Home
Posted By: nick Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/16/08
I am going to buy myself a 30-06 rifle and would like some opinions. First off, I confess to being a "churner" as John Barsness made me realize in his article on the 280AI in Handloader.Do not try to convince me to go with a different cartridge that can do "more" and "better", I am over 50 yrs old and I do not have a 30-06 and thats what I want dammit!! Also, I want blue steel and walnut. With this criteria in mind here is a list of rifles I am considering and would like to hear from some of you that have actually shot some of these and would like to hear your opinions on them be it good or bad.
Ruger No1 always wanted one, heard all the stories about the forend "tweaking" and such but still considering it.
CZ maybe full stock with sights but my eyes get weaker and weaker so would probably have to scope it or just buy an "American Classic?" non-full stock.
Savage Classic I hear a lot of guys put down Savage, never owned one, but all that I have shot have been accurate.
Remington in the Classic line or maybe the "Mauser" model, usually can't go wrong with Rem.
Ruger M77 never had or shot one.
I forgot to mention my purpose for this rifle would just be load development and hopefully some hunting.
Looking for feedback from some of ye that have actually shot any of these.I know there are a lot of other makers out there, but I've narrowed my search to these.
I guess if I were a true "churner" I would buy one of each try them all and keep what I want to do my part to help the Firearms Industry but I am not that far gone yet.
What say ye...
Posted By: biglmbass Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/16/08
700 CDL if you can like a 2-positon safety. Ruger Hawkeye if you like/prefer a 3-position safety.
If you can hold out, wait for the new M70 FWT! grin
Posted By: iambrb Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/16/08
I personally am not a fan of the Remmy/Mauser. I was never really that huge of a fan when it was called Interarms Mark X, but maybe it is just me.

The Kimber 8400 is very nice, but I have not had the opportunity to shoot one. Same for the Tikka, which is a bit heavy, but nicely balanced

I am a huge fan of Mannlicher rifles, but I bet that CZ 550FS with 20" bbl in 30-06 is a bit heavy in blast, and you will loose at least a little in perfomance. An advantage to the CZ is the neat-o set trigger, though.

Te Remmy CDL is very pretty and I have a secret lust for the LSS MOuntain gun version, but not enough "buckage" to get one. Opinions will vary, but they are great rifles, IMHO.

Have not had an opportunity to even handle the "new" Ruger M77, but it would be a solid performer, and right in the same price range as the CZ.

The Savage action will never win a beauty contest, and there ar emany, and I have been one, that remembers when they sold it as cheap as they could possibly get it with wood straight from Home-Depot or found floating in the nearest lake, and a LOT of cheap tin in non-critical areas. Do not less this dissuade you, as guns since the 90's are much better made, and though tht action ain't as pretty or as smooth, those darn thing shoot. So much so, I was thinking of one myself!

The Howa (not mentioned) is also known as the Weatherby Vanguard and is another that seems to get little attention, but is actually a very-very accurate gun, Sub-MOA version or not.

I would kind of avoid the Mossberg ATR/4X4. I really wanted one.....right up until I looked at it. It just does not do it for me. If you want something really cheap, then yeah, but it sounds like you are not wanting of gun of this type. Same for the low-end Savages with the tupperware-type stocks that are flat like a 2x4 and flex in the hand. Pay a little more and get the wood stock classic version or one with a decent stock, for good ness sake.

did that help or just stir the pot some more? (grin)
Posted By: Hubert Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/16/08
skip the remmy and ruger . if you want accurcy out of the box and low price go with the Vanguard. you will never regreat it.
Posted By: BMT Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/16/08
Hawkeye gets my vote for Blued Steel and Walnut in 30-06.

BM
shoot, i'd look for a model 70 push feed in appropriate mufti ...
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/16/08
Vanguard would be hard to beat for the money. however, my approach would be to find the action of your choice and have douglas screw on a new tube, say a CM in a #2 countour at 24" and you would be good to go.

I have a win 70 take-off bbl, as new, in 30-06, with a teflon finish that I would sell for $50 if that floats your boat.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/16/08
i've had 30-06s' in the following - rem 700 adl, bdl, and sps stainless; win model 70 stainless/synthetic; and ruger mk2. i sold all of them except the ruger. on my ruger mk2 i free floated the barrel, adjusted the trigger down to 3 lbs and glass bedded the wood. the gun shoots factory federal 180gr partitions into an inch and easily takes elk and deer. as one who is also over 50, i was looking to simplify my life and get my number of rifles down to just what i think i NEED for all my hunting. the 06 does exactly that. i'd say try a ruger mk2 or hawkeye. you won't be disappointed. good luck
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/16/08
Congrats on picking a fine all around cartridge and sticking to your guns (so to speak).

Ruger, either #1 (I want one also), or 77..... Very nice guns for the money, and any I have are shooters.

Savage Classic.... Very nice guns, I dont own one, but have heard they are excellent shooters.

CZ...... American Classic.... Very nice.... Wont regret it.

All of your options will serve you well. I do feel the Remington CDL are a fine choice also.

All basic guns that will serve a hunter for a long time
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/16/08
If you want something ina 30'06 that says "Classic," I can of nothing that will say it better than a Ruger No.1.
Other runner ups would be the better stock M70's if you can find one, the wood stockered Kimbers, or the better stocked Remingtons in that order.
A single shot has a special charm. Not for the drag it through the mud and bounce it off the rocks type hunter. At least not for most of them.
I prefer the M70/Ruger/Kimber and Mauser 98 actions over the push feeds like the Savages/Remingtons/Tikkas and Vanguards. They will work when other actions quit.
I wouldn't go for something on the light side, like the Kimbers or some of the Remingtons unless you are sure they will work for you.
I've seen lots of Savages that shot very well. I do not like their action design. Unless you get their Accu-Trigger, which, in spite of it's press, does have a little creep besides being a two stage trigger, I wouldn't consider one. Not if you want something really nice. E
Posted By: Eldorado Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/16/08
1st choice: Pre-64 model 70 winchester featherweight.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/C...ern-Bolt-Auto-Single/Model-70/Pre-64.htm

2nd Choice: Kimber 8400 Straight stock.

3rd Choice: CZ 550 American or CZ 550 with bavarian stock for a
Taller person.
Posted By: TexasRick Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/16/08
I've owned and shot almost all the rifles you've mentioned in .30-06 (except the Mannlicher.....which I'll explain).

The Ruger Number 1 is a great rifle and one every gun nut needs to own at least once, but it is definitely a "specialty" weapon. A single shot rifle is good in the hands of an experienced shooter, but not as versitile as a bolt action. Also, since load development was mentioned.....getting a Number 1 to shoot well is much harder than a typical bolt gun. I'd rule it out unless it's the looks and style that are important to you.

A full stock Mannlicher rifle has appeal.....but not a carbine in .30-06. I've never owned a .30-06 carbine, but I did (several years ago) take 26" barreled .30-06 and cut it back an inch at a time to 18".....just to see what would happen to velosity. Whe you get below 22" the loss in velosity is such that what you are basically shooting is a .308 with a big fireball at the muzzle and a tremendous blast. For a Mannlicher carbine, I went with a .308. If you are thinking of a full stocked RIFLE with a 22" barrel.....that's a different animal. A full rifle lenght Mannlicher is just soooooo sexy....like a pair of long legs peeking out from a short skirt. Might be a good choice.

The Savage is......ugly, but in recent years thay have improved that a little and there is probably no factory rifle that is as consistantly accurate out of the box. I'd probably not go that way....but it's a personal thing as to the looks.

I will say up front that I am a controlled feed, Mauser kind of guy (no real solid reason why....I just feel better with that type action). I always liked the Mark X (Remington) and it would do nicely.

I also like the Ruger 77, Mark II (close to a Mauser action as produced today) and if you've never owned one.....that's another reason to go there. Never handled or shot a Hawkeye, but it looks like a remade Model 77 to me......and I'm still pissed about Ruger messing with my mind. A "Ruger Hawkeye" is a single shot pistol based on the Blackhawk frame......not a rife!!!

If it were me.....I'd probably look for a Ruger 77 (Mark II), and if you were to stock it in a rifle length Mannlicher stock, I'd be in love.

Also as to the choice of blued steel and walnut........thank God there are still some shooters with taste. Only way to go in my opinion.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/16/08
there is a Sako in the free classifieds , check it out..
the ruger #1A is one of the smoothest-shooting 30-06s i have owned. mine was made before ruger began making their own barrels, and i had issues with accuracy. i sent it back to ruger, they changed the barrel, changed the forend hanger (actually cut it off and rewelded it in the correct position), and replaced the trigger, all for free. it shot okay afterward. some #1s shoot good, others don't. i think the newest ones with the ruger-made hammer-forged barrels are the best #1s ever made. my new 7x57 drives tacks.

the ruger m77mkii is one of the best bolt-action rifles ever made because the CRF action is smooth as silk and dead reliable. i own several. if you get one, plan on tweeking the barrel channel at the forend tip to obtain best accuracy (either floating the barrel or firming-up the pressure point). also plan on tweeking the trigger to make it lighter and smoother. some other rifles have better triggers from the factory and some have better barrel/forend bedding, but none are prettier or smoother than the ruger m77mkii. if you want blued steel, get the m77mkii instead of the hawkeye because the hawkeye doesn't really look like blued steel. the mkii has the best polish and bluing you will find in a factory finish. the hawkeye might be a little better as a hunting gun because the finish is dull and non-reflective, but the mkii is prettier.

CZs are heavy and clunky, the bolt doesn't allow a scope to be mounted low enough, and the bolt binds worse than any other gun i've handled.

remingtons are okay, i suppose, but they're not CRF. my favorite is the m700 classic series.

-
I didn't get the impression thatt price was a big issue but thewae are all what I regard as good values.Good luck with your choices.

1. A pre-64 FW would do it as good as anything. Yes I have some and no they are not for sale.

2. I believe the prettiest wood/blue '06's were the early pushfeed featherweights that had the iron sights. The wood and bluing was better than what I saw later.

3. The early Remington mountain rifles are graceful and classic and I like the foreend tip.

Posted By: 300grains Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/16/08
Consider a Tikka T3 also.
A thirty ought what? Never heard of it. smile

Find a nice pre 64 Model 70 in the weight of your choice and never look back.

Wayne
Posted By: bcp Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/16/08
J. C. Higgins Model 50 or 51.

Often found for $200-$300 in pawn shops.

Bruce
Originally Posted by southtexas

That's what I'm a doin.

GB
Now that is a good action! (the JC Higgins I mean)

Dober
Posted By: TexasRick Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/16/08
I agree about the J.C. Higgins rifles. Diamonds in the rough hiding amoung the common gravel. Most don't realize what they are looking at when one is seen on a used gun rack.....I have two and both cost less than $200 to buy!!
Posted By: nick Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/16/08
Thanks for all the input. I've been looking for a while and may have to blow the dust off the wallet
Posted By: nick Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/16/08
Thanks for all the input. I've been looking for a while and may have to blow the dust off the wallet
Wait a little bit and get a model 70 super grade 30-06.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/16/08
I have had a .30-06 MCA Mannlicher and the muzzle blast is a bit much out of a 20 inch barrel, but not too bad. I am looking hard at buying another one right now. I would not go shorter than 20 inches, though.

I don't know what kind of other rifles you have, but it seems you like blue steel and walnut. I just saw a used Ruger 77 last week in 98% condition for $400.00. Add a front sight and an NECG aperture sight on the rear integral base and your tired old eyes will be happy.

The beauty of it is, you can pop off that rear sight, and drop on a scope whenever you want, if you mount it a set of Warne or Talley QD rings.

If you are real retro, look for a vintage 1960s sporter built on a 1903 Springfield, with a Lyman aperture sight. I picked up a gorgeous one for $325.00.

My latest .30-06 is the other extreme, a Tikka T3 SS Lite. It would be better in a 6.5x55 or .270, but this rifle rocks with all ammo so far. The traditional rifles are more fun for me for hunting.

Hey, don't forget these beauties:
* Winchester 1895
* 100th Anniversary Ruger No 1 ($999.00 from CDNN)
* 100th Anniversary Winchester 1885 single shot
A cupple years back, I bought a Remmie 700 ADL 30-06 for a "donor" to rebarrel to 35 Whelen. Ended up buying a CDL instead, but that old ADL would put 5 under 1". Wish I'da kept it!
Virgil B.
Posted By: koot Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/17/08
I love my Husky in 30-06.shoots good groups too.I would get one in a lighter version(4100?)any time!!
Koot
Bring up this thread and check it out.

New Savage 14 American Classic 7mm-08 *heavy pics
Get yourself a pre-64 Winchester Model 70.
I would go with a CZ 550 American all the way. The new American has been put on a weight watchers diet and tips the scales at 7 lbs and four ounces, or there about. The old models came in at 8 lbs, about eight ounces more than the beloved Remington BDLs. The checkering on the new 550 Americans have been improved as well and the price tag remained about the same. Of the CZs I have owned the bolt cycling has been no better, or worse, than most other major manufactured rifles. If you do get one that is rough, a couple of nights in front of the television watching movies and cycling the bolt will smooth it up just right. You get scope rings with the rifle and out of the box accuracy is outstanding. Wood to metal finish the excellent. What I like probably the most is the single set trigger. Also any one with even no knowledge about gunsmithing can adjust pull weight, creep and over travel with little of no trouble. If you do go the CZ route ask for one of the new models. CZ hasn't even put it or any other new deals in the catalog. Good Luck .... Tom Purdom
Posted By: okie john Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/17/08
What's your budget?

Okie John
I have, or have had, several pre 64 Model 70's in 30-06. Not one of them shot under 3/4 or over 1 1/2 inches with factory loads. No wonder it is referred to as "The Rifleman's Rifle".

Just do it. If you don't love it, they are easy to sell and get your money back.

Thirty-Ought-What?

Wayne
I have, or have had, several pre 64 Model 70's in 30-06. Not one of them shot under 3/4 or over 1 1/2 inches with factory loads. No wonder it is referred to as "The Rifleman's Rifle".

Just do it. If you don't love it, they are easy to sell and get your money back.

Thirty-Ought-What? wink

Wayne
All the above is bad advise except for one post. Buy a Tikka t3, either in the Hunter version or the T3 Lite. They are made by SAKO and for the price cannot be beat. Sub MOA right out of the box with factory or handloads. No tweaking the trigger, no messing with bedding, no sanding of the barrel channel, no other tricks required, no sending off for pillar bedding or that required $349 accuracy and trigger job. Great workmanship, can't tell you about customer service as I haven't needed them. I have four and each and every one is a pleasure to shoot. Major problem I have with them is that the wood is too good for such an inexpensive rifle.

Brownings are good also, if not great.
From what I've personally seen/experienced I would grab a Ruger M77 Mk II or Hawkeye. For a one gun job I'd go stainless/synthetic but you mentioned blued/walnut. I've not shot a Hawkeye yet but dang the one's I've handled felt really darn good! I actually like the looks of the finish in both the wood and metal and again, the feel appealed to me. The Savage Classic would also get attention from me as my experience shooting several Savage 110s has been favorable. Please take note as I don't mention these to be "the best" as I've not shot them all and I don't believe "the best" actually exists. It's what you want and how it appeals to you and your needs. Good luck.
Posted By: Shag Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/17/08
Easy, Model 70 Featherweight
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by southtexas

That's what I'm a doin.

GB

Me too! Was hoping the Stainless would be out this year, but guess I'll go ahead and get a blued steel version.
At your age of 50+ you deserve the classic looks of the Ruger #1 and they do shoot. Ruger has been making their own barrels since 1996.

There is always a blue /walnut Encore. smile

Doc
Posted By: Shag Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/17/08
If your 50+ you prolly couldn't carry a #1!! Way to heavy.:)
I have a Tikka, and would not trade it for accuracy. I have a #1, though not in 30-06, and it will also keep its place in my safe.

For the $, hard to beat the Tikka in walnut blue. Shucks, if there is so much dust on your wallet that you had to post twice about blowing it off grin buy a #1 AND a Tikka. wink
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/17/08
Rick: SSSSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! quiet please! smile
My vote for sure would be a M70 FW.Plenty of them out there.Get a pre64 if you wanna spend a bit more money. Even at current prices they are cheap in the long run.

I was cruising a gun show last week end and "bumped into" a pre 64 standard in 30/06, fair wood, great metal.Priced about right so I bought it.

Ran to the range after slapping on a 2.5-8x Leup w/B&C, and tightening the screws.The load was the 150 AB with 60-H4350; I sat there and watched this old rifle, with no coddling,pile 7 of 9 shots into a ragged hole that just kept getting a bit larger @100 yards; there were two flyers that "opened" the group to about 1 1/2".

This makes the umpteenth pre 64 I've seen perform like that. My FW will behave pretty much the same in a Bansner stock.They are worth the dough IMHO.
Posted By: nick Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/17/08
To the shootist and bob in NH, there is more dust on my wallet than money in it HA!! As to all the Model 70 fans and Tikka fans...I have one of each. My Tikka is in 6.5 Swede and shoots great with about any load I put through it..definately love the Tikka's and would highly recommend them...I have a Model Fwt in 257 Robts that was my main deer and antelope gun for a long time and never needed more than one round on the 10 or so deer and goats I put my sights on.So even though I agree with both of thoses being good/safe choices...I'm wantin to try something different to me anyways.......thanks for all the input and glad to see the No1 Ruger fans starting to come out of the woodwork
Posted By: 2Seventy Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/17/08
With the "blue steel and walnut" requirement the choices for me would be easy. The 700 CDl or Savage Classic. Both are American made and should prove to be very accurate. I'd try to find a place that stocked them both so you could size them up. Either one would be a great gun.

2Seventy
Nick: What makes you happy is the one to use.We all have our preferences and in truth they all work pretty damn good! It is the man behind the rifle more than anything else that gets the results.
Browing safari model circa:1964 30-06 mauser action. True calssic rifle. approx $1200
Sako Finnbear (pre-garcia; 1972): 30-06 accurate and smoth action. $800
Remington old ADL: A series or learlier. Better steel. Hard to beat an old remington. $400
All can be had at Gunbroker.com
put a Leupold VXIII 2.5x8x36mm and you have the perfect rifle.
New rifles are not that interesting. I like taking one that has been around for a while and giving it a new life.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/17/08
A Husqvarna Crown 3000 is a nice .30-06 - not too classic, not too modern, very handsome and a good shooter.
Nothing wrong with the Ruger Mark II's or the Hawkeye. Good shooters and a good value.
Posted By: tj3006 Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/19/08
I agree with the idea of the higgins or an FN. They are awfully nice. But I like the hawkey better than any ogf the other new ones !
...tj3006
Posted By: passport Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/19/08
What about a Cooper?
Posted By: let_me_in Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/19/08
For load development, the trigger on the CZ, or Savage accu-trigger is hard to beat. Both come in wood / blued versions.
Posted By: cole_k Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/19/08
Originally Posted by Shag
If your 50+ you prolly couldn't carry a #1!! Way to heavy.:)

Nooooo, No. 1A is 7.5# and they shot great.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/19/08
If stainless/laminated, Remington's 700 LSS Mountain Rifle.

If blued CM/walnut, a Husqvarna with the 8000/9000 series action.

Jeff
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/19/08
yeah, cooper ... guaranteed accuracy and great wood,fit, and finish
Posted By: cole_k Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/20/08
Originally Posted by Mississippi
Browing safari model circa:1964 30-06 mauser action. True calssic rifle. approx $1200
Sako Finnbear (pre-garcia; 1972): 30-06 accurate and smoth action. $800
Remington old ADL: A series or learlier. Better steel. Hard to beat an old remington. $400
All can be had at Gunbroker.com
put a Leupold VXIII 2.5x8x36mm and you have the perfect rifle.
New rifles are not that interesting. I like taking one that has been around for a while and giving it a new life.

Ain't that the truth and a lot of fun. I might add that the 1950's FN's and Husky's. They can be had for between 150 and 300 depending on the condiction. The last one I bought was for $200 in FN 30-06 Improved aka 270 Win. I took it to the rqange and shot as is and it shot 1.5" groups. I cleaned the barrel, polished the chamber and it shot 1" groups. I then refinished the stock glass beded the action and 2" of the barrel and floated the rest of the barrel, it then shot .5" groups.

What not to like about these old rifles?
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/20/08
Originally Posted by let_me_in
For load development, the trigger on the CZ, or Savage accu-trigger is hard to beat. Both come in wood / blued versions.

I've never felt a tweaked Accu-trigger, so I am just going by how they feel at the gunshop... but that said, a regular M700 trigger is pretty easily adjustable to being superior to an Accutrigger IMHO.

If the Accutrigger tweaks up to be better than what I've felt then I could be wrong.

-jeff
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/20/08
An accutrigger doesn't require disassembly of either gun or wallet to tweak! grin That's the biggest difference, to me, between the Savage and Rem 700 triggers.

The Accutrigger is pretty decent right on the rack 'tis true.

ARE they adjustable?

The M700 trigger is not hard to adjust, though...

-jeff
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/20/08
The accutrigger is adjustable via a hex key, much easier than the Remington trigger.
I'd like to check out an adjusted one sometime. It's a good thing to do- put a decent trigger on a rifle, right off the rack.

The pre-Accutrigger Savage I had some years ago shot lights-out even with the crappy trigger that it came with.

-jeff
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/20/08
Mississippi: I agree on the "old" rifles.They do have a lot of appeal.And it's surprising how they perform sometimes!

Unless previously owned by a whacko shooter, big game rifles generally do not get shot a lot,and many are in great shape,even if a bit worn cosmetically.I have a hard time resisting them,and have NEVER seen a pre64 M70 I did not want to own.... wink
Posted By: CP Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/20/08
Hey Rick, do it your way� When I became interested in shooting .35s, I learned in short order that the only way that I could own a rifle that met my requirements was to have it put up. I have purchased new Model 70s and 77s and never fired them, before they were sent to gunsmiths or barrel manufacturers to be put up the way I wanted them. From triggers, barrel lengths, contours, twists and finishes to stocks, bedding, pillars, sights, recoiled pads, swivel posts, firing pin springs and on and on I had them put up my way. At 50 years old, you deserve an 06 just the way you want it. Just get one put up your way. CP.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/21/08
It's smart not to fire them. You might get unlucky and get a really accurate factory barrel and then you feel silly getting it rebarreled... grin

-jeff
wink
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/21/08
Reminds me of the tourist puddle I told you about........
grin
Model 70 Supergrade when they come out
I don't think you are going to like the feel of the action on a savage or a ruger.

don't beat me up guys, I own both so I'm just sharing honest opinion.

The feel & function of a 700 or a M70 is something you get used to, you get kind of spoiled, I do anyways.

I put down a M70 in push feed, crf or crpf & pick up a ruger, sure it feeds & extracts.. so does the savage, but neither feel as nice as a 700 or M70. They just don't.

The cocking ramp in the savage bolt is steep, makes for a heavier lift on the bolt handle that just... well it just ramps so heavy & sharp, like unlocking a very tightly clamped set of vice grip locking pliers... Then the ride back & forth in the rails... both your ruger & savage are going to ride a little sloppy in the rails. They have a lot more tail wag in them than a 700 or M70.

They both work well, like I said, I have some of each & I like the rifles for there function & perfromance.

But for me neither is in there for that precision fit sort of feel that a 700 or M70 action can give you.

And, you've sort of indicated that you want something different & you already have a M70 that you like... So, I guess I'd point you at the Rem 700 action & inside that base model you have oodles of choices in the look you may be after. Glossy coffee table finished wood-BDL. classic finish-CDL. laminated... what ever floats your boat they got it.

maybe a 100 yr anniversary version... but you said you wanted blued, forgot about that.

Posted By: jobyjob Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/21/08
Lots of really clean tang safety M77's out there.
Posted By: dmazur Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/24/08
While it's a little work (and some waiting), you also might consider a Montana Rifle Company 1999 barreled action. You get your choice of barrel contours, fluted or not, and they do the headspacing & guarantee magazine feed.

Then, send it to Accurate Innovations for a walnut stock, with as many options as you want (or just a few...) They will fit the stock to the 1999. This is an aluminum framed stock like a HS Precision, but they offer it in walnut. Pillar bedded, too.

The total package will cost you around $1400, which is similar to the cost of a new Winchester M70. MRC 1999 action is enough of a M70 clone that aftermarket triggers and scope bases for the M70 fit...

The problem with this is, it's almost impossible to find one to pick up and examine before placing the order. It has to be done on faith. smile
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I don't think you are going to like the feel of the action on a savage or a ruger.

don't beat me up guys, I own both so I'm just sharing honest opinion.

As far as smoothness and precision of the bolt, I have never felt one smoother than a Tikka. My only issue with them is that I would rather support American manufacturers. I might have to make an exception with the Tikka though. A lot of guys rave about them here, and one can't argue much about the price.

Another nice rifle is the Weatherby MkV sporter, of which I own two. In the standard calibers they are lightweight and accurate, and can be had used for around $700. Again, you might have to tweek the forend bedding and trigger just a bit to bring out the best in them, but I'm accustomed to doing that with just about every rifle I buy. I even had to tweek the forend of my Kimber a little bit, even though they are supposedly free-floated from the factory.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/24/08
Or just buy a pre-64 Model 70 for $700 and be done with it.
Man, I don't see many pre-64s for $700, even in popular calibers.

-
Posted By: temmi Re: Help me pick out a 30-06 - 01/24/08
My son & I have a Rem 700 BDL and love them, or a CDL (my nephew has one) both very accurate out of the box. I would buy one again.
© 24hourcampfire