Home
Just curious to know, from those who have used both on game.... thanks in advance...
Your 6mm Remungton can't start a thread of pitiful hatred over 20 pages long, as the 257Wby vs 300Wby has.
Burn out barrels faster, cost you a small fortune in factory ammo; and kill big bodied game over 300 yards from your muzzle.

1B
The .257 is clearly the more powerfull cartridge.
By along shot. The 6mm is a great round, one that is very acurate and powerfull enough for deer sized game out to roughly 300 yards.
But I do not think I would use a 6mm on a game animal over about 400 LBs nor would I take it after somthing like a black bear.
Now the .257 weatherby is not evreyones idea of the best black bear round either but If I were hunting by glassing at a distance and spoted even a large black bear at say 250 yards and had a good bullet say a 115 grain TSX or a 120 grain partition,
seems like a really good combination to me.
Should roll that bear prety well, with a good hit. And with a better shot than me probably at a greater distance.
And while you could probably use a 6mm for caribu, in that open tundra country, not much would better than a .257 weatherby.
...tj3006
Roughly 3600 fps.
The 6mm Remington can get around 3200 fps out of a 100-grain bullet, the .357 Weatherby 3600 fps. The .257 Weatherby can also get 3400 fps out of a 120-grain bullet.

With 100-grain bullets the difference in trajectory is pronounced. With my own .257 Wby. sighted in 2" high at 100 yards, I can aim right in the middle of a mule deer's chest out to 400 yards and hit the buck in the heart.

With either 100- or 120-grain bullets the .257 Wby. generally hits deer-sized game noticeably harder. Of course, anything can happen with a typical lung shot, but most of the time the .257 will put them down quicker.

The 6mm Remington is a fine pronghorn and deer round, but the .257 Weatherby is a noticeable step upward. However, it also kicks more. To me the recoil is more like a .270's, and maybe even a little sharper. Whether or not that makes any difference depends of course on the shooter.
wow. i just ran those numbers at www.norma.cc with a MV of 3600 and 100 grain bullet with BC of .39 and the bullet is up 2 at 100, up 2.6 at 180, crossing zero at 283 and only down 8.4 inches at 400 yards. Holy cow.
According to reasoning found in these forums, the 308 works just as well as a 300 Wby. The 257 Wby vs. 300 Magnum debate has established that the 257 Wby works just as well as a big 30.

Using that same logic, the 6mm is pretty close to the big twenty-five. Therefore, are we to conclude that the 6mm is pretty much the same as the 30 Wby. So much for logic. I believe humans can convince themselves of silly thoughts given someone to agree with them and someone to put it in writing.
Q: What will a 257 Weatherby do that my 6mm Rem won't do?
A: Shoot a slightly larger bullet a lot faster.

Answer: The .257 Weatherby is spooky flat-shooting in the field. I've actually shot the two cartriges side-by-side and the trajectories are remarkably different.

Johnny is right about the practical game useage of the .257 Weatherby. It is one very amazing cartridge.

Steve
The 257 Wby is clearly superior to the 6mm Rem, if for no other reason than it pushes a heavier bullet faster, with that said the 6mm Rem has been one of favorite cal for deer and long range varmint hunting for years and i haven't been without one since 1971 and I have killed a number of deer with this cal and a truck load of varmints. My favorite 25 cal is the 25 STW with the 25-06 running a close second. Maybe one day i will try the 257 Wby, but since i have the 240 Wby which is my favorite of the Wby line up, I'm in no great big hurry.
Originally Posted by 338Federal
Your 6mm Remungton can't start a thread of pitiful hatred over 20 pages long, as the 257Wby vs 300Wby has.

When I read the first posting I was just about to say the same thing you did. Each has its' abilities and supporters. 20+ page arguments get started - just like if you called somebody's "mama" a bad name!
Dogger,

Since I live and mostly hunt at higher elevations (even some of the pronghorn country I hunt is several thousand feet above sea level, especially in Wyoming), the .257 Weatherby shoots even flatter than that.

With the 100-grain TSX loaded to about 3550, the trajectory of my 24" barreled Vanguard when sighted in 2" high at 100 yards is 3" high at 200, 1" high at 300, and 4-5" low at 400. This is from actual range shooting. The 400-yard impact is a little wider because that's where elevation starts to make a little difference, say the difference between 3000 and 5000 feet above sea level.

It's also a very accurate rifle, with 3-shot groups averaging half a minute of angle out to 400. From what I hear from other shooters, this isn't too unusual.

I like the .257 Weatherby so much that a second one is on its way.

I mist also point out, however, that this is not a slight on the 6mm Remington, or any other cartridge. I have a 6mm Remington and .240 Weatherby, a .250 Savage 99, two .257 Roberts, and one of the European walnut-stocked .25-06 Ruger No. 1's that Lipsey's was selling a couple of years ago, and too many other rifles chambered for a wide array of wonderful cartridges.

Personally, I have never been able to understand why most shooters apparently have to like one cartridge (or bullet, scope, etc.) to the point of having to prove another is inferior. From my experience, they are all very good at certain things.
I also think the .257 WBY is really a hot number. If after all the numbers are crunched, maybe the best for Western deer and lopes. My problem with the WBY's is their stocks. Unlike others on the fire I still haven't warmed up to them.
No. The "logic" that is wrong here is figuring that "A overlaps B is true" and "B overlaps C is true" implies "A pretty much equals C".

In other words a person saying "a 6mm is suitable for a lot of the same applications as a 257" and also saying "a 257 is suitable for a lot of the same applications as a 300" does not imply they have said "a 6mm is pretty much the same as a 300".
Pretty much lost interest in the 257 Wby. years ago, when I noticed that it required roughly about a 25% increase in powder for a 6% improvement in performance, compared to my 25-06s.

Know a few that are very fond of their 257s, so I'm happy for them, just never wanted one of my own. Everyone should be free to chose what excites them.
Dogger;

The 6mm doubles as a varmint round better, but the .257 Roy is a friggin' laser.

Just curious, but what is your 6mm?
I'm not so sure of that. For prairie dogs either one is too much for all-day shooting. For larger varmints, maybe the 6mm would be better on rockchucks, and maybe not. A great many of my rancher friends have gone to the .257 Weatherby for shooting coyotes. These are the guys who do it professionally, because coyotes eat some of their profit, and they can aim right on a coyote out to quite long range with the .257 and make him really, most sincerely dead.
JB,
How about some details on the new Roy? Inquiring minds want to know!
NULA. Should be here in a week or two.
JB,
You are getting a NULA in 257WBy, did I read that right?
If so, that should be very nice!
smile
I've seen a .257Wby recently that I thought was IT! Kimber Montana originally .25-06, punched .257 Wby, modified for the same.

VA,
That would be very nice indeed!
Am thinking it would probably rate a NICE+P from most. wink
Data from loaddata.com

257 wby 24" barrel
100 gr speer
73.0 gr RL25
3545 fps

257 weatherby mark v [unlisted barrel length]
100 gr sierra
73.0 gr H4831
3596 fps

270WSM
100 gr speer
65.5 gr H4350
3585 fps

62.0 gr IMR4064
3645 fps

I didn't check twist, nor do I have any empirical data on accuracy. However, certainly an argument can be made that a .270 WSM will equal a .257 WBY with less powder. BC will begin to play a small part [likely very small at distances over 400 yds]
I don't have a dog in this fight, just curious.
jmr
Better yet...compare a 257 Roy shooting 120's, to a 280AI shooting 120's.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'm not so sure of that. For prairie dogs either one is too much for all-day shooting. For larger varmints, maybe the 6mm would be better on rockchucks, and maybe not. A great many of my rancher friends have gone to the .257 Weatherby for shooting coyotes. These are the guys who do it professionally, because coyotes eat some of their profit, and they can aim right on a coyote out to quite long range with the .257 and make him really, most sincerely dead.

Of course it depends on the rifle. A heavy barreled 6mm with 55 gr. BT's @4200 fps is a sweet thing in the p-dog field all day, also hell on coyotes. Just has to be a dedicated vermin rig. Your nula on the other hand might look silly with a truck axel for a barrel. Either way when it comes to yotes, flat is where it's at.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
In the typical 8 pound rifle how would the kick of a 257 Weatherby shooting 120s as 3400 fps compare to a 270 winchester in the same 8 pound frame shooting 130's at 3000?

Can someone tell me if under 100 yards it would kill deer better? I hope so! Thus I can justify yet another rifle!! smile
If your 6mm is already doing everything that you need it to do, the 257 might not add much to the arsenal regardless of it's greater capabilities...but a 7wsm might add some excitement perhaps??

TC

EVERYBODY needs a new rifle. That's what makes us loonies.grin

Steve
Never had a 257wby, it sounds very nice.
I am thinking a M700 LSS would be perfect...
grin
340boy,

Yes, NULA Model 28 in .257 Weatherby. I suspect it will shoot pretty well....
Whatever you like. But I don't much like heavy-barreled varmint rifles, after having owned several. Could go into detail but will just note that I haven't found any advantage in them, and their barrels take a heck of a lot longer to cool down.

I also have found that even with heavy barrels anything from a .22-250 on up means I can't see the bulet strike in the scope. All of which is why anymore my all-day prairie dog rifles are all sporter-weights chambered for AT MOST the .223. I have taken PD's with the .204 to over 600 and with the .223 to over 700. Also they are lot more pleasant to shoot hundreds of times over a couple of days.
340boy,

Yes, NULA Model 28 in .257 Weatherby. I suspect it will shoot pretty well....

Wow!
Should be nice, Mule Deer.
Enjoy...
With the Montana 25-06 having a 24" barrel, I wonder how close it will come to the 257Wthby.? Then there is always the AI version.
Still toying with turning my Ti into a 257 Roy. Took me a LONG time to play with one but it's certainly in my top 5 list.
did someone say Remington offered the cheap SPS in .257 Weatherby?
They do, I almost bought one a while back.

Edited to read: it was an SPS Stainless, sorry!
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Roughly 3600 fps.

I'd buy 360 but not 3600.
6mm - 3000 fps with 100grain bullet.
257 Roy - 3600 fps
That's what mine do.
Maybe some valid points on the heavy gun but the 6mm will do head and shoulders better on the varmint/target side than the .257 in my opinion. The .257 Wby crosses that line.
Dogger,

Personally, I have never been able to understand why most shooters apparently have to like one cartridge (or bullet, scope, etc.) to the point of having to prove another is inferior. From my experience, they are all very good at certain things.

Very definite +1, we all have our favorites, don't understand why one has to be superior. Hell practically any center fire or even rim fire can kill (probably has) any animal on the North American continent.
Would like to hear advantages of 6mm on varmint/target side.

Yes, I would.
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Roughly 3600 fps.

I'd buy 360 but not 3600.
6mm - 3000 fps with 100grain bullet.
257 Roy - 3600 fps
That's what mine do.

By your own response:
A 257 Wby will do 3600 fps
A 6mm will do 3000 fps

So, a 257 will do 3600 fps and a 6mm won't. Hence, my response: 3600 fps.

Doesn't seem hard to comprehend.
Mostly the 257 will fling its slugs quite a bit faster.
JimmyP asked "Can someone tell me if under 100 yards it would kill deer better? I hope so! Thus I can justify yet another rifle!!:

Jimmy - if the deer is less than 100 yards away and you're shooting a 257, the rule book says that you must back up to more than 100 yards. Shooting them that close is just not fair or sporting.

In reality most any well placed bullet from any caliber at any reasonable range will kill a deer. Now if you really want an excuse, then OF COURSE the 257 will kill deer better :>)
Originally Posted by mathman
No. The "logic" that is wrong here is figuring that "A overlaps B is true" and "B overlaps C is true" implies "A pretty much equals C".

If A~B and B~C, then A~C ... no?

I understand where the fellow is coming from. Here are some delightfule tidbits I picked up here on 24HCF.

7-08 is as good as a 280 but in a short action.

one can duplicate 7RM velocities with a 280 without the extra powder and recoil.

There is NO difference between the 7RM adn 7ROY.

AND there is nothing a 300WBY can do that a 7 WBY cannot do as well. I have also read here that Roy's 7 and 300 are virtually the same.

Therefore, there is nothing a 300 Roy can do that a 7-08 cannot do just as well. Insanity.

I own and shoot all 4 cartridges chambered in MkV rifles and they ain't the same.

smile
For the guy that wants a .257 wby., there is a void that only it will fill. Give him a 6mm Remmy and the void is still there. When it comes to rifles, wanting one is reason enough.

1flier
Originally Posted by avagadro
Originally Posted by mathman

I understand where the fellow is coming from. Here are some delightfule tidbits I picked up here on 24HCF.

7-08 is as good as a 280 but in a short action.

one can duplicate 7RM velocities with a 280 without the extra powder and recoil.

There is NO difference between the 7RM adn 7ROY.

AND there is nothing a 300WBY can do that a 7 WBY cannot do as well. I have also read here that Roy's 7 and 300 are virtually the same.

Therefore, there is nothing a 300 Roy can do that a 7-08 cannot do just as well. Insanity.

I own and shoot all 4 cartridges chambered in MkV rifles and they ain't the same.

smile

Bravo!
I absolutely cannot justify a stainless steel Remington .257 Weatherby unless it makes more noise, burns more powder, goes faster, and has a 4.5 x 14 scope on it...I hate that I am going to have to back up to over 100 yards to fairly shoot deer. What is this "its the same stuff about"....and finally I promise this will be the absolute last rifle I will ever need to buy.. smile
Yeah, neither is what I'd call a colony type varmint rifle. I've used both and the 257 Roy with 85 gr. NBT's at warp speed really impresses.
Last summer at a farm I hunt woodchucks at I stopped by the house to let the farmer know I was going out. As we stood outside the building I spotted one about 400ish yards away with my 257 Roy in hand. I mentioned I saw one and he said I would never hit it. I mentioned I was too close to the buildings anyways but shot them further than that.
He said well ,I will tell you what. If you hit him you can hunt here but if you miss not. Been hunting there for years so it was more of a challenge for the day.
My range finder was still in the truck but I held on top of the chucks back and saw the hit before the recoil took me off the sight picture. He was impressed with the muzzle report as much as the hit.
I would also agree re recoil. I have a 270 and 257 W both set up exactly the same, in the same stocks, and there is no apparent difference in recoil to me.

If you're using ~ as the "is equivalent to" symbol, then yes. I used overlap and pretty much equals. So for my post it's no.

If you were to say "my 7mm-08 is good for a lot of the same things as my 7mm magnum" and also "my 7mm magnum is good for a lot of the same things as my 300 Weatherby" I wouldn't accuse you of having said "my 7mm-08 is pretty much the same thing as my 300 Weatherby".

I think I just went too far explaining how I see something going too far. laugh

When we compare a series of pairs,we are using the logic of analogy. When we continue to draw one analogy after another based upon our intial analagous assumption,our conclusions become less and less reasonable.

I believe it was Blaise Pascal who said that all analogies ultimately break down,that is too say that they are limited in practical application. This is even more the case when we place one analogy after another in series.

I remember reading an article in Outdoor Life by Jack O'Connor when I was about 13 years old. He was defending an earlier statement in which he had said that 'the 25-06 is a fine cartridge but it's no 270'. Apparently some 25-06 fan had taken him to task over this.

Jack said that he knew his 257 Roberts would do anything a 25-06 would do,and he had friends who had proven that the 250 Savage was certainly as good as the Roberts. Jack still knew plenty of ranchers who relied on 25-35 Winchesters who had proven time and again that the old saddle carbines could hold their own with any 250 Savage made. Jack even knew a grizzled old miner who still carried his 25-20 for everything in the west " 'cause it'll do anything that derned 25-35 will in the field".

Jack concluded that based on the actual field experience of men he knew, 'it is possible to say the 25-20 is the practical equal of the 25-06. It's not,and the 25-06 is no 270 either.'

I can almost see Jack grinnin' as he typed the article. grin

RD
Bullet selection would be the first advantage for the 6mm. There are a ton of custom target bullets out there for the 6mm. I'm sure you could get some for the .257 but It's not as practicle (go to any BR match and count 6mm's). While at the match take a poll. Ask the shooters," If you could only rebuild your rifle to 6mm rem or 257 Wby what would it be".
It would be a landslide for the remmy. Varmint bullets are easy to get for both but the 6mm has the advantage of the 55gr-58gr weight class. I've shot thousands of 85gr-87gr and even with the heavy guns catching the impact was rare. With the 55's I can usually see the p-dogs turn into pink mist and that is why I'm there. We could build a 257 Wby heavy enough to see impacts like a 12 lb 6mm rem but these guns are already on the borderline of practicle use. I feel a varmint rig over 12 lbs is only usefull off the bench or out of the truck window. I don't mind carrying a 12 lb rig to ambush sites all day but it's about max for me. The 55gr bullets are also much easier on pelts of all kinds. Start shooting bobcats and foxes with a .257 Wby and you won't get your skinning knife dirty. I know some use FMJ's for furred critters but not my style. I like to dump them where they stand even if it's gale force winds and way out there. A shot way off mark with a FMJ can lead to a lost hide. Hit the bugger almost anywhere with a 55gr @ 4000+ fps and it's not getting away.

Varmint and target use usually demands lots of ammo and or components. The 6mm rem brass and smaller amount of powder would be an advantage to your wallet.

These two cartridges definitly overlap. With the lightest and fastest loads for each they mirror trajectory to about 800 yards. If a customer were leaning towards a target or varmint rig with the rare deer hunt and asked for my opinion between the 6mm rem or 257 Wby I'd have to lean towards the 6mm. If they were leaning towards big game use with the rare varmint hunt I'd recommend the 257 Wby. Maybe it's just a mental hangup of mine but I draw a line between .243 and .257 for the above uses. Using the 6mm rem and the 257 Wby as the example makes that line a little wider.
I don't understand comparing an improved larger cartridge to a smaller standard one unless you have both rifles and want to hunt an unfamiliar environment or game etc.. Is that the case? No one has mentioned that a more fair comparison is a 240WBy to the 6mm Rem which is pretty much even. Just trying to figure 3 pages on an obvious disparity and why not comparisons to the 25-06 or 25wssm.
Custom built 257 Weatherby's with zero freebore in a 26" barrel will shoot the 100's at 3800 easy with extreme accuracy; 4000 fps out of a 30" barrel.

If you are going to go custom, size down Winchester 264Mag brass, and have the reamer made with the shorter neck with zero freebore. The Win brass stands the pressure much better than the Norma brass. Have the neck on the reamer ground .003 larger than the dia. of the sized down brass with a bullet seated. Use Redding bushing dies...one heck of a custom rifle.

Check the ballistic's tables on a 100g bullet at 3800f fps, or the 85g Nosler BT at 4130 fps...UNREAL!
That's very hot. Weatherby factory ammo is loaded to the gills even for freebored barrels and is good for about 3600 fps with 100 grain bullets. Fired in a zero freebore barrel I don't doubt this ammo would produce more velocity because the pressure is going to go up. The problem is it was maxed out before it went up.

It's pretty near a certainty your loads in a zero freebore rifle are a good bit over spec pressure.
eastplace,

I used to shoot a bunch of prairie dogs with 55-grain bullets out of the .243 and 6mm, and they sure work. But I quit using heavy varmint rifles several years ago, simply because I could kill the same number of dogs with .204's and .223's without having to wrestle around a heavy rifle. I could also still see the hits, and use a lot less powder. I just don't find anything much bigger than a .223 a really fun or useful prairie dog rifle anymore.

Maybe for the occasional shooting at a real long dog, but even then I have killed plenty of over-500-yard PD's with the smaller rifles, and some around a half-mile with .22-250's and .220 Swifts--which is basically what you're imitating with 55's in a 6mm.

If you find a 6mm practically perfect for PD's, great. I don't recall shooting with anybody who's used any 6mm for all-day shooting for quite a while though, and I shoot prairie dogs several times each year, with a lot of different people. Based on that, I'd say you're definitely in the minority.

I long ago quit being impressed by arguments about "bullet selection." This was the argument made for years for 7mm's over .270's. One day I added up ALL the different bullets made for 7mm's and for .270's in the Midway catalog. I can't remember the exact number, but yes, there were more in 7mm, say 150 instead of 130 for the .270. Does that mean we can't find SEVERAL different bullets that work in the .270 for any purpose. No.

Similarly, just because there are a lot of benchrest bullets available in 6mm, and benchrest shooter choose 'em, that doesn't mean there aren't enough .25-caliber HUNTING bullets for about any purpose. I have found that in general plastic-tipped bullets work a lot better for killing varmints than hollow-points or softpoints. The 75-grain Hornady V-Max will shoot extremely accurately and kill varmints extremely well in any .25 from the .250 Savage up. It will reach 4000 fps in the .257 Weatherby. The 85-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip will also shoot extremely well in most .25's. So why would I need more than those two?

If you want to save the hides on coyotes with a .257, shoot 'em with a TSX or something similar. While hunting deer or antelope I have killed coyotes with the .25 115 Nosler Partition, and as long as the coyote's out there a ways there isn't much pelt damage. And that's what we're talking about, aren't we? Long-range coyotes? For closer-range calling either the 6mm or .257 is unnecessarily powerful, especially if you want to save the hides.

I also doubt that there's much difference in pelt damage from whatever 6mm at X velocity and a slightly heavier .25 at the same velocity. This is based on experience with about all the 6mm's from the .243 Win. up and the .25's from the .250 Savage up.

And at any rate, most of the ranchers I know just want coyotes dead. They don't care about the hide. For making coyotes dead, they like the .257 Weatherby.

I shoot p-dogs and coyotes like my life depends on it. The main reason for the coyote slaughter is to save expensive calves so if I blow one in half I really don't care to much. On the other hand the trapper likes the furs and if I can give them to someone instead of leaving them on the prairie I will opt for them being used. The 55 BT usually makes a small hole going in then blows up leaving just the solid base to exit. It does the least damage I've seen in general.

I would agree a smaller cartridge has advantages in a p-dog field but I still believe, in responce to the original comparison of the 257 wby and 6mm rem, that the remmy does have advandages. One of which is in the varmint and target arena.

The 257 wby has advantages as most people responding to this question pointed out. I figured I would stand alone in defense of our sweet 6 Remington and point out it's advantages over the 257 mag. They do exist, like it or not, 257 lovers. grin
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Dogger,

Very definite +1, we all have our favorites, don't understand why one has to be superior. Hell practically any center fire or even rim fire can kill (probably has) any animal on the North American continent.

Well, since the .243 essentially killed my beloved 6mm, is it OK that I don't like the Winchester? smile
Since this is a theoretically a free country, you can actually go ahead and hate the .243.
John,

Well, we were born free, but lately I am wondering.

My 6mm Rem (a Ruger No. 1 with 26" barrel) shoots my favorite 100 gr Nosler Partition load to 3,231 fps (avg. at 12'). I have been thinking about a .257 Weatherby, just because...

What are the specs on your NULA M28 barrel, please and thank you?

jim
I have no idea on the barrel specs, as we talked about the rifle so long ago that I've forgotten. Guess I'll have to see when it arrives!
John,

Part of why I make notes about phone conversations!

I was wondering if the .257 Wby spec would differ from the 24" No. 2 contour you used on your M24 (and I copied).

jim
Why make notes that would just ruin the Christmas suprise.
Jim,

We have even had conversations with Melvin and decided on certain things (barrel length & weight, paint job) and then the rifle came and it was different. I suspect he sometimes doesn't make notes either--but I also suspect he only does that with his friends....
MuleDeer, Maybe I missed it in a previous post---will the NULA have the Wby freebore?
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

When we compare a series of pairs,we are using the logic of analogy. When we continue to draw one analogy after another based upon our intial analagous assumption,our conclusions become less and less reasonable.

I believe it was Blaise Pascal who said that all analogies ultimately break down,that is too say that they are limited in practical application. This is even more the case when we place one analogy after another in series.

I remember reading an article in Outdoor Life by Jack O'Connor when I was about 13 years old. He was defending an earlier statement in which he had said that 'the 25-06 is a fine cartridge but it's no 270'. Apparently some 25-06 fan had taken him to task over this.

Jack said that he knew his 257 Roberts would do anything a 25-06 would do,and he had friends who had proven that the 250 Savage was certainly as good as the Roberts. Jack still knew plenty of ranchers who relied on 25-35 Winchesters who had proven time and again that the old saddle carbines could hold their own with any 250 Savage made. Jack even knew a grizzled old miner who still carried his 25-20 for everything in the west " 'cause it'll do anything that derned 25-35 will in the field".

Jack concluded that based on the actual field experience of men he knew, 'it is possible to say the 25-20 is the practical equal of the 25-06. It's not,and the 25-06 is no 270 either.'

I can almost see Jack grinnin' as he typed the article. grin

RD

Great post,Britt wink
338Federal,

I would assume so, since I didn't ask for anything different.

I went through a period of thinking the freebore didn't help accuracy--and maybe it didn't, sometimes, when the freebore was a little larger in diameter than necessary. I even had one custom rifle built for the .270 Weatherby with a more conventional throat (which of course made Wby. factory ammo pretty hot).

But in the past few yards I have shot too many super-accurate Weatherby factry to consider the freebore much of a factor. There are three in our house right now, a .257 Vanguard Sporter, a .300 Vanguard Sub-MOA, and a .240 Mark V Ultra-Lightweight, and all will shoot VERY well--and of course all have the standard freebored chamber.
JB, I bet your 240 wby is a hoot to shoot! I love mine. In fact, I would love to see weatherby offer that cartridge in their Vanguard series. It's a cartridge overlooked by many, yet, is easy on the shoulder and takes down wild hogs for me with serious authority. A 100 grain partition coming out of the 240 wby is serious bad mo-jo on animals.

Were I to make a pitch on my favorite rifle cartridge verses the 243 win, or 6mm rem, the 240 wby is the one.
Yeah, I (and my wife) like the .240 a lot as well. Before this year we mostly used the 100-grain Partition as well, but this fall Eileen used the 90-grain Nosler E-Tip, a very nifty load when pushed to 3350 or so.
Jim,

We have even had conversations with Melvin and decided on certain things (barrel length & weight, paint job) and then the rifle came and it was different. I suspect he sometimes doesn't make notes either--but I also suspect he only does that with his friends....

Lol! My pistolsmith does that... I spec something and it comes the way he likes it. He knows me pretty well and has good taste, it usually works out.
I can't decide. Let me order up one of each in a custom rifle, shoot 'em all over the country at game of all shapes and sizes for a few seasons and get back to you.

Just send an email "permission slip" to my wife smile .

Why can't my boss give me tough "field assignments" like this one??

Seriously, if I were to go after a Weatherby Mag I'd choose the 270. It seems to me to be the most versatile from the standpoint that you can topple pretty much any big game animal on the continent with relatively light recoil in a standard length action.

I emphasize "to me" cuz I don't mean to say that it is inherently better than the 257, just that for the uses I'd make of such a consumer of powder that'd make the most sense.

Of course life would be easier if I had the money to buy one of each and test them all out smile .

Originally Posted by efw
I can't decide. Let me order up one of each in a custom rifle, shoot 'em all over the country for a few years and get back to you.

Just send an email "permission slip" to my wife smile .

Talk to your doctor and have him call your wife explaining your diagnosis, OCFD (Obsessive Compulsive Firearms Disorder). Have him write you a couple prescriptions for new rifles meds.
Originally Posted by efw

Seriously, if I were to go after a Weatherby Mag I'd choose the 270. It seems to me to be the most versatile from the standpoint that you can topple pretty much any big game animal on the continent with relatively light recoil in a standard length action.

I emphasize "to me" cuz I don't mean to say that it is inherently better than the 257...

Smells like a new "what will a .257..." thread to me.
Originally Posted by eastplace
Smells like a new "what will a .257..." thread to me.

No thread needed. Everybody knows that the 270 Weatherby is the superior round and will do anything the 257 will do, better. smile
Jim,

One of the 'smiths who helped me w/ my 257 skipped over the target crown I'd requested. When I came to pick up the fully finished (blued and everything) barreled action and asked about why it wasn't crowned he said, "You don't need to do that. Just shoot it as-is and see how she performs. If you need it, we can do it then."

Ok.

Of course, he was right. She shoots wonderfully and I'm happy. Still a weird thing for me to hear, coming from a sales/customer service background where the customer LITERALLY is always right.
EFW- I hear you. I pleaded with a smith (loose use of the word) to recrown an ADL for me. He said it didn't need it. I asked him to do it anyway. It was a disgraceful chipped up mess when I picked it up and he couldn't look me in the eye. I took it home and spent two minutes trusting myself to do it - had nothing to lose did I? Turned out freaking great. Groups shrunk substantially but more importantly I gained some confidence I sorely lacked. I'm not afraid to screw up anything now smile -ha ha . Congrats on the rifle- glad she shoots, but maybe he knew something you didn't and actually had the experience at his disposal. He may turn out to be a very good smith who actually doesn't want to unnecessarily spend a customers money. A possibility anyways.
If someone wants a target crown give them a target crown, and almost all production guns can benefit from an accurate crown.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
In the typical 8 pound rifle how would the kick of a 257 Weatherby shooting 120s as 3400 fps compare to a 270 winchester in the same 8 pound frame shooting 130's at 3000?

Can someone tell me if under 100 yards it would kill deer better? I hope so! Thus I can justify yet another rifle!! smile

The recoil of the 257 Weatherby is about 3 ft lbs greater based on those numbers, so not much difference.

www.realguns.com has a ballistics column on it's home page with a recoil calculator for future reference. All you need is the info you furnished plus the powder charge.

Merry Christmas to all,

I am guilty of "Obsessive Compulsive Firearms Disorder"

What will a 257 Weatherby do that my 7mm Rem Mag won't do?

I am thinking about coyotes not prairie dogs.
Karl D,

You get a much better bullet selection for 'yotes in .257 cal than you do in .284.

Originally Posted by slasher
Originally Posted by jimmyp

The recoil of the 257 Weatherby is about 3 ft lbs greater based on those numbers, so not much difference.

www.realguns.com has a ballistics column on it's home page with a recoil calculator for future reference. All you need is the info you furnished plus the powder charge.

The only real reason I "need" a .257 Weatherby is because I want one! And if I am going to shell out money for something that I want to enjoy hunting with then I am going to get one that I think I will like, so no 9 pound guns for me. Then I don't care how much "energy" it transfers to 150 pound WT deer at 50 yards that can be easily killed with a 22. So it dont matter, you see what matters is to hold up the flower pot sized shell with the little .257 caliber bullet in the end of it and poke fun of the guy with the boring .243 winchester at deer camp, of course you hope after you do this that he does not kill a bigger deer than you do! smile
MD,

"Yes, NULA Model 28 in .257 Weatherby. I suspect it will shoot pretty well.."

Well mine sure does...yours should look something like this only your bolt will be on the wrong side. grin[Linked Image]

The big 4X12X50 seemed almost overkill, but is so brilliant, has a large eye box, and works so well it's going to stay there.

I really like this rifle.

LC
Use the 6mm Remington and the 257 Wby on prairie dogs. Both with Hornady 75 SHP.

With the 257 Wby normally get red splatter over an 11% greater area than with the 6mm Remington.

But the tolerances of the GPS used to measure the area could account for 2% to 3% of that.

I have both and the 6mm Remington and the .257 Weatherby, both will kill antelope, but the Weatherby will roll them over at 400 yards. In my experience even a good shot on one with a 6mm will end with a quarter of a mile trail at the same distance, therefore I will not shoot another antelope with my sics millimeter.
Good shooting!
Marcus.
I hunt a section of steep national forest in Virginia that is heavily hunted. The deer are wily and go nocturnal after opening day. The last two seasons I have only seen them at dusk, when the light is fading fast. They sometimes hide in a big patch of waist to neck high bramble and waitaminute vines that has to be 300 meters by 300 meters in size. The eastern, northern, and southern sides are woodsy and hunted heavily because it is within a half mile of the parking area -- I bump into other hunters all the time. I am thinking if I get above the deer, on the ridgeline west of the patch, I can spot them from above and catch them moving about in the bramble during the day. From above on the ridgeline I can glass below to spot them when they are in their beds. The shot will probably be 350 to 450 yards. I need to acquire a rangefinder for sure, and a rifle that is akin to a laser beam, and a good shooting position on the ridgeline. I have a 24 inch barreled .280 Remington, and a 22 inch barreled 300RSAUM, but am not convinced they are the best choice for this situation. Perhaps the .280 with a 120BT, or the 300RSAUM with a 150BT. Of course, I don't want to hump a heavy rifle up this ridgeline either. I was thinking a .257 Weatherby or a .264 Winchester might be ideal, either shooting 100 grain NP as fast as i can send them. This is becoming a real grudge match between me and these deer. Next year I plan to get up on the ridgeline the day prior to the opener, camp overnight, be in position at first light, and hope to surprise these rascals.
Well after all of this, now I am just not sure I need one! It looks to be a long range cartridge not really any more suitable to hunting deer under 100 yards than the .243win! So we find that in reality it will not kill 25 yard deer any faster, the guns chambered for it unless you can afford a NULA are heavy with 26 inch barrels, and if shooting varments, then a 22-250 is probably a better coyote gun. smile
© 24hourcampfire