Home
Posted By: Baylian hunting boots - 12/10/07
I am sure this has been covered before but the search engine on this thing doesn't work very well. Which boots do you think would be best for hunting in a spot and stalk style in the mountains of Utah in October? In November or December?

Thanks, TJ
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: hunting boots - 12/10/07
Lowas. the Tibet GTX. may bump up to the sheephunter in later seasons although I've done fine in the Tibets.
Posted By: husqvarna Re: hunting boots - 12/10/07
Russell High Country Hunters.
Posted By: Brad Re: hunting boots - 12/10/07
Only YOUR feet can tell you... Lowas don't fit my feet well even though they're excellent boots. I've got a pair of Cabelas Mountain Hunters on order... first pair had a flaw on the inside that chaffed... we'll see if the second pair is better. If so, they fit my feet much better than the Lowa Sheephunter or Tibet and are every bit the quality.

Hanwag, Meindl, Kenetrek... all make good boots too.

Bottom line, try on as many pairs as you can, if you can...

As to insulation, only your feet can tell you that as well. Some people need more insulation than others. For really cold, there's nothing quite as good as a pac with a removable liner like those that Schnees makes. For really cold, an insulated rubber bottom pac and removable liner is even better.

Really, I've never found one boot that does it all well but some will come very close.
Posted By: miket_81 Re: hunting boots - 12/10/07
From using the origional muck chore boot last year when doing all of our family farms work during the worst ice storm we have had in awhile and being very impressed I purchased a pair of the
Muck Woody MAX hunting boots for all of my hunting this year. They are very warm and have a comfort range of -40 to 60 degrees. They are not only the most comfortable boots I own but maybe the most comfortable shoes, they feel like slippers. My feet haven't got cold yet this year.
Highly recommend them.
Posted By: BigBoreFan Re: hunting boots - 12/10/07
I really like Meindl boots made for Cabela's. I don't think one pair of boots is the best choice for the various climate conditions you will encounter. I wear a pair Meindl Canada series boots until late season. I switch over to a heavir insulated boot in late season. I also like the Cabela's Outfitter series of boots.
Posted By: yoop Re: hunting boots - 12/11/07
I have a pair of Irish Setters #3852. Kangaroo leather, gore-tex, 400 gram thinsulate, and a decently aggressive sole.

I am sorely disappointed that they are chinese made.

Some folks don't like Red Wing/Irish Setter Boots, they fit my feet with practically no break-in.

IMO you need to go to a boot store and spend the time needed to find what fits your foot. Just make sure your foot does not slid front to back in them. I imagine it would really suck to travel down hill with your toes doing the stopping as they mashed in the front of the boots
Posted By: 257Bob Re: hunting boots - 12/11/07
Brad hit the nail on the head, no matter what the quality, fit is critical. last time I bought a pair of boots, I tried several brands and ultimately, the danners fit me best. they are not the brand I was planning to buy when I entered the store.

assuming quality is up to the task at hand, fit is most important for long lasting confort and utility.
Posted By: Brad Re: hunting boots - 12/11/07
257, I've used (hard) a pair of Danner Trophy boots (US Made) since 1999. They've got 600 gram Thinsulate insulation and fit my feet beautifully. They really are a great compromise boot between a Mountain Hunting Boot like the Lowas vs. a Pac-Type boot like the Schnees. I don't like their Goodyear Welt construction much and they don't have quite the level of ankle support a good Mountain Hunting boot has... but to get excellent ankle support the fit has to be tighter and the boot stiffer which typically means colder feet. There's no free lunch.

At last count I've got six different pairs of boots I use for elk hunting.
Posted By: smokepole Re: hunting boots - 12/11/07
I'll put in a vote for Han Wag Mountain Lights. If they fit your feet, they are excellent. Probably another thing to think about is custom foot beds, made for your own feet. They can make a huge difference in fit. My feet are hard to fit, tried a number of different boots over the years. The Han Wags fit like a glove, require almost no break-in, and are very comfortable and water-proof. I just got a pair but I've seen other guys wear theirs on week-long backpack hunts in snow with no problems whatsoever.
Posted By: Brad Re: hunting boots - 12/11/07
Smoke, Chuck nelson has the Hanwags and loves them!
Posted By: kutenay Re: hunting boots - 12/11/07
I have used about every make of highend Euro mountain boots made since the '60s, Hanwag are probably at the top of the heap in quality. These boots ARE cold, as Brad mentioned and are often too stiff for much hunting, but, when carrying a pack in steep terrain, nothing else works as well.

I have Schnee's, fine boots, but, I seldom wear them as they do not give the support of my old Kastinger climbing boots or current Van Gorkum custom boots.

I want two more pairs of boots, probably Hoffman's pacs with the ankle strap and a pair of Kenetreks with 400gm. insulation. I save my best boots for hunting and wear lighter Scarpa and La Sportiva boots for backpacking.

I also have Russell High Country Hunters, among the worst, overpriced pos clodhoppers I ever wasted money on.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: hunting boots - 12/11/07
I bought my danners and they have served me well. I only wear them on the farm so they dont get used daily. still, when I am doing chores or going for a walk (usually mid day with rifle in hand) the danners get the nod. they just feel good on my feet. however, for cool weather hunting, I just ordered a pair of schnees 10" insulated pacs. I hope they fit!

for my type of hunting, boots with rubber bottoms are a must for sent control. typically, I wear knee high rubbers as I often have to cross the creek.
Posted By: horse1 Re: hunting boots - 12/11/07
I use the predecessor to Brad's Danner Trophey's called the Danner Canadian. They are 11yrs old and look quite good, Danner Boot dressing, Pitch blend, and Obenhaufs has kept them going longer than I ever expected. Depending on the day I'll swap in either Danner Raptors or 13" Schnees packs. On really warm days I've even used my Russel upland boots with no trouble.

Kute, could you please elaborate on the Russel High country's? I like their upland boot so much that when my Canadians finally give up the ghost I was going to order the High Country's from Russel. I'm certainly open to dissenting opinion providing you've "been there there, done that". (big grin!)

In all seriousness, what didn't you like?
Posted By: ehunter Re: hunting boots - 12/11/07
I have gone though the standard catalogue boots but I really like Kenetrek boots I have their hiking boot and they are nice. Where we hunt we do a lot of walking on rough gravel roads to get back to our hunting areas and I don't want a overly stiff boot for sneaking but these boots work great on the gravel and thought the crap. Last Sunday I did a 6 mile walk into area to check on the elk herd and never had one sore spot or foot bruise they are a little stiffer than Lowa and some other hiking boots I have had. I don't think there is a perfect boot for every occasion that is why I have several but as of now Kenetrk gets my nod over danner and all the other boots.
Posted By: Baylian Re: hunting boots - 12/11/07
I have tried Danner Pronghorns and Georgia boots and they are just too narrow for my feet. I spent 2 hours at Sportsman's trying on their limited selection. None seemed to fit well enough to take home. I do have a bad right foot due to an old basketball injury. Thanks for all the input. I guess I'll block out a Saturday evening and go to Cabela's for a couple hours. My wife will LOVE that date.

Good Hunting, TJ
Posted By: horse1 Re: hunting boots - 12/12/07
The US made Danners are CONSIDERABLY different than their imports!
Posted By: Brad Re: hunting boots - 12/12/07
Got the Cabela's Mountains Hunters tonight ala UPS... the fit and comfort is awesome.
Posted By: zimhunter Re: hunting boots - 12/12/07
In Southern Arizona I wear Russel High Country Hunters with Gro-Cord sole. Have found them to be comfortable since the day they were delivered over 10 years ago.
Russels are probably fine for arid hunting conditions but they'd never fly up here.
Posted By: zimhunter Re: hunting boots - 12/12/07
There's supposed to be over 9" of snow in the mountains around Tucson tonite down to about 4000'. My grandaughter lives in Ogden and I don't find the mountains there any different. Rocks rock.
You need to come on an elk hunt here with the Russels... you'll curse them. For real mountainous country and snow they're borderline pathetic. Sorry to be so blunt but if the make you happy more power to ya. Hamburger is great until you eat steak.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: hunting boots - 12/12/07
My favorites are a 20 year old pair of Cabela's Mountain Hunters. For me very comfortable. Used them from Alaska to Southern CA. All leather with a great sole. Not sure what the current ones are but these were made in Italy. Very good quality and fit. Hopefully in 10 years or so when these wear out I can get something as good.
Posted By: Ramblin_Razorback Re: hunting boots - 12/12/07
Brad,

Can you give specifics about what is wrong with the Russell High Country Hunters in snow/wet conditions?
Posted By: RogerK Re: hunting boots - 12/18/07
Meindl boots from Cabela's. I speak from over 20 years of experiencem something like 18 of those years in the same pair, all of it in the Rocky Mountains. The sole finally came off that pair in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado 2 years ago. Know that by the time I wore this pair out, this model would not be made, I purchased a backup pair and carried them with me. I NEVER had cold or wet feet in that pair, right up to the time the sole came off.
Posted By: husqvarna Re: hunting boots - 12/18/07
I wore my Russell High Country Hunters on the Grand Mesa in CO for the late rifle season one year. That year the temps were -0 with snow and wind for the entire week. The Lacross pacboots I had would not fit the stirrups so I had to wear the Russells. Although the temperatures were lower than the Russells were designed for my feet remained warm and dry. My feet get cold very easily and the Russells really came through for me.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: hunting boots - 12/20/07
I've had great service from Asolo uninsulated, Gore-Tex boots. Since they run a bit wider than most boots, mine fit my wider feet perfectly. Coupled with Dalgren socks, my feet have never been cold, even elk hunting in sub zero temperatures. The trick is to select a model that matches your walking/climbing conditions. I don't, for instance, use my GTX 95's for cold steep hunting. I use the next higher grade, the TPS, which is designed for light mountaineering and heavy back packing. On the other hand, I don't use a true mountaineering boot. They don't flex enough for good performance.
Another good trick is the addition of light crampons. Mine are Katoola's. Added to any of my boots, they make any icy, snow slick sloop much easier and safer to handle. E
Posted By: djpaintless Re: hunting boots - 12/20/07
This year I bought a pair of the Cabela's Meindl "Perfekt Hunters". The boots fit and feel great but I had one problem with them - They Squeak! It would be hard to sneak up on anything the way they are now.
These are new boots and maybe after I put a few more miles on them they will quiet down, I wonder if anyone else has noticed this with the Meindl's and do they in fact quiet down after a few more miles? Thanks.....................DJ
Posted By: kutenay Re: hunting boots - 12/20/07
Rub in talcum powder to the affected areas.
Posted By: DMB Re: hunting boots - 12/20/07
Originally Posted by RogerK
Meindl boots from Cabela's. I speak from over 20 years of experiencem something like 18 of those years in the same pair, all of it in the Rocky Mountains. The sole finally came off that pair in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado 2 years ago. Know that by the time I wore this pair out, this model would not be made, I purchased a backup pair and carried them with me. I NEVER had cold or wet feet in that pair, right up to the time the sole came off.

Which model of Mindel do you have? There are several Mindel boots that Cabela's sells.

Thanks,

Don
Posted By: 257Bob Re: hunting boots - 12/20/07
I just got off of the telephone with Schnees of MT this morning. I had a return and they bent over backwards to accomodate me. Their customer service is over the top. I bought a pair of the insulated pacs with rubber bottoms and leather uppers. excellent boots!!!

my return was over fit, not quality.

they sell other brands as well.

best customer service in footwear ever!
Posted By: DMB Re: hunting boots - 12/20/07
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I just got off of the telephone with Schnees of MT this morning. I had a return and they bent over backwards to accomodate me. Their customer service is over the top. I bought a pair of the insulated pacs with rubber bottoms and leather uppers. excellent boots!!!

my return was over fit, not quality.

they sell other brands as well.

best customer service in footwear ever!

Just to add to your good experience:

I recently bought a pair of boots, a gun case, and some thermal underwear from them. The quality of their stuff is absolutely outstanding..
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: hunting boots - 12/21/07
I've got a pair of the Perfekt Hunters too. The brochure that came with them advised to put some snow seal type dressing on the tongue, particularly where it folds under the laceing to stop squeaks. Great boots, just don't get use of them here in southern Kansas
Posted By: DMB Re: hunting boots - 12/21/07
Originally Posted by Ole_270
I've got a pair of the Perfekt Hunters too. The brochure that came with them advised to put some snow seal type dressing on the tongue, particularly where it folds under the laceing to stop squeaks. Great boots, just don't get use of them here in southern Kansas

That's the thing that's holding me back from buying a pair of the Mindel's now. Not sure if they'll pay for themselves in terms of use.

Don
Posted By: GSSP Re: hunting boots - 12/21/07
Fall of 2002, I ordered a pair of the Russell South 40 Birdshooters. It was a pair of their "in stock" which are not custom made, just my standard size 11, D width. I went to So Dakota for a 4-day upland hunt and my feet felt fantastic at the end of each day when everyone else was limping around.

Two years later I took the leap and ordered a pair of their Sheep Hunters; basically their High Country Hunter on steroids. When they arrived the heel counters I ordered as an option, were rubbing badly against the back of my heel. I called Ralph who promptly had UPS pick up the boots at Russells cost. Back they came. They were better but not perfect. I got busy and let it go for nearly a year with out really making sure they were just right. Early the next summer I started getting ready for the upcoming hunting season and started hiking with a light pack. First morning; blister. I called Ralph, again, he sent UPS to pick up the boots at Russells cost. This time it's a perfect fit and during the Oct Utah elk hunt at between 9000-11,400 feet, in the snow at 16 deg F, they were perfect, day after day even with a full pack of elk meat on my back coming down off the mountain.

I fully agree with those who say "fit" is paramount when it comes to boots. Russells and Ralph were willing to make that fit perfect.
© 24hourcampfire