Home
Posted By: iambrb Mannlicher rifle model history. - 09/16/08
i just through a series of great trades aquired 3 Mannlciher rifles, a heavily sportrized Greek model, a 1952 improved half-stock in 270, and a MCA fullstock in 30-06. Man, I like these guns! I was searching the web for, but cannot seem to find, a model history of these guns, anyone care to share?

What are the different models that were made, and when?

Thanks to all.
Posted By: 1B Re: Mannlicher rifle model history. - 09/16/08
You have excellent taste.

There is a M/S collectors association and an internet site where you can immerse yourself in all the lore you want, and then some.
A sure way to get into a seriously expensive habit.

Good luck,
1B
Cool.

May we see some pics?

- Tom
Your Greek rifle is on the 1908 action.

After WWII, Mannlicher resumed building sporting rifles and made some improvements for longer cartridges and scope mounting.

The Model 1950 has a straight down bolt handle which will not clear the split bridge mounts without a little modification.

The 1952 Model has a swept bolt handle which clears the scope.
The MC is for the Monte Carlo stock.

Model 1956 saw the MCA with a very pronounced high comb.

I can post pictures of all sorts of variations, but for now, some links and contacts to the Mannlicher Collectors Association.
Mannlicher Collectors Association

http://www.mannlicher.org/index.html

Membership

Ever since its founding twenty years ago, the Mannlicher Collectors Association has been the major forum of communication for collectors, sportsmen, and historians in the numerous military and sporting arms manufactured by the Steyr Armory in Austria.

MCA members benefit from exchanging information about Steyr arms and from communicating with those wanting to disperse or add them to their collections. MCA members are also invited to participate in the association's annual banquet meeting, always held in conjunction with a major three-day gun show, as well as in the association's African safaris scheduled every few years.

All MCA members also receive a complementary copy of the association's quarterly newsletter, The Mannlicher Collector. A sample issue can be ordered from the Membership Secretary at the cost of $3.00. ($4.00US in Canada and $5.00US overseas.)

Click here for application
http://www.mannlicher.org/application.htm

OFFICERS

Andrew Tadie, MCA President
Seattle University
Seattle, Washington 98122-4340

Rob Blank, Vice President
1000 Jacklin Road
Milpitas, California 95035
Email: [email protected]

Dr. Christopher Ebert, MCA Archivist
Post Office Box 966
Washougal, Washington 98671

Larry Stewart, MCA Membership Secretary & Treasurer
and Managing Editor, The Mannlicher Collector
The Office of the Membership Secretary
Post Office Box 10105
College Station, Texas 77842-8710

Don Henry
MCA Co-founder & Executive Editor of The Mannlicher Collector
Post Office Box 7144
Salem, Oregon 97303

Norman Tonn
MCA Master-at-Arms
Post Office Box 1249
The Dalles, Oregon 97058

"ARVARD W. TOMPKINS" <[email protected]
Links

Mannlicher Collectors Association
[email protected]

A.W. "Tom" Tompkins' Web Site: "A View and Information of Fine Mannlichers"
http://mannlicherschoenauer.com/mannlicherfacts.htm

Nick Conner's Web Site: "Mannlicher-Schoenauer- a Gentleman's Rifle"
http://discover-net.net/%7ekanotex/mannlicher/

Randy Rick's Web Site: "Steyr/Austrian Weapons Collecting"
http://home.alltel.net/randyric/index.htm

Erick Schroder - Austrian Gunsmith
http://www.eschoder.com/english/english-index.htm

Steyr Club Website: Contemporary Steyr Arms
http://www.steyrclub.com/

German Gun Collectors Association
http://www.germanguns.com/

Biographies of Ferdinand Ritter von Mannlicher, Otto Schoenaur, Josef Werndl and Karl Holub - For Further Information:

www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/biog/mannlicher.htm
www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/biog/werndl.htm
www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/biog/holub.htm
Thank you so much Lee. Those links are excellent.

The second and third in the last post do not work for me.
The best book on Mannlichers is by Max Chittick. He has passed on, but his wife Lavon may have some copies left for sale. You can contact her at 765-379-2364.
dan
I will update my links and post the changed ones, as soon as I can. Thanks for letting me know some of them had gone stale.

Mr. Chittick had a great collection, wonderful knowledge, and was gracious in sharing information. I was fortunate enough to get to visit him and see his extensive collection of Mannlichers.

Once you own one, you have the bug for life. After I sold my first one, a 1952 Carbine .30-06, in 1975, it was only with the goal of upgrading to a nicer one or a Steyr M Luxus.
As a long time lurker I'd also like to thank you for this post and all the links. I have admired the Mannlicher Full stock rifles since I was little after seeing my uncles MC in 25-06. Over the years I was lucy enough to find Ruger RSI's in my price range in .243 .308 and my latest one in .250-3000. But last week I finally acquired a 1956 MC in .308 The bluing is 99% and the stock I would have to say is about 90%. It has been in the woods(and will be again soon) it has an integrated scope mount with a Pecar Berlin 2X7 scope. Unfortunately it has a Pachmyer butt pad, there is a fine line of black paint outlining the checkering and the original owners initials are engraved into the floor plate, but it's mine.
Come on man, we NEED pictures!

I'm a MS lover from a distance. I ended up with a RSI instead, too.
Does anyone know the origins of the full stock style? Was it purely for a certain "look" or did it come about as a result of a functional need?

I have always liked the full stock look. But I to ended up with an RSI as opposed to MS.

I have been toying with the idea of having one built on a mauser action in 7x57 or 6.5x55.
I suspect it is just design evolution.

Most early muzzleloading muskets and rifles had full-length forends. Military rifles and muskets were sturdier, in order to protect hands from hot metal and to serve as bayonet handles. Single shot muzzle loading warfare was in the closing era of massed formations and infantry charges, or use of long bayonets as pikes against calvary.

The bolt action rifle was a military invention, and most early ones had full-length forends to use as a bayonet handle, protect the hands, and keep water out of the barrel channel.

Early sporting rifles made from military bolt actions, like today, were often just cut down military rifles. The first sporting bolt actions with half-length forends are seen about 1893, on the Mausers and the Krag-Jorgensen carbines in 6.5x55 Krag. These carbines were just maybe a bit fancier wood than the Norwegian Engineer's Carbine issued by its army.

Remember that Mannlicher was selling the bulk of its rifles to the militaries of the day, too.

I think the 1908 sporting carbine is just a beautiful design to set it apart from the 1908 military carbines.

There's nothing wrong with building a Mannlicher style rifle today. I would keep the barrel 20 to 21 inches, for looks and function.
Does anyone know the origins of the full stock style? Was it purely for a certain "look" or did it come about as a result of a functional need?

I suspect that it's for balance. The extra weight of the wood between the forend and the muzzle helps move the balance point forward, but is not enough by itself. That's where the steel nose cap comes in.

Okie John
Originally Posted by prostrate8
Come on man, we NEED pictures!

I'm a MS lover from a distance. I ended up with a RSI instead, too.

Sorry it took so long I've been busier than a one armed paper hanger, here it is:

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Sweet!
The condition is excellent.
Does yours have the high cheekpiece of the 1956 MCA, or the low comb of the 1952?
The 1952 swept bolt handle is such a sleek rifle. Sleek and slick.

I have the same Pecar scope with No 1 reticle on a Brno 22 full stock carbine. It's a good scope, very rugged, used by the military, and it looks so good on your rifle.

I may have to snap some photos and post a few.
It has the high cheek piece. It is a 1956. Ok it's your turn let see some Pic's
Here is what I believe to be a MS MCA carbine full stock chambered in .358 Win. When I saw it last winter I just had to have it as I am a .358 Win. afficiando. It shoots well with good headspace. There is a new Conquest on it now. I 'paid' for it but its rare to find them. At the Same Autumn Gunworks in Goshen, CT he had it as a pair with a 30-06. The 06 is sold as well.

[Linked Image]

Here are some pics I took of the 06 at Autumn.

[Linked Image]

1951 Mannlicher in .270 with dark walnut

[Linked Image]

1952 Mannlicher in .243 in blonde walnut

[Linked Image]
1952 Mannlicher with original manual, sling, leather scope caps and scope case. It has a custom stock.

[Linked Image]
1903 Mannlicher with storage in the buttplate for cleaning kit and extra cartridges.

[Linked Image]
Always a treat to look at the different scope mounts from old Mannlichers. After they standardized the factory drilling to the redfield mount system in 1965, the creativity went away.
dan
Well, the old Mannlicher-Schoenauer had a split rear receiver, so the rear mount had to attach to the left side.

The Paul Jaeger side mount is a good solution for a lot of these older bolt actions. With slim scopes like the Lyman Alaskan, you could use the iron sights under the scope, but the scope slipped off and back on to zero in an instant.

There was a hinged side mount which let you swing the scope out of the way for use of iron sights. I will scare up a photo and post that.
As Lee24 mentions, mounting good sights is a bit of a problem. For me though, I kind of enjoy the rifles anyway. Here are a few that still get hunted with.

[Linked Image]
I'm a bit partial to the Griffon & Howe side mount when fitting to a 52 improved or newer rifle with the removeable side plate. Quick detach levers and slide are very nicely done. That center rifle of the five has one beautiful piece of wood!
dan
© 24hourcampfire