Home
Posted By: logger Benchrest bench dimensions? - 12/11/07
What are the typical dimensions of a benchrest bench? I'm 6'2" and at my local club I feel that I have to hunch over more than I would like to shoot. I know that I could get a lower sitting stool, but at some point my butt is lower than my knees. So, are there any generally accepted dimensions for a benchrest bench that vary with the shooter's height?
How much higher would you like your club's benches to be? wink
Posted By: logger Re: Benchrest bench dimensions? - 12/12/07
Frankly, I don't shoot off benches enough to have a sense for what would be considered good shooting form from a bench to really know what would fit me the best. I just wondered if the NRA or others have standard bench dimension for sanctioned events and whether shooters accomodate different height preferences by bringing their own adjustable shooting stools. I plan to try different heights using our dining room table to get a sense for what is most comfortable.
logger,

I'm going to take some flak from saying this but I've never been politically correct.

Most benches are set up for little guys because most benchrest shooters are little guys.

Big guys will almost always have a problem with the dang things. I can use short benches for awhile but if I'm there for several hours shooting I get tired and cramped up and my accuracy (and my back) suffers.

There seems to be no standardization but I've only seen a very few that were taller than "painfully short".

Consider making yourself a lightweight shooting platform to add a few inches to benches. You could use 2x4's and plywood.

I built my own benches from free plans offered here and adjusted the benchtop height to suit me...
http://www.boogerbench.com/

$bob$
Posted By: logger Re: Benchrest bench dimensions? - 12/12/07
Thanks, Bob, for the link.
I did some reserch on that for my club. Typical bench height is 34"
© 24hourcampfire