Home
Posted By: byd No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/08/23
Just like the title says best 7mm 08, in your opinion.
Posted By: JPro Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/08/23
In that price range, 700 Remington.
Posted By: Razorhog Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/08/23
Kimber Montana although I do really like a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle.
Posted By: handwerk Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/08/23
I would grab A model 70 Extreme Weather model
Posted By: szihn Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/08/23
Yup. This ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Posted By: beretzs Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/08/23
Originally Posted by handwerk

I'd do the Montana or EW myself. Found a Montana first so that's what I run.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ight-compact-7-08mm-reduced-price#UNREAD
Posted By: GSPfan Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/08/23
I have a Weatherby Ultra Light in 7MM-08, it's a great rifle IF you can find one. A Kimber Montana or Remington Mtn rifle are good choices as well
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by handwerk

I'd do the Montana or EW myself. Found a Montana first so that's what I run.

Even a winchester model 70 featherweight would be a good option.
Barrett.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Barrett.

50 cal
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Barrett.

50 cal
laugh
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/08/23
Is The Ruger American available in 7mm-08?
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Yes.
Posted By: Benbo Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/09/23
I’ve.been really lucky with 7-08’s. I’ve got a m7 ss that shoots everything I’ve tried very well and 120TTSX extremely well. A Kimber Montana shoots just as well. Bought my youngest son a M7 ss 7-08 also. Haven’t shot it yet but hopefully it shoots as well as the other two.
Benbo,

Have owned at least half-a-dozen 7mm-08s, and every one has grouped very well.
Can't go wrong with a Savage 110 or a Ruger...
Gotta know why "no Tikka".

Money, weight(want less, or more), not American, just being ornery and wanting different......

Come on man, no sense in saying Montana if it's money or too light.
Or Howa if it's weight or country of manufacture.
Or Savage/Mossberg/Ruger is it's quality.

Help us out here.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/09/23
Winchester EW. But only with a McMillan Edge stock to replace factory.

Not what you want to hear, but an out of the box Tikka will out shoot any of the other options, weigh less, and cost about what a new stock will cost for the EW.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

The one I had was incredibly accurate. Well below MOA.
Posted By: killerv Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/09/23
As far as new stuff, I'd look at the bergara ridge rifle, I just picked one up in 708, got it under 800.

My main rifle is a ss/syn model 7 in 708, but I don't know how easy it would be to find one
Posted By: Teeder Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/09/23
Originally Posted by killerv
My main rifle is a ss/syn model 7 in 708, but I don't know how easy it would be to find one

There was one on gunbroker recently. May still be there.
Posted By: Reba Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/09/23
There is at least one T3x 7-08 on Guns International

Nope at least fourteen in 7-08
Posted By: Calvin Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/09/23
I can't find much wrong with the Christensen Mesa FFP line of rifles. They check a lot of boxes. Stick was working with a 7-08 in a thread.
Howa Alpine’s in 7mm-08 are pretty nifty little rifles.

Might not be the easy button for accuracy out of the box like most Tikkas are, but it’s a good “no Tikka” option for a lightweight, crappy weather rifle. 😎
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/09/23
No love for a Sauer 100 ?
Posted By: Mohawk Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/09/23
Dont overlook the Ruger M77 especially if you want a wood stock. I'm a Tikka guy myself but my buddy has a M77 in 7-08 and it is a tack driver and really nice rifle.
I had a Ruger American in 7mm-08, very
accurate and smooth, my daughter in law has it know. She didn’t like the recoil of the .308 my son shoots but she did like the 7mm-08.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/10/23
Just got one from brownells. Howa barreled action $409
This afternoon saw a new Ruger American 7mm-08 at Capital Sports in Helena, Montana for $438.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
This afternoon saw a new Ruger American 7mm-08 at Capital Sports in Helena, Montana for $438.

That is a great deal. One of my buddies just bought 2 RAR ranch rifles in the last week. They both shoot great. The 6.5 Grendel does not feed for schidt though. I think sometimes you get what you pay for. Has anyone asked the OP why no Tikka's??? I know some think they are hype, but damn they shoot good and operate as smooth as a custom. I know a lot of us always suggest Tikka, but that is for damn good reason.
Yep, many of us suggest Tikkas with damn good reason--especially with OTB rifles.

But have also had great luck with RARs, though they sometimes need a little tweaking of the forend and trigger. Generally can do both in about half an hour.

However, they sometimes don't feed certain rounds as well as Tikkas. It depends on the cartridge taper, for the most part--but have also had to modify the magazine-length on some Tikkas to get the best out of 'em.

The Tikkas with heavier barrel contours also tend to shoot VERY well, partly because they use the same barrels as Sakos. The thicker barrels are lapped to more consistent dimensions.
I would be looking at the CVA Cascade. Alot of rifle for 600.00 dollars
Kimber Montana.

Good luck finding one, though. They're not chambering the new ones in 7-08, and the used market is kinda tight.
Had 6.5 Grendel out of AR rifles and the case design isn't feed friendly. This makes me want to go buy an Tikka T3X.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/10/23
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Was it on their rack ?? Was it a new rifle ??

kwg
Posted By: TLB2 Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/10/23
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

link
Posted By: Alex38 Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/10/23
My 7mm-08 is a M70 EW, and I’m very happy with it. It shoots 140 Accubonds into small groups with around 47 grains of Big Game. There’s not much I’d change with the set up. I’d recommend the M70 to you as well.
Posted By: Plumdog Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/10/23
Weatherby Vangaurd Compact.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/10/23
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

They sell new ones on their site
Posted By: byd Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/10/23
If I didn't say no Tikka then most everyone on this thread would say Tikka.
Originally Posted by byd

+1, A close second in that price range is Bergara B14.
Get yourself a Tikka, you'll be glad you did.

I have one, it can stack the bullets on top of each other.
Posted By: 8MMX57JS Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/10/23
Originally Posted by Plumdog
Weatherby Vangaurd Compact.

+2 For Weatherby vanguard- specifically the wilderness edition. Fluted barrel, textured bell and carlson stock.
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Shhhhh. He doesn't want/like Tikka for some reason???? I think some guys like to make things more complicated for some reason. Or have a reason for why their rifles don't shoot well. Can't blame a Tikka for that happening..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Shhhhh. He doesn't want/like Tikka for some reason???? I think some guys like to make things more complicated for some reason. Or have a reason for why their rifles don't shoot well. Can't blame a Tikka for that happening..

Right!
Originally Posted by byd

Go ruger american:
Faster rifling twist than the tikka.

A short action cartridge in a short action rifle

Superior bedding system (twin steel v blocks)

Over $300 less

Better name

Better customer service

Safer design for youth hunters, you can cycle the rifle while on safe

Shorter, lighter weight

Cheaper price in the used market.

Comes with a standard 4 round mag unlike the 3 round mag on the tikka.

Most popular bolt action sold, outsells tikkas by a LARGE margin.

$300 in savings, thats a trip to the gunsmith for open sights and a call to Doug at cameraland for a good budget scope.

Example of what's possible with a used American, total cost of $670 rifle/scope/upgrades:

smith chopped to 20" installed open sights.
Anodized aluminum bolt shroud
Retrofitted boyds aluminum AI bottom metal.
Two used original STEEL AI mags off ebay.

LOVES any 200 grain bullet, not picky (308 win)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: byd Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/10/23

bsa1917hunter
I have a Tikka SS 7m 08 with a BurrisFF 2 3x9 40 with a Ballistic Reticle on it shoots Noz 150 partitions over 49 grains Hunter pretty darn good.
I just wanted to see other opinions on 7mm 08's
Originally Posted by byd

bsa1917hunter
I have a Tikka SS 7m 08 with a BurrisFF 2 3x9 40 with a Ballistic Reticle on it shoots Noz 150 partitions over 49 grains Hunter pretty darn good.

Sell it and get a ruger American.
Originally Posted by byd

bsa1917hunter

That's a perfect/simple combo right there. I use the same set up. I'm in the boat with the guys saying RAR then. My buddy recently bought 2 RAR's and they shoot damn good.
I just got back from a range trip shooting my Superlite 7mm-08.

Hated every minute of it.

P
Of what's available today, if you can tolerate the anesthetics, the Ruger American is good rifle.

Or a Bergara or a Barrett if you can afford it.

Of you want a project, a re-stocked 700 MR would be great.

If you want to do some searching, a 700 SS MR would be great.

I have a 700 Ti & it's just a great rifle after getting it bedded right, but they are about as scarce a hens teeth & $1800+ if you were to find one.

MM
Posted By: tdoyka Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/11/23
i have 3 early 1990s Remington m7 in 7-08. my dad (RIP) never liked the factory wooden stock (too short), so he did a black walnut blank that was measured to fit him. the other two are mine and my youngest son's rifle. wood stocks and 18.5" featherweight barrel with open sights and Swift's scopes.

they are sub inch at 100 yards, 139gr Hornady FN (discontinued but i have 150 - 200 bullets) and 139gr Hornady SST. if you want short and lightweight rifle, i would buy a used Rem m7 in 7-08.
"if you want short and lightweight rifle, i would buy a used Rem m7 in 7-08."

^^^ That!

Also, as was previously mentioned the Howa Alpine model in 7mm-08 with the Basner stock and the slabbed action works in that same price range. Mine shoots MOA as per factory guaranty.

The Kimber 84M is another but more expensive option. Again an accurate rifle and an MOA guaranty.

Me? I couldn't decide which - so I'm playing around with all three options (Rifle Looney).
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: No Tikka next best 7mm 08 - 11/11/23
Originally Posted by kenjs1
No love for a Sauer 100 ?

Pick up one a couple of years ago........nice rifle.
Originally Posted by Calvin
I can't find much wrong with the Christensen Mesa FFP line of rifles. They check a lot of boxes. Stick was working with a 7-08 in a thread.

The Mesa is a crap shoot. I've played with 3 of them, none would shoot anything better than 1.5 MOA. For every good story, i hear 5 bad ones. Too much money for a gun like that.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by Calvin

The Mesa is a crap shoot. I've played with 3 of them, none would shoot anything better than 1.5 MOA. For every good story, i hear 5 bad ones. Too much money for a gun like that.

Way too much money for a crap shoot rifle. Things like this is why the majority of us suggest Tikka. I've seen more poor shooting CA rifles than good ones. I'd trust a cheap RAR over a CA, to get things right in the accuracy dept.
Originally Posted by byd

bsa1917hunter
My brother had a Tikka .25-06 that didn't shoot worth a damn. After much load testing with different bullet weights/manufactures and swapping scopes for a known good one, the best it would do was 2.5 - 3" at 100 yards. By then he was just totally disgusted and traded it off. My hunting partner has a Tikka .270 and I have one in .243 and they both shoot .5 MOA so he knows they can shoot but he'll never buy another after his experience with that .25-06.
I have a near-new Bergara B14 Ridge in 6.5 Creed for sale in the classifieds, if you are leaning that way. The 6.5 will kick a little less than the 7-08 (I have both) and will hold on to its velocity better at longer ranges, although there is really little or no practical difference between the two.
© 24hourcampfire