Home
Posted By: 65BR 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/29/08
I always admired....never owned a Colt Woodsman.....If they would make one again, in fine matte Stainless, short bbl w/adj. sights and a good trigger.......I might buy a few.

I think I need a SOLID well made compact stainless 22, that has enough heft to shoot well, but not as heavy/large as my Rugers. Brownings not bad, maybe a Stainless Micro Buck Mark URX....anyone have anything bad to say about Buck Marks?

Maybe I'll chop/flute a Bull Mark II or Comp. Slabside to 4.5", just cannot accept the new Mark IIIs w/lawyer designs.

SOMEWHERE I did read a company was to reproduce the Woodsman. Seems like it was a company that makes sixshooters.

Anyone know?
Posted By: half_whit Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/29/08
http://www.usfirearms.com/pages/woodsman_press_release.asp only one i know of. maybe try a sig trailside?
Posted By: 65BR Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/29/08
Thanks half whit, thought that may be the company but have not heard much but put in an email, says released in Oct. '07 but wonder if they hit a snag in production? Sigs seemed nice when they came out, but never took off as I'd expected and not sure what to think. Had a Colt Cadet when first came out, about the right size SS 22, but it was discontinued, never liked the composite grip/frame, and the striker design was a slow lock time. Also tried a High Standard in the mid 90s, Stainless 4.5" victor copy made in Texas....Mitchell? Not bad but not flawless in fuctional reliability. Was accurate and nice trigger, good looking.

Woodsman's just seemed the right sized design for a 22 handgun IMHO. Do see the website mentions Nickel options.....that would be weather resistant in field perhaps.

Have to wait for a response, thanks again.
Posted By: DMB Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/29/08
Originally Posted by 65BR
I always admired....never owned a Colt Woodsman.....If they would make one again, in fine matte Stainless, short bbl w/adj. sights and a good trigger.......I might buy a few.

I think I need a SOLID well made compact stainless 22, that has enough heft to shoot well, but not as heavy/large as my Rugers. Brownings not bad, maybe a Stainless Micro Buck Mark URX....anyone have anything bad to say about Buck Marks?

Maybe I'll chop/flute a Bull Mark II or Comp. Slabside to 4.5", just cannot accept the new Mark IIIs w/lawyer designs.

SOMEWHERE I did read a company was to reproduce the Woodsman. Seems like it was a company that makes sixshooters.

Anyone know?

I have bought two Buck Marks, a Target Model, and one with a 4" barrel. Sold the Target as I stopped shooting in the league, and still have the short barrel model.
It never fails me, it always shoots, and very accurately. The trigger is better than the Rugers, and it's FAR easier to disassemble for cleaning, and to reassemble.
I can't think of a more reliable pistol made today, for the purpose you have, as I had when I bought my short barrel Buck Mark.
Cabela's has an outstanding holster made for it too; I bought one.

Don
Thanks DMB, brothers have the 5.5 Target bull but never crazy about them. Had a micro blue in the past, short while maybe 10 years ago, sold it w/o ever really giving it a work out.

Seems the Browning has a small plastic part....maybe recoil buffer? Thought the Ruger all steel construction preferable but perhaps the Brownings are holding up just fine.

Out the box, the Mark 2 4.5" bull target stainless old style grip was of high interest to me, made few and they still have triggers heavier than desired.

Think I will try the SS Micro Buck Mark.
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/29/08
+1 on the Buckmark. I have one that shoots just slightly less accurately than my Smith & Wesson #41, which is scary accurate. And the Buckmark costs about 1/3 the price of the #41.

There are a lot of Buckmark models to choose from too.

Steve
Steve what model do you have? Using open sights? What ammo does your prefer? Thanks much. And yes, you got that right, WAY too many options, should have interchangeable bbls.....
Posted By: duckster Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/29/08
Another vote for the Browning Buckmark as a knock around trail gun. Mine is more accurate that I can shoot and has always gone "bang"
Posted By: bobmn Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/29/08
Most accurate: Pac-Lite upper receiver for a Ruger pistol from Tactical Solutions. Replace the factory trigger in the Ruger lower with a target trigger.
Smallest/lightest: S&W scandium 22 with 3" barrel
Best solution for a 22 trail gun which is small, light and accurate: Walther PP 22 long rifle. Replace rear fixed sight with a more prominent adjustable rear sight.
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/29/08
65BR

It's a Buckmark Camper, with a Nikon 2X scope, which my 68 year old eyes really need. It shoots Federal Classic and the CCI SGB very well. The Win Power Point somewhat less so.

Will be taking it to WY next week(Antelope and deer) and use it for Prairie Dogs. It has been very effective on PDs in the past out to 60-70 yards.

I'd go for the stainless if I had the choice again. Bought the Camper about 8 years ago.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/29/08
grinI actually enjoy being the "odd man out" grin I like and prefer my .22 Colt Diamondback 4". Something about not having a magazine to lose or sumpthin' like that. grin
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/29/08
My favorite trail/kit gun is a Rossi 515 in 22 Magnum. I can shoot 22 LRs with a chamber adapter from Ace Dube, www.mcace.com, if I want to.

If you're looking for a semi-auto, the S&W 2206 or 622 might work for you.

Jeff
Posted By: antlers Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/29/08
I agree. I've got a Buck Mark Micro Standard Stainless URX. I got it specifically for a trail gun...and it's been a great choice. I use the factory open sights, which are very good for a trail gun, and I shoot the Federal bulk pack ammo. from Wal-Mart through it...plenty accurate. It's small enough, and light enough, to easily carry. It looks good, and has a nice trigger. I would recommend it.

Incidentally, a buddy recently bought the SS Ruger Mark III with the 4.5 inch fluted barrel, in the 22/45 configuration. It's pretty nice. The front sights are fiber-optic. It's small, and fairly lightweight. He really likes it. It looks good too.

Good luck with your choice.
Posted By: husqvarna Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/29/08
S&W kit guns were the best trail guns. My girlfriend's High Standard is the best auto I have used: very accurate, very pretty, and has a very positive safety. Buck Marks are good: accurate, nice trigger, but a little heavy and have a rather rough finish.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/29/08
I've owned and used lots of .22 caliber trail guns over the years. The very first, was an older WWII era, 6" Colt Woodsman. Later I bought and carried a later design 4". They were and still are, if you can find one, first class pistols.
But as trail guns they had a few drawbacks. The light 4" barrel versions were pretty muzzle light. While the safety worked, if you reworked the trigger much, it could discharge if you impacted the pistol somehow. Not good.
Frankly, after using lots of semi autos as trail guns, in the .22 LR rd., I like the revolvers better. My 317 S&W is so light that I can easily forget I'm wearing it. My old SS Ruger Convertible not only shoots very well, but can use the much more potent .22 RFM rds. I stopped using my Woodsman, when I bought a K-22 S&W way back in the 60's. Another gun I sold which I regreted selling. That and it's K-38 brother. Later, I bought the Single Six Convertible in stainless steel. And never looked back. E
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/29/08
Depending on how bulky I want to carry, I use a Walther P22 or a Ramline with a 1.5 scope. The Buckmark would be high on my list of desirables if I were buyig at this time.

Leon
WOW, let's see, the Diamondback, one came in a gunshow about 2-3 years back, as I was getting my money from a buddy standing right there, a dealer cut in and took the gun .....very rude. $350 for a ANIB 4", never again, then the 4.5" Woodsman MATCH as New in box a few years earlier, $450, another 'never again' and no cash in hand......hard lessons learned.

Now as to kit guns, owned a 34 long ago, thought I'd get a 17 4" as the grips were more filling. Shot well, sold it, missed the heck out of it, bought a 4" 617 and it was a tad too heavy, the 6" would have been a nice gun for a longer bbl gun, esp. w/scope it seems. SO on to the PP, I have an Astra Constable, and missed a German PP 22 years back, $500, another ANIB gun, and agree on the sights, there was a company MMG?...that made adj. sights for it long ago.

And lastly, yes, looked up the Smith airlight recently, 3 inch seems handy, 2 never enough, a 3" I could live with but I just cannot get warm and fuzzy on ANY gun w/a key lock device.

I think the Buck Mark SS either 4" or 5.5 URX may be my next gun. Faster and easier than chopping and customizing a Ruger, but I have a few if I need a base model.....still might be heavier than a Browning I am thinking.

If ONLY Ruger had left a good thing alone, the Mark II, and then added that Fluted 4-4.5" bbl in SS w/original style grips, I'd be really happy I think. Well, leave it to lawyers/lawsuits in the gun industry to ruin things.

Oh - E, I sold a 4 5/8" Single Six Stainless, tad heavy, slow to load/unload vs an auto, and lower velocity, noticeable...never fired magnum ammo in the other cylinder, but long ago got my ears busted standing next to someone w/a shorter bbl revolver, a 22 magnum, not wearing ear protection....left an impression on me for sure. DID think about doing a round butt conversion, as John Taffin did an article on a converted short one, looked nice. Think it would fit me better also. The SS Bearcat and SP-101 4" are models I have considered for size/weight. The SP-101 if accurate and decent trigger looks appealing, and a 327 magnum would be nice for more punch on smaller game/2 legged varmints as well. Too bad the triggers are not as nice as the old Smith 17 and 18s.

I guess if SMITH would make the PP in 22 like the stainless 380 PPK/S, and add an adjustable sight....I know, not holding my breath....as if Colt re-mfg. the Woodsman...and as above, in stainless.

I must be too picky about my guns...just curious Antlers, how did that ruger fluted shorty your buddy has shoot? i.e. 25 yds?

Thanks for comments guys.

Posted By: rost495 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/29/08
Unlock the airweight and toss the key, thats what I did with my 329pd...
I"ll own a smith since the accuracy and trigger are so good on my 329, it begs a mate in 22 for grouse and such.

Jeff
BTW, never warmed up to the 2206/622 nor newer Walther P22, Beretta Neos not bad looking feeling, not sure accuracy and reliability and I am picky on accuracy.

Re: Pac-Lite, thought about those bbl options, would like to hear from any owners.

Jeff, how's the 329PD shoot? Looked at the 357 PD, 41M at one time for a larger gun. SO you looking at the 3" airweight?

My use for the gun in question, is can throw in a pack, or holster, casual plinker, and even something my 11 yr old can shoot. Lighter guns easier for him to handle right now vs my bull 5.5 Mk II's. Good sights, trigger, accuracy needed preferably in a stainless/similar finish so that holds me off many options on 22's. Lots of options, too bad there are not more HIGH quality options out there.

I'll look at the various bbl options of Pac-Lite out of curiousity.

Antlers, is yours the hi-viz or standard black front sight?
He was shooting clay pigeons with it that we propped up against the target frame at 25 yards, from a solid rest, and he was hitting them most of the time. Most of his shooting was from closer in, and off-hand. We never did really shoot it for groups. It had a shallow V-notch rear sight, and the Hi-Viz optical front sight. I, personally, would like it better if it had the regular Ruger grip frame. I could probably live with the lawyer stuff (locking mechanism, and loaded chamber indicator). It seemed plenty accurate to me. I really liked the barrel length. I liked the sights too.

Incidentally, as far as revolvers go, the SP-101 in .22 would be a good one. I don't believe that Ruger chambers the SP-101 in .22 anymore, so it would have to be obtained used. But they are built hell for stout. The rear sight is only adjustable for windage. But they are quality, rugged revolvers, and it would make a good trail gun also.
My buddy has the Hi-Viz front sight on his Ruger, and a shallow V-notch on the rear...it has a white line on it; I have the standard factory sights that came on my Buck Mark Micro Standard SS URX...I like them too.
Agreed on SP-101, looked up the company for Walther sights in past was MMC...

Back in the 1970s, a company called Michigan Machine Co. (MMC) made an adjustable sight for the PPK. The late, great gun writer Skeeter Skelton had one on his personal PPK.
Posted By: model70man Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/29/08
I have several Woodsman pistols, most of them pre-war. If I were looking at a "sleeper" quality .22 semi-auto I would go for a Hi-Standard 104 Sport King or some similar model within the line. I have a 104 and like it extremely well plus it has the great added feature of push button barrel release. I think the quality is as good as the Woodsman pistols and much more affordable. Just my opinion though. thanks...Bill.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/29/08
SIG Trailside shoots like a target pistol, because it it based on one.

A nice thing about the Browning Buckmark is the built-in bases for scope rings.

The S&W .22s have a Picattiny type rail on top of the barrel, from rear sight to front. They are very easy to field strip and clean, and don't have any small parts coming out in the process.
Posted By: g5m Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/29/08
Agreed on SP-101, looked up the company for Walther sights in past was MMC...

Back in the 1970s, a company called Michigan Machine Co. (MMC) made an adjustable sight for the PPK. The late, great gun writer Skeeter Skelton had one on his personal PPK.

I believe that was Miniature Machine Company, in New Mexico. I bought several of their sights.
Back around 1980 or so, I spied a nickel Sport King, short barrel in the local store, and I was really interested, those original High S. were nice but price put me into a Ruger Mk II shortly after, the first year the Mark 2's came out.

Thanks for reminding me of the Sport King, keep an eye out..

Yeah, just looked up a 104 on auction site, that was the model I believe I remember but in nickel finish. That might be the ticket for what I was looking for, shame the old High Standard co. did not thrive.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/29/08
My first new handgun was a Sport King, purchased on my 21st birthday. Then I got a Duramatic, an Olympic Citations, an ISU RapidFire...

I still hunt squirrels and rabbits with the Duramatic and Sport King. Great pistols.
Posted By: gregory Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/29/08
The Challenger with the 4" target bbl or my favorite is the Model 63 Smith
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/30/08
I have narrowed my choice down to an older S&W Model 63, with a 4 inch barrel.
It does everything I need in a trail gun.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/30/08
I've got a Ruger MK 11 with a 4" bull barrel. I've hit 9 out of 10 clay birds with it at 50 yards off hand. That being said, my favorite trail gun is a 3" S&W lightweight kit gun.
Good luck on your search!
Virgil B.
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/30/08
Sam,

+1 on the 63.I have an older model 63 that was my go-to trail and carry gun for years. But, my eyes started to require more detail, and a single sighting plane. Thus the scoped Buckmark, which has been terrific for squirrels and prairie dogs.

The only thing worse than getting older is the alternative.

Steve
Posted By: sigguy Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/30/08
I really like Smith revolvers, esp the Mod 17 and 617. The can be a bit bulky, but are accurate and fun to shoot. Really small and light 22's have always been hard for me to shoot. I had a Smith 317, and couldn't hit a barn with it.

Look around for an older Browning Nomad. These are built better than the Buckmarks, and are easy to find used for $350 or less. I've had a couple and all are shooters. Beretta 87's are about as small as I've gone and still had some accuracy.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/30/08
I have had a lot of different 22 Pistols & revolvers. The ones that stand out were the High Std. Sport King, S&W K 22 6", Some of the Ruger MK 2 22 Automatic, Colt 22 Challenger, One I own now that I like is the Norinco copy of the Walther Olympian very accurate. I had a Walther 22 PPKS with the MMC sight to small for field accuracy for me. My favorites that I own now are the
S&W K 22 6", Colt Challenger 4", & the Norinco copy of the Walther Olympian around $130 new! I spent a lot of years looking for the ideal 22 pistol. Very subjective to persons grip
& balance and overall shootability.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/30/08
sigguy, I have a 70S that does well, but the front sight needs to be higher, it shoots high, but NEVER misfires or fails to feed. More heft and sight radius would not be bad. My old HB 17 w/TT TH, was the right size/weight but the 617 was too much weight.....as you say KK, very subjective.

VB, is that Mark 2 4" bull the 45 grip, or old style? Blue/SS?

So Did COLT and BROWNING both make Challengers?

Not familiar with the Olympian, but do remember a Star with 2 bbl lengths it seems, decent weight bbl semi-auto, just looked up the walther O, looks similar to the Star.. which is Spanish I believe. Awhile back someone perhaps Daewood made a PP clone mfg. in China, in 22, but never seen one.

Not sure the USFA co. ever got around to mfg. the Woodsman in 'Oct. '07" as they planned.

Keep my eyes peeled for an older classic perhaps like a Nomad, Colt, or High Standard in 4 or 4.5" as they will be the right size/wt. and triggers likely crisp. Just being in the hot humid deep south, a stainless, or at least nickel would be preferable to minimize rust during adverse conditions. Keep my blued guns wiped down, but a SS you can forget and not get a 'surprise' a few days down the road.

The Smith 63 one gent stated may be a great packer, just recall I wanted a tad larger grip which is when I sold my 34 (blue J frame cousin) and got the 17. Old style 17 in SS would be JUST the ticket for a 22 LR revolver in 4" if they made one....

Wonder if the factory will still add a nickel finish to their blued guns, if you have some $$$ The double actions load/unload a bit quicker which helps if you are plinking and bent on burning a brick of ammo on an afternoon.

Yep, thought I remember seeing this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=111356513

If a 4" and the price was right......be hard for me to resist. Like shorties for carry.
Looked and found....Smith did make a stainless 'kit gun' 22 mag cousin to 63...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=110608226

For a jacketed bullet option, it would give deeper penetration on something if needed, seems Bob Milek used 22 mag Ruger Single Six on a mountain lion, brain shot w/ FMJ.

4" would be loud, but crank speeds to 1300 or better, big improvement, but I'm happy w/LR speeds for my use, and the costs of ammo trumps the mag for me.

Posted By: rost495 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/30/08

My 329 dumps all my reloads of 240s into a ragged hole at 25 yards. Sights are not the best but fine for a handgun, It'll shoot my deer loads of 180 jhps minute of deer out to 100 yards, haven't tried it past there.
It shoots my bear load of hardcast 270s around 2 inches or a bit more at 25 and a bit high, but just fine there.

The 317 is a light 22, I've fondled them at shows before, but I refuse to pack more weight anymore. Its not that they aren't accurate, its that some can't learn to shoot a light rifle or pisotl.

Jeff
Posted By: DMB Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/30/08
I don't think there is one bad gun recommendation from any of the guys above, and I'd be more than happy to own them all.. grin
I was on a Smith Model 63 search a few years ago, but that faded. I could get back on that search in a heartbeat though... grin
Colt Woodsmans, the Sig Trailside, the Smith "K's", and all the rest are high up on my love list.. grin
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/30/08

Anyone know?

Get a Ruger MkII or MkIII and put a Pac-Lite assembly on top. Keep the Ruger balance, get rid of the weight, and improve on already very good accuracy.

Hard to not like that.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/30/08
Right now, my go-to .22 for fishing, killing rats and pesty squirrels or pigeons around the sheds, is a Taurus 640 stainless revolver with adjustable sights, a S&W 63 clone.
Lee, another gunshow find, a Taurus SS 94 or 941, 9shot in a seldom seen no longer mfg. 3", my buddy w/me was interested, I recommended he buy it, a widow who's husband died and it was NIB or looked never fired, in box, he has been happy. Stopped making that high gloss in 3" IIRC. Nice piece. Does that 640 have the key lock, and is it a 4" bbl? Had a 425 in 41 mag that had the key lock, always concerned me, porting was loud too, but did keep down muzzle rise, overall decent build quality for money.

On the Pac-Lites I have read some strong reports by many so it would be a viable option, even perhaps a 5.5" to increase sight radius as I hear they lower gun wt. by 3/4 Lb based on this:

http://www.gunblast.com/TacticalSol-Realtree.htm

http://www.gunblast.com/Pac-Lite-22Barrels.htm

I may be re-kindling my interest in searching for the ideal...trail 22, so I may have to run through a few guns to decide. At least 22 ammo is currently a bargain, esp. in econ bulk brick form.
Ok, looked up, the 640 and 940 come in a 40, Lee yours must be the 941. Got it. Sure wish EVERY snub 2" gun was 3" instead, I shot an old 3" once, brand unknown and hit very well w/it, but a 2" I don't think gives me enough site radius, and velocity must be down. At least there are many 4" options from many brands.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/30/08
BTW I should add I"m worried about weight, you may have other issues, the 22 would be secondary to other firearms and it may be main to you and as such your needs may be very different than ours, and at the moment the wife carries the 329 as bear medicine and we keep it zero'd with medium 240s that will do just fine on small game.. but stoked wiht 270s just in case...
Oh yes the 22 is not my sole nor would be primary arm for any larger target (Smith 65 w/ silvertips for defense), I am not in bear country when packing a 22, I'd happily pack a 329 or similar 41 (357 PD) or perhaps a 10mm (w/right loads). My use of packing would be when hiking/camping canoeing in areas where I am not sure of gun regs, so open hip carry might not be desirable....but I'd rather the option to be alive fighting over that in court vs 6 ft under if you know what I mean. For defense, it'd be last ditch (though a cylinder or clip of 22's center mass SHOULD make someone ill-or the presence alone might avoid that happening), but again, most of it's intended use other than that.

Rost, given the light weight of the alloy Smiths I MIGHT give some new thought as to 'caliber options' as you do have a good point, VERSATILITY. Still want a lighter 22 if anything while my 11 year old is still growing.....he can handle it. Later, as big as the charts put him, the Bull Rugers will be light in his hand!

Rost, not sure, but I assume those new alloy guns are rust resistant/proof thru and thru? Good/better than stainless? Thought they may have a bbl liner....some type steel.
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/30/08
65BR

Here's a thought. You got a lot of excellent advice concerning a lot of excellent guns. So why not just pick one and end this thread? Or you may just enjoy the search process. Lot of gun loonies, myself included,do.

Steve
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/30/08
THE PRE-WAR WOODSMAN PISTOLS WERE VERY COMPACT, WITHOUT EXCESS WEIGHT OR MASS. MOST HAD 6" BARRELS. YOU COULD FIND A SHOOTER GRADE EXAMPLE
AND SET IT UP TO YOUR LIKING.
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 09/30/08
THE PRE-WAR WOODSMAN PISTOLS WERE VERY COMPACT, WITHOUT EXCESS WEIGHT OR MASS. MOST HAD 6" BARRELS. YOU COULD FIND A SHOOTER GRADE EXAMPLE
AND SET IT UP TO YOUR LIKING.
Originally Posted by half_whit
http://www.usfirearms.com/pages/woodsman_press_release.asp only one i know of. maybe try a sig trailside?

Wow! That would suit your requirements!
Steve, I agree, and likely will be going thru a few different ones to try. I appreciate all the ideas, several options that should work fine for what I need to do with it.

Thanks all, enjoyed hearing what has worked well for you guys.
Posted By: Outcast Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 10/01/08
65BR,

I'm kinda a .22 pistol looney. The Woodsman is pretty muzzel lite it is not as easy to shoot well as some of the others.

The Buckmark and the Smith 22A are both fine pistols. They are physically a little bigger than a Woodsman but don't weigh any more. They are both easier to hit with-at least for me.

Original High Standards have the accuracy standard to beat. Some versions are roughly the size/weight of a Woodsman.

No one mentioned the Walther P22. It's smaller than any of the above. You can get a combo pac with both long and short barrels.Lite and unnoticable on the hip. Big plus is the darn things are very accurate.

Suppose I should add, I own all the above and have put thousands of rounds thru each. No problems.

O

Posted By: Lee24 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 10/02/08
Yes, 65BR, my Taurus is a 941, 4-inch barrel, polished stainless.
It is easy to keep clean outdoors, and pretty darn accurate.
It shoots almost as well as my Smith Kit Gun, and feels just like it. A lot of rats and squirrels have been clobbered with it, in both single and double action mode. It is a lot handier to carry and pack than a Buckmark or SW22. But I have them all, plus Pardini, Fiocchi, and S&W 41. $300 buys a lot of pistol.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 10/02/08
They have a barrel liner from what I know. I ultra bore coated my barrel just to be safe as I don't really worry much about my guns, they are to be used, not babied.
As a result there are still a few droplets of caribou blood on my 329 that Carolyn carries, tahts from 2003, hasn't rusted yet... and blood generally speeds that up...

BUT I cannot confirm they are rust proof by any means....

My thoughts would be that a Ti gun, 4 inch, adjustable sights, along the lines of the 327/357 would be just ideal, 32 or 38s or the mags as needed....

Jeff
Posted By: DPhillips Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 10/02/08
Even though you mention a dislike for super lightweights, I have a Smith Airlight 317 with the 3" barrel and it is very accurate with CCI Green Tag ammo. Accurate enough to centerpunch a few ptarmigan on a recent Brooks Range trip. I can't ask anymore for a "pot" gun than this little revolver delivers. It does require some practice to get used to a trigger pull heavier than the total gun weight, but if I can do it, anyone can...
Posted By: sigguy Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 10/04/08
sigguy, I have a 70S that does well, but the front sight needs to be higher, it shoots high, but NEVER misfires or fails to feed. More heft and sight radius would not be bad. My old HB 17 w/TT TH, was the right size/weight but the 617 was too much weight.....as you say KK, very subjective.

VB, is that Mark 2 4" bull the 45 grip, or old style? Blue/SS?

So Did COLT and BROWNING both make Challengers?

Not familiar with the Olympian, but do remember a Star with 2 bbl lengths it seems, decent weight bbl semi-auto, just looked up the walther O, looks similar to the Star.. which is Spanish I believe. Awhile back someone perhaps Daewood made a PP clone mfg. in China, in 22, but never seen one.

Not sure the USFA co. ever got around to mfg. the Woodsman in 'Oct. '07" as they planned.

Keep my eyes peeled for an older classic perhaps like a Nomad, Colt, or High Standard in 4 or 4.5" as they will be the right size/wt. and triggers likely crisp. Just being in the hot humid deep south, a stainless, or at least nickel would be preferable to minimize rust during adverse conditions. Keep my blued guns wiped down, but a SS you can forget and not get a 'surprise' a few days down the road.

The Smith 63 one gent stated may be a great packer, just recall I wanted a tad larger grip which is when I sold my 34 (blue J frame cousin) and got the 17. Old style 17 in SS would be JUST the ticket for a 22 LR revolver in 4" if they made one....

Wonder if the factory will still add a nickel finish to their blued guns, if you have some $$$ The double actions load/unload a bit quicker which helps if you are plinking and bent on burning a brick of ammo on an afternoon.

Yep, thought I remember seeing this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=111356513

If a 4" and the price was right......be hard for me to resist. Like shorties for carry.

Yeah, I think I'll have to look for a Beretta 22 semi auto. I think they make the best small 22 auto around. My old 87 never misfired, even with nasty cheap ammo. A 70 would be nice too.

The newer plastic 22's are ok, but lack the quality feel of the older all metal guns. Nice Smith steel Kit guns are getting harder to find, and expensive!

I found a really nice Browning Nomad for $300 that is calling my name......have to find a holster for that one.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 10/04/08
Lee, owned a 41 5.5", for a target gun, could not hit much better when off the bags than my Rugers, but it DID shoot, great balance/sights/trigger, when plinking I just missed the easy to grap 'bolt ears' on the Rugers, when shooting clip after clip on a plinking afternoon. Also, it seemed to want/need cleaning more than I could get by on the Ruger, small inconvenience I'd suppose for a sweet shooter. A long bbl scoped 41 should give my Comp. Slab Ruger a good run..... Owning a Pardini, etc. says it all, they don't come much better. Thought in the past of buying a TOP shelf target gun like that or a Hammerli, when they had models now disc. as it seems practical to get a match grade gun, ready to shoot out the box, w/o any mods/work. $$$$ prevented from ever aquiring my first.

Being a 'Sig Guy' surprised you sigguy did not mention the mosquito, but heard mixed reviews, price is right, the gun and ammo vs other sigs....yes, the older Berettas were SOLID guns. My 70s Never misses a beat. If it were stainless and sights regulated.....would be hard to ignore that one, living in a very humid climate...just makes things 'worryless' having Stain Less...as it were, saw the Smith 651 recently go for a hefty sum, so YES going up and up. Perhaps they will make a comeback...up to Smith. The Nomad were said to be solid guns.

Present is a 3" S&W Airlite .22 at ~ 13 oz.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 10/14/08
I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if it's been mentioned,.... but a S&W K-22 is an outrageously accurate handgun.

A K-frame Smith is a bit on the large side as far as .22's go,... but it's more proper to think of a 6" K-22 as a hand held carbine than it is a handgun.

I bought one a coupla years ago and I wouldn't be without it.
Posted By: johnw Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/02/09
i'm still thinking that i'd love to have a bearcat... i just like the things... several friends own originals...

back when i was fresh out of the army, i had a landlord who carried his bearcat everywhere in thr front pocket of his bibs... he ran a small construction firm and paid his hands in cash....
as he left the bank one payday two guys grabbed him and flashed a knife in his face... he was the wrong guy to grab at anyway, bull strong and about as excitable as a stump.... as it turned out, he always had that bearcat in his hand when he left the bank... he crotch shot the knife guy and split the other guys head open with his huge fist...
i heard that he died last year, at his retirement home in florida... bet the little bearcat was still with him...
Posted By: biglmbass Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/02/09
I picked up a SS Bearcat on Christmas eve from a local gunshop. Have wanted one for quite awhile. Have heard they're hit and miss on accuracy, but they've got the small size going for them which is what I was interested in. Haven't shot mine yet, but can tell the stainless front sight is hard to see. Really wish these were avail w/ adjustable sights.

Another I'd like to have is a S&W model 63. Know they're being made again, but I refuse to buy one w/ the lock on the sideplate.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/02/09
My trail guns:

Left side:

Smith 17-6
Smith Pre model 18
Smith 63-nothing

Right side:

Colt Huntsman x2
Walther PP

Bottom:
Ruger MKII with Gemtech can

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/02/09
This is truly an older post but a used Mark II Ruger with a Pac-Lite upper seems closer than anything that matches your criteria.

I carry a 4 in 651 Smith. It is loaded with WRF ammo when I want to pot a grouse. Otherwise Winchester 40 gr HP's in the first cylinder.

I carry three snakeshot up front in the summer though.

I have a 22 Rossi and a couple of Taurus revolvers for cheaper practice.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/02/09
Very late chiming in here, but here goes...

I have used the following as .22 trail guns:

Jennings J-22 (honest). Utterly worthless for accuracy, but makes for an ideal wader pocket gun with shot loads. Zinc won't rust. Still have it in a tackle box - somewhere.

Taurus PT-22. Not very accurate, the long trigger pull is hard to manage; it never fed right because the magazine clip kept allowing the mag to drop down a hair. Sold.

Ruger Mark I auto. The 4" skinny barrel left the gun very butt-heavy. I was always afraid it would fall out of the holster as a result. I upgraded to a target barrel to solve that and found the thing too heavy to carry comfortably. Sold.

Ruger Bearcat. Have two originals and gave the better one to my daughter. The grungy one shoots two inches left no matter what I do to the front sight. Still carry the thing simply because it is so delightfully dainty. Too beat up to sell.

Ruger Single-six. More accurate than almost any other gun I own, with either cylinder. I understand that is unusual, but this one is. It won't ever be sold.

High-Standard. It wasn't mine, so I couldn't alter or change the big thumbrest target grips on it. Except for that, it would have been a great trail gun. Gave back to owner after a couple weeks.

I know a guy who made a very clever mod to a Single-Six Convertible. He bought a third cylinder for it, in .22LR and then had three of the chambers reamed for 22 WMR. That allows him to have three shots each of .22LR and .22 Mag in the gun at the same time. The chambers are individually stamped to avoid confusion. He can either quickly rotate the cylinder by opening the gate (it's a transfer bar model) or simply cock and lower the hammer several times to get the loads he wants. Slick.
Posted By: passport Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/02/09
What about rifles? The Winchester 61 and 62A were both take down modles as was the Remington 121. All were accurate and light....
Posted By: trapperJ Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/02/09
I bought a S&W 317 not to long ago and it seems to be the perfect trail gun for me. Fits in my coat pocket and you never notice it.Does take some practice to shoot accuretly.

Had to send it back to Smith because it was out of time.Now it shoots minute of ptarmigan.
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/02/09

A lot of great input.

I like revolvers. Have had & used a single six, a Colt SAA .22, two
Smith & Wesson M17's, and two Ruger Standard autos.

My current favorite is a 1953 K-22. Light enough to carry, big enough to shoot
well.

Posted By: Eremicus Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/02/09
The 317 Smith has a SS barrel liner, and an alloy clynder. Weighs 12.5 ozs. empty. It's grip fills the hand alot better than the does those on the older steel kit guns. Have owned both.
I find I can't consistantly shoot accurately, say 2 inch groups much over 15 yds. That's plenty for an occasional grouse or a rabbit, however.
A big step up is my SS Ruger Convertible. With a 5.5 inch barrel and a load of .22 JHP's, it weighs 37 ozs. That one shoots 2 inch groups all day long at 25 yds.
Because the .22 mag ammo is designed for rifle velocities of 1900 fps, when shot from a handgun at 1400-1550 fps., they hold together very well and penetrate alot better than you'd think. Out of a handgun, they anchor jack rabbits reliabily, for instance. Lots of treed lions have met their end with the same 40 gr., jacketed HP load.
Wouldn't be my first choice to argue with a black bear, but some have done that and more and made it work. I've carried mine for years in black bear country. Pretty rare to have a problem with a black bear. BTW, at close range, the shot load will kill small rattle snakes.
For an 11 yr. old, I wouldn't start him out on a really light .22. At 11 yrs., I started out on that old Woodsman and am glad I did. Pistols are much harder to shoot well than rifles. Make sure he gets one with a first class trigger, easily seen sights and enough weight to hold it steady. Frankly, that isn't the Smith 317. E
Posted By: dogzapper Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/02/09

I carry a Smith 317 AirLite almost everywhere I go and I find it to be close to the perfect "carry, when you wouldn't normally carry, gun." As such, it also comes very close to the perfect .22 trail handgun.

In spite of its lightness, I can shoot the 317 tolerably well.

I never shoot it double action, so I'm seriously thinking of having the silly bobbed hammer replaced with a normal 'kit gun' hammer. The existing one is really hard for an old fart like me to cock and it tends to rip the skin off my thumb. Like a million other things in my life, I just haven't gotten around to doing the hammer replacement.

Steve
Posted By: GunGeek Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/02/09
The Ruger standard with either 4" or 6" barrel at 35 & 37 oz.

S&W model 34 or 63 with square butt grips at 26oz. S&W makes a 5" version of the 63 right now at 28.8oz/

Buckmark Challenge at 25 oz

Posted By: 65BR Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/03/09
Great info, not known it was still running.

Nice pics, Mackay, nice array of 22s for sure, the PP 22 was always a 'want' of mine, with an aftermarket adj. site. So I sprung for an Astra Constable for less dough.

It seems overall, many older guns no longer mfg. are in many ways to my mind superior to what is offered now. Thanks for all who shared what is working well for you.

Happy New Year.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/03/09
I didn't read all of this.... but I'll toss in my thoughts anyway.
A trail gun means many things to me.

If it's the only firearm I'll be carrying that day, it'll be my Ruger SP101 with 180 gr Black Talon loads. A speed loader full of .38 spcl goes along.

If I'm carrying a rifle, I'll pack my SW kit gun, a model 63 SS with 4" barrel in .22Lr.

If a bow - back to the Ruger.

Whether protection or plinking, those two handguns cover a lot of ground.
Posted By: johnw Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/03/09
This is truly an older post but

nah...
this post aint old... last year this time i happened across a post from 2000-2001, on which a several of the posters had either passed on to the next world or stopped frequenting this board....
that was an old post... but the subject interested me so i formed my reply.....
here's a link to that one... http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=14557
Posted By: Siskiyous6 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/03/09
My Bearcat just got too hard to hit with as the sights blurred during my graceful ageing. Maybe someday I could get a Hamilton Bowen model with visible sights.

The model 63 Smith and Wesson is my favorite .22 and always will be. Many, many grouse came to dinner at the point of that gun.

But if I was starting over I would get a Smith in 22 Magnum, or a Bowen 22 mag Bearcat for a trail gun, and might get one for walking about during the golden years.

But, for trail guns I really like a cat, bear, deer, and scum caliber like my 625. That Taurus Tracker would make a great trail gun too. Not the best for grouse, but I have a lightweight T/C Contender carbine in 28 Gauge that makes up for my poor eyesight right handily.

Posted By: Jaywalker Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/03/09
I've had a Beretta 87 (now called "Cheetah") for 15 years or so. (A pic of somebody else's at: http://boldt.us/PAGOA/beretta_87_cheetah_22LR_2.jpg It weighs 19 ounces, is well made, smooth to cycle, and has never bobbled anything I fed it. I did recently spend some money to have a gunsmith extend the trigger stop on the back of the trigger to prevent excessive overtravel, but since I'd had it that long, I guessed I was going to keep it.

(The same relaibility and smoothness was true for my 70S, with either the 3.5" or the 6" barrels, but I could never get used to the funky looks.) (Off topic, but rumor had it that Mossad used the 70S on all of the 1972 Olympic terrorists they tracked down - team set them up, surrounded them, and all fired many shots at the same time. FWIW, but if believable, it's evidence of pretty fair reliability.)

I had a nickel Smith 34 25 years ago during a period of Smith's QC problems. It was a nice, neat package with apparently good fit and finish, bit the chambers must have been pretty rough - almost had to hammer the extractor rod to remove empties. I never could get used to bright, reflective sights, either - couldn't see daylight on either side of the front, but maybe that was just me.
Posted By: johnw Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/03/09
i guess you could say that i'm on the trail of a .22 trail gun...
i actyually walked a piece of the .22 trail yesterday... alas, lacking a .22 handgun, and my right arm immobilized in this confoyunded sling, there was no shooting done....
i did pick up a bearcat at a hasrdware store later in the day and i do believe that i coukld shoot it left handed... mentioned it to my wife as a possible birthday ghift and got "the look".... oh well, hrer birtday is a ways off yet, anyhow...
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/03/09
Originally Posted by bobmn
Most accurate: Pac-Lite upper receiver for a Ruger pistol from Tactical Solutions. Replace the factory trigger in the Ruger lower with a target trigger.
Smallest/lightest: S&W scandium 22 with 3" barrel
Best solution for a 22 trail gun which is small, light and accurate: Walther PP 22 long rifle. Replace rear fixed sight with a more prominent adjustable rear sight.

I would think for hitting plinking/small game targets that Walther would also need a major trigger job. I am on my second PPK and while it is fine for a defense piece, it wouldn't do for a trail gun because of the trigger....and the sights, as you mention.

If I'm going to carry a .22, its either a Ruger single action (usually with the mag cylinder) or an old Browning Challenger with a 6 inch barrel. If I'm feeling really lazy, I carry my daughter's Bearcat.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/03/09
65BR,
My Ruger auto is a standard blue frame with the 4" BB. Balance is perfect for me. It has checkered thumbrest target grips on it, robbed from a goverment slabsid that was traded. I was at a gunshow last month, and saw a MK 111 stainless standard frame w/ fluted 4" BB Now that really grabbed my attention! If I'da had the loot it would have follered me home!
Virgil B.
Posted By: stray round Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/03/09
My experience with the Walther is a little different than Steve No's. I've used a Walther PPK in .380 on quite a few critters,mostly skunks, groundhogs and poisonous snakes, and only because it was what I've had on hand the most. The 380 with Fed Hydra Shok works suprisingly well on varmits.

For .22s I like the Ruger standard auto as it is accurate and reliable or the S&W 63.

However the best for me has been a Smith 631 in 32 mag. The 32 with light loaded wadcutters is very effective on small game but you can use magnum loads for varmits or town. My .32 has proven more accurate than the Model 63 in 22lr.

I'd like to give the Ruger sp101 in .327 a try and a little single action in that caliber would be extra nice.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/03/09
Virgil, agreed, its a sexy looking piece, if you can call a gun that....BUT, the MkIII turn me off, hate the changes and will not own, nor come to like or accept them. They 'shot themselves in the foot' IMHO when changing something that was fine 'as is' other than barrel/sight config.

That 327 esp if mfg in 4" sp101 looks to be a nice dual role small game/varmint/2-legged varmint in a compact package. Had a 380 in college, the France assembled Manhurin Walther PPK/S, and kick myself as then they made a nickel in 22, and it would have been much more economical and I think accurate. Sold it off but 88 and 90 gr Hps went zing, 231 powder and unique, had loads clocked over 1100, pounding slide had to back down but it was fun. Have 3 5.5 Bull and 1 slab side MKII but all too heavy as they are, Pac-Lite would be an option to look at. Like Smiths but again as Ruger, they had to change a good thing for lawyers and do a key lock which is not attractive and reports on rare occasion there are problems, so I'll look for older models.

IF Smith did a no lock k frame 327 as the 617, 4", that would be handy, nice action and trigger. I could see a niche for a Single Six in 327, 5.5 and 4 5/8" models, SS of course. Bearcat could work with 5 shot cylinder I believe. Be a handful perhaps with full loads.
Posted By: eh76 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/03/09
I'm kind of partial to J frame S&W's

Posted By: rifle Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/04/09
I picked a S&W 18 many years ago and still do today....
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/04/09
Another 22 trail gun would be the Kimber 1911-22LR. Alumnum frame and slide. Don't recall the weight, but it's lighter than my MK11 4" BB. Mine seems to have some jaming problems. If a new magazine dosen't fix it, it's going down the road. Might have to try the Beretta.
Virgil B.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/04/09
I have yet to find a .22 trail hand gun that pleases, or satisfies me as well as a S&W model 34 or 63.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bighorn Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/04/09
Nice photo!!

Mine is a little more beat up from years of use, but still functions perfectly.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/04/09
I agree, the SW 63 is a great little trail gun. A sweet heart to teach newbies with as well.

My elk hunting pal just picked up the newer SW J frame .357 with a 5" barrel. It has adj sights and is an awesome little piece. Same weight as my 63 and lighter than my Ruger SP101.
Since magnum ammo is rarely needed, but often carried.... the gun is a very flexible fire arm.
Posted By: doubletap Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/04/09
Nice gun. The only one I've found that I like better is the model 43. Same gun in airweight version. Only 14 ounces, you forget you are carrying it until you need it.

Norm
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/04/09
Here's the boys when they were young, shooting the SW 63 in .22 lr and my SW 19 with wad cutters. They loved these little impromptu shooting sessions smile
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/04/09
Smith M51 22Magnum

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pugs Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/04/09
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have yet to find a .22 trail hand gun that pleases, or satisfies me as well as a S&W model 34 or 63.

Have the exact same gun. Would like to have the trigger pull lightened and the action smoothed a bit.
Posted By: duckster Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/04/09
I have a BuckMark and like it very well for a accurate little knock around .22 pistol. A .22 mag handgun would be nice as well.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/04/09
Who likes the little Ruger Bearcat? Do they suffer from the Ruger rimfire relatively inaccurate disease?
Posted By: johnw Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/05/09
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Who likes the little Ruger Bearcat? Do they suffer from the Ruger rimfire relatively inaccurate disease?

i've been craving for one since i was 10 years old...

i have owned a smith 17 and a 63... both perfectly fine and accurate revolvers, but i've always itched for that bearcat... seversal friends own them, and some are more accurate than others... i've been told that i look ridiculous holding them... i'm a pretty large guy...

i'm not real big into handguns, and most of them lose my attention and get traded or sold to acquire rifles....
i think that if a bearcat comes my way, it will stay... accuracy will not be a big factor.....
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/05/09
Steelhead;

I got play with a SW 51 for a while... 3" or 3.5" barrel IIRC.
It was a wonderful revolver and very accurate, but I had to return it to it's owner.

I bought a Taurus 94 (i think thats the model )in .22 mag to satisfy that itch. I didn't like the Taurus anywhere near as much.
It was accurate enough, but a fired cylinder full would be a bitch to eject..? I'd have to lean pretty hard on the ejector rod to punch them out.

Although I killed quite a few ground squirrels with the .22 mag, I found that I could do the same job easier and for pretty much the same cost with my .38 spcl.

Great little revolver, that 51.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/05/09
A High-Standard Sport King LW is an excellent choice, and a S&W 22-32 Kit Gun with a 3" barrel is my favorite.
Posted By: eh76 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/05/09
Don't know what happened to my picture ( I must have screwed up) but here it is again.... [Linked Image] I like j frame S&W's what can I say? Model 34's, a 63 and 2 651's
Posted By: luv2safari Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/05/09
It's now official...I HATE you!! mad smirk

...don't want to sell one, do you...trades?? whistle
Posted By: Frisco_Pete Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/05/09
I'll chime in and say I like my Buck Mark better than my old Ruger Mk for balance and takedown. It is very accurate and reliable - moreso than the Ruger MKIIs my buds own and have shot lately on our outings. A guy who used to tune triggers for Browning did my trigger. I'll take one any day over a Ruger.

I have an original Ruger Bearcat. Really nice little packing SA and a terrific starting handgun for my daughter. I think that the rudimentary notch sights are the biggest hindrance to accuracy with that handgun - but I ain't sellin'!
My son has the bigger Single-Six and it is more accurate - or easier to be more accurate with. Good outfit.

My brother had a Colt Woodsman and it was really terrific (but really no better than the Buck Mark), I just don't want to pay what they are asking on the market for them.

I always thought the S&W Kit gun would be a great trail gun - I just haven't gotten around to getting one yet.

Another discontinued "sleeper" .22 auto I have experience with (owned by a shootin' bud) is the S&W 2206. Same size as the Buck Mark and a fabulous shooter - if you find one on the market for a decent price - BUY!!

Posted By: GreyHunter Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/06/09
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Smith M51 22Magnum

[Linked Image]

Steelhead, what is the barrel length on your 51 ?
Posted By: 65BR Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/07/09
Frisco, about 12 or so years back I had a MKII SS std. 4 3/4, did a trigger hone myself, and I would put it against anything I have shot....crazy how good it was, and after that, it hit wherever you aimed it,,,,,and it was another of many I sold.

Also, had a 34, 4", sold it, wanted a larger grip, bought a 17-4, HB 4", TT TH, etc. Patridge sight, and it was perfect in my hand, tight times after being married in college allowed a truck driver to take it away.....rarely see them.

I am looking hard at a SS URX 4.5 or 5.5 but I had spied a Sport King SK-100 or something like that, as new....fit real well in hand, 4.5"..(going to call the shop about that HS and see if its still around)...something about older 'quality' good quality steel - hand finished parts that sucks me in.....or green out the wallet...

Like a 1906 Smith 44 "Hand Ejector" 5" nickel (not factory done-killed value), I let go for a SONG....it was slicker than a Python I had once.....just are not made like they were back in the day!
Posted By: biglmbass Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/07/09
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Don't know what happened to my picture ( I must have screwed up) but here it is again.... [Linked Image] I like j frame S&W's what can I say? Model 34's, a 63 and 2 651's

Fine collection there, Elk. Just the way I like and prefer then too, sans the sideplate lock.
Correction, must be 17-5 I had. Made around 85-88.
Posted By: eh76 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/07/09
smile Me too. I refuse to buy a new S&W with the idiot lock!
Posted By: bea175 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/07/09
I have a number of trail carry pistols but my favorite is my Colt Woodsman.
[Linked Image]
Nice, I'd be happy with that one!
Posted By: Lee24 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/08/09
Taurus 940 stainless, High Standard Duramatic, Ruger MkII.
Posted By: atkinsonhunting Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/08/09
Just reading this thread will tell you that about any 22 pistol is a good trail gun..I have used the same old Smith and Wesson Kit gun, 4" barrel, for the last 60 years, so far it has suited me to a T.......
Posted By: 458Win Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/08/09
Ray, you must be getting pretty long in the tooth - I've only been using S&W kit guns a little over 40 years - and like you have yet to find anything I like better.
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/09/09
I'd like mine to have a 6 in barrel these days....
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/09/09
Me too. With bead sights and a long sight radius. Makes it seem more like a carbine.... And the fact that it is the slimmest, sexiest, most comfy,('no cylinder lump' in a shoulder holster), combined with a weight that rivals a pac-lited ruger....... Well, gotta go with a first series Woodsman target.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/09/09
I have used a stainless 4" Kit Gun, and it worked great, but my father's Colt Frontier Scout is as light, so just kept using it. Luckily the the fixed sights shoot right to point-of-aim for me with most .22 LR ammo, so it has worked well for a lot of stuff for 35 years now. When I am really serious about small game though I carry my Ruger Mark II slabside, which is accurate anough to headshoot rabbits out to 40 yards.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/09/09
My 6" K frame .22 gets the nod for head shooting bunnies with a .22.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/09/09
Cool pic
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/09/09
That being said,

I like the challenge of head shooting the big desert Jacks with my .44s the most:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/09/09
I believe it's a 3 1/2" barrel.
Posted By: croldfort Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/09/09
I have a 70's SS 3" Charter Pathfinder revolver that I bought new and returned to the factory and had the cylinder rebored to .22mag. It is my favorite .22 trail gun. I have 3 Ruger .22LR auto's. A MK 1, MK 11, and MK 111.
Posted By: HawkI Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/09/09
[Linked Image]

Hi-Standard HD Mil is another good one

I still like K-22's...
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/09/09
I have carried the long barrel old model Colt Woodsman for a trail gun my entire life. My late dad was a fan of the Woodsman and he got me one when I was young. I got my carry permit at 18 yo so its been over half a century.

I carry the Woodsman in my back pocket barrel up, chamber empty.

I have blasted a lot of porkupines with it and I did dispatch one buck with it.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Ol` Joe Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/09/09
I like my 6" Smith K22. As has been said, it shoots like a rifle.

MacKay_Sagebrush, when did S&W shroud the ejector on the K22?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: olblue Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/09/09
Used to carry a Ruger Bearcat I bought round about 1959, it was and still is a tack driver when I can see the sights well enough,lots of coons, cottontails, grouse, and numerous sparrow & starlings over the years. Now I mostly carry a Smith Mod 43 Airweight Kit Gun as I can see the sights better. Sometimes carry my Colt Match Target Woodsman 4.5 in barrel it too shoots like a rifle. --- Mel
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/10/09
Originally Posted by antlers

Incidentally, as far as revolvers go, the SP-101 in .22 would be a good one. I don't believe that Ruger chambers the SP-101 in .22 anymore, so it would have to be obtained used. But they are built hell for stout. The rear sight is only adjustable for windage. But they are quality, rugged revolvers, and it would make a good trail gun also.

I have an SP-101 in 22 Long Rifle. I love it. Excellent trail gun and has dispatched many flailing critters. Never leave the camphouse without it.
Posted By: eh76 Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/10/09
Originally Posted by Ol` Joe
I like my 6" Smith K22. As has been said, it shoots like a rifle.

MacKay_Sagebrush, when did S&W shroud the ejector on the K22?

[Linked Image]

Had one like that....and traded it in a moment of sheer stupidity! crazy I try to avoid those moments now!
Posted By: HawkI Re: 22 Trail Guns.... - 01/10/09
Of course Colt made a fine packing 22 in the Police Positive Target to complement the Huntsman. They shoot silly.....

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire