Home
I was looking at a cloth bore cleaner and a friend has told me that I should get a coated one piece rod. Where? What's the majority of people using? Anyone using the cloth bore cleaner you just pull thru the bore?
The Boresnake works fine if you're not interested in removing all the fouling from the bore, or if you don't care if the cord breaks and leaves part of the "snake" stuck in the barrel.

I use one piece stainless, coated Deweys, and carbon fiber Tiptons. I also use Wipe-Out - a foam cleaner - and no longer have to scrub the bore.
I prefer Bore-Tech rods. I have had one of mine for almost 5 years and the coating is still in perfect condition. You can order one from Brownell's.

The rope style cleaner may be ok for taking in a pack when hunting in case of emergency, but not for regular cleanings.
Just me, I use Dewey and I have 2 rods sized for bore and barrel length for each long arm - my home and bench setup is a Sinclair cradle with 2 rod holders - mop and brush. I suspect the carbon fiber and other newer rods may in fact be better than Dewey but I find Dewey amply good enough and I already have them. If I were shopping today I might buy something else. Dewey are black and don't remind me to wipe the rod as often as I should but I have some English made rods coated in yellow that did remind me to wipe the rod so I've made it a habit.

Once upon a time this would have been impossible or silly since I was like Rick Jamison trying to own one of each rifle - in sequence since I obviously couldn't afford all at once. My gun collection has settled down in my 60's and I take better care of the ones I have. I think a bore sized rod that is not too long - and not too short it has to work with bore guides - is less likely to flex and this is better for the rod and better for the bore.

I do have Boresnakes in appropriate sizes for field and rushed use - especially handguns - and find them satisfactory and really all that is necessary for most purposes. Despite the possibility of sealed plastic bags I find Boresnakes a tad smelly for field carry in hunting season. I've been amused and sympathetic to the folks who post from time to time on removing a stuck Boresnake from a bore.

I'd buy from any of the usual suspects especially Sinclair or Brownell's (now the same ownership) but anyplace from Sportsman's Warehouse to Cabela's to a friendly local gun store - support your friendly local gun store if at all possible.
I'm cheap. I use a $7 plain steel rod, with $2 worth of electronic shrink tubing on it. Presto, coated rod.
I have Bore-Tech and Dewey rods. I like both, but the Bore-Tech gets way more use. The handle spins better and is much more comfortable in my hands.
Thanks, I found the bore tech and dewey's on Brownells website.
Hi, my name is Paul and I'm a rod-a-holic.

Seriously, I've tried most of them and have come to prefer the Tipton carbon fiber rods. The ideal rod for me would combine the Tipton rod and Bore-Tech handle.

In any event, make sure you have a well fitting jag, meaning with no abrupt edges to catch on the muzzle, and use a good bore guide.
I have a complete set of Tipton carbon fiber rods for rifles, everything from a .17 on up, also one for pistols. I really like them. For years I went with a one piece Belding and Mull for everything. When it finally gave up the ghost and I went to replace it my dealer told me they'd been out of business for years. I also have an Otis universal set (.22 - 12 gauge) of their cable system for when I'm going away somewhere. I've got boresnakes for all my shotgun gauges and for shotguns they're just the nuts. Pull one through the barrell(s) right after a round of trap, skeet, or sporting when the barrel's still warm and they work pretty well.
The main thing to remember about cleaning rods is to never, never actually introduce them into the bore of your rifle. To do so is to create the potential for all sorts of terrible things that would be absolutely disastrous to accuracy. You have been warned! grin
Dewey cleaning rods for me! Oh, when I have to actually use them! grin
Tipton carbon fiber rods
The only rod I will use is a one piece stainless steel rod, it is not abrasive like carbon fiber, even teflon and it does not cling to grit..Bench shooters have known that for ions...

I like the bore snakes. I use them most of the time with a good rod cleaning about twice a year..More bores are ruined by cleaning with rods than by shooting..lot of folks scrub the throats right out..I really don't want to get my bore squeeky clean, its not necessary, and if you do it may take half a dozen shots to get you gun shooting again..One pass with a bore snake is the equivelent of 190 clean patches...

breaking a bore snake string is pretty unlikely unless you just don't pay attention to the condition of the snake. I have had the same ones for I guess 5 years or so..That parachute cord type string would be pretty hard to frazzle IMO...
I have been replacing my Dewey rods as they wear out with Bore Tech rods and have been very happy with them.
Mike
I've used Dewey rods for years. About three years ago I bought a couple of Bore Tech rods and they are better than the Deweys in every way. The bearings are better and the handle is smaller and more comfortable. Being smaller means it doesn't hit the comb on monte carlo stocks. You also will need a good rod guide. Mt favorite is the Lucas, made by Mike Lucas. Good combo, nothing not to like. Too tight of a patch will cause the rod to bow and make contact with the bore. This is a bad thing.

1flier
"Straight" is a characteristic of a good cleaning rod.

-
I use 1 piece stainless steel cleaning rods made by Pro-Shot.
Dewey for serious stuff,Boresnake for hunting swipes....84 cent 1/4 dowel from the Home Depot for emergency swipage..don't laugh you've done it too! smile
Dewey along with a good bore guide is the way I fly.

Dober
Originally Posted by antlers
I use 1 piece stainless steel cleaning rods made by Pro-Shot.

+1, good rods and smooth roller bearing handles that are small enough not to hit the rifle comb.
Dewey is my preference.
Originally Posted by atkinson
The only rod I will use is a one piece stainless steel rod, it is not abrasive like carbon fiber, even teflon and it does not cling to grit..Bench shooters have known that for ions...

I like the bore snakes. I use them most of the time with a good rod cleaning about twice a year..More bores are ruined by cleaning with rods than by shooting..lot of folks scrub the throats right out..I really don't want to get my bore squeeky clean, its not necessary, and if you do it may take half a dozen shots to get you gun shooting again..One pass with a bore snake is the equivelent of 190 clean patches...

breaking a bore snake string is pretty unlikely unless you just don't pay attention to the condition of the snake. I have had the same ones for I guess 5 years or so..That parachute cord type string would be pretty hard to frazzle IMO...

fwiw,
While I still have coated Deweys that I'll run until they need replacement I would suggest there is a good deal of wisdom in the above post...fwiw & imho

Regards, Matt Garrett.
I bought an O.T.I.S.

No longer need rods.
Dewey. YOu can even order them with extensions for any length directly from Dewey. their coating is thick and will not chip off like the Boretechs.

Sent 4 Boretechs back two years ago and took 7 months for them to replace them.

Plus buy a Lucas bore guide.

BH
Tiptons for home.

Kleen Bore Universal (M-16 field type) when out in the field.

I take it you proponents of Bore Snakes and OTIS pull throughs for field use haven't fallen, tripped or dropped a gun getting a bore obstruction that needed to be cleared with a conventional rod.
I use Dewey rods too. I'm partial to them because they are the only ones I've found (up here) in 45 caliber and extra long lengths. Nothing worse than trying to clean a 36" 45-70 barrel full of black powder residue with a short 30 cal rod. That 45 caliber Dewey rod is nice and long and could be used as a walking stick if need be, it's that stiff.
A really good rod for the smaller bores was the stainless, uncoated one made by (or made for) Rig.

I cannot find it for sale any longer -- like most of the stuff I find to be good.

--Bob
Originally Posted by atkinson
......breaking a bore snake string is pretty unlikely unless you just don't pay attention to the condition of the snake. I have had the same ones for I guess 5 years or so..That parachute cord type string would be pretty hard to frazzle IMO...
I too was wondering how people break them....they gotta be the Hulk or something!. shocked
Tipton carbon fiber one pc.....
DEWEY - do we remember theeeeeeesssssssseeeeeee? laugh
Dewey coated and wipeout.
None better than Proshot.
Pro Shot Stainless for all the reasons mentioned thus far.
© 24hourcampfire