Home
Posted By: ColdCase1984 Bushnell Sportview 6x40? - 03/27/09
Was given one today."Korea" is engraved on the bottom of the windage turret. Legend in white on bottom of tube reads:

6X 40
WATERPROOF
74-0640-0
AA

No ring marks, glossy, with an intact gold and black sticker with a '70s looking B in the middle near the windage turret that reads "Certified Bushnell Quality"

Would you be embarrassed to put it on a currently unscoped .243 or .270 (or a .22/250 to replace a big, heavy Leupy) and show it to some crows, groundhogs and coyotes? Standard Duplex reticle, BTW.
Posted By: POPBEAR Re: Bushnell Sportview 6x40? - 03/27/09
Might surprise you. I use to use a lot of the old Bushnells and they worked really well.
ColdCase,
Don't tell anybody, but I have an El-Cheapo Bushnell sportsman 3x9 that I mounted on an equally El-Cheapo H&R Handirifle. The bore has pits and the stock has scratches, but there are several very dead creatures on account of it around these parts. Use it in good conscience.
I hear ya. If I get a chance I'll mount it on something this weekend. Maybe our snubnose .260 Ruger. The scope is lighter than the cheapo that's currently astraddle that carbine.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Bushnell Sportview 6x40? - 03/28/09
Had 2-3 of those a decade ago. Mounted them I remember on 2 Swedish mausers I had sporterized. Remember shooting groups around 2 1/2 inches at 200 yds with them, nothing wrong. Not a Leupold in clarity, but a good bright view, held point of impact and reticle bold enough to not fade in low light, worked well enough I neck shot a spike buck one morning hunt with one of those 6.5x55s. He never knew what hit him wink and I was not embarrassed to have it mounted. Later sold them and upgraded optics, but those Bushnells, nor any others I ever owned ever broke or malfunctioned in any way.

Later you could spend a hundred bucks or so and get a Weaver K6 if you wanted (less distortion edge to edge), and the new Pentax 6x Doug sells at Cameraland has bright sharp optics and a ranging reticle with hash marks fwiw, but yes, that Bushnell will work fine IMHO.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Bushnell Sportview 6x40? - 03/28/09
I wouldn't. I would be far more reluctant to mount a cheap variable than a cheap fixed magnification scope on a casual use rifle. Almost all scope makers make scopes to varying degrees of reliability based on the price of the scope. But with a fixed magnification scope, it's hard to go wrong. E
Agreed and may take a different route: put the free 6x40 on the 788 .22/250 I made "free" through semi-complicated trading.

Right now it has a 4.5-14x50 Leupold on it that makes a fairly heavy rifle tubby.

A 6X should be sufficient for most Tennessee varmint shooting.

May put the bigger scope on the .243 and set it up specifically for shots far side of 300 yards with 85-grain Fed loads.

Believe I may start saving up for a Leupold 6X for the Mountain Rifle. Talked my brother into getting one on his Browning 1885 '06 and he loves it; moreso after dropping his muley buck with it at nearly 300 yards last fall.
I have a 4x32 on an '06 and a 6x32 on a 7x57. Both do quite well.
© 24hourcampfire