Home
Posted By: Kodiakisland modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
I haven't bought or even shopped for rifles in quite a few years. Kinda disappointed in what I'm seeing online for really nice rifles. I want nice walnut, cut checkered blued steel for an MD residency graduation gift.

What I was looking for was a Cooper, Kimber (select/super America), Nosler, etc. It appears Cooper has been sold and I don't see any wood stocks listed on Kimber and Nosler websites. I guess there's Weatherby, but really want nicer than Winchester, Remington, Ruger type rifles. What am I missing? I know there's got to be choices out there, I'm just not seeing them

Caliber will probably be 7mm to 30 cal. Not specifically tied to an exact cartridge other than needing to be mainstream and not for the gun nuts like me.

Budget is $1500-2500.
I can suggest a couple of options. First, choose whatever rifle you want within your budget and get a drop in Boyd's stock for it. The top grade walnut Boyd's stock should be around $500 or less, depending on which rifle you pick.

I also recommend checking out CZ, Sako or Tikka. They make excellent rifles.

Check out the older rifles on GunBroker. I see beautiful old rifles selling every day. These were some of the rifles I admired and had to simply watch due to not finding enough change under my couch cushions:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1048196627
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1047155732
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1046417858

I'm also really fond of Sako. There are a fair number of safe queens that come up for sale pretty regularly. For example:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1040774093

Of course, finding these old rifles in commonly available cartridges like .270 or .30-06 is really easy.

Edit - to give you an idea of real value, not just asking price, I only listed items that have already sold. But there are especially some lovely old Sako’s on GunBroker that I would happily buy if funds were more abundant. In particular, there’s a very nice .270 with the desirable Bofors Steel marking.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
Current Winchester Model 70s are very nicely made, not cheap in either sense of the word.

If you search a bit, you can probably find a Kimber Classic Select Grade somewhere, still listed:

https://www.kimberamerica.com/classic-select-grade

Sakos are out there, but definitely not cheap. Tikkas come in Walnut, both blued and SS and are a solid choice shooting-wise, and the polymer parts can be replaced if he wants to.

Howa has the Super Deluxe Walnut, blued or SS, but I’ve not seen one in person to comment on fit and finish, but the actions are quite good, made from forged steel, with one-piece bolts, a rarity these days.

If he’s a hunter, one of the new Wilson Combat NULAs would be appreciated, though not walnut-stocked.

There are lots of nice rifles available if you look a bit. You stated wood/blued, but young folks have different ideas about stuff, so consider that.
Posted By: odonata Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
Based on the OP's criteria I would probably take a look at the following to see if there was anything suitable:

Sako 90 Hunter & Bavarian

Benelli LUPO. Eurooptic has them in stock with a special price of $1799 in 30-06 walnut (Click Here!)

Montana Junction

The Steyr CL II will slightly break that budget.
Posted By: devnull Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
Sako would be my first visit.
Posted By: beretzs Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
The Winchester Super Grades with French Walnut aren’t too bad and come in a decent variety of cartridges.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: CRS Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
I am with Beretzs. Model 70 would be my first choice.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
Vintage Sako in 95% condition or, have you thought about a really nice Pre 64 model 70?

Either of those make my propeller spin, but I'm not
an MD
Posted By: duke61 Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
I stopped looking at new rifle offerings, instead I look for older Rem 700's or Win 70's in the caliber I want and in great condition. I picked up some very nice ones in $1000's range. Older Sako's are great and classic as well.
Posted By: 1minute Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
If one's pockets are of moderate depth.

Look Here

Likely something there that will float one's boat.

If pockets are a bit deeper, prowl around their site and check out their European stuff.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
AAA French Kimber Select's from 2015 with wraparound forend checkering are nice. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: rifletom Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
Mauser Model 18 "Pure".
Posted By: hanco Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
Sako L-61’s, sold these off to guys on here except for a 264 and a 7 mag. The 50th anniversary was unfired, sold to a friend.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: geedubya Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
Each of the following were purchased pre enjoyed. Each was within the range of prices that you indicated would work for you.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Steyr Mannlicher

Mannlicher Classic, 8mm Mauser

Classic Mannlicher carbine, 7mm -08

Steyr Ultra-light, 223 Rem

Remington 700, Custom Shop, 300 Win Mag.

Sauer 200's

30-06 Springfield

Europa Luxe, 25-06

Sako Bavarian, half stock, 6.5 x 55 SE

Browning B-78 High Grade, 300 H&H

Sako AV Deluxe, 280 Rem.

Remington M7 Custom Shop, 308 Win

Parker Hale, Rigby Stalker (copy), 275 Rigby

Browning High Wall, 45-70

Browning Custom Trophy, 270 Win.

ya!

GWB
Originally Posted by hanco
Sako L-61’s, sold these off to guys on here except for a 264 and a 7 mag. The 50th anniversary was unfired, sold to a friend.

Beautiful collection. Every Sako I have every fired has shot so well.
Posted By: 1minute Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
Lots of character with wood. One can look at a rack and easily pick out his rifle.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
Put me in the camp of looking for a very nice, lightly used custom rifle in lieu of a new one. Much better return on investment. And chance to have something truly unique. IIRC, Hallowell had several nice "pre-enjoyed" custom bolt rifles in standard chamberings in the $2K to $5K range last time I looked.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
there's a Model 70 Featherweight "Limited Edition" 270 Win in the classifieds... listed as unfired? at $925... say's he won't ship?... Run!, and bend his arm!...
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
I’ve seen some Kimber Selects that were a bit plain, but also some near-stunners. Not to everyone’s taste I know, but I find the SS/walnut rifles very attractive, Kimbers and others as well. I even put some together myself with take-off stocks or ones purchased from the makers directly.
Posted By: hanco Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
I like the Oregon made BGR’s

Posted By: Cascade Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
Picked up a nice nearly-new Winchester Model 70 last year. It shoots great!

And as others have said, there are a lot of other great used rifles available with wood stocks, some plain, some real nice.

If you want new - be sure to check out the Winchester Model 70's!

Guy
Posted By: Cheesy Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
If buying new today I'd not hesitate on a French Walnut Super Grade, a regular Super Grade, or even just a base Featherweight.

As everybody else has said, there are tons of nice used rifles out there. Gunbroker and Guns International have new listings everyday. I bought one used Kimber off the classifieds here and a pair of Classic Selects off of gunbroker. Zero issues, all 3 shoot well.

I bought a 2021 Shot Show Special 1885 in 6.5 x 55 in 2021. That right there would a great graduation gift, even if it isn't a bolt action.
Posted By: EdM Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
Originally Posted by 1minute
If one's pockets are of moderate depth.

Look Here

Likely something there that will float one's boat.

If pockets are a bit deeper, prowl around their site and check out their European stuff.

Not a whole lot in stock it appears.
Posted By: beretzs Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/10/24
Originally Posted by Cascade
Picked up a nice nearly-new Winchester Model 70 last year. It shoots great!

And as others have said, there are a lot of other great used rifles available with wood stocks, some plain, some real nice.

If you want new - be sure to check out the Winchester Model 70's!

Guy

I was hoping you'd show that 7 Rem Guy.. That is an enviable shooting iron buddy!
Thanks for the recommendations. Not sure why I didn't think Sako up front, Not like I don't have a nice one in the gun safe already.

I was hoping to just pick up another Kimber like this one:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SteveO Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/11/24
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Thanks for the recommendations. Not sure why I didn't think Sako up front, Not like I don't have a nice one in the gun safe already.

[Linked Image]

375 H&H ???
Originally Posted by SteveO

[Linked Image]

375 H&H ???

280AI
The market is awash in great used classic rifles in that price range - including some tremendous values. Are you dead set on new production?
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
The market is awash in great used classic rifles in that price range - including some tremendous values. Are you dead set on new production?

As it's a gift I would rather it be new. I don't mind buying a used rifle for myself.
Posted By: Esteban325 Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/11/24
Don't sweat a gift ever being "fine enough" for the recipient. Personally, I have grown to like the Savage 14's if they can be had to your expectation or cleaned up, otherwise any of the m70 supergrades in good condition. Been eyein' the nice maple m70's but alas I don't need one.
Posted By: beretzs Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/11/24

The dark tinted maple stocked 70’s are kinda neat as well.
Posted By: hanco Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/11/24
Originally Posted by beretzs

It is very nice
Posted By: horse1 Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/11/24
Pretty doggone close to new and exceptionally beautiful to my eye:

Kimber of Oregon 270Win

New In Box 30-06 Maple M70:

Maple M70
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/11/24
Kodiak Island,

I have picked up quite a few "classic" hunting rifles in your price range, both factory and custom, from the Classifieds section of the Campfire.

You might also contact Capital Sports in Helena, Montana. They usually have several such rifles on hand, at good prices. I've purchased many over the years--again, both factory and custom. They show some (not all) on their website, www.shopcapitalsports.com.

That’s a beauty!
Posted By: MT_DD_FAN Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/11/24
I haven't bought or even shopped for rifles in quite a few years. Kinda disappointed in what I'm seeing online for really nice rifles. I want nice walnut, cut checkered blued steel for an MD residency graduation gift.

What I was looking for was a Cooper, Kimber (select/super America), Nosler, etc. It appears Cooper has been sold and I don't see any wood stocks listed on Kimber and Nosler websites. I guess there's Weatherby, but really want nicer than Winchester, Remington, Ruger type rifles. What am I missing? I know there's got to be choices out there, I'm just not seeing them

Caliber will probably be 7mm to 30 cal. Not specifically tied to an exact cartridge other than needing to be mainstream and not for the gun nuts like me. Budget is $1500-2500.
Here are links to two gun shops that tend to carry 'classic rifles' both vintage and modern that you might want to check out:
Shedhorn Sports in Ennis, MT
First Stop Guns in Rapid City, SD

Good luck with your search.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

As it's a gift I would rather it be new. I don't mind buying a used rifle for myself.

Ok. Are you willing to buy online? And nib old stock or just new production? With a couple parameters, I can fill your inbox. 🤣
Posted By: 8MMX57JS Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/11/24
Abit modern but with classic lines would be the German made Sauer 101 or Mauser M12. Find one with irons and walnut and you'll have a nice rifle to gift.
Posted By: bushrat Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/11/24

Beauty, have one of those in 30-06 with real nice wood. Almost bought one in 6.5 Creedmoor also but the dark maple was quite plain so opted for the shot show stainless/walnut instead.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/11/24
Originally Posted by bushrat

Beauty, have one of those in 30-06 with even nicer wood. Almost bought one in 6.5 Creedmoor also but the dark maple was quite plain so opted for the shot show stainless/walnut instead.
Creed?

May not want to admit that here.

Ha!

DF
Did the OP specify a bolt action?

Many of the early Ruger #1s were absolutely stunning. That would be another alternative to new.

I like this one, unfired, NIB. There are many out there
.https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1047860372

[Linked Image from assets.gunbroker.com]
Posted By: horse1 Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/12/24
Browning white gold medallion in 270Win:

X-Bolt
Posted By: shinbone Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/12/24
Winchester M70 Super Grade!
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be going to MT twice this summer and will be looking at many gun stores along the way.
Posted By: Deere_Man Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/12/24
New M70 Super Grades & Featherweights in Limited Edition formats and regular versions are always available on gun auction sites. And the Browning X-Bolt Medallion is a very nice looking rifle as well.

Item# 1049344212 on Gunbroker is about as nice of a M70 257 Roberts that I can remember seeing.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/12/24
Those new Sako Bavarians are nice.
Posted By: Elvis Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/12/24
Originally Posted by rifletom
Mauser Model 18 "Pure".

Is the Mauser M12 available in the States? The walnut model is very nice also.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/12/24
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Did the OP specify a bolt action?

Many of the early Ruger #1s were absolutely stunning. That would be another alternative to new.

I like this one, unfired, NIB. There are many out there
.https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1047860372

[Linked Image from assets.gunbroker.com]

He didn’t exactly, but it sounds like that’s what he’s looking at.

Besides the Ruger, there are some stunning Browning 1885s out there, NIB as well, plus current Winchester-labeled ones, but usually the Brownings have nicer wood, and from pics, better fit and finish.

I assume he knows the recipient well enough to know his tastes and needs. I expect the gift will be much appreciated regardless. Nice gesture.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/12/24
A friend just bought a new M70 Super Grade with fabulous wood. I picked up a new classic featherweight with decent wood for $900. In addition to the M70 a Kimber Super America with really nice wood was purchased for $2300.
Look at Kimber Super America's or their BG (Big Game) rifles on Guns International.
Posted By: EdM Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/12/24
Originally Posted by Elvis
Originally Posted by rifletom
Mauser Model 18 "Pure".

Is the Mauser M12 available in the States? The walnut model is very nice also.

Yep. I bought four M12 308's a while ago for myself and three sons (Christmas...). Somewhat like the M12 Extreme with a sightless 19.5" fluted barrel. I found them on clearance for $500, a bargain as they are extremely well made and accurate. Others here did the same.

https://www.eurooptic.com/mauser-rifles-m12.aspx
Posted By: T_Inman Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/12/24

[Linked Image]

What an incredible picture.

What sub-species?

As far modern 'classic' rifles.....I have no clue.
Nothing currently manufactured really jumps out at me. Maybe some modern updates/rebuilds to old actions like pre-64s? There are some awesome wood stock makers currently out there. That may take more time to build than you have before the graduation though.
Posted By: Gojoe Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/13/24
When the Sako Bavarian came out. I had already bought a CZ550 or two. But if I were shopping today, Sako would get my money.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/13/24
Win model 70 super grade shouts “classic “, and in 270 Win to boot.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/19/24
https://www.gunsamerica.com/classifieds/view/_917894508.aspx

find one with good/better wood.

deer/elk no problem.

lifetime rifle
Originally Posted by Sycamore
https://www.gunsamerica.com/classifieds/view/_917894508.aspx

find one with good/better wood.

deer/elk no problem.

lifetime rifle

Had a featherweight in 7-08 with well above average wood. Was on its best day a 3 shot, 1.5MOA rifle. Most days it was well over 2. Only rifle I’ve ever sold because it just wouldn’t shoot. Sold it to a doctor I worked with. He didn’t care about the accuracy as he wanted it for the gun case.
Posted By: Elvis Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/19/24
Originally Posted by Deere_Man
Item# 1049344212 on Gunbroker is about as nice of a M70 257 Roberts that I can remember seeing.

That's a beauty. Amazing what some people squirrel away.
Posted By: RAS Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/20/24
New old stock. Grade 3.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1039559710
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/20/24
Originally Posted by Elvis
Originally Posted by Deere_Man

That's a beauty. Amazing what some people squirrel away.

Very pretty wood on that, but the checkering could be better executed, maybe pay someone to clean it up a bit.
This is my M70 Featherweight in 257 Roberts. I think it’s nice and in a cool cartridge to boot.

Posted By: Elvis Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/22/24
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
This is my M70 Featherweight in 257 Roberts. I think it’s nice and in a cool cartridge to boot.

The .257 Roberts is one of my favourites too. I have two at the moment and a .257 AI.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/22/24
The Winchester Super Grades with French Walnut aren’t too bad and come in a decent variety of cartridges.

There was one of those for sale here about 5 yrs ago in 7x57. If not for another 7x57 in the works for me, I'd bought that one instead and saved a lot of money.
Posted By: jc189 Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/22/24
Cant go wrong with a Sako

https://www.sako.global/rifle/sako-90-hunter

https://www.sako.global/rifle/sako-90-bavarian
Posted By: shrapnel Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/22/24
This is an extremely rare and classic rifle. A Sako mannlicher in 223. For some reason, Sako never made many L461 rifles in 223 and fewer in a full stock version…

Posted By: GRIZZ Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/22/24
Sako Safari. 300 Win Mag.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
This is an extremely rare and classic rifle. A Sako mannlicher in 223. For some reason, Sako never made many L461 rifles in 223 and fewer in a full stock version…

I do love a Sako and that one is a beauty!
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Back then, the .222 Remington was riding high and very common in Sako's. The .223 wasn't seen as appreciably different to warrant a changeover, at least in my background.

I would think the US interest in AR's likely pushed the market towards the .223 which had a flow in effect. I did however, have experience using farmers rifles in .223 where also at that point in the early 70's, there was a lot of Martini Henry single shot rifles getting rebarreled and .223 was viable in those conversions.

Still have an old boar mount inside I took with a Martini so chambered.
Posted By: GoWyo Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/23/24
I’ve been on the prowl for a late model AI Sako carbine based off of the red pad hunter stock. I’ve only ever seen one. Shrap’s carbine is a beauty, but of an earlier vintage than Im seeking. I’ll agree with picking Sako to search for. I also had a Safari grade in .300 Win mag. I recently read that only 250 were imported. Mine wasn’t nearly as nice. I bought it used in 2002 for 800.00 it was wearing a 1.5x5 Leupold in Sako rings. Peak Sako! They are out there!

kokotukki[/url]https://imgur.com/a/LkDr6X5
Posted By: colorado Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/23/24
Classic Mauser variant rifle worked on a bit by Harlan at the CZ Custom Shop, Wayne at AHR, and Kevin Weaver at Weaver Rifles. Caliber is a little small though. Needs an ebony forend and grip cap, maybe an English oil finish too

Posted By: WMR Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/23/24
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Sako Safari. 300 Win Mag.

Stunning. Those have become quite rare. Congratulations.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/23/24
I have one in 375 H&H also. I needs to drage it out the safe fo photos.
Posted By: Brad Re: modern "classic" rifles - 05/23/24
Great photo, and beautiful bull! Where did you take him?

[Linked Image]

Aside, I'd look for a NIB Kimber - 270 or 308 Win. They're out there.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1049845923
© 24hourcampfire