Home
Is the new 370 SAKO Magnum the American version of the 9.3x66mm?
Federal's new 370 Sako Magnum at Midway USA

Wow, who will be producing rifles? Just Sako or another commercial manufacturer?

If the 370 Sako Magnum is now going commercial manufacture in the U.S. and Canada, will it trump the 9.3x62 in ammo availability?

Will it fit in a standard length action?

I find this interesting, though I would have preferred them to stick with the 9.3x62 or 9.3x64mm Breneke.

What's your opinion?

Holy Cow! $88.99 A BOX. bmt
+1

...got caught up in the name and didn't look at the price...Ouch!
Why do we have to call everything a "Magnum" over on this side of the pond in order for it to sell well?

I think the 9.3 X 66 Sako is a GREAT round design. It gets about all of the performance that can be had out of a "30-06" sized cartridge. It will allow five cartridges to be stacked in a normal sized magazine and will move a 250 grain 37 caliber bullet out at about 2750fps. What's not to like about that?

Other than a bit of recoil... smile

Still less than a .338 Winchester, or so I'm told...
Why not just stick with the 9.3X64 Brennke?(sp?)

Ah well, seems like new cartridges are popping up like dandelions these days...
I am also looking at a 66 over a 64
-5 rounds vs 3
-much better factory ammo available in fact no suitable factory ammo available for 64
-to make a 64 you have to go to a unique bolt face
All that is true, yes.

Maybe I was wrong about the Brennke(don't tell anybody!)

grin
At ~$90/box, it's still less than half the cost of 416 Rigby ammo.

I still would have preferred the 9.3x62.

Okie John
I am quite happy with my 9.3X62 shooting 286gr Noslers.
If I want to step up from that, I think I would just go with a 375H&H...
JMO and YMMV.
I'll probably snag the first Sako M-85 I see in 9,3x66 especially if it's A.K.A. Federal 370 Sako mag................DJ
9.3X62

Are you going to get a 9.3x62 to round out your 36 caliber collection?
Who knows?
Maybe if this Sako cartridge has some degree of success, more folks will also offer 9.3X62s.

And maybe, just maybe the Sako 85 in 9.3X62 will become available in the US.

Ya mean the .3666 mag

Spot
Spot,
I was thinking of the 9.3X62-I wish that Sako would offer their M85 in that caliber in the USA, as from what I understand it is available in Canada?
Yup,

In Canada we can get the Model 85 Sako in either 9.3 x 62 or 9.3 x 66 and we can get the Tikka T3 in 9.3 x 62 too.

Perhaps it's because we have bigger animals up here - or perhaps it's because we're closer to Finland. smile
Thanks, Brian.

I guess I will have to 'make do' with my CZ...

Poor me. grin
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Yup,

In Canada we can get the Model 85 Sako in either 9.3 x 62 or 9.3 x 66 and we can get the Tikka T3 in 9.3 x 62 too.

Perhaps it's because we have bigger animals up here - or perhaps it's because we're closer to Finland. smile

BCBrian,
The Sako 85 is also available in Australia (needs to be ordered) in 9.3x66 and the T3 Lite is selling well as a 9.3x62.
Cheers...
Con
Is this it? The Cartridge?
Mule Deer or anyone else, have you hear news about the 370 Sako Magnum and if it is the 9.3x66 or some other new 9.3 cartridge?

Don't those cartridges look - well, I don't know - "real fine"?
They just look "right" - to my eye.
Yes, it does look great.

When it gets made by Federal, the cartridges will become more mainstream and accessible, heck, more than the 9.3x62mm which to my knowledge is not produced by even Federal yet!

Brian I may yet go to a 66 by rechambering a 62, these have been available from Sako Canada since introduced in Europe. Have not found anyone with a reamer in Canada. Brass now from 2 makers and 6 top quality factory loads available. One of the problems with the 62 is it is loaded to lower pressure than needs be and most manuals follow this pressure level. Most of the gain with the 66 is higher pressure although I have not seen CIP pressure specs for it.
CIP pressure specs are: for 9,3x62 is 3900bars/57000psi and for 9,3x66 is 4150bar/60000psi.
I want to see the rifles that this cartridge is chambered for. Anyone got any links?
not to send this elsewhere but i see 6.5 swede chambering in the sako gets an 8 twist.. hmmmmm

woofer
bear, here is one

http://www.sako.fi/sako85_syntstainless.php?m=1

try the ss and the hunter.....
woof
looks like a neat cartridge.
Another useless and duplicative cartridge introduction. After they sell a few boxes of $100 ammo for a few years, it'll go away like the .308 Norma magnum and the SAUMs.
$89 for a box of 20...no thanx!!!
Would love to own a Remington 700 Alaska Wilderness Rifle AWR
in 370 Sako.

More than enough to do the job anywhere.

It seems to be getting more attention now that the SHOT Show is over. The cartridges are even avialable here in Canada.

Cheers,
CL
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Another useless and duplicative cartridge introduction. After they sell a few boxes of $100 ammo for a few years, it'll go away like the .308 Norma magnum and the SAUMs.

Ain't that the way of the World ... after all the 35Whelen was perhaps simply a duplication of the already in existance 9x63mm available since 1905.
Cheers...
Con
Where can one order a SAKO 85?
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Yup,

Can you get the Varmint laminated stainless in 260 Rem?

Sorry for the OT
You don't need a special reamer for the 9,3x66.

Just push in the 9,3x62 reamer more 4 mm's - my friend Erkki Kauppi did it like this when he first played with the ctg. (

w/ Sako's first ctg run the case head said 9,3 x 66 EK - for Erkki Kauppi, which later was renamed to 9,3 x66 SAKO which now is adopted by Federal as the 370 federal.

Good ctg. w/Standard case head, does anything the 9,3x62 does and a much more, comparable to 9,3x64 Brenneke and .375 H&H (the later both w/ thicker case head.
© 24hourcampfire