Home
Posted By: SteveC99 Jim Carmichael gun collection - 01/02/09
I was just browsing the Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing site and they have at least 30 different rifles they have obtained from the Jim Carmichael collection. I had heard he'd retired from Outdoor life with his last appearance in the November 2008 issue. Seeing all of these guns for sale makes me wonder. Anybody know anything?
I was not aware of this. Jim Carmichael is one of my favorite gun writers. I hope he is doing well, just selling some extra firearms.
Hadn't heard of this either. Read a lot of his Outdoor Life stuff over the years at the barber shop.
Yes, Jim retired this year. I heard that he is being replaced by John Snow.
I'm glad to hear he is ok. I looked up the guns for sale which there are some nice ones, a few pre 64 M70's, etc. I did notice a lack of his wildcats, 280's, etc so was assuming he was still around shooting and hunting.
Well FWIW I just talked to my brother. He called Connecticut Shotgun about a Winchester 21 and just asked the guy about the Carmichael guns. Jim is apparently hale and hearty, just reducing inventory.
Posted By: djs Re: Jim Carmichael gun collection - 01/02/09
I understand that he donated several competition guns to the (NRA) National Firearms Museum.
Posted By: djs Re: Jim Carmichael gun collection - 01/02/09
I just looked at the Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing site and looked at Jim Carmichael's Remington 700's. It apppears that there's a premium attached to the price ($1700 asking price). Is my assumption correct, or is there something else here?
It look's like they smoke some really good stuff in CT. I wonder if they ever sell anything.Well I have to admit I bought a $300 set of screwdriver's on sale for $199 from them
Does anyone have the link to these guns?

Thanks,

ddj
Will people really pay 2-4x market value for a gun just because Carmichael owned it ?

Mike
http://www.csmcspecials.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=29

The Carmichael guns start showing up about page three or so.
Plain Jane Blued ADL's. I don't care who owned em. That's obviously the trash taking up space in the back of an old gun safe that he lent out to inlaws coming by to hunt.
Holy Cow !!!
Yeah, way over priced in my book.
Garden variety 700 ADL made around 1970 in .243 for $1,700+... Why?
Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't pay a premium even if they were owned by Elmer Keith or Jack O'Connor..........on the other hand if they were owned by Jeff Cooper grin

Mike
I saw a handgun that was once owned by Willie Nelson at
a gunshow several years ago, it was still at the next
show after that. I guess it all depends on who owned it.
There's a huge difference in my view, of an "off the shelf" anyone can buy one firearm ( or whatever ) and a full race "one off" custom with paper work, thats been owned by a celeb.

One of Jim's pre 64' 280's would be worth some cash to the right people. One of his standard factory pieces isn't worth anymore than anyone else's - to me....

I was surfing GB yesterday, and saw a Springfield 03 that
had been owned by Elmer Keith, I wonder how much that one
will go for.
I found several winchester 07 articles saying a very nice condition one is valued at $500....
But on the sale site:
Winchester Model 07 Autoloader
Our Price: $2,150.00

WINCHESTER � Model 07 Autoloader, .351 Winchester, 20� barrel length, pistol grip stock, original aluminum butt plate, metal is in 98% condition, wood in 98%, with only light handling marks, excellent condition throughout, an original and unaltered example of this model manufactured in 1949, an affordable classic obtained from the Carmichel collection.

It looks better than any I found today searching gunbroker and other sites, but most were $300.....

Hopefully Jim got his money out of these guys and these are not on consignment... Or Jim doesn't need money as at those prices I doubt many will be sold. No disrespect to Jim.

Allen
Posted By: SU35 Re: Jim Carmichael gun collection - 01/03/09
Jim always demanded he get SN 13 for rifles that were given to him.

John Snow??? Never heard of him.

Can you provide any background?

Jim
Winchester must have also restocked his .358 when it was returned to the factory as all .358s had low comb stocks....

Utterly ridiculous prices and some beat-up 70s, to boot....
He's been the Executive Editor of OL for a while, and been doing some gun writing as part of that job.
I met Jim at the 1999 SHOT show and talked with him briefly. Great guy and has probably forgot more about guns than most of us will ever know. "The Book of the Rifle " is a great book if anyone has ever read it I would highly recommend it. In fact he used to live in Bristol, VA which is basically the VA side of Bristol, TN.
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter
I met Jim at the 1999 SHOT show and talked with him briefly. Great guy and has probably forgot more about guns than most of us will ever know. "The Book of the Rifle " is a great book if anyone has ever read it I would highly recommend it. In fact he used to live in Bristol, VA which is basically the VA side of Bristol, TN.

+1

I bought his Book of the Rifle when it was first published and highly recommend it to any serious student of the rifle.
He visits Herb Reilly's gunshop in TN often. I picked up a rifle from Herb one day and Jim left two minutes before I got there. Dangit! I think Herb built a few of Jim's project guns, one of which was a Mauser 98 that was cut in half, shortened, welded back together, then prettied up.

http://herbsgunshop.tripod.com/index.htm

John, thanks for the information. I guess this shows how long it is since I read an Outdoor Life magazine since I had never heard of Mr. Snow.

Jim
John Snow works for Fox News, did'nt know he knew anything about guns but he is from Colorado and likes to ski.
Posted By: djs Re: Jim Carmichael gun collection - 01/05/09
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't pay a premium even if they were owned by Elmer Keith or Jack O'Connor..........on the other hand if they were owned by Jeff Cooper grin

Mike

Agree. I would pay a fair price for an Al Beisen rifle regrdless of who owned it, but I would not pay a premium just because it was owned by a writer. In 30 years, few will know the name Jim Carmichael or the names of other writers who have been dead for 50 years.

If an honest provance exists for a rifle that was owned by Dwight Eisenhower, Douglas McArthur, George Washington (or some other truly famous historical person), I would pay a premium, assuming I could afford the piece.
I don't think they'll be forgotten,I'll disagree with you there.I think their putting rediculous price's on "regular model's".I could see paying a small premium if one choose's to do so if their favorite writer was O'Connor, Carmichael,Gresham etc. Geez,I was at an auction and saw a $4000 Beretta sell for $50,000 because it belonged to Hemingway
Originally Posted by panhandle
John Snow works for Fox News, did'nt know he knew anything about guns but he is from Colorado and likes to ski.

That would be Tony Snow. He worked for Fox and later became the White House Spokesman during the third term of President Bush's second term. He had cancer, leukemia I believe, and died about a year ago.

He always seemed fair

Steve

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/25/AR2006042501602.html

Steve don't confuse us with facts.

LOL, I love this place
Tony Snow had Colon Cancer, not Leukemia...

He was in remission when he took the job as press secretary at the White House. The cancer came back, he then resigned and passed away soon after.
© 24hourcampfire