Home
I thought some people might like to know that as of this morning I am no longer working for Wolfe Publishing, either as a writer or editor. Several other magazines are interested in publishing my articles, however.
Mule Deer,
I as sad to hear that, please let us know what magazines will be publishing your articles.

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the change.
Will your wife still be writing for them?
Good luck JB and let us know where you'll be publishing your stuff.
That is awful news. However, for whatever reason, it's their loss. You're simply the best in the business, and you'll have a loyal following wherever you write. I'll subscribe just to read your work, even if it's Reader's Digest, and I'm sure there will be a gazillion other loonies that will join me.

Greg Perry
That's bad news for Wolfe as you certainly were "the anchor" for their success. I will be interested to see what direction you strike out in. Maybe total freelance? Keep us posted.
If you're taking requests, I'd like a coffee-table book on rifles as a companion to "Shotguns for Wingshooting."
Mule Deer, I am sorry to hear that. I hope that whatever happened, you were at least able to leave on your own terms.
Certainly Wolfe's loss as far as I'm concerned.
Hi John , The best of luck to you , I'll keep buying you keep writing . Wolf's loss , I hope your gain !
Mule Deer

Sorry to hear that you left. The reason I subscribed to Wolf Publication was because I enjoyed what you were saying here at the campfire. I will be looking forward to see who will be publishing your work.

Scotty
Geesh, John. You were one of the reasons why I (and many others) subscribed to Rifle and Handloader. No doubt a man with your talent and experience will bring his "customers" with him. Without knowing any details, no doubt their loss and your gain. Good luck with future endeavors, but then again your a man that makes his luck.

I can imagine all kinds of good reasons for this parting of ways, of course. I had plenty of good reasons to leave when I did (1983!), as well as plenty of good reasons to feel relieved and liberated afterward � which I hope you feel too. wink

Like Boston or New York City, Wolfe Publishing is a good place to be from.

All the best to you 'n' yourn, now 'n' ever, Amigo!
The only reason I subscribe to the Wolfe publications is so I can read Mule Deer's stuff. John, let me know where to find your articles in the future so I can drop my subscriptions to the Wolfe publications and subcribe to wherever you move to next. Oh yeah, did I mention that I detest Dave Scovils writing.
JB,

Thanks for the "heads up". Would appreciate any advance notice of your future published work so that I can check it out.

Wish I could quit my job sometimes. grin

"When one door is closed, another is open"
Like most jobs I've had. I needed it when I got it but when I left it was time to go. I hope it works the same for you. I think it may be time to re-invent yourself anyway. Working for a magazine company in the age of the internet is like building record players in the age of the compact disk.

I wish you all the best!

Terry
Damn! Just renewed all three! We'll miss you and it will be interesting to see how the publications evolve over the next year...

Good luck in your future ventures (not that you really need any luck).
That's too bad, I love your stuff.
Does that mean the Montana elk hunt with you is off the table? Not that I would really win...
John, just a note of support from the great white north. Like everyone else I will be interested in where your future articles will be appearing. All the best in the future.

Jim.
I'm glad I didn't send in my renewal yet.
I try not to comment on things like this as its life and azzholes abound. But I have to here. I have not been impressed with wolfe the company, but they do have/had some good writers(or is it authors...). John you are one of the best there has been, I'll follow your writing where it takes you. As to wolfe, nope, no more.

And mudhen...you can cancel and get the money back.... just FYI.

Jeff
Don`t quite know what to say.Best wishes.Huntz
PS please keep us up to date who you will write for.I cant begin to tell you how much I enjoy your writing!!!!! grin
When I worked in the aerospace industry in the 1960s, the old Glenn L Martin company (which the bean-counters and lawyers had shoved ol' Glenn out of) was notorious for the free and frivolous way that it shed droves of able men. Every company that I did any work for had quite a few Martin alumni � able men who'd been laid-off mere weeks before the Martin big-wigs knew that they'd soon need 'em back again.

Being from Martin was a sign of ability and accomplishment. I've often wondered how many accepted Martin's rehire offers only a few weeks after they'd been laid-off. I've always doubted that very many of their best candidates were still unemployed.
John, These guys have said it all, I agree with them 100%,, You are one of the few remaining writers who has Done it,, you talk the talk and walk the walk when it comes to shooting, reloading and hunting,, we have all learned from your work, Thank You and I will continue to enjoy your future articles wherever they come from.
Randy
WOW! They lost a good man. If not too early where are you going to settle? And where can I find Eileen's by line? Bear
John, the main reason I've continued to subscribe to Rifle is your articles. They are reasoned, well written and clearly based on solid experience - no bull has been your trademark. As many have said, it's Wolfe's loss. However, my view is that the editorial direction of both Rifle and Handloader has been clearly declining and without your presence on the staff it's only a matter of time before the inevitable happens. Good luck, talent is your personal attribute and assures your continued success. Godspeed.
Since you're at the top of your profession, you won't have any trouble finding somebody who will want to add your name and reputation to their masthead. I think that Wolfe [bleep] up when they didn't do everything possible to keep their best writer.

Jeff
What the hell? A true loss for Wolfe IMO. I really liked what you did with Successful Hunter. Seems you really turned that magazine around.

Best of luck in whatever you do next.

Travis
Mule Deer ....

As a fellow Eng. Lit. major, I've always enjoyed the craft of your excellent articles, and hope to continue reading your work for years to come. Perhaps it's time to start your own E-zine.

Happy Trails, from Interior Alaska.
MD

Good luck wherever you land. Someone who excels in their field will always have a job so please keep us informed of your next publisher.

I guess that helps with my decision on renewing for the hardcopies! Not!! I'll stick with the cheaper online versions...

Mike
I've only started reading JB's articles relatively recently due to my perusing this site, and absolutely enjoy the information and the way he presents it. Analysis is top notch and topics are relevant. Change is often a good thing and I can relate, as I recently decided to chart another course myself. Let us know more about your future endeavors when you're ready to MD. Good fortune.
John

Everything works out for the best, It was an old outfitter-packer from Montana that taught me that. And so far he's been right. He was sort of my Norman Strung.

Onwards and upwards.
MD,

As a subscriber I am sorry to hear that frown. However, magazines have no feelings and as someone who liked reading your work I wish you and yours the best, my subscription be damned. grin
John - best of luck with your future endeavors. Wolfe certainly seems to do an excellent job of running off writers that I enjoy reading. As mentioned above, I feel that the magazines have been in decline for quite some time. You were the glue holding them together. Best, John
Well put Dakotakid
all the best to you MD
Wolfe publications is definitely diminished by your departure. I subscribe to the three magazines. This really irritates me.
When this many people have already wished you well, it's hard to come up with something halfway original. Best of luck in whatever you do. Hopefully your talents will avail themselves to us as they have in the past, and this is just a step up for you! And if you get hungry, come on out here.
JB. I'll never understand why businesses drive off their most talented. I'm sure there are stories of why to be told by Wolfe and yourself. I hope to be reading you in the future in other publications. Give yourself a sabatical (sic?) if you can.
idahoguy101

Sorry to hear that you and Wolf parted ways, thar will be a huge change for both. Let us know where you end up. Good Luck.
Like many others, I subscribed to Wolfe Pubs because of your great articles. I enjoy your conversational style of writing, it is like hunting with you. I look forward to reading your work wherever you do land.
JB: Nothing lasts forever and I will certainly miss your articles in the publications.But since I have been reading and learning from your writings for more years now than I care to remember("What Is This Thing On My Rifle and Why Am I Looking Through It?" Grays,a classic article, no doubt), I am certain that you will be published elsewhere, and frequently.Kudos to you for the great job you did at Wolfe,and please do keep us posted on where you will be next,whether or not it involves shooting and hunting.

Regards and Good Luck!
My future wife and I really enjoyed meeting you at the SCI Convention in Reno.

Best of success! I'm sure you'll have lots of opportunities.

P.S. I'm moving to California right now wink
Cheers,
CL
Best wishes for your new endeavors.
Let us know where you'll be.
Mule Deer
To hear that Wolfe Publishing has put you in a position that you could no longer tolerate is astonishing. The Wolfe publications will be greatly diminished by your absence.
You, on the other hand, with your talent, will thrive, I am sure.

Fred
Wow. That sucks! Wolfe had the best on-the-shelf magazines going, minus all the pistol and pistol reloading articles...

So, John, what happens if I win that elk hunt in Montana? You still going? grin
Sounds like the kiss of death to Woof Publishing. Good luck wherever you go. Your readers will follow you in droves.

1flier
All the Best John and I'm sure we'll all be reading your stuff for years to come no matter who is publishing.
You have always given "something of value" in every one of your articles.
Thank You.
Well, I can't add anything new to what's been stated here, but I sure can say I'm sorry to see the parting. If you hadn't been there I would have let Claire Rees run me off a long time ago. Now all we have is Brian Pearce and that might not be enough....
Royce,

I didn't hear that? confused

Maybe he just got a better deal somewhere else; not uncommon for one of JB's abilities.

If what you heard is true, where are the Ross Seyfried haters? He got a pretty bad rap when he departed from Wolfe. An able, good writer who also knew his shinola.

We all know MD here and the credibility he has. He will do well.

Phil is a good read too, and Brian. wink
Best wishes to a good man. Successful Hunter turned into a fantastic magazine with you at the helm. Just keep us posted.
Mike
I have, with some frequency, bought a Wolfe magazine I didn't really want simply due to the fact it was a way to show my appreciation for you contributing your time and expertise here. I suspect I'm not alone in that regard. Wolfe will feel the difference in newsstand sales I'm sure.

Like many others I'll be following you to the next chapter.

All the best.
I haven't looked into any of the Wolfe pubs since 1983, so I just wonder how many of their best writers have left in the last 25 years. I inherited an excellent staff from Neal and left a still better one � progress that I understand has continued, sort of (good ones added, good ones lost).
Mr. B,

I will always be glad I read Wolfe Magazines, because I met (through your writing) you there. Although you haven't met me, many of my internet correspondents on this site would tell you you haven't missed much. I, on the other hand, have gained many hours of enjoyment reading about different hunts, handloads, and just you rambling on about some nice old chunk of walnut and steel.

Common sense, uncommon curiosity, and the willingness to write what you saw and found out, have made for many excellent articles. Keep up the good work, I'm sure you will find great success and happiness with your next adventure.

If you're ever driving through Flagstaff in a snowstorm, windstorm, or just a sh*t-storm, stop in and have a bottle of pop!

Sycamore
I would have to add to what the others above have said - your well-written, common-sense, thought-provoking, articles (with a touch of humor!) have consistently been the first ones I turn to in Wolfe magazines. They are also the ones I tend to quote to the irritation of some! smirk
I hope you can find a home that equals your ability. And thanks for all the excellent articles over the years - I'm looking forward to more of the same in the future. Rifle looneys have to stick together!
This comes as a shock to me....

I just renewed all three as well mainly because of a writer by the name of John Barsness.

As of tomorrow morning I'll be canceling my subscription.

Johnny B thanks for some good reads, better things are in store for someone of your caliber. I look forward to reading future articles from you.

I'm sure Wolfe will quickly regret letting you go no matter what the circumstances were. You are the only writer currently active who's articles I gladly read even if the subject is not specifically interesting; your writing and analysis will make it interesting and thought provoking. Hopefully your work will appear in other publications soon.
JB I will really miss you articles in those mags. I actually renewed for 2 years a few months but after those expire I probably won't renew.

You are no doubt the best in the business and look forward to following your writing.

You are that rare writer that knows guns and hunting and not just how to be a gun mag writer. You and Steve are the 2 guys that I take what you say to the bank...

Glad we have you HERE, blessed by your presence.

Good luck
Mule deer,
I'm kind of stunned you are no longer with wolfe. A bit like I was when Ross left. After a month or three, Ross's departure didn't bother me anymore as I always read your articles first. I still enjoyed the articles by Phil, Brian and John H, but you were my favorite. I never read scovill's stuff as he bores me. As most have said, let us know where you go next as I'll be sure to buy that mag. Let us also know if you have any more books coming out.Good hunting
Good friend John, I don't need to tell you what an excellent writer you are or how well you will do in the rest of your life (fabulous on both counts).

You stand alone as an outdoor writer and can quite literally write your own ticket.

Good Luck and go get 'em, my friend. The entire world is yours for the taking.

Steve

PS. What a total, complete and absolute brainfart. If I owned Wolfe, I would not allow Johnny Buffalo to leave. Johnny is the only writer they had. (Aw Hell, I forgot ... they have Clair Rees grin)

Looks like I'll not be writing for them either; not now.
JB, as I sit here pondering what I know about your ability and reputation, about Wolfe Publishing, and about the outdoor-magazine business, I have to wonder whether you just got to be worth so much more than WPC can afford. Some reasons for getting canned or having to leave are actually complimentary, in no way to be apologetic about.

But even they can be nastily unsettling. Breaking even a habit that you're eager to shed is usually a hassle. Whatever may be the background here, I hope that it leaves you standing stronger on higher, firmer ground.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I thought some people might like to know that as of this morning I am no longer working for Wolfe Publishing, either as a writer or editor. Several other magazines are interested in publishing my articles, however.

Godspeed.

BMT
It could be worse, he could be writing for Field and Stream........grin
Ken,

We both know it can be a tough industry. You have to watch your 6 at all times.

Maybe he'll join Chub at Sports Afield.

SA is a pretty good magazine these days.
I subscribe to all three of the Wolfe magazines,just to get John's stories.

Guess I won't be renewing my subscription!All that's left now is Venturio re-writing the same three articles over and over again.

Best of luck John!

WB.
I was thinking SA might be a good fit as well.

I don't subscribe to it now, but I would if MD rolled that way.
Mule Deer - like the others have said, I really look forward to both your columns and your articles and hate to see you leave Wolfe. On the other and and just pure hoping on my part; I wish Shooting Times would hire you - I am a long time subscriber and they could use you to flesh their stuff out! I am sure you will land on your feet. Odessa
Originally Posted by mjc
Wolfe publications is definitely diminished by your departure. I subscribe to the three magazines. This really irritates me.

Agreed! I have now joined the long list of ex-subscribers. Wolfe has certainly gone to the dogs! Rifle should be re-named Pistol and without John It will have no content.

Well that just stinks. Your contributions made up at least half the value of the Wolfe magazines as far as I'm concerned. Good luck on wherever this takes you and keep us posted on wherever that is.
Best wishes John. Thanks for the heads up.

John,

Like you I have a degree in Biology and English and am a hunting and rifle enthusiast. As such I feel that I am uniquely qualified to say that you are the best in the buisness and Wolfe is greatly diminished by your departure.

Like the other good people here,I gave Wolfe my money because of your work,and will follow you to where you choose to go. You are certainly still welcome to come and hunt at the lodge in Alabama should you find the time.

I remain convinced that you will be a success anywhere you hang your hat,let us know where that will be as soon as you can.

Britt
Sorry to hear that you have moved on! You were the BEST that they had going, good luck, on what ever you decide to do, I hope you keep writeing, you are one of us, not a big shot no it all, and any of us here on the fire would be more than proud to have you share a hunt with us! John
John,

Please let us know with whom you will be working in the future. I don't want to miss any of your writing. I think Wolfe has been going downhill for some time. Best of luck in your future endeavors. Thanks...Bill.
Posted By: 1B Re: No longer with Wolfe Publishing - 07/31/08
MD,

It has all been said already and quite elequently to boot. My +s won't add much but they are there.

One point I will raise which has been not too prominent so far is the value to me of the integrity in your body of work. Telling-it-like-it-is is rare in all journalism and even rarer among today's commercialized outdoor scribblers. You set a high standard and I suspect that may be one of the factors in the break with Wolfe.

Watch for Wolfe replacement articles touting new gadgets with an ad for them prominently displayed in the same issue!

Anyway best of luck,
1B
Well now, that throws a monkey wrench into my renewal! Good thing I was going to send it in late! I guess I'll just hold off now.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing John! Keep us posted as to where you end up.

Anyone have a recommendation for a replacement rag? confused
Get a membership in the NRA. I get the American Hunter here and the Rifleman. The other membership is my son's. Both are excellent magazines. The June AH with the late Charlton Heston on the cover is a keeper.

http://www.nra.org/

Wolfe reminds me of the Portland Trailblazers. Continuously trading first-round draft picks for three last-round picks, then wondering why all of the talent is elsewhere....
I've subscribed to the Wolfe magazines since I returned from SEA in 73. At that time, and for a number of years, they were the best on the market. There was a decline in editorial quality in the late '80's - early '90's that has been somewhat mitigated. The move from a subscriber-oriented to a marketing-oriented style has been subtle and well-managed, but very apparent. With Ross Seyfried and now John Barsness gone it is unlikely I will renew.
I knew it was to good to last forever, most of my favorite writers under one cover. Good luck and let us all know what subscriptions we need to buy now. How about a " Hunting with J.B." show on one of the outdoor channels? We could use a classy companion to Boddington's safari show. EP
John,

Well, I'll be sheep dipped.

See you on the Internet then...jim
Been thinking about not renewing for a few years now. This just made my mind up.
I wish I could thank each of you individually. For a long time I loved working for Wolfe but things change, as we all know.

Lucklily, I kind of saw this coming and had decided to branch out a little anyway. I'd already contacted the editors of several other magazines, including American Rifleman, Field & Stream, Guns & Ammo, Petersen's Hunting, Shooting Sportsman and Sports Afield. All showed considerable interest in having me write for them. For now I'm just going to freelance again, and may just continue doing so. Twice in my career I've put all my eggs in one company's basket, and both times the company started thinking that they owned me.

Eileen may or may not continue her game cooking column with SH. We don't know yet. But she will probably write feature articles for other markets. I don't know what is going to happen with the Montana elk hunt giveaway.

I do plan to hunt a LOT this year, starting in about 10 days with a trip to Alaska for upland bird hunting and salmon fishing with Phil Shoemaker and his family. I also have some books in the works, and will now be able to get them out a little sooner.

Thanks again to everybody, and see you around the Campfire!
I also have some books in the works, and will now be able to get them out a little sooner.

Now that's some great news!

Terry
Best of luck, John. May you obtain that which you need. Prayers sent.

I hope you continue to post regularly here at the campfire. Needless to say, after 4 pages of well-wishing posts in 12 hours, you're among friends.

Unlike some, I'm not quite ready to bail on Wolfe. Pearce is still good, and some of the other stuff. I do lament the loss of Siefried.

-
JB,

This is really bad news� I renewed the 2 mags, for 3 years, in no small part because of you.
Boy do I feel stupid�.

All that said� PLEASE let us know where you go so we can show our support with subscriptions!!
Best wishes to you, John. Your talents will enrich other publications and those left behind will be less for your leaving. It seems we never go through a change easily but always come out better in the end. Ward
Well heck.... The three main reasons I subscribed to Handloader and Rifle were for the articles by Ken Waters, Ross Seyfried, and John Barsness. Ken is retired (I really miss his articles), Ross left a while back, and no John is gone. I'm afraid there isn't much left in Handloader and Rifle to keep me subscribing.

Good luck JB! It sounds like you were prepared for this and had some plans in place. Good deal. I do hope to see some of your articles in Sports Afield. I think it's a good magazine. I've enjoyed subscribing to it.

Sincerely,
-Bob F.

@$#%!, I just sent my check in to renew......I want my money back!
BTW (and I hope Rick Bin doesn't mind me posting this), here's a blatant plug for JB and Eileen's web site. It's worth a visit. grin

http://www.riflesandrecipes.com/

Be sure to check out the Rifle Loony caps! [Linked Image]
http://www.riflesandrecipes.com/html/rifle_loony_caps.html

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.

Good luck MD! Look forward to reading more of your articles in the other magazines!
Originally Posted by temmi
JB,

This is really bad news� I renewed the 2 mags, for 3 years, in no small part because of you.
Boy do I feel stupid�.

All that said� PLEASE let us know where you go so we can show our support with subscriptions!!

I had subscription forms on my desk, waiting to be sent in.
I guess they'll wait a bit longer.
ABP - anything but Petersens!!! Any of them. Home of the 400 word feature article. smile

Just kidding - sort of.
I think it's time that a man of John's class, attention to detail, investigative abilities and all around writing talent managed his OWN rifle magazine.

I can't imagine a better man to call the shots.

If they want to offer subscriptions - I'll start by writing a cheque for a decade or so - to get started.

Wish you the best John in whatever choices you make, I hope you'll continue to share your writing and expertise with us here around the 'fire.
man, I'm just finding this. That's really too bad for them JB -- and I'm glad to hear it before renewing my rx for all three.

Will look forward to the books and the future articles wherever they may be (I'm really hoping SA - it's a pretty decent mag these days and I agree it'd be a good fit).

Wish you the best!!!

Matt
John,
I have been afraid that this was going to happen. The only reason I subscribed to the Wolfe mags was because they had the two best wordsmiths in the business with you and Ross Seyfried. When Seyfried left I continued to subscribe to get your articles. I am not going to keep subscribing to read articles that are basically a 500 word advertisement for some "new" product....sigh...
Best of luck to you and your family in the new ventures!

Johnny $
I'm sure we'll see your work in short order somewhere else. I hope at least some of it shows up in Shooting Sportsman--I already get that one. SA is on the list to pick up and consider when I'm at the newsstand.

If you stay freelance for long you're going to cost us a lot of money buying at newsstad prices and time--reviewing all those Tables of Contents. Seriously, best wishes for finding the right opportunity and for finding a "seller's market" as a freelancer.
Yup, the only reasons to subscribe to Wolfe magazines were Ken Waters and John Barsness. Phil Shoemaker is good, but he is not enough to hold up the magazine alone. Seyfried never impressed me, mostly because he was always personally arrogant.

Now Ken and John are gone.

I've subscribed to Handloader since Issue Number One. I've subscribed to Rifle since Issue Number One. And I've subscribed to Successful Hunter since Issue Number One.

On my honour, I will NOT resubscribe to any Wolfe magazine. It is just a waste of money. What's the point??????

Steve
I cannot believe how stupid Wolfe is. John is in a class by himself. I have no intention of ever renewing any Wolfe publications, and I wish I had not done so three months ago.
I think Wolfe Publishing ate their own gonads on this deal.
Fred
Dogzapper said:

"On my honour, I will NOT resubscribe to any Wolfe magazine. It is just a waste of money. What's the point??????"

I mostly agree and will bide my time.

John, I look forward to any incarnation you might return in. Good Luck!

Art
I actually got my Rifle yesterday with the renewal form on the outside. I called the number on it today just to see what their reaction would be to informing them of my intention.

I got a long trailing "Ohhhhhh, I see...."

I'm betting that happens a lot in the next subscription cycle....

M.D.

Happy hunting,and keep us posted,esp. on the new books.

Best Wishes,
Ron
Heck Wolfe is on a quest to kill/run off the most core portion of their readership with dumb*** moves like this. What they should have done was get rid of Scovill and put John Barsness in charge of the whole show. I just got my renewal notice for Rifle and Handloader last week. I was planning to renew both and add Succesful Hunter directly due to John's involvement there.

I guess I'm going to see what comes in the next couple of issues (since I already had them paid for) but I doubt I will be renewing anything.

Heck John should start an e-magazine from his existing website and let folks pay/subscribe to that for his articles. I'd sign up right now!!!!

John, please keep us posted on where we can find your future work!!!!

Mark in GA
My friend John, more the gentleman than I am, probably won't ever reveal why he left Wolfe � so I'll offer some insight from my time there.

Shortly after I took-over Handloader and Rifle from Neal (1978), one of my writers died and I had to drop another fellow from the masthead. Then I added, IIRC, six better ones � none of whom is still there, I betcha. I like the analogy (above) of the pro football team's way of handling top and mediocre talent.

We didn't pay much (couldn't), and I had to struggle mightily and constantly to get my writers' rates raised. Finally got a schedule of steps approved � small increases spread-out over a year or two to eventually, as I told my writers, hoist their rates from criminal to merely insulting. The last increase was to go into effect soon after I left (1983). It didn't.

While I was Editor, staff writers' articles got published right away. After I left, one of my better writers told me that several of his articles had piled-up there but were still unpublished. Since WPC always paid on publication rather than on acceptance, that meant that he wasn't getting paid for any of those articles. Worse, my successor wouldn't return his manuscripts or answer his repeated requests for their return (not a good way to handle a good, loyal writer).

That writer was staying-on solely for the prestige of having his name on the Handloader and Rifle mastheads.

What I've seen of my successors' way of handling their readers and writers doesn't fill me with confidence that things have gotten much better there since 1983.
Well, that's unpleasant news. Running off their only truly candid feature writer was a bad decision. What now, more exciting features from Venturino and stimulating photography by his wife? Oh, I can see it now, investigate reports by Claire Rees. Fools.
Doh. That trip gimmick worked on me. Hell, I was planning the trip already. Guess I'll just show up at your place this season like everyone else.

You've got my support no matter where you rest your hat.

By the way, that July gunsmith article was hilarious. Painfully funny, but still a great read. Loved it.

I to am sorry to hear this news, I have enjoyed JB's writing and looked for them first in each new issue.

Your recent 338 Federal and 358 Winchester article was excellent! Thanks for sharing your knownledge with us!

Good Luck!
John-

That sucks - for us. Hopefully it's what you want and I'm certain it will work out for the best for you.

Looking forward to your writings in other publications.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Been thinking about not renewing for a few years now. This just made my mind up.

MD,

The above are my thoughts exactly! I have subscribed to HANDLOADER and RIFLE since their inceptions and have every copy of both, but for some time your articles are the only thing that has motivated me to keep my subscriptions current. There have been several issues of both over the last few years in which the only articles I read were yours. This being the case, it is hard for me to think of a reason to now keep subscribing to either.

I will look forward to reading what you write wherever it is published! Please keep up your good work somewhere!

M. Bell

John:

I'm very, very sorry to hear this. I just sent a check to renew to all three magazines for another year, and if you had just told us this a couple of weeks ago, I could have saved myself the money. smile

It wasn't just the quality of your work that led me to buy the Polacek Publishing Corporation (Wolfe) magazines, but I think you set a standard of excellence that - at least unconsciously - must have been an influence upon the others who worked and contributed there. (And, yeah, Phil Shoemaker doesn't write often enough to keep the quality up without you.) I doubt if I'll renew again.

I look forward to reading your future work elsewhere.

- Tom
Best to JB not that he needs it. Gotta chuckle at all the mention of dropping subscriptions though.
frown John, lots of the Campfire crew have enjoyed following the tracks you have made. You have entertained us along the way and taught us a bunch as we followed. We will be looking forward to picking up your trail again soon. Please leave plenty of tracks and scent so we won't have to spend a lot of time on a cold trail. Thanks! smile

RLD
I left Wolfe some years ago. I began writing for them after Ken left, weathered the disaster of TG, wrote for Al (both times) and then for Dave for awhile. What finally convinced me to leave was the addition of "big name" writers who were published immediately upon receipt of their manuscripts - while the rest of us suddenly had to wait up to TWO YEARS to be published after submission.

That was probably a good move for the magazine as they transitioned from a small-circulation "hobby magazine" towards becoming a mainstream "slick". But it was the end for me, and I moved on. I seldom read Wolfe magazines anymore, it is easier to find other, longer-established slicks in my local magazine racks which cover the same material in the same way.

I just renewed all three not very long ago, and I won't be calling right away for a prorated refund. But, and it's been this way for a while, the first thing I do (did frown ) when one comes in is find what John B has written and check it out first.

mathman
John,
I wish you the best of luck. I really enjoy your work. Finn Agaard, Ross Seyfried and you really made me look forward to each new issue. My Rifle subscription has just been renewed for one year. It is a birthday present so I will not be cancelling it. I still enjoy Phil's and John H's articles but the magazines will not be the same. I can't wait see who you will be writing for. If you will free lance let us know what articles are being published where and when.
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I'm glad I didn't send in my renewal yet.

That's what I was thinking.....
JB- A heartfelt thanks for all the good reads, & all I have learned along the way. You were the reason that I bought the magazines, & you are the reason that I will no longer do so.

I have thought of you as a kindred spirit from your first mention of Norwegian blood, & an inability to associate the little 6.5X55 with Swedish development. I thought that I was unique in this regard.

I am a big fan of the .358 Win., & your current article hit the mark perfectly. I imagine that the boys in Miles City are moving a lot of TAC these days.

Again thank you, & please keep us posted as to your future written work.
Best of luck MD. I always looked forward to your articles, especially that last page. You always managed to condense a lot of wisdom into a few words. Will certainly miss the common sense in your articles. Sad to say I just reupped to.
Originally Posted by BFaucett
BTW (and I hope Rick Bin doesn't mind me posting this), here's a blatant plug for JB and Eileen's web site. It's worth a visit. grin

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.

That cost me $65!!! grin
Well,damn......maybe you and Brian can start something on your own....E-net,paper,whatever..I'll buy.I think our remorse will be the waiting time for you to crank it back up somewhere.This is in your blood and you must take care of yourself.I left a family business 35 years ago and have never looked back...
JB--

I saw your post earlier, and decided to ponder what to say. In the meantime, about 10 pages spring up.

But it seems to me that a magazine is merely the vessel, or even the wrapping paper, for the ideas contained within it. The ideas were what really matter. And your ideas and writing are always first-rate and clear.

There will be other vessels for your ideas.
How come so many admire John, but so few emulate him.

rhetorical question. Or idle thought. Take your pick. smile
JB,

So sorry to hear that. You know I just subscribed to all three publications just to read your stuff! As I've said in our personal communications I have a great deal of respect for you. No doubt there are many others as well.

Best of luck to you; as much of a cliche as it is, and as hollow as it may sound if this was not expected, it truly was Wolfe's loss.

I look forward to seeing your stuff in other publications!

Grace & Peace,

EFWakeman

PS- I'll probably win the elk hunt now that it won't be with you... I really was looking forward to the opportunity to talk with you one-on-one!
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
How come so many admire John, but so few emulate him.

rhetorical question. Or idle thought. Take your pick. smile

Interesting, if rhetorical, question...though I'd be interested in further elucidation of exactly what you mean.

I suspect one of the reasons so many people admire John is that he reflects common experiences of actual hunters and shooters, more than perhaps what the advertisers and marketeers would have us chasing after -- including continually purchasing their products to achieve an ephemerally chimeric relationship with their spokespersons.

Put another way, in my view emulating John is a lot like emulating ourselves...because our joys and our foibles and our common experiences are what he presents in print so well.

Having said all that -- I agree with everyone who has stated that the greater loss is on Wolfe Publishing's part. JB is a talented and compelling author whose work will find homes without end.

Best to you, John...we'll perhaps now be able to look forward to more varied and encompassing work from you.

Dennis
Originally Posted by gperry
That is awful news. However, for whatever reason, it's their loss. You're simply the best in the business, and you'll have a loyal following wherever you write. I'll subscribe just to read your work, even if it's Reader's Digest, and I'm sure there will be a gazillion other loonies that will join me.

Greg Perry

Big +1!!

I look forward to reading much more of your writing in other publications, Mr. Barsness!
+1 more, keep us informed as to where to find your articles if you freelance for long, I don't mind buying an occasional F&S or OL.

Best wishes, John.
JB wa disappointed to hear of your leaving Wolfe for what ever reason. I wish you luck were ever the tracks lead. Knowing that
you will always land on your feet. I a wait the next issue in
your life journey.
To all the other that mentioned just renewing remember you
can cancel and ask for your money back. Cheers NC
John, thanks for the update. You are the only reason (ok, maybe phil too) I read those magazines. Will look for your work elsewhere. All the best!!!
I made the move to Sports Afield a while ago. I would love to see Mule Deer writing for them.

+1

this is bad news. It means he'll probably show up writing for FMG and blow some of us lesser morals right off the map.
That is good news and bad news!
Good news is that I would probably save money if I never read any of JB's stuff again. Since I started reading his works I have purchased a 257, a 6.5x55, etc., etc. Bought his book on optics and have replaced almost all of the old Simmons with Leupolds. I could go on.
Bad news is he is the reason I thought the Wolf rags were the best. I haven't renewed yet so I'll wait and see where Mr. Barsness ends up.
One suggestion; Write for a monthly so we don't have to wait so long!
Best of luck to the best!
Sorry to see you go, JB.

I'm SO glad I decided not to renew when Ross left a few years back.

Let's see, if they replaced Seyfried with "Freebore" Venturino, who will they replace JB with?
Zumbo?

SOS
There are those who honestly believe that anyone with lesser morals should be blown off the map. grin
No matter where you go John, I will find you as many others here will too!! Nothing but best wishes for you!
Thanks for the link to the website. When I Yahooed 'John Barsness' I got a lot of arts and entertainment in Montana and paragliding in Idaho and an Ercoupe and such. Sort of 'Will the real John Barsness stand up'.
Did someone also imply Brian Pearce (sp?) left?
John,

Who ever picks you up will be lucky! You are the reason I read all 3. Wish you happy hunting in your new ventures.

ddj
No,I suggested he and JB start a gun rag on their own.Pick and choose their 'advertizers' based on good products and write about what they know and what they want to say....

JB

I hate to hear this as I enjoyed your writing very much. I look forward to hearing where you future articles are published.

Best wishes.
JB, Wolfe publications surely won't be the same without you around.

With your talent, I'm sure your new "job" will be better than the last and whoever you choose to write for, if you do, is lucky. Good luck with the new endeavor.
Thanks again, to all.

There are a couple of articles still in the pipeline at Rifle and Handloader, so the next issues (the Rifle should be showing up about now, and Handloader next month) will still have my name in them. Wolfe is also publishing an extra "special issue" of each magazine this year, and they also have both a feature and a back page.
Does this mean you get to post more here? grin
Mr. Mule Deer;
I would like to add my message of support and best wishes in whatever venue you pursue.

As I�ve said before, I felt that in particular the direction you were taking Successful Hunter was much needed in the industry. Thank you again for that.

I look forward to reading your work wherever it will be appearing and will certainly be supporting those publications as long as I can find them up here.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Regards,
Dwayne
Sorry to hear it John, you're the reason I subscribed to all three of the Wolfe pubs after hanging around here, we'll have to see how they trend and decide if I renew.

Thanks for the great articles Mr. Barsness. I look forward to more. Please let us know here when and where they are coming from.

I don't subscribe to Handloader, Rifle, or Hunter. I pick and choose the one's I buy as they come out. I generally get insight on the interesting articles from this website...then I pick up the mag. I generally enjoy most of the articles in the mags, but I haven't found an article by Mr. Barsness that I haven't loved. It also seems that the articles most recommended by the readers here are by Mr. Barsness.

I was about to subscribe to all three mags....to get 3 entries in the drawing. I have a .358 Winchester that I wanted to hunt with on the elk hunt to compare to Mr. Barsness' .338 Federal. Oh well....
Mr. Mule Deer- I have always enjoyed your writings wherever they show up; please keep this forum in the know about where your articles will be! I particularly admire your book on Shotguns for Wingshooting, and consider it the best modern reference on the subject as well as a great read. Best wishes
I'm one of the lucky ones. Just happened to notice this thread with my renewal sitting on my desk for month-end processing. Just went in the round file. This was my very last gun rag subscription. And then there were none!!

Mule Deer was the last reason I still subscribed to one.
Wow, get home from work and find half the net taken up. Sorry to hear this JB. I quit taking any magazines several years ago, but had been thinking of taking on the wolfe mags for your articles. Guess not, let us all know where to find your work in the future and don't stray from the fire!
Bobski - I am one of those who just sent in my renewals, but I am feeling a lot like you are. I have always looked at the Wolfe's as something special that bring me something that no other magazines in the field provide. Given the talent that has left over the past few years, I am having doubts as to whether or not I will continue. I guess I will let this year's subscriptions continue and see what lies ahead, but I will really need to see something to convince me that those at Wolfe want to maintain their place in the market. I get the feeling that they see themselves as more or less bullet-proof in that there is not a lot of direct competition out there and as a result of that they have developed the belief that their readership numbers will continue to grow no matter how much they degrade the quality of the product. Unfortunately, with little else to choose from, I fear they may have figured their position accurately - they can cheapen the product, but still profit. They win, we lose.
I am saddened by this news. I read each issue of Handloader and Rifle magazine from cover to cover and especially enjoy the articles by JB. They just won't be the same...

Which ever magazine you sign on with will be better for it and I'll buy that publication.
John, wherever you decide to light, look over your shoulder. We'll be behind you reading your work as fast as it's printed. wink Dave
MD I`m stunned!
I`ve long been a fan and don`t look foreward to my Rifle or Handloader without a piece or two by you every month. I`ll be in withdrawl before Christmas and needing a fix bad.
Maybe Rick could put up a sticky for a few months `til you`re settled, letting us know where to look for one of your articals.
Kind of a "Where`s John"........ whistle
Wolfe's loss. They will regret it. Looking forward to reading more from Mr. Barsness, regardless of where it is published.
Sorry to read about your sudden departure from Wolfe. There must have been some major issues. As the owner of 2 small businesses I know what it is to not have an immediate income. With your talent I am sure the right opportunity has or will come along. Best of everything to you & your family.
John,
You'll feel better after this settles down and you have control of your "direction". In the long run, this will be the best thing to happen for you!
Looks like I have to call AZ tomorrow for my "stimulus package".
I just re-subscribed to Handloader and Rifle (for 2 years no less) based on JB's articles. I've subscribed to these two publications since their inception and have all issues. Ken Waters articles kept me re-subscribing originally, followed by JB.

Let us know what you'll be doing next, I'll follow.

Also, does this mean that you'll not be taking me on Wolf's guided elk hunt (Dome Outfittters) when I win?
I have absolutely no knowledge of why JB is separated from Wolfe but I'll give some insight based on what has happened to me in previous jobs.

1. Personality conflict - if you don't get along (go along?) with the boss, you are history.

2. The economy - Subscriptions and ad revenues may be falling. Wolfe may be trying to stay in business as costs rise and subscriptions are falling.

3. Wolfe's publications have (relatively) small circulation and a specialized readership - they just may have to control costs.

Anyway, we all hope JB land on his feet soon and things go well - AND I am sure that many of us will follow him and his excellent writing.
Dear Wolfe Publishing,
I thought I'd take a minute to inform you that I won't be subscribing to your three magazines as I have in the past due to Mr. Barsness departure from your masthead. Wolfe publishing has lost a great writer, one who identifies with his loyal readers, and most of those will, I believe, continue to spend their money on his outstanding writing wherever it is found.
Sincerely,
Mike XXXXX
Oregon
Sent to: [email protected]

Couldn't help myself, no matter the reason, the end result is what it is.
"There are those who honestly believe that anyone with lesser morals should be blown off the map."

Well I meant Lesser Mortals Maybe Lesser Speller would be closer.
I've always said "if JB is mixing the kool-aid, I'm drinking it ... assuming he's using Eileen's recipes ..."

Neither one has done me near wrong, nor do I expect they will ever.

John, here's two fingers to you as you give another one to them ...

GE

P.S. That was NOT kool-aid
Perhaps Wolfe will find a residual market among new shooters who are wowed by excellent photography of heavy varmint rifles which the author cannot hold into 1MOA, or field tests on rodents conducted on days too windy to hit anything.

If the principle of "The chain is only as strong as the weakest link" applies to gun mags, losing some ballast must be a freeing experience for 'ole Mule Deer. wink
Well dang! This isn't good news since you were the best reason for subscribing to the Wolfe mags. Good luck to you and your family and do keep your web site up with where and what you're doing next. Thanks for your past work and keep it coming.

Regards
Gordon
I'm stunned here, as well.

This ranks up there with ol' Leo leaving Fender Musical Instruments back in the mid-'60s.

As for future venues, I've always felt that "Sporting Classics" would be a great place for MD to peddle his wares. Classy magazine for a classy writer (not to mention his better half).

Scott
Mr. Barsness:

Your separation from Wolfe Publishing is not welcome news. But I look forward to your future work and its availability from another publisher, whether in a periodical or in another medium.

Thank you for your past work.

As soon as you can, please inform us, the notorious Campfire Gang, when and where we may continue to purchase your future work!
I just hope he doesn't show up on McMillan River Adventures. ;grin:
No, not that McMillan.
Not that one, either. I give up.
Wouldn't an outdoors program, featuring John & Eileen and friends, be an outstanding addition to the Outdoor Channel and similar networks? An intelligent & literate blend of all that makes up the wonderful world of sport shooting, reloading, hunting, fishing, and cooking. I'd watch it.

I for one would enjoy seeing your words in something like Northwest Flyfishing magazine as well as the hunting/shooting related periodicals.

Good luck John, and know how much your loyal readers respect the quality of your writing and the wisdom of your insights in the things you write about.

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.

Rick Bin is just seeing this and he doesn't mind one BIT!

John, I answered a PM re: some of this a few minutes ago before I saw your post. What I said there now goes double.
What??????????

I'm coming to this late and am a bit taken aback. The main reason I suscribe to the Wolfe pubs is for Johhny B articles. In fact my new Rifle just came yesterday, turned straight to the end and read about sentiment and hunting rifles/bullets. Followed that with the shot placement article. I was thoroughly unimpressed with much else in this months issue..............

John, you are a great talent and a voice for common sense, reason and intelligent discourse on all things hunting related. I've learned much from you and will continue to read your articles. I read alot on several different subjects. I always find something to learn from most anything - even how not to do something or clarify my own views with an antithetical viewpoint. You have a rare talent - clear articulation, complimented by broad and deep empirical experience - a rare commodity in today's gun rags. You'll do well wherever you land or decide to do - good, talented people always do. Keep us informed of your future endeavors. Good luck and godspeed to you.

-- BW
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.

That cost me $65!!! grin

Same here, anyone who can should buy a book. Even if you have them all already give it to a friend. Let's start MD's new journey off right. EP
Like the rest of the posters here, I am certainly sorry to see JB leave Wolfe Publishing. It was darn nice to be able to read his writings concentrated in three publications. No doubt, if he chooses to freelance there will be more publications for us to look at in order to continue enjoying his writings. There is no doubt JB will be as successful with the freelancing as he has been with Wolfe. He writes from the vast knowledge and experiences garnered from years in the field and sadly that is missing with many writers today. He has researched his subject before writing and that is also missing with many writers today. When my renewal notices arrive from Wolfe, I plan to send them back with the following message- "No John Barsness= no subscription money."
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Yup, the only reasons to subscribe to Wolfe magazines were Ken Waters and John Barsness. Phil Shoemaker is good, but he is not enough to hold up the magazine alone.
Steve

I believe you overlooked Gil Sengel who, while unrecognized, has a unique ability to describe difficult tasks clearly. Sengels articles are wide ranging, interesting, and far too few. His articles on farm guns and the .38 S&W cartridge illustrate a well rounded love of guns and shooting.
To be truthful I enjoy Dave Scovills column too.

Scovill? Surely you jest
There's not much else to say that hasn't already been said, but I share the dissapointment expressed by others on this site. I look forward to your future work in other places (second the notion for Sports Afield). Wolfe Publishing blew it big time....

Best of luck.
Dang, just saw this! Whatever you do, my best wishes go to you.

I told my wife several years ago after she had lost her job that she shouldn't view it as a negative thing, but instead think of it as an opportunity. Losing that job turned out to be a great thing 'cause she found a better one within 2 weeks.

Hope this turns out to be a great opportunity for you too.
I always look forward to your writing so will look for it wherever it comes up.

Good Luck and Best Wishes!

Wolf publishing has been on the decline for sometime now IMHO. The loss of Seyfried was huge IMHO and now this. They aren't worth the purchase price at this point.
Originally Posted by AZJR
Wouldn't an outdoors program, featuring John & Eileen and friends, be an outstanding addition to the Outdoor Channel and similar networks? An intelligent & literate blend of all that makes up the wonderful world of sport shooting, reloading, hunting, fishing, and cooking. I'd watch it.

I for one would enjoy seeing your words in something like Northwest Flyfishing magazine as well as the hunting/shooting related periodicals.

Good luck John, and know how much your loyal readers respect the quality of your writing and the wisdom of your insights in the things you write about.

I don't know about an addition, but it might be a great improved substitute.
Thanks again to everybody--especially for the orders on our website. We just spent an hour packaging books, DVD's and baseball caps!
I think we something of tempest-in-a-teapot here. No one was arrested. No one is bleeding. People leave jobs all the time. John Barness and Wolfe will both continue, albeit in different directions. Best wishes John.

As an aside, I was a little put off by the sheer number of posters whose seemingly first or only concern was their recent subscription renewal.
I interpreted the subscription renewal concern as a show of support for John, as in he was a significant reason people enjoyed the magazines.
Originally Posted by Youper
I think we something of tempest-in-a-teapot here. No one was arrested. No one is bleeding. People leave jobs all the time. John Barness and Wolfe will both continue, albeit in different directions. Best wishes John.

As an aside, I was a little put off by the sheer number of posters whose seemingly first or only concern was their recent subscription renewal.

Why?

Well, Youper, I'm at the point in life that I have to support what I believe, be that financially, physically or in spirit. Looks like a lot of others are there too.
And of course JB will succeed, he's talented, and Wolfe won't fold either but the parting of ways is lamented because it was such a good combination.
CC

Another vote for Northwest Fly Fishing!
BTW what is considered a proper Salmon rifle?
CC
Originally Posted by Youper

My wife and I used to eat at a Mexican/Italian restaurant in town because they had great, hand-made-in-their-kitchen tamales. They quit making tamales; we quit eating in the restaurant. I don't "hate" them; I'm not even mad at them. I don't patronize their business because they quit providing what I was paying for. Had I paid for a year's worth of tamale meals in advance when they quit making them...I would have been slightly annoyed.

John is not the only writer published by Wolfe whose work I enjoy...but I honestly feel he was the strength of the stable. They will have a tough time finding someone with his range of skills.

John -- I second the TV show notion, for two reasons. I've been watching Advanced Handloading , and you have a very good on-camera persona. Secondly, there are only about three shows of the hook-and-bullet genre worth watching -- Boddington's being one of them, because he too has BTDT.

Dennis
Dennis,

I've investigated the TV thing, and even had a few offers. For the most part it just isn't worth the time, oddly enough. Most of think, "Wow! TV! LOts of money and fame!" But in the outdoor TV industry it just work that way. In fact these days some shooting industry companies are even backing out of TV because they just didn't find it worth it. The few that do are apparently the bigger companies who can produce their own shows and essentially present a half-hour commercial.
DVD and webcasting would probably play better to the niche market of Rifle and Handloader readers; a thousand downloads at 5 bucks a pop would go a ways toward covering production of a half- hour hunting program.
Dennis,

I've investigated the TV thing, and even had a few offers. For the most part it just isn't worth the time, oddly enough. Most of think, "Wow! TV! LOts of money and fame!" But in the outdoor TV industry it just work that way. In fact these days some shooting industry companies are even backing out of TV because they just didn't find it worth it. The few that do are apparently the bigger companies who can produce their own shows and essentially present a half-hour commercial.

John, I am not enamored with outdoor television shows. There is too much trying to fit a time slot which results in lots of "action" and very little real teaching. I would much rather see you spend your time producing the written word which allows for development of the topic as well as provides a lasting reference. As always, best, John
John -- That doesn't surprise me. Most of the shows, even the good ones, are advertainment, not journalism. A television version of Gray's Sporting Journal would be pretty cool, though. I like Ken Barret and TRCA's Life in the Open the best, partly because I know and like Ken, and partly because I really like his approach to hunting, and to televising hunting.

Dennis
John is 90% of the reason I bought any Wolfe publications. I'm sorry to see the separation.

I won't buy much now. I don't hate Wolfe, I just lost 90% of the reason I bought their stuff.
I just don't care for gun magazines anymore. Everything�s geared too much toward what�s new, to capture that advertising dollar. I�m much more interested in what�s best, which is rarely what�s new. I also have a real weakness for classic or vintage firearms of all shapes and sizes, and there�s very little in the way of periodicals that can scratch that itch. Ken Waters & Ross Seyfried really covered the classic guns category and to a lesser degree do did John. I�ve always thought JB�s niche was the more technical articles on what makes guns tick; but I�d never want to paint him into a corner.

These days, I don�t subscribe to any gun magazine unless an editor comp�s me a subscription because I�m writing for him; and anymore, I�m just not writing much for magazines.

I�m much happier reading good gun related books. I�ll leave the magazines for those who are into the latest and greatest. JB will do well regardless of where he goes. His books are first rate; actually under-rated if you ask me. I think every major gun book publisher should have the full line of JB�s books because they�re often better than the other stuff they�re carrying.
Originally Posted by CoastieChief

Another vote for Northwest Fly Fishing!
BTW what is considered a proper Salmon rifle?
CC

Savage 110....barrel only. smile
Mule Deer,

Good luck and good and many more hunting (including Patagonia...)

PH
Wolfe must be nuts. JB was writing sometimes three articles per magazine and I am sure he was involved in much of the editorial duties of editing manuscripts and pictures.

Where ever you go I will follow.

I am a weatherby nut and many know this.

I think that it is time for either cz or Weatherby to come up with its own magazine. You have enough connections with the good writers that you could really kick some A55.

Imagine.
JB- Editor in Chief- in charge of Optics, rifles and shooting.
John Wooters- Whitetail hunting and small bore predator hunting.
Bryce Towlsey- Hunter education and Black Powder.
Bob Robb- Alaska, Bowhunting and hunting the Pacific Coast.
Ken Howell- Gunsmithing
Brian Pearce- Pistol Shooting and the Cowboy Way.

Right there you have skillz to nuke the billz and a huge number of loyal subscribers and readers at your call.

Wolfe better come back,

Begging, hat in hand, pleading with bribes of an English Double Rifle, another paid Safari, A Desert Sheep hunt and an RV for Eileen.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Sengel and Petty (sometimes) will be Wolfe's only socially redeeming vertues.

Well John, sorry to see you leave Wolfe, but I'm glad to hear your going to be an independent cuss again wink --hope to continue reading your writing...........

Casey
Dennis,

Speaking of TV shows, there's not much worth watching these days. I like Tracks Across Africa and maybe one or two more, but that's about it. I hate these shows that intersperse hunting scenes with heavy metal music. That just ruins things for me. Just show me the damn hunting the way it really happens with the actual sounds of the hunt. American Sportsman was the best outdoor show ever IMHO (although it was mainly about fishing). Too bad we don't have one of that caliber on the air today. Course there'll never be another Curt Gowdy, so it ain't likely to happen.

After buying Handloader off the shelf for quite a while, I subscribed to it about six months ago. The main reason I did was because with JB's articles, I felt I was GETTING MY MONEY'S WORTH! Many of the articles I read in gun rags seem so short on detail that they read more like a summary. No so with John's stuff. I get LOTS of detail and background, which is what a gun freak like myself thrives on. I'll be watching for JB articles in the future, wherever the outlet.
"Oh yeah, did I mention that I detest Dave Scovils writing."

You ain't the only one.
paul B.
Sorry to hear you're leaving Wolfe. I really liked your writing style. I hope the best for you in the future.
Originally Posted by muledeer
A television version of Gray's Sporting Journal would be pretty cool, though.
Dennis

It is when I catch it

http://grayssportingjournal.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=62&Itemid=69
Best wishes,although I know you don't need them as you will be in great demand else where....
Well, there's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. When my magazines came in, like a little kid (I'm 70 years old) I always saved John's writings for the last and most of the time I'd read it two or three times to make sure I didn't miss anything.
John, where ever you end up, all the best to you. There afren't many really good gun writers left, and where ever you end up, that's where I'll head.
Paul B.
Krikey. That sucks for all of us.

Please let us know where you end up, how else are we gonna get a monthly dose of MD?
I got my "Rifle" today and immediately looked for JB's articles. God, I'm going to miss them in the future. I wonder what's going on in Wolfe's offices now; do they realize the anger many of us feel? Do they care? Nah, they are not smart enough.
John,

Sorry to hear that. Hope things work out for you.

Leo
sorry to hear yah leave.....kinda glad i never got around to subscribing, just picking them up on the newsstands.....will keep grabbing ones that interest me....i do like the Phil S., Brian P. and even Mike V. writing on occasion......wouldnt mind seeing your work in Sports Afield, that rag has really put out some good stuff the last few years....have fun in your new endeavors....
JB,
I have held off long enough, I must say that I am saddened that you are leaving Wolfe publishing, but, I also look forward to reading your work where ever that might be in the future!
Best of Luck John, I doubt you'll need it.

Luck is where preperation meets oppertunity -

Took me a day of reflection to gather my thoughts and send Wolfe and email they might actually read. Still ended the email "this stinks"

Mike aka Spot
Well, doot it all anyway.

First time I've checked in a coupla years, and this is happening. The outdoor writing world is gonna slide backward, ya can bet!!!! sick

From now on, 7X57's won't kill nothin', .257 Roberts'll only kill anemic groundhogs, I'll hafta mount super-expensive Martian 12X96 optics with crosshairs yanked off'n a snow leopard's ass on my new GunMagazine.396 Super-Dooper, and comparative recoil will become totally disassociated from any verifiable physics.

I know this, because John Barsness wrote well on these subjects, in a pair of magazines, which I've been reading since the US Army cut me loose around 1972. I still have Carmichael's slender little volume, Just Jim, and remember well, his story about the first organizational meeting Rifle Mag held. It was a pantheon of the best.

And John, since I made his acquaintance in the Wolfe Pub's, has shown as good a chops, style and creds as anyone who ever wrote there. I mentally have sorta thot of him as a different technical version of the very knowledgeable Jim Carmichael. They share a common interest in real, live facts, and can write about them just dandy.

I rilly can't add much to all the foregoing messages, save that among the listed virtues, it has always seem'd to me that John is pretty fine human being, and is lucky in having a crackerjack partner. Will send their new website far and wide, as the best thank you I can give to one of the top notch contemporary gun scribes.

Happy Powder Smoke, and lots of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS, to the general posters here, FWIW at large; my opinion, and nuthin else.

I do miss Seyfried. Whatever his reported face to face personality and the circumstances of his departing wuz, he still is unique. He reports on and does stuff no body else has touched.

And, I've kinda come to like Large Mike, for an apparent work ethic and attempting to do as good a job as can. His BP advice is knowledgeable. And while his 'everyman' "shoot this and report what happens" articles DO rehash ground other vintage writers did long ago, they may educate some of the newer kids, who didn't grow up reading the 1960's magazines chockablock fulla MIL-surp tests, conversions, adverts, wacky SouCal gunwriters and the rest.

All good, and peace thru superior firepower. Out.
Best of luck on your next endeavors. A writer of your skill will be missed by them.
Sorry to hear that Mr. B, I really enjoy reading your scribes. Like what has been said previously, its their loss.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

...& have sideburns like Elvis. GAG !!!
I quit reading all the other gunrags because I am a hunter/shooter and not too interested in getting ready to shoot my neighbor or learn the latest about packing heat. I don't have much interest in the AR's although its ok if that is what makes someone's life interesting. If I wanted to play soldier I would enlist in our armed forces. However the Wolfe products still talked about something I was interested in and I was able to learn from the content. The remaining writers, other than "458" just rehashed old garbage. I will probably cancel rather than let my subscriptions run out. Re:Scovil (sp) I thought an editors job was to edit the publication's content. Poor Brian Pierce has knowledge but needs help with basic grammar and composition. It is painfull to read his writing. Too bad the "editor" can't help him out. I expect future content to be truly terrible.
I'll miss a writer who extols eloquence and praise upon Classics with his certain Class. frown

We've lost our sense of the classic in this sorry world, it seems. smirk
Well JB, since you're unemployed. Do the right thing.

Go fishing laugh

Best of luck to you, I like many others will read your articles, who ever you wind up writing for.
JB: That's good news IMO. When I consider the volume of articles you have written and their superb content and quality, I wonder how long one can run on that treadmill before collapsing, either physically or mentally, a burned out carcass. Freed from those bonds it would seem to be a blessing that will enable you to redirect your talents in newfound ways, whether it be for monetary gain or personal development. Hopefully both.

Too, that's bad news for those of us that cherish your experienced words and opinions and knew we could find them at WP. But, the revolving door has let new talent in as well as seeing great talent depart and I wish them well in their quest to find a dozen or so writers that can fill the vacuum created by your departure. What a challenge!
John,
We, in our house, will sure miss you at Wolfe. We look forward to your future work. I just sent you a letter, as editor of Successful Hunter, a couple of days ago. Will you still receive it? It was a thought about nostalgia and hunting, also enclosed a couple of pictures of my daughter and her first kill, an Arizona jackrabbit. We sincerely wish you the best.
From Southeastern Arizona.
Originally Posted by PJGunner
"Oh yeah, did I mention that I detest Dave Scovils writing."
You ain't the only one.
paul B.

I have had the pleasure of working with a variety of individuals who have been described as irascible and filled with perspicacity � you know; cigar chewing, whiskey drinking, beef eating curmudgeons. Men who could get the job done are not always easy to work around and they are sometimes more difficult to like. If you consider your relationship as a business venture you will learn and the scars will make for an interesting story.
I believe I read my first article by Dave Scovill in the 1970�s. The article compared neck sizing to full length sizing and I was impressed his writing style. Dave writes about things that interest me and I wish he had time for a few more feature articles. Hunting called coyotes with the .25-35 is an article I would like to see.
I enjoyed working for Dave and learned a lot from him. He has a very broad AND deep knowledge of rifles and handgunns. While he is certainly a character, he is the one person who, more than any other, made RIFLE and HANDLOADER inot major shooting magazines. I sold my first article to him in 1991, and we had many interesting talks and debates about others over the next 17 years. I'll miss working for him, and indeed all of the office staff.

But life goes on, and now I am going to go catch a fish--this week in Montana, and next week in Alaska with Phil Shoemaker.
Dave's a good guy, I enjoy his writing.

Hope that 6.5-06 article comes through.

John, I hope you enjoy your hunting and fishing you've missed out on. Maybe you'll get to hunt the "last day" you wrote about in SH. cool
JB, your recent article "Sentiment" is your best ever, in my opinion. Great writing!
Originally Posted by william_iorg
"irascible and filled with perspicacity � you know; cigar chewing, whiskey drinking, beef eating curmudgeons"

Hell, I thought that was the norm for most all of us around the CampFire!
Dear Mr. Barsness,

Your articles no longer appearing in Wolfe Publications is not the end of the world. It just seems that way to me and, judging from this forum, a lot of other people as well.

You are one of the main reasons I read and subscribe to Handloader and the two sister magazines. I don�t know when your articles first starting appearing in Handloader or when I first became a fan, although I�m sure it had something to do with seven-millimeters. (I also recall an article in Fly Fishing The West, which I may still have, that had to do with dapping for trout.)

I looked forward to your articles as I did the late Finn Aagaard�s. They were based on experience, logic, a regard for the opposite sex, a fair dose of humor and an appreciation for the classic cartridges and the reasons they became classics. Fortunately, I (we) can still look forward to you sharing your experience and insights in other publications and the �net.

Best of luck to you,

Mark Delle
Yesterday I was at the range with a fellow member of "Campfire". He and I have quite a bit in common: same age, he and wife celebrated their 50th. a week ago; my wife and I a year ago. Our adult children fit within the same age span. Both of us are hunters/shooters and favor moose hunting in particular. And we both buy our Wolfe mags off the rack and are not subscribers. If we like what we see, we buy, if not... we don't.

I suspect we'll continue to buy if we like what we see... If not, we won't! It's as simple as that.

As to John: I've enjoyed his writings, but I've not always agreed with some of his opinions, and I've told him so. If I have a disagreement with someone, I'll tell them, NOT someone else! Same with Dave: I've enjoyed most of what he's written - but not ALL! And, I've told him so.

They BOTH have made statements in print that were OPINIONS and not facts! I've pointed it out to them. If they accept it, fine. If they don't, I'll still read what they have to say and decide for myself if it's fact or opinion.

The writer at Wolfe that I've learned the most from (in a way that's helpful to me in a practical sense)is Phil Shoemaker, and I wish he had the time to do more.

John has GREAT talent, and I don't think his writing needs to be limited to guns and hunting. He'll do well whatever he decides. All the best John. smile

The question that begs to be asked, is WHY?
Oddly enough given the reality of the D/B/A (and the current state of the shooting and fishing press) I at least, sadly, never thought of the recent staff as working for [Dave] Wolfe Publishing at all.

As noted supra I'd be part of a following should hairdresser style someone choose to hire a writer with a following - and as noted supra I'd be most interested in a bound collection of old and new work.
John,

I'm sorry to hear you've left Wolfe. I learned much from you through the years, gained much insight into hunting/shooting, and had good laughs at times.

I look forward to reading more articles from you, where ever you may wind up and, if I happen to meet you in person, to thank you for all that you've done.

Tight lines and straight shooting!
Don't think I'll be renewing either, you were the reason those mags were delivered to my house. Good luck with whatever you persue.
Unfortunately, change is SOP in today's business world..........

As a gunwriter, I've ranked MD right up alongside, and maybe even surpassing, the best ever.

For a person of MD's experience and capabilities, landing on his feet elsewhere is a foregone conclusion and just depends on what he wants to do.

Unfortunately, all gun & hunting magazines really leave a lot to be desired today, and now my reason for reading WP magazines is just about totally gone.

Dedicated guns articles aside, the "Rifles & Woodsmoke" column was always one of my favorites.........the wisdom & experiences imparted as well as the tongue-in-check humor was always a good read.

Best wishes for whatever the next endeavor & adventure brings.

MM
John,
Does this mean we'll have to wait for your article on the 300 Weatherby to appear in another publication? That is one I was looking forward to!

Best of luck and thanks for your polite and willing efforts to help me (and others I'm sure) with numerous questions!
Marty
Regardless of how the why's might be different, but the lose of Seyfried and then Barsness will make it hard for me to keep reading them. With JB at the helm and a mix of the old and new of folks like Pierce, Shoemaker, Spomer, and Haviland I really liked the majority of the writing. A steady diet of Venturino (some of his stuff I like, most I don't), Trzoniec, and Rees would be very hard to swallow...
Well Dern!!!! Happy Trails dude. You'll land in a soft spot no doubt. Only thing is, I just had a Mark X action rebarreled in B-29 Ackley Improved and was hoping to get an article or two about it out of Rifle by you. Was also considering the other one, what was it??, the 9.3 BullShisk or something like that. Anyway, please add a line here now & then and let us know where to look for you and 'Leen. Thanks for what you do.
Since we've been trying to find the ideal spot for John, how about editor and writer for a rifle and handloading magazine staffed by Seyfried, Boddington, Shoemaker and VanZwoll? I'll sign up for the first 10 year subscription!
Wildcatter,, I would second that, and maybe some old articles from guys like Bob Millek, Ken Waters and Finn Aagaard
Don't forget Brian.
Originally Posted by shootem
Don't forget Brian.

Gotta get "Elk" in there too!
Originally Posted by Troutboy
Dear Mr. Barsness,

Your articles no longer appearing in Wolfe Publications is not the end of the world. It just seems that way to me and, judging from this forum, a lot of other people as well.

You are one of the main reasons I read and subscribe to Handloader and the two sister magazines. I don�t know when your articles first starting appearing in Handloader or when I first became a fan, although I�m sure it had something to do with seven-millimeters. (I also recall an article in Fly Fishing The West, which I may still have, that had to do with dapping for trout.)

I looked forward to your articles as I did the late Finn Aagaard�s. They were based on experience, logic, a regard for the opposite sex, a fair dose of humor and an appreciation for the classic cartridges and the reasons they became classics. Fortunately, I (we) can still look forward to you sharing your experience and insights in other publications and the �net.

Best of luck to you,

Mark Delle

Excellent first post, plus 1 and welcome!
Hard writting them but it's important to email them!

I left out a good deal of bitching about marketing these days and left as well as I could.

Send them a email.

sent to: [email protected]
subject: Departure of Mr Barsness

Dear Sir or Ma'am,

I have just learned that John Barsness has left your staff and I feel compelled to express my extreme disappointment. I can not describe the amount of value and trust I have in a writer that represents the facts about shooting, cartridges and hunting without bias as John does. This is very apparent in his most recent article on the 338 Fed. Vs. the 358, it's a glowing example of the honesty, and integrity of the man.

Frankly having John on your staff differentiated your publication above all others. This is a Huge loss in reader value, basically this stinks.

Subscriber,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fortunately, my drool bib can also absorb tears.
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

Now THAT is funny! grin
Finally, some GOOD news!
Wow, I just found this website tonight off a google search, only to ask you a handloading question and now you are gone. That's timing for you. Is this a wolf publishing website or will you remain? Good luck in your endeavors. You are as close as it gets to a non-pompus gun writer and I hope I can still enjoy your work in the future. I finally had someone back up my beliefs on guns. Chow from way up in Canada.
Mr. B.,
Reading your articles has always been extremely enjoyable and illustrative.
I wish you the best for the future and hope your article on he 300WBY finally comes through.
BBerg
alevas66,
Welcome to the Campfire! This is not a Wolfe website forum and I sincerely believe JB will stay here on the campfire no matter where his articles are published....

Aren't we all getting there; I just fear wearing my "Depends" diaper.
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
alevas66,
Welcome to the Campfire! This is not a Wolfe website forum and I sincerely believe JB will stay here on the campfire no matter where his articles are published....

Welcome to the Campfire; have a seat and start talking. Different opinions and ideas are always welcome, but you might need a tough skin to take the grief.

I too hope JB will stay here.
I don't plan on disappearing.
John,

Best of luck. You were the only reason I bought Rifle and Handloader.
"Handloads That Work", Handloader June 1996,, Still one of my all time Favorite JB articles,, much info here,, Maybe we should all share some of our favorite JB works just as a salute,, Whadda ya think?
Sweet, glad to here, as far as opions go, I have a couple.

"Debate increases ones knowledge, only if your smart enough to accept that sometimes your wrong" My grandmother.
We all know change is inevitable but sometimes it still stinks. I remember still how I felt when it was revealed Jack O'Connor would no longer be at Outdoor Life. Felt like my childhood had been yanked away from me. Been thinking all day about that. This situation isn't the same because, fortunately, I don't idolize JB the way I did JO'C; mostly because I'm just a skooch older than he is. Still, even though it's illogical, there's things that should just go on forever, even knowing they can't; like O'Connor at Outdoor Life and JB at Handloader, Rifle and as editor at Successful Hunter. Like many of you I had particular reasons for becoming a subscriber rather than remaining a newstand buyer. JB, Seyfried and Pearce were the primary reasons along with that grouchy old editor bringing up the rear. Some of you don't seem to care for him so I won't mention his name. Now two of those reasons are gone and the publications are slipping into the "Me too" catagory of shooting & hunting magazines. Some of the writers just aren't as talented and entertaining as others. Mike V is a great writer and extremely knowledgable about black powder & military arms. I'm just not all that interested. Not his fault, it's mine. In the case of some of the others I can't be that generous. If I were King things like this wouldn't be allowed to happen, but I'm not. Again and in a more appropriate tone I wish the best to you JB and look forward to your penmanship in other publications. I've read that good luck is preparation meeting opportunity. So most of all I wish you opportunity.
Shoot! I just re-upped for Rifle and Handloader! MD, please know your writing in the Wolf Publications will be sorely missed by me.

Expat
Count me in too; as being amongst those who will sorely miss MD's work. As of 7/30/08, Wolfe Publishing has lost one of their best assets. They still have some good writers but JB was, in my opinion, in the "Best of the Best" class. An outdoor writer who could span the vast gap between an average rifle looney/handloader/hunter/etc. like myself, to the world of big time outdoor writers doing the stuff that 90% of us only dream of. To JB, I will say that you obviously have legions of fans and I'm sure you will re-surface somewhere else. You keep writin' and I'll keep buyin' it. So what if it ain't in a Wolfe Magazine? Best of Luck to 'ya and thanks for all your contributions here at the "fire" also. I'm glad to hear you plan on hangin' around here. Keep up the good work and with your ability to relate to the average guy, you should continue to prosper.
I'll miss your articles in the Wolfe publications, JB--you were the primary reason I kept my subscriptions alive. Please keep us up to date on where you're going to be publishing in the future.

Best of luck!
Well, this is quite the shocker. First of all, I'd like to express (as others already have) how much I've enjoyed your articles in the Wolfe publications. Since Finn's passing, you're about the only writer that I really connect with on a regular basis...I find myself nodding my head in agreement while reading your articles, and I often read them over and over again, even going back to them years after they've been written as reference sources. I do enjoy the occasional Pierce and Haviland pieces as well; however, they're not enough to keep my subscription with Wolfe going. I suspect that we'll see the demise of Wolfe Publishing not too long down the road, although that benefits the shooting community not one whit. As it is, Rifle and Handloader are the only gun publications that I read anymore.

Have you thought about starting up your own gun magazine? I ask for purely selfish reasons, as it'd be nice to be able to find all of your articles in one place... grin
JB thanks for all you contributions over the years and as long as you continue to visit the campfire from time to time we'll be happy. You've always been a great help. Best of luck with your future projects.

Their loss, someone else's gain. Keep challenging everything, I'll keep buying your work.

M.D. This is is serious, I need my monthly Barsness fix. I don't care how or where, just make it happen.
John,

Good luck to you in your future endeavors. Now that being said, I am a little POed, as I just had the wife renew Rifle, and subscribe to Successful Hunter so she can mail them to me in the mail box on my return trip next month. I guess, I'll just go to the PX and thumb through what they have that may have your articles in them.

John,
Nothing is forever. I really enjoy your common sense writing and straight talk in your articles. You do much good for the average hunter shooter with advice that is well reasoned and from experience. I think that you and Carmichel are the best in the business. Keep up with the good work and best regards for future success.

Luke

If I have anything to do with it, we'll be seeing a lot more of John Barsness right here on the Campfire.

Maybe you could make him an Honorary Kahuna?
John, I've followed your writings for many years.
Nice to read articles that, when you are done, generally don't leave you feeling you've been piped a load of BS.
Keep up the good work, and let us know where to read your work.
Good luck.
Originally Posted by RickBin
If I have anything to do with it, we'll be seeing a lot more of John Barsness right here on the Campfire.

Do I smell an online subscription? I think I do, I'd like two helpings please !!!
Originally Posted by JYC
John, I've followed your writings for many years.
Nice to read articles that, when you are done, generally don't leave you feeling you've been piped a load of BS.
Keep up the good work, and let us know where to read your work.
Good luck.

Exactly. Reading his stuff doesn't leave you feeling like you just watched a commercial on tv. He actually TEACHES us something.
I want to get my "good luck JB" in here too. Looking forward to whereever you write from. Keep up your good work.
I sense a large disturbance in the force- methinks there will be a mass exodus from the Wolfe subscriptions.... myself for one!
Cat
It figures.... after a long hiatus, i just got a subscription for Rifle and Handloader, the 338 federal/ .358 win article in handloader is what prompted me, oh well at least its only a year subscrption.... JB was the main factor for signing up......
HI, John I have enjoyed your writing and straight forward approach to topics that you have covered the mags wont be the same without you ,Thanks,Craig
Friend John, if my experience is any good as an augury, you'll hear � often � for years � "[those magazines] haven't been any good since you left."

The trend will continue beyond and beside this Campfire thread. You can expect to hear it from a flattering number of the readers whom you meet at SHOT Shows, NRA conventions, etc, and afield � from more readers, more often, for more years than I have, I predict.

(FWIW, I didn't hear that quite so often after you started writing for 'em.)
Well, I know just which magazine to grab when I need to read some self-congratulatory drivel, statistical articles that read like police reports, or an overdose of passive voice, all completely uninterupted by colorful & compelling stories that make me feel as if I'd seen the country and smelled the wet hair of the game myself.

On the bright side, MORE BOOKS! WOOHOO!

BTW: The Campfire owes JB more thanks yet, ie: I found this site (as did many others, no doubt) after googling "custom rifles and wildcats" after it was mentioned in a magazine piece once.
I'm just sayin'...
I wonder -

- Does anyone at Wolfe read the Campfire?

- Do they know how we, the subscribers, feel?

- Do they care????
- Do they care????

Since we really do not know all the specifics as to why John is no longer writing for them, we cannot assume there was anything Wolfe could have done to keep him there. It is entirely possible that Wolfe's and John's priorities were at odds and no compromise was possible.

As readers we feel that all that matters is what we want, but the reality of the publishing business is that advertisers matter as much - perhaps more - than readers. It is a catch 22....no advertisers = no magazine. Piss of the advertisers and the magazine goes bankrupt. But piss off the readers and lose circulation = no advertisers. All magazines have to balance these basic realities, and readers who ignore these facts fool themselves.

John will land somewhere and he will continue to please us with his work. Wolfe will continue on without him just fine. Change happens, get over it.

Originally Posted by djs
I wonder -

- Do they care????

- I doubt it.

- totally irrelevant because of answer #3

- No.
On the positive side, (make a note, it doesn't happen often! grin) I enjoy reading John Haviland, Ron Spomer, R. H. VanDenberg, Brian Pearce, and Phil Shoemaker, and wish them all success.
Hey JB, now that you're out of a job, are you going to sell any guns cheap?

Just kidding!

Some companies just can't see the forest for the trees. I went through this a year ago. Wouldn't compromise my convictions for the company. Now I work for a better company and live in a heck of a lot nicer place.

Talent always lands on two feet. Good luck to you JB!
Originally Posted by DoubleRadius
� the reality of the publishing business is that advertisers matter as much - perhaps more - than readers. � no advertisers = no magazine. Piss off the advertisers and the magazine goes bankrupt. �

Common, ruinous misconception! Not true!

Historically, some of the world's most successful magazines have built their huge body of loyal subscribers first, then began accepting advertising when advertisers begged to be accommodated. The best known example is Reader's Digest, which was hugely and widely successful and popular long before it published its first ads. I well remember the fervent opposition of an impressive body of readers who opposed the cheapening of their beloved magazine.

But by then, the potential additional revenue from advertising was 'way too lucrative to resist.

IIRC, National Geographic began the same way long before it finally went down the same path. (I'm not sure that's so.) Ditto Scientific American. I know that National Wildlife was adless for many years, and maybe it still is.

Loyal subscribers are far more important to the success of a magazine � especially to a small one � than advertisers. Advertising revenue is greatest when subscribers are most numerous and most loyal.

Ad agencies place their clients' ads where the CPM is most favorable (CPM = cost per thousand readers).

Every year, hundreds of new magazines hit the market � and most fail from two deadly diseases �
� not enough capital for three to five years of unprofitable publication
� assumption that advertising pays the bills (not for a long time, it doesn't!)

For a while, publishing ads costs more than it pays. Magazines that are already well established with a lot of loyal subscribers net a lot from advertising � poorly capitalized little start-ups can't tote the load. Launching a new magazine and keeping it afloat during its adolescence require a vastly different managerial mind set than managing one that's already well established. The "big boys" aren't the best role models for the "little guys" to emulate.
Friend John, if my experience is any good as an augury, you'll hear � often � for years � "[those magazines] haven't been any good since you left."

The trend will continue beyond and beside this Campfire thread. You can expect to hear it from a flattering number of the readers whom you meet at SHOT Shows, NRA conventions, etc, and afield � from more readers, more often, for more years than I have, I predict.

(FWIW, I didn't hear that quite so often after you started writing for 'em.)

Ken -- always the gentleman! smile

John
Mule Deer,

I had gotten to the point when I got a new magazine from Wolfe, and I was a subscriber to all three, I would start at the back and read your articles first.

I have one of your books and one of your wife's cookbooks.

I, as a reader, will miss you. You gave us information and added in real life experience instead of just doing an "industry" positive review.

Build it and I will follow. I will find your writings and continue to enjoy your articles.

There is a lot of change in our world today. Everything happens for a reason. One door closes and another opens.

Thanks, for being you!
Ken - thanks for clearing up the advertising=content myth. I have grown very weary of hearing from editors that the reason a magazine is basically a front and back cover with very little in between is due to a lack of advertising. Coming from one who has been there, your thoughts mean a lot. (It always seemed to me that if the advertising=content myth were true, it would behoove the editor to perhaps work a bit harder at drumming up some additional advertising.) Best, John
Change happens. I enjoy reading J.B.'s work, even though he has different priorities and values than I do, in many cases. Wherever he lands, I'll seek it out and read his stuff.

And that is probably the best illustration of Mr. Howell's point. Suscribers will seek out a good publication; advertisers are the fickle ones. Give folks like the ones that read this forum a nice, meaty rag with lots of stuff you can sink your mental teeth into, and it will have a circulation. Even when the cover doesn't look like it's an issue of Cosmopolitan....... JMO, Dutch.
I have not read all 286 posts, but...

Does anyone know if JB quit or if he got fired? Maybe he quit for a better opportunity.

Maybe he will (or should) start a magazine for very serious hunters and shooters, like the ones here. As Ken Howell point out, there aould have to be a lot of startup capital invested.

If it takes 3 to 5 years to become profitable, you've got a problem. The "time value of money" current in US business will tell you never to invest in anything if it's not going to be returned for 5 years.
Don't blame you a bit. I found out you were leaving after placing a scathing email to Rifle last night over John Haviland's article on "Plains Rifle" for making sure we all knew he was going to shoot an antelope and only had one cartridge in his pocket. I KNOW he's hunted enough to know that no matter how good you are anything can happen when you pull that trigger. That's irresponsible hunting, writing and publishing. It seems it's becoming fashionable for them to criticize Elmer Keith and not too long ago they slammed my friend Mic McPherson for something he wrote in COTW...I think it was about the 32 Winchester Special. I don't have the patience to put up with the crap any more. Sorry if this hurts anyone's feelings and I'll probably be called the idiot that John Haviland and Dave Scovill are but WTH. My three subscriptions end very soon and I'm not renewing them.
JB,

Sorry to hear that you parted ways. I bought SH only because of the quality work you did there.

It can be tough when leaving a job. I lost my job in April. It was a blessing in discuise. I'm at a better employer now, and I pretty much got to fish all summer which I haven't done since I was 17.

Let us know how things work out please.

Good luck to you.

Tom
John,

I was figuring to extend my current subscriptions for all three magazines this year to get in on the drawing for the Dome Mountain elk hunt with you. Will you still be conducting that hunt for Wolfe?

thanks...jim
No, I won't.

So far my "unemployed" life lasted about 2 days. Right now I have assignments for 6 markets, including one column and a possibility for another.
sweet!
No, I won't.

So far my "unemployed" life lasted about 2 days. Right now I have assignments for 6 markets, including one column and a possibility for another.

No rest for the wicked! Or something like that.

How about the loaddata.com gig; will you still contribute there?..thanks...jim
Common, ruinous misconception! Not true!

Ken, I should have been more clear in stating the many EDITORS believe that advertisers are more important, I thought that was clearly implied in my post, but I now see that it was not. But what editors believe to be true is the reality for their business, not what writers or readers think should matter. That was my point. Editors who think "the right way" survive - others don't for long. From your experiences you know that.

Over the years I have had numerous manuscripts returned because the editors felt that the truth would scare off advertisers. Publications which did not rely on "big advertisers" accepted everything I submitted. There are many examples of advertisers over readers - one well-known example was some years ago when JD Jones wrote about the M625 and was told by the editor that he could never write a 'critical' review again for that rag. (BTW all editors do not believe that advertisers matter more - it depends on the particular publication.)

Edited for typo.
I am happy to announce that John and I have come to an agreement for him to write a monthly column for the Campfire.

I'd welcome him aboard (again), except he's been here all along.

A toast, gentlemen, to a new chapter. May it be fruitful for all!

Cheers.

rb
Cheers from WNY! Great news.

I can step away from the bridge now!
Jim,

Nope, I'm not involved at all with Wolfe anymore, whether the elk hunt giveaway, loaddata.com, or whatever.

But as I noted earlier on this thread, I am not leaving the Campfire!
John, I really enjoy your writing, I will not be renewing my subscription which runs out in two months, for rifle or handloader.
John B.,

As I sit here I reach over and grab "optics for the hunter" I do not remember who I got it from only that I ordered it in. The reason I bring this up is that I have book case full of books on loading data, hunting, fishing, and gunsmithing and such. That book case is on the other side of the room, but only two or three seem to always find their way over near the computer and my reading chair. Yours is one of them. Glad to read that you will be around the campfire ....

All the best ... from a ol' Montana that got lost east of Mighty Miss and never able to find his way back... take good care of the place while I am gone smile
John I too bought rifle and handloader for a large part because of your articles. I am blaming my .416 Rigby on you.:-). I would love to see your articles in Shooting Times (Scott I hope your listening) That magazine has made a good turnaround and is only missing one real rifle loony to be complete. reflex264
Originally Posted by RickBin
I am happy to announce that John and I have come to an agreement for him to write a monthly column for the Campfire.

I'd welcome him aboard (again), except he's been here all along.

A toast, gentlemen, to a new chapter. May it be fruitful for all!

Cheers.

rb

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-Bob F. grin grin grin [Linked Image]
JB: I had just renewed all 3 mags to get the contest entries, and was about to go out and buy 4"x6" cards for 3 more entries, but no sense now! I'll keep applying for NH moose permits, and offer you a spot as "co-hunter" if I get one. Not much else to recommend New England big-game hunting. I meant to commend you on your "hunting on horseback" article a few months back - I went on my first horseback hunt for elk in MT last fall. Due to all my reading, I was the best prepared hunter in camp, even tho' I was the only rookie. Horse racing is NOT the "Sport of Kings", horseback hunting IS!
I still miss Gary Sitton's writing from time to time, but when I do, I go find one of your articles or columns. Need fulfilled.I subscribe to 12 magazines, and you are at the top of the list for consistent excellence in expository/enjoyable reading. Thanks for everything so far, and 'til we read again!
Fonman
I find it interesting that company's hire on the basis of experience and qualifications then refuse to permit you to utilize your talents, preferring to dominate and restrict your ability to perform as you can.

After the inevitable severance, they hand you on a platter to their own competitors and wipe their hands.

Being an employee is lifes' hardest toil.

John's career will thrive because we all know the competition and it is he, we believe in, not his publishers.

JW
Mule Deer,

That was a quick vacation, I hope you got your hunting in smile

Good work tends to find good employees. Glad to hear you'll continue to stay at the fire.

Let us know when the book comes out, I'd like to get it.

Tom
So when can we get 24HOURCAMPFIRE RIFLE LOONY hats?
So when can we get 24HOURCAMPFIRE RIFLE LOONY hats?

With screen names embroidered on the back? wink

jim
Wolf just shot themselves in the foot.I won't be renewing my subscriptions.nuf said
Yeah, I had hoped for a little longer vacation, but just finished off my first article for somebody else this morning and put it in the mail. It's a market and editor I'd never worked for before, so would prefer not to say who it is until I hear back.

Luckily, in a little while Eileen and I wil be headed to Alaska for a few days of ptarmigan hunting and salmon fishing with Phil Shoemaker and the rest of the clan.
There is an excellent book on the subject of job loss titled "Who Moved My Cheese"
I wish you well in your new endeavours. I do remember your excellent article on National Geographic.Best of luck!

BTW -- Can we get autographed copies of Barsness Family books through your website?
I've stayed out of this because, well, I'm just a pup.

But I want to say, I'm really glad you are staying around, JB, and trusting yourself is NEVER a mistake!

Rock on.
I'm glad you liked the NG article; it was very interesting doing that project with them.

We autograph ALL the books order through our website, www.riflesandrecipes.com. There's also a place on the site to tell us exactly how you'd like them autographed, whether for you or as a gift, at not extra charge.

So far the transition back to freelancing has gone a little too well. I'd actually have liked a little more time off before being employed again!

John,

It sounds like it's working out well for you so far!

Congrats and continued good fortune!
Maybe this has been mentioned on here and I don't know what it all entails, but what about filming some of your hunts and selling the DVD's. Most of the current crop of hunting DVD's aren't worth buying, but I do like the ones by Bart Lancaster and a few others.

Just received you Advanced Handloader last night and planned on just looking at it a bit as it was past 10:00pm, but ended up watching the whole thing.
MD:

Glad to hear you'll be writing for the 'fire. Just another reason to have the site in the favoriiites column. shocked

Wolfe's loss will surely be your gain. There will always be plenty of demand for work the caliber of your's. Looks like the Campfire did OK on the deal too.

Best of luck!
Originally Posted by 300Takedown
Looks like the Campfire did OK on the deal too.

Don't get complacent - we haven't seen the contract yet! For all we know, we'll have to pay a nickel for every post we make. What'll happen to our aspiring Kahunas then? grin
Or perhaps mandatory pop-up windows. Or commercial messages at the bottom of all of our PMs and posts. Or checking account-sucking spyware secretly loaded on our computers. Or automatic subscription renewals charged to our accounts. All subject to binding arbitration, of course.

I enjoy JB's writing sometimes, too, but I'm keeping a hand on my wallet and an eye on dark alleys.
Rob45:

I'm sorry you think I'm an idiot. Just because I had one cartridge in my pocket, doesn't mean others were not close at hand. I didn't think I needed to explain that, but evidently some people can't read between the lines.

John Haviland
John, not to butt into this but I didn't know you posted here. I just want to tell you that I have always enjoyed your writing and thought it to be very professional and a very good read. Keep up the good work. Thanks...Bill.
JB
Enjoy the trip to Alska. Now you and Eileen can relax and enjoy some great fishing and spend time with friends.
Phil
Originally Posted by Elk
Rob45:

I'm sorry you think I'm an idiot. Just because I had one cartridge in my pocket, doesn't mean others were not close at hand. I didn't think I needed to explain that, but evidently some people can't read between the lines.

John Haviland

Good comeback. grin
JB,
My computer has been down for the better part of two weeks, and I just saw your posting here.
On one hand I'm sorry to see you depart Wolfe Pubs, but on the other I'm happy to see you begin writing for Rick, and for others too. This place is my living room, and I'll enjoy your offerings here just like I did when reading them in Wolfe Magazines.
Please let us know what other pubs you'll have articles in and I for one will be buying them.
One thing that you'll have now is freedom, freedom to set your sails in the direction you desire, not under direction from Wolfe Pubs.

Other that Successful Hunter which I'll continue buying, where I can read Phil Shoemaker's fine writings, I'll be dropping Rifle and Handloader. Phil Shoemaker is TOP drawer in every respect. I LOVED his recent article on Bear.

Keep in touch, and full speed ahead.

Don
Originally Posted by Elk
Rob45:

John Haviland

You explained it clearly...twice you said you only had one cartridge in your pocked and also that that a single shot demands only one shot.

"To many, the classic method of hunting pronghorn is to stalk a buck into sure range and fire a single telling shot. That can be accomplished with any rifle. But a single-shot rifle strictly insists on one shot."

Really? I never had a rifle insist I could not reload it, single-shot or otherwise. With every shot fired at game the goal should be one well placed shot regardless of the rifle you are shooting and a single shot should not require any more concern for making that first shot count than a semi-auto 50 BMG. I figured all hunters new this but apparently not all gun writers do. At least you said stalk within sure range.

I'm gonna edit this because I don't want to come across as a total a$$. I used to enjoy your writing and there was a time when I read Rifle and Handloader cover to cover. About the time Ross left and MikeV and Clair Reese came in it was obvious things where going downhill fast. Anyhow, back to the single-shot issue...the appeal of a single shot to most people is the simplicity of the rifle, the more compact package and yes, the focus on making that first shot count though I never understood why that has a $%@* thing to do with a single shot since it should be SOP for any hunter firing a shot at game. Anything can go wrong while that trigger is being pulled (no matter how careful or sure) and a hunter should be prepared to get another round in it ASAP if it does. My problem with your comments is they seem solely focused one that one and only shot. What's the point of having only ONE cartridge in your pocket if there are others close by...there is no point. I shouldn't have called you and Scovill idiots. I strongly disagree with the wording of your article and will simply say it influences a lot of folks the wrong way. Scovill, well, he's just getting so full of himself I can't stand reading his stuff any more. Rifle and Handloader have been the only magazines I've read for about the last seven or eight years and at this point I usually read one or two things in them and most of them are not even worth saving for future reference. My subscription ends very soon and I'm not going to renew them.

I'm sure this will generate more comments like that of bulletbutt but I'm not a member of the worship and brown nose the gun writer crowd. The days of Skeeter and Keith are long gone...unfortunately.
YIKES !!! This thread sure has changed direction since the last time I was here. Just finished reading the last successful hunter and loved it. What a shame, what a shame, sure will miss JB ,won't be the same.
JB
I was just rearranging my old issues of RIFLE when I ran across the first issue I ever bought back in 1997. I reread the article you wrote on Rifles for Mule Deer. I subscribed to read just that type of rational, common sense information. No magnumitis, no kevlar covered game at extreme range, just reasonable cartridges at practical ranges. I also took your advice on an under $500 binocular and loved it, nice high quality glass for a price I could afford. Your writing for Wolfe will be sorely missed. Keep us posted on where your articles will be appearing. Thanks (-:
First Ross, now John. Wolfe is no longer getting my support. I will not renew or purchase on the newstand......I'm done with them. Good success to you JB.
Rob45; I'm not a member of your worship and brownnose crowd, and I still think he had a good comeback for your initial insult, in which you showed a lack of maturity.
IIRC, National Geographic began the same way long before it finally went down the same path....

Hmmm... so I'm not the only one who thinks NG has declined. After decades of subscribing, I'm seriously thinking of cancelling the next time it comes up for renewal.

Back on topic, I, too, will miss Mule Deer's writing in Rifle Magazine. I'm not ready to drop my subscription, but Wolfe has lost a first-class writer.

smile Stuart
Rob45; I'm not a member of your worship and brownnose crowd, and I still think he had a good comeback for your initial insult, in which you showed a lack of maturity.

If you want to call it a lack of maturity you go right ahead. I call it being a VERY long time subscriber to a couple magazines I used to really enjoy and now under Dave Scovill the quality has gone straight down the tubes and it's very disappointing. I already said above I shouldn't have called Haviland or Scovill idiots. Basically, these magazines are appealing to a different crowd than they were when I subscribed. They used to be geared to the more advanced and technical reloaders and now they are VERY VERY basic. Now there is little to be learned from the average Handloader magazine that can't be gleaned from a reloading manual by a rank amateur. To make matters worse, they have stooped to the level of "if you don't have something intelligent to say, insult someone else" and they have recently insulted my friend Mic. McPherson in the 32 Winchester Special article a few months back. I don't remember who wrote it, might have even been Barsness, but that was when I had fully made up my mind I didn't need Wolf Pub any more! You call it what you want my friend. I call it dropping my subscription.
Originally Posted by rob45
� a couple magazines I used to really enjoy and now � the quality has gone straight down the tubes � Basically, these magazines are appealing to a different crowd than they were when I subscribed. They used to be geared to the more advanced and technical reloaders and now they are VERY VERY basic. Now there is little to be learned from the average Handloader magazine that can't be gleaned from a reloading manual by a rank amateur. To make matters worse, they have stooped to the level of "if you don't have something intelligent to say, insult someone else" �

That is extremely disturbing to me!

While I was there, we got a lot of appreciative feed-back to the effect that our writers consistently gave our readers useful dope that they couldn't get from the other magazines "that I grew-up on" � "that I learned the basics from when I was a beginner."

Also, several readers and writers have told me � in detail � of their experiences that echo my own � that two of my successors have been very rude and insulting.
Originally Posted by rob45
� a couple magazines I used to really enjoy and now � the quality has gone straight down the tubes � Basically, these magazines are appealing to a different crowd than they were when I subscribed. They used to be geared to the more advanced and technical reloaders and now they are VERY VERY basic. Now there is little to be learned from the average Handloader magazine that can't be gleaned from a reloading manual by a rank amateur. To make matters worse, they have stooped to the level of "if you don't have something intelligent to say, insult someone else" �

That is extremely disturbing to me!

While I was there, we got a lot of appreciative feed-back to the effect that our writers consistently gave our readers useful dope that they couldn't get from the other magazines "that I grew-up on" � "that I learned the basics from when I was a beginner."

Also, several readers and writers have told me � in detail � of their experiences that echo my own � that two of my successors have been very rude and insulting.

I should have worded my initial response with less animosity and I readily admit that. However, I used to live for Handloader and Rifle magazine. Now, I set it on my desk and get too it when I have enough time to choose the one or two articles I'm interested in and then I'm done with it. There have been a few issues where I've opened it and found nothing to read in it. When a couple of the writers that are there now came over (one from G&A and the other from ST) I wrote a very respectful email to Scovil and told him that I loved the magazine and seeing Ross leave and these other two come aboard has me wondering if this will continue to be a good magazine and that I had just dumped ST and G&A for the entry level, "this is a gun and we shot a deer with it and this is why you should buy it" form articles...and low and behold the two worst offenders were the new writers for Rifle and Handloader. I was told "XYZ will write what I tell him to write and as for ABC you should listen to him because he's a very advanced handloader"! I just about spit coffee on my keyboard. If he was a halfway average handloader he would have figured out he had problems with his 45 Colt dies YEARS ago rather than making a career out explaining to those who know better that the 45 Colt isn't as accurate as the 38 and 44 WCF only to admit his dies where not creating enough neck tension just a few short months ago!!! Anyhow, I have all my old issues and they are cherished! I know it can't be an easy job running those magazines but being as condescending as Scovil isn't helping him or the magazine much.

BTW, I'm not trying to offend anyone with what I've posted on this. I'm just disappointed in the way Rifle and Handloader are going. Thinking about replacing them with Guns and American Handgunner just because they are different and heck, there's John Taffin! OTOH, ABC writes for them as well but that's easy enough to ignore.
Let's focus close and tight to make the matter clear �

The man who owned the company when I was there is long dead. The raw kid whom we hired right out of school and trained � whose family later bought the company for him � has sold it to a man whom I do not know (he and I were personally introduced and shook hands at the 2008 SHOT Show � a matter of a few seconds, with no mention then that he'd just acquired Wolfe Publishing).

So I feel and owe no loyalty to the present owner.

But I still feel the same old deep loyalty to my writers and our readers.

It's for them that I grieve when I hear what I've been hearing here. I almost feel that we wasted our time, back then.
Ken,

Your time was not wasted! I still use loads and other information that was gleaned from the likes of Bob Hagle, Ken Waters, Bob Milek, John Wootters and others, including yourself. You fellows provided a service nobody else even came close to at that time! I, for one, want to thank you for it! I'm sure there are a lot of others out there that feel the same way.

Thanks again,
M. Bell
Not to beat a dead horse, but I think the quality went down after Ross left. I can only imagine how bad it's going to go down now that JB is leaving. Like so many things in our society, the quality isn't what it used to be...........

I for one will not be doing any more business with the company. I was leaning this direction when Ross left, and with JB leaving it has secured the deal for me.

Originally Posted by Ten_Sleep
Ken,

Your time was not wasted! I still use loads and other information that was gleaned from the likes of Bob Hagle, Ken Waters, Bob Milek, John Wootters and others, including yourself. You fellows provided a service nobody else even came close to at that time! I, for one, want to thank you for it! I'm sure there are a lot of others out there that feel the same way.

Thanks again,
M. Bell

Exactly! Just because the current leadership is lacking doesn't diminish the past success or contribution to the shooting sports.
Originally Posted by cra1948
I've subscribed to the Wolfe magazines since I returned from SEA in 73. At that time, and for a number of years, they were the best on the market. There was a decline in editorial quality in the late '80's - early '90's that has been somewhat mitigated. The move from a subscriber-oriented to a marketing-oriented style has been subtle and well-managed, but very apparent. With Ross Seyfried and now John Barsness gone it is unlikely I will renew.

X 2 )even though I like Pearce and Shoemaker.(

I have to tell you John, this is going to dampen my enthusiasm for long trips to the lil' john. ;)(was that a little too honest?)
I have enjoyed your writing with the three for awhile now, and the real problem this is going to cause in the future is having to hunt down your articles in the myriad of other magazines.
Could you please ask Rick to put up a "Mule Deer's articles of the future" sticky so we can just go out and buy the right one. I would hate to have to hang out at the rack and search every mag for your name. That just borders on creepy...
I wish you a road heavily burdened with good hunts, friends, and moments in the future. Please don't stop writing, or we will suffer for it.
Thank you for the great work of the past.
Your fellow looney,
Andrew.
Mr. Howell,

I've always aDmireD your writings anD will continue to reaD them from time to time. I think we all know where you stanD on the subject of Wolfe Publishing. A little less angst from you may be may be in orDer though given the time removeD. You aPPear to have a long burn for then. You shoulD let it go...you yourself have maDe a larger mark than they.

Sorry for the strange caPs, but my keyboarD is acting uP.
John:

This is dark news. I am plainly not alone in thinking that. I'm glad that you can move on to greener pastures, but will miss the ease with which I could have most or all of your articles in any given month by simply subscribing to Rifle, Handloader, and SH.

Keep us posted where your articles are being published, and I'm looking forward to reading your books.
It is always interesting to hear of similar or different experiences with the same people.
I have written to Dave Scovill several times over the years. In these letters I have often complained about the changes taking place in Handloader magazine, the content and the format. I took Dave to task for the purple and blue pages � hard for me to read with black print, and for the red font at the paragraph breaks. I honestly disliked these changes and may have been rude in my letters. I complained about glued inserts and once mailed an insert with a good chunk of page attached. I didn�t ask for a replacement magazine but they sent one out anyway.
The point is Dave answered each letter personally and was not only considerate; he took time to explain what he was trying to do; save the magazine. Dave explained the only way to save the magazine was to increase circulation and Handloader must change or die.
I have written and criticized various articles; Dave answered each of these letters with interesting comments and examples of why I was both: right and wrong.
While I wouldn�t say we were correspondents I have enjoyed reading his comments and felt that he had at least listened to me.

I have ordered a number of books from Wolfe publishing and I can say it is a pleasure to talk to the office staff. I ordered �Varmint and Small Game Rifles and Cartridges� � a compilation book. When I received this book I sat right down and read it from cover to cover, then composed a �hate mail� letter to Dave. This book was missing a page from two articles and the table of contents does not have page numbers. These are minor problems but I wanted Dave to know I felt page numbers in the table of contents is a necessity and the missing pages was not acceptable.
Dave wrote back as did a Ms. Frasquillo (I haven�t forgotten the name as I had never seen it before). Both letters were apologetic and friendly. They also sent copies of the missing pages.
Twice I have ordered books from Wolfe Publishing and received the wrong book. I called once and my wife called the second time. We were fully prepared to return the books to Wolfe. On both occasions Wolfe immediately sent out the correct book and told us to keep the other books with their compliments.
When �we� talk about Wolfe Publishing I probably have a different picture in my mind than others. The format of Handloader has changed considerably from the 1970�s to today but the magazine still has merit. I don�t know Dave Scovill or anyone on the office staff but I believe they are professionals trying to do the best they can.
Originally Posted by 300WinMag
� I think we all know where you stand on the subject of Wolfe Publishing. A little less angst from you may be in order though, given the time removed. You appear to have a long burn for them. You should let it go. �

No doubt a very worthy idea but easier for one person to say than for another person to do �

How many magazines (or similar projects) have you carefully, laboriously, assiduously nurtured into a very satisfying fellowship with a couple of communities of outstanding people, only to see your successors flush 'em away? Hurts closer to the heart hurt longer.
I've subscribed to Wolfe's publications for many years, and have collected almost all past issues of H/L and R. I have also been a follower of Ken Waters, but I have to acknowledge,that you, thhough your articles and books have taught me more in the past few years than any other single source. We've talked at several MT gunshows so will look forward to seeing you again, and following more of your writings. Enjoy the hunt!
Wow - what a shame. As said, Wolf's loss.

I will still subscribe (I'm out there into the future quite a bit anyway) but I would like to know were to find your articles - you are one of the big reasons that I subscribed to Rifle, Handloader and SH...
I worked for a company for a little over 4 years and doubled the dollar volume in my territory without cutting prices. The new regional manager and I were like oil and water. He fired me.

The went to work for a company in a different business in 1976 and in 1981 was Salesman of the Year out of a sales force of 65. By 1998 we'd been bought by an eastern firm. They fired all the sales people.

I got tired of giving my best for other people and became an independent broker.
Best decision of my life! Go freelance and live free! All the best.

I may work for a jerk, but I'm pretty sure he won't fire me.

Roger Beach
Originally Posted by Roger Beach

I may work for a jerk, but I'm pretty sure he won't fire me.

Roger Beach

Jerk? You're a son of a Beach!

smile I'm really sorry you had to hear that for the millionth time, I just couldn't resist! smile .......................DJ
I have read every issue of Rifle and Handloader since they was first published. Not at the date of publishing but as I accumulated them over the years. There is a steady change since the days of Neal Knox. It was a lot more enthusiast friendly in the old days.
I always enjoy your articles where ever I find them. Kind of like a vintage Charley Waterman piece. It never gets dated or hackneyed.
drducati,

Thanks very much. That's one of the nicest compliments I've gotten. Charley was a friend of mine (we visited both in Florida and Montana, and fished together in Florida a little) and I learned a lot from him about writing, both the craft and the business.
Muledeer, Would you consider writing a book on leverguns that includes, well, everything, ballistics on the straight wall cases, breakdown diagrams for cleaning, stuff like that?
Reading some writers is like perusing entries in a journal. With a very few it is a trip into nostalgia and the past where one walks in mountains and smells the smoke of remembered camp fires. John is one of those few. I worried when he became editor but believe he now faces only opportunity. Sadly, Wolfe now has only reporters and no writers. Time for weeping.
John,

I just had to add that I have been reading your work since your 1981 article entitled THE 30-06 CASE STILL MAKES FINE WILDCAT MEDIUMS in the Ninth Edition of HANDLOADER'S DIGEST.

It infected me with the dreaded wildcat fever, which has been only recently treated by the building of a 6.5 X 270 on a LH Rem 700. I have a LH Chas. Daly that will be a medium in either a 35 Whelen or 9.3 X 62.

Looking forward to more of your work.

Roger Beach

Man, that was a long time ago. I supposedly sold that article to GUN DIGEST, but before it was printed John Amber retired and Ken Warner decided to put it in HD. That was the very first article I sold to those books.

Is the difference in the 6.5/.270 and the 6.5-06 the slightly longer neck?

Both the .35 Whelen and 9.3x62 are great rounds. But once you have them, you'll have to get a pair of rifles chambered for their short-action brothers, the .350 Remington Magnum and the 9.3 B-S!
I just got a copy of "The Best of John Jobson," a collection of articles he wrote for Sports Afield. It's a wonderful read by a gifted author. But back to the present. Mule Deer, you've been writing for well over 20 years now; have you considered putting together a book of your favorite articles? You are getting harder to collect now that you write for so many publications. I'm pretty sure a collection of your best would sell very well.
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Mule Deer, you've been writing for well over 20 years now; have you considered putting together a book of your favorite articles? You are getting harder to collect now that you write for so many publications. I'm pretty sure a collection of your best would sell very well.

I second the motion on that idea! Consider one pre-sold... grin
Ingwe
I am way ahead of you, guys. I'm putting together three books. They won't exactly be collections of articles, because some have to be updated or otherwise rewritten a little, but they are in the works. The first will be a book on hunting rifles. The others are another book of hunting stories (like THE LIFE OF THE HUNT) and a book about handloading. Don't know which one will come after the hunting rifle book. But they are all in various stages. I am hoping/planning to get the rifle book out next year.

In fact two of my previous books were either entirely or mostly collections of previously published articles. THE LIFE OF THE HUNT had four original pieces, written just for the book, mixed with a bunch of previously published articles, but WESTERN SKIES (my bird-hunting book) was entirely made up of previously published material.
I'll take two of each when you're done grin That's great news, the handloading book in particular is a greatly needed addition to the hunting library.
Mule Deer, I'd loved to see a book from you on general gunsmith/stock topics. That article you did a few years back in Rifle on stock bedding was fantastic.

While we're comparing you to writers, I've always thought of you as the Gierach of the Gun: A great story line, a lot of info and tons of heart.
I am way ahead of you, guys. I'm putting together three books.

OK, amend my earlier post. Consider three pre-sold! grin

Keep up the quality- as Im sure you will- like LIFE OF THE HUNT,which if you remember, even my sister, the ex-PETA-file thought should be required reading for hunters and non-hunters alike!!! THATS quite a compliment! laugh
Ingwe
Hey, thanks for the comparison! I have met Gierach a couple of times, and he even said he liked my own trout-fishing book. I really like his stuff, of course. One of my favorites is an observation he made years ago, before he started making decent money. One of his acquaintances asked how he could afford such fine bamboo fly rods when he drove an old beat-up Toyota pickup. John said: "Isn't it obvious?"

I am kind of the same way. I don't drive a beat-up old Toyota pickup, but both our pickups (a Ford and Toyota) are 9 years old, though in very fine shape. And I have been asked how I could go hunting in places like Africa and buy custom rifles by guys who buy a new $40,000 pickup both for them and their wife every other year.

There will be gunsmithing stuff in the rifle book, on the things most of us can do like stock bedding and scope mounting.

Looking forward to the books!
Yeah, my truck's nine going on ten. I've got a bit of nice bamboo and a lot of nice guns hanging around the house.

Re: Handloader's Digest 9th, et al

Well John, it was a long time ago and I am getting a little long in the tooth. At least those I have left. I must have read that article 20 times. Can't tell you why it is so enjoyable, but I think it is a classic. Maybe I just like the nostalgia of when we both had less "distinguishing grey" in our hair. You have more than I do. Hair, not grey.

My 6.5 X 270 is a product of Charles A. Benke and his article in HL 176 on the 6.5 X 64 Brenneke which is identical to the 6.5 X 270. He mentioned Ray Montgomery (Ray's Gunshop in Grand Junction, CO) who has used this wildcat for 20 years, and that Ray chambers his 6.5/06's with the longer neck (+.046) because the 270W and 280 Remington are 2.540 oal vs the 2.494 oal of the rest of the '06 family. That way you can use any of the family and not worry about high pressures at bullet release. On a antelope hunt in the Dakotas everyone in the party had on '06, 270 or 280. I casually mentioned reloading for the 6.5 and ended up with the whole parties empties at the end of the hunt. Now I can't find my neck turner.

I acquired a Rem 700 LH and bought a Douglas Premium 10" twist from a guy I met at a gun store. I never planned to shoot anything heavier than a Hornady 129 anyway. Benke says he was able to stabilize 160's and I (I could not bring myself to buy a 270W. Needed something different to do the same job. You know the disease.) When I called Ray for an estimate to rebarrel, bead blast, and blue, he said his was 14" twist and he was having a tough time getting enough velocity to stabilize a 140 gr for a caribou hunt in Canada. I sent him the barrel and barreled action.

I am leaning toward the 9.3 X 62. I have a 358W in BLR. The 250 Speer at 2350 is awesome on whitetails. Haven't seen an elk with it in hand. Practicality may get the upper hand, as I won't have to stock another bullet caliber and get to fooling around with various weight and end up with another dozen half boxes of bullets I probably won't shoot. I can get Hawk and Swift 275-280 grain bullets in 35 if I feed the need to take on a Musk Ox and need the SD for penetration. Another mental battle.

The only magnum I own is a Smith 27 5" circa 1975. And my scopes run to 2.5X, 4X, 1-4X, and 1.5-5X. The man on the trigger is the magnum. If I can't see well enough and can't get closer there is always another day. I started hunting big game 48 years ago. I have lost one animal. Bad hit. I found it a day later and was sick for a week. Never again.

John, I agree with some of the others. I just read Finn's FINN AAGAARD SELECTED WORKS. It is a treasure. You need to do a similar volume. It's already written and would provide some fast cash. I'll send you a PM about a solution.

Roger Beach

I'm french subscriber of Rifle and Handloader magazines for more than 12 years now. As a little bit of a writer for hunting magazines in France i enjoyed the way Ross and you were writing stories and tests. Close to the reality, and with great writing class, you looked free, really independant and that's the way it must be. In France it's really difficult to do such way and we are always under pressure from the advertising manager, must fight to stay independant but i do my best trying to follow the way you and Ross traced for me. I stop my subscription of SH when Ross leaved and i have received my second renewal order for R&H but ain't renew yet. Since you left the magazines are going down and i'm not so in a hurry to open them when they arrive in my mail box. Sad to say but seem to have lost friends.
May be no one is irreplaceable but some are more difficult to replace than others.
Wish you good luck and wait for your books.
Regards from France
Dom
Dom,

Thanks very much. I am writing for other magazines regularly now, mostly GUNS and SPORTS AFIELD, along with several others including VARMINT HUNTER and AMERICAN RIFLEMAN.
© 24hourcampfire