Home
Posted By: colorado recommended stock maker - 05/10/24
Hi I have a very nice CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery. I had Wayne at AHR do his CZ#1 Upgrade about a decade ago (3 pos M70 type safety, single stage match trigger, straighten and fill bolt). I have seen so many beautiful safari rifles with ebony forends and grip caps and decided I want those added. Any recommendations? I live in Colorado but can ship the rifle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thanks,

Chuck
Posted By: WoodsyAl Re: recommended stock maker - 05/10/24
You should consider Jim Kobe in Bloomington, MN. He is a member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild and has done beautiful stock work for me and others who post here. He did a stock from a blank for a custom 257 Roberts for me. And he completely “remodeled” the stock of a Whitworth 375 H&H along with a lot of metal work, installing a side swing safety, banded front sight, etc. On the stock he installed a second cross bolt with ebony covers, installed a new recoil pad, replaced the plastic forend tip with ebony, and replaced the plastic covering the existing cross bolt with ebony. Then he did some reshaping, new checkering, and refinished it to perfection.

He posts here as Jkob.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: recommended stock maker - 05/11/24
+1 on Jim Kobe, top quality work, reasonable prices and quick turnaround.
Posted By: colorado Re: recommended stock maker - 05/11/24
Thanks! I'll contact him. It may be my elk rifle so I'll see what his schedule looks like.
Posted By: WoodsyAl Re: recommended stock maker - 05/11/24
Here's the Whitworth Jim did for me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: colorado Re: recommended stock maker - 05/11/24
Thanks I pm'd him.
Posted By: bluefish Re: recommended stock maker - 05/12/24
What is the matter with the stock you have? It could be slimmed down but it is quite nice. Matt Roberts of MNR Custom as well as Jim Kobe. Dennis Olson and Randy Weaver also come to mind. I would slim that stock down and maybe consider an ebony forend tip as well as a steel grip cap and perhaps jeweling the bolt and extractor along with a new bolt handle and Bob's your uncle.
Posted By: colorado Re: recommended stock maker - 05/12/24
The rifle is wonderful. I just want to dress it up a bit cause it's my favorite rifle. I'll be hunting elk with it this fall. I just want an Ebony forend and grip cap something like this.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: bluefish Re: recommended stock maker - 05/12/24
Dennis Olson slimmed one down for me once and it was a totally different rifle when he was done.
I don't need it slimmed down, but thanks. It fits me just fine, after all it's a 500 Jeffery not a puny 270 or 375 H&H It's not fat! It's just big boned lol.
Posted By: Huntz Re: recommended stock maker - 05/12/24
Jim Kobe recently did some stock mod work for me . 2 weeks turn around . Great work .
I spoke to him not interested maybe he just does entire stocks. I'm moving on to other options
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: recommended stock maker - 05/13/24
Originally Posted by colorado
Thanks! I'll contact him. It may be my elk rifle so I'll see what his schedule looks like.

Cool plans. What is the elevation/drop calculation like on that boomer?
Posted By: WoodsyAl Re: recommended stock maker - 05/13/24
Originally Posted by colorado
I spoke to him not interested maybe he just does entire stocks. I'm moving on to other options

I wonder if it’s possible to neatly add an ebony forend tip without doing more stock work? Good luck in getting what you want!
Colorado,

You may wish to contact R J Renner (775) 453-9355. He specializes in modifying stocks to classic lines. I don’t know whether he’d do just a forend and grip cap but it might be worth a call.

He reworked a Ruger RSM 450 Rigby for me by lowering the comb a bit for iron sights, slimming the fore and pistol grip (as I requested) and recheckered those areas, so it isn’t as square as OEM. The rifle still retained the appropriate weight for the level of recoil but handles much better because it fits the hands.
Posted By: colorado Re: recommended stock maker - 05/13/24
Thanks!
Posted By: colorado Re: recommended stock maker - 05/13/24
Thanks! The stock is the prettiest I've owned so I don't want to replace it, and after all it's a hunting rifle not a safe queen.
© 24hourcampfire