Guerini Summit Sporting in 12 gauge with 30" barrels
My old school three gun battery would consist of two guns that are replacements of the ones I originally had and one original. I realized the mistake I made in trading the originals and years later corrected it. None of these were fancy or high end firearms, but they were what I had and all will still do what I need to do.

1. Winchester Model 1200, 12 ga, 26" VR, with choke tubes. (original had a 28" Mod, plain barrel)
2. Browning BLR in 308. This Belgium made rifle is a replacement of an early Japanese BLR that I sold for some poor reason.
3. Mossberg Palomino, lever action 22LR. I've had this one for 54 years and my Chevy 1500 truck wouldn't haul the bricks of ammunition this rifle has fired. Looking back, I wish I had held off on my purchase and gotten the Ruger 10-22, but the Mossberg Palomino worked and would shoot any 22LR ammo with no problem. Still works....
My three:

Marlin Model 39A .22 LR. This is the funnest, most accurate .22 sporter that I own. The fact that it was a gift from a close friend endears it even the more. I have a Leupold M8 4x on top.

Remington Model 870 20 gauge. I love hunting uplands the very best and find the 20 is plenty for them and easier on the random cottontail rabbit than a 12 gauge.

Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless .30-06 Springfield. I bought this rifle at 18 years old. It was the first I ever saw with a stainless steel finish and a walnut stock. I have killed many elk and deer, along with many other critters. I could happily hunt big game with this rifle forever more. I have a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 on top.
My three would be.

Winchester pre- war model 70 in 300 H&H.
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth 12ga.
Winchester 52 "C"" Sporter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
All my guns were lost during Hurricane Idalia. Picked up an old beat up Remington 513S a few weeks ago. Got my eye on a Win Model 12 in 12 Ga and a Win 94 in .30-30. Dunno what else I'd need here in the Swamps.
Are you serious?! All BP, 30 sneezer… everything? How?
My 3-gun solution when I was a youngster was a low-budget 98 Mauser conversion to .270 Win, a Remington 1100 in 12ga that I couldn't hit anything with, and a Winchester 9422 that I could hit anything with.

Today it's a Tikka T3X stainless in 7mm-08, a Charles Daly (Miroku) over-under in 20ga that fits me so perfectly it's practically instinctive and an accurized Ruger 10/22 with a bull barrel that can shoot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards.
By preference : Winchester model 71 - Just because it's awesome
Winchester Model 63 - Same reason .
Watts 12 ga side by side or my Syracuse Lefever - The Watts is English , Light , built for 2.5" shells with a straight grip.
The Lefever is the model that has adjustments at all of the wear points and you cant wear one out. It's also a 12 gauge
with short chambers.

I also have so many family guns that if I could only actually have three to hunt with my dads BLR 81 steel .358 would have to be one of them. In that case I'd have to ditch the .22.
Fortunately I'll never only have three.
My 3 would be as follows: Ruger 77 tang safety 30-06, Browning Citori 16 ga, Savage Anshutz 54 sporter .22
I am there already, it is no longer theoretical for me.

No shotgun since I no longer bird hunt and no big game rifle since I no longer hunt big game. I made my rifle choices based on what I do most which is shoot ground squirrels, PD's, jack rabbits, and the revolver is for concealed carry.

Tikka T1x - 22 LR
Cooper 21 Classic in 223 Rem
S&W snubbie in 38 Spl

drover
Originally Posted by czech1022
My 3-gun solution when I was a youngster was a low-budget 98 Mauser conversion to .270 Win, a Remington 1100 in 12ga that I couldn't hit anything with, and a Winchester 9422 that I could hit anything with.

Today it's a Tikka T3X stainless in 7mm-08, a Charles Daly (Miroku) over-under in 20ga that fits me so perfectly it's practically instinctive and an accurized Ruger 10/22 with a bull barrel that can shoot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards.

That's about as good as it gets in a 3 gun battery.
Originally Posted by smallfry
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Are you serious?! All BP, 30 sneezer… everything? How?

His boat over turned when he was rowing out to save the six Nuns and the four puppies.
I'd hate to have only three, but if I had to, I'd choose from my favourites the following:
AyA #53 12 ga. 28" 2-3/4" IC/Mod with straight grip, double triggers, and all the stye and grace one could hope for. Wonderful in the uplands, OK on clays, and even though it's not ideal for waterfowl, I'd use bismuth shot for that.
Brno ZKK 600 .30-06 customized by gunsmith / artist Chris Griesbach. Mounted with Kahles 2-7x36 scope. About as versatile and reliable a rifle as one could hope for.
Anschutz 1415 .22 WMR with Zeiss 4x Covers all the small game and varmints I'd care to pursue.
my 3 gun 22 K-Hornet ss Ruger 77 , Winchester x2 semi - auto 12 gauge , Ruger #1 s.s. 257 Weatherby mag. custom. i use these 3 and the 22 K-Hornet kills the most critters every year.
1954 M70 300H&H
1963 A5 20ga. 26" imp.
Savage Anschutz Model 54 sporter 22LR

In reality, 3 would be pure torture.

Zombie pockolypse I'm grabbing an AR15, a 12 ga., and another AR15.
Remington 870 & 760 & 121
All pumps with safety in the same place.
Go-to Old School 3 gun battery

1958 Brno model 5 22 LR
1958 Brno ZKW465 22 Hornet
1956 Brno model 21 7x64 Brenneke

Covers my wants.
Marlin 336A in 30-30

50 caliber flintlock ( "modern" old school. Cabin Creek "Yorktown" rifle by Brad Emig)

1962 Bear Polar recurve, 41#, 66" AMO

...if you take issue with my recurve bow, then I would replace it with my JC Higgins commercial M98 in 30-06.

These three items will take care of all my hunting needs at this stage of my life-which is deer hunting in Maine.
Remington 700 Varmint. 6mm REM
Remington 1100 with modified barrel and a trap barrel
Remington 552 BDL 22 LR

These were all my Dad had until I was well out of high school, until the late 80’s I believe

KC
Ruger M77 RSI tang safety 308,Marlin 80-DL .22, Remington 1100 LW 20 ga. I just keep going back to those 3.
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Go-to Old School 3 gun battery

1958 Brno model 5 22 LR
1958 Brno ZKW465 22 Hornet
1956 Brno model 21 7x64 Brenneke

Covers my wants.

This is a good choice.
My 99 300 savage that was my grandfather's.
My 12 GA Ithaca 37 with rifled and smooth barrels that was.my fathers
My Winchester 69a that was also my grandfathers.
Remington 760 in .300 Savage with a weaver k6

Remington model.... 514 maybe? .22. it's an old bolt action. Open sights.

Jc Higgins 16ga bolt
1903 Springfield with Lyman 2.5 Winchester model 12 heavy duck browning 22 auto
Only 3? That's a tough question, and could my 12 ga. 870 with 2 barrels count as one gun? One smoothbore & one fully rifled would be versatile. The other two could be the Marlin 30-30 for an all around, general purpose, centerfire rifle. Along with a .22LR chambered rimfire although right now I can't decide which one.
#1- a magnum centerfire rifle of at least .35 caliber…..light load cast for small game, eliminating the need for a 22 RF, and a fast jacketed or mono for everything else!

#2- a quality, 12 gauge pump with interchangeable barrels……one short for defense use, and a longer with interchangeable choke tubes

#3- a good strong, accurate revolver in 45 caliber…… except for the weight a S&W 460 XVR would be pretty nice. The cylinder is long enough to make shot shells that duplicate a 2 1/2” 410 shot shell (can accomplish some of what a 22 RF could do) and a couple of different cast bullets, from lightweight plinkers to stuff capable of anything on the planet. This combined, makes it a pretty versatile firearm! 🤔 memtb
For years mine were Rem 870 12ga Wingmaster, Ruger 10/22 , and Rem 700 in .270Win. I know this is all a person needs to hunt most game in North America, even though I will not travel far from home. Sometime along the way I thought I needed more, so I got more. But just because of want, not need....Joe
Remington 511x
Remington 870 LW 20
Remington 700 classic 6.5x55
Old school. Marlin 39 .22, Remington 12 gauge 870, and 98 Mauser chambered in 30-06 Springfield! I have been using these for years. The Marlin has been semi replaced with a 10-22. The ruger is lighter and shoots better. It's scoped where the Marlin is aperture and gold bead. No provisions for scoping the Marlin, without altering!
1990 vintage Rottweil 650 (made by Fratelli Gamba) 12 gauge O/U shotgun, 1984 vintage Ruger M77 .30-06, and a 1960s vintage Remington Nylon 66 .22RF. If you want to make it 4 guns, through in a 6” Ruger Security Six .357 Magnum.

Expat
Posted By: JDK Re: Go-to Old School 3 gun battery - 12/10/23
Remington M11 20 gauge
Sako Hi Power 270 Winchester
Marlin 336 35 Remington
Good lord, these posts fill my soul with dread. It reminds me of my youth-savage 99 in .250 savage wearing a K4, westernfield 20 ga bolt action with a cracked stock at the wrist, wrapped w electrical tape and a Win 62a with a bulged bbl. Don’t get me wrong I have fond memories of hunting in my youth, but being restricted to only three guns obviously led to me overcompensating at 61 years of age.
Edit- the 250 and 22 were my grandfathers. The 20gauge was my dads. He was not a hunter and would borrow his uncles Remington 721 in 270 whenever he had to go hunt. He never hunted birds or small game.

I’ll count my blessings
© 24hourcampfire