Home
Who wrote the series, and is it available in book form? I always looked forward to it as a kid.
Robert C Ruark wrote Field & Stream's "The Old Man and the Boy" columns, which became two books � The Old Man and the Boy and The Old Man's Boy Grows Older � both of which are fine works.

For my money, Ruark was a brighter light than either Jack O'Connor or Warren Page (both of whom I idolized).

edited to add:
Here's one place to find 'em.
Whenever the weight of the world seems to be wearing me down I pull Ruark off the book shelf and go back to a different world for awhile ..... it doesn't take him long to dissolve whatever has been bothering me and put a smile on my face.
This was after Ruarks (which I loved), and came out in the 80s.
I'm currently reading Ruark's "Use Enough Gun" It's enough to cure cabin fever all by itself. I have read " The Old Man and The Boy" a couple of times. Seems like the best way to grow up that I ever read about.
Originally Posted by Flfiremedic
This was after Ruarks (which I loved), and came out in the 80s.
Ask Dave Petzal at [i]Field & Stream[/i].
I recall what you are talking about. In concept if not in content, it was such a knock-off of Ruark's work that I didn't take it seriously, although it wasn't too bad. I don't remember who wrote it, but I think he was fairly well known.
I'm thinking the writer might be Dan Sisson, if I get a chance, I'll rummage around in the garage and find out for sure.

Tim
That sounds right, but no guarantee.
© 24hourcampfire