Home
After pulling bullets, is it necessary to resize the case or does it not really matter?
I resize the neck. Once bullet is pulled there’s a good chance you won’t have enough neck tension for the next loading.
Yep, neck-size only and you'll be fine.

Blessings,

Steve
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Blessings,

Steve

Yep!

Good to see you post my friend!
Some dies size the neck down a smidge too tight (technically), if this is the case, you are probably OK to just load again. Helps if you use a LEE Factory Crimp Die too. Since I normally "partial resize", I have my depriming rod/expander ball assembly all set. I would have to raise the rod up into the die to keep from depriming. Primers are scarce, depriming pin can damage, etc.

The way you can tell your sizing a bit too tight is can you "see/feel" the slight bulge your bullet makes in the neck, like a squirrel in a Rat Snake? smile
Originally Posted by ingwe

Blessings,

Steve

Yep!

Good to see you post my friend!
+1!
Originally Posted by John55
I resize the neck. Once bullet is pulled there’s a good chance you won’t have enough neck tension for the next loading.

Same here.
I will add that sometimes I have rounds that I want to pull/salvage the powder. I will use the primed cases to load for "sighters/foulers or that "beginning" load, the one you are just checking for pressure, etc, not so much accuracy.
Yes sir, as other said neck size for good grip.
Yep, generally--though often just size half the neck, depending on how deep the bullet's base is inside the neck.
I pulled some bullets the other day
I dumped the powder and put different powder in and reseated the same bullets. They shot about ½ moa,about all i could expect. With that said, my answer would be " maybe"
Rare event for me, but I don't resize.
Originally Posted by grayfox
After pulling bullets, is it necessary to resize the case or does it not really matter?
Not sure if it's necessary, but I do anyways with Lee collets.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Do you remove the decapping pin, or reprime?

Same here, I have extra mandrels for all calibers that I have removed the decapping pin (if you can call it that on an LCD). That way the primers aren't removed.
I just neck size and then run the expander through minus the decapping pin.

Blessings, Steve

Steve!!!!! Good to see you here, my friend. cool
I resize the neck with a Lee collet neck die.
I just broke down 50 rounds of Hornady Factory 22 ARC. They were a little too hot in my estimation, and I dumped the powder, and reloaded the cases.
I added a new charge of CFE223, and seated a couple 75 ELD-M bullets to check tension.
The bullets could be easily turned and pulled out by hand. Way too loose.
I pulled the Decapping Rod on my Hornady Full Length Die set, and ran all 50 rounds, dry through the sizer die. The new cases did not stick at all, with no lube.
I then chamfered the neck, and added powder a second time.
I then seated the 75 grain ELD-M bullets, and they were as tight as factory ammo.

Bob R
No.

Dad got belts of 7.62 from a friend in the Reserves, another friend pulled the bullets and used 150 he Hornadys. That was in the 70s and 80s, he still has a bunch.

Later he had issues with the 150gr Coreloks in 7mag.
Being a border, he had bought hundreds of rounds before he knew they didn’t suit him. By then I was loading, I pulled them and replaced with Partitions.

Someone will have a fit,
we did it, it worked. Never had a loose bullet.
Several occasions, hundreds of rounds.

Someone else, different brass?
Might not work.

Question for those who do,
have you ever not?
Or do you do it because you feel you should?
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
No.

Dad got belts of 7.62 from a friend in the Reserves, another friend pulled the bullets and used 150 he Hornadys. That was in the 70s and 80s, he still has a bunch.

Being a border, he had bought hundreds of rounds before he knew they didn’t suit him. By then I was loading, I pulled them and replaced with Partitions.

Someone will have a fit,

Might not work.

have you ever not?

It really depends on how it feels when you seat the bullet. If there is still neck tension, I don't bother resizing. If the first few I try are loose, I'll run the rest of them into the sizer without lube, just to bump the neck a little bit. Probably only .060" or so, so I don't have to remove the decapping pin. Did that the other day, in fact...
I have not pulled bullets very often but i have never resized before loading the case again and i have never had any trouble...they shot fine....Hb
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
No.

Someone will have a fit,

Might not work.

have you ever not?

It really depends on how it feels when you seat the bullet. If there is still neck tension, I don't bother resizing. If the first few I try are loose, I'll run the rest of them into the sizer without lube, just to bump the neck a little bit. Probably only .060" or so, so I don't have to remove the decapping pin. Did that the other day, in fact...
+1
No
Lee Collet die is quick and easy.
For those that are like myself...I would never think of not partially resizing the case necks.
^^^^^^^^^
This
I resize the necks as well.
© 24hourcampfire