Home
I recently decided that my collection of center fire rifles, Is good for any hunting situation I might find except in africa,
and really, with my .338 win mag I could do prety well there too with a few exceptions.
Also, I recently read pondo taylors book, African rifles & Cartridges , I decided I need a .375 H&H.(not a.375 Ruger, But I might change my mind later) Been reserching my options.
The Cz's are quality rifles, but I would need to sink a bunch of money into one to make it what I want.
In fact, I likly would send or drive it to Kalaispell montana and get the 2600.00 up grade package from AHR.
Total would run about 3500.00, and Man that would be a quality dangerous game rifle fo sure.
I am not to down on the 798 Remington in the safari version, and cabella's has a good price on them. But I would need to spend at least a few 100.00 on one of those too.
There are pre 64 model 70s a guy can get for around the same price as the AHR up grade package.
And of course the #1H witch is a darned good option.
I know where I can get one right now for 850.00. It is somwhat tempting.
The #1 is an old pink pad version , a fine rifle, for sure , and as a handloader , I can work my way up to full house loads slowly.
Ya see the pink pad on the old ruger is only margenaly softer than the wood , and I don't want to alter one of those cool old rugers. I still might get that if I can work out a deal I like though.
Right now, I think the best bang for your .375 DGR rifle buck has to be the Ruger RSM.
Well under 2000.00 and set up in an americanized version of the classic style.
Good barrel length, decent sights. I like the sights on the .375 Ruger better. But I could change out the front blade.
The wood quality Varies , but all I have seen are prety good.
Who has 1st hand experence with one of these rifles.
Do they have good enough cross bolts ? Or do the stocks tend to split from time to time ?
Am I over looking a rifle or two ?
It is likly to be quite awhile before i buy, But I want one.
What do you guys like.?
...tj3006
I had a couple of RSM Rugers and think they are the best rifle of their type for the money. My two objections were excessive weight and having to settle for the Ruger scope mount system; I've never liked it.

The RSM is far too heavy for a 375 H&H, IMO. I have a 798 in 458. It's OK, but it is a bit roughly machined inside the action and has a stinking folding rear sight.

I had a couple of CZ 550s in 416 Rigby. The first stock cracked on the second shot, and I had re-torqued all the screws. The second I bedded before one shot was fired, and all was well. They are clubby.

I agree with Safari that the Ruger 375H&H is too heavy and that kind of weight is not really needed for a 375 H&H.Other options would be a M70 Classic in 375H&H,which is a decent rifle with some tweaking,and some may not need anything at all.

A somewhat over-looked 375H&H rifle(used market only)is an Interarms Whitworth Express. These are the same Mauser action as the Rem798,etc, but the Brits assembled them, cleaned the action up,and they are rugged,reliable rifles giving good accuracy,pretty nicely stocked and have good iron sights,if you can ignore the two additional pop-up leafs.

They can generally be had for about a grand depending on who sells them,and are a rugged and reliable rifle,not excessively heavy.

Depending on what you want to spend today you could also just buy a pre 64,but the prices on those things are getting a bit scary.

Your dilemma is one reason the 375 Ruger is going to do well,as the rifles are rugged,reliable,affordable,easily had and from what I see,give the same performance as the H&H round in a more modern,handier package.It'll be years before it overtakes the H&H round,but that does not mean it isn't good right now.What one will do the other will do.
I had thought about getting a Winchester SS classic in say,
7 rem mag (since they are easier to find than the 375) and having someone(ITD, Pacnor)twist the barrel off and install a 375....I think you could do it for somewhere just north of 1K and you could change barrel length if desired.
Would this work?

AFTERUM: You could ask Redneck on here about that conversion. I know at a minimum that the magazine box,follower,ejector and bolt stop will have to be changed or altered.Also the rear of a M70 Classic action for 375H&H is cut out to make the loading port longer.That said I think some on here have used a 7 mag-type M70 Classic for the H&H rounds,and it works,but takes some alterations.
If I ever want a 375 H&H magazine rifle I'll track down a less abused Whitworth Express rifle and customize it. If not I'll go straight to a nice Ruger #1
Personally if I were to be looking for a 375 (and the best bang for my buck) I'd no doubt go with a 700 SPS and stick it in a Ti take off handle.

Most likely I'd recut it to 23", stick a set of Talley's on it and a Uncle Mikes Mtn sling. Add a new K4 or K6 to it and voila instant 375.

The 700 XCR or whatever it is called would be my second choice and the Kimber Talketna 3rd.

Good luck in your decision.

Dober
To all,

Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Personally if I were to be looking for a 375 (and the best bang for my buck) I'd no doubt go with a 700 SPS and stick it in a Ti take off handle.

Most likely I'd recut it to 23", stick a set of Talley's on it and a Uncle Mikes Mtn sling. Add a new K4 or K6 to it and voila instant 375.

When selecting a 375 for possible African use that might include dangerous game a rem. 700 with a 6X scope would be my very last choice. That rifle lacks so many of the features I want such as a well attached bolt handle, CRF, three position safety, Mauser type extractor etc.

I would keep looking. The other day Cabelas had a 375 HH in P-17 for $699 and it has a Leu. 2.5 on it. The rifle was not up to standard stock wise with no checkering. Look for a Whitworth as suggested.

I had the pleasure of handling and shooting a Whitworth a couple of weeks ago. I was impressed. It shot well and handled even better. It came up to my shoulder like it knew the way. I thought its weight was about right for a .375H&H. As suggested, I might look for a Whitfield.
Looks like I failed to edit yet again. Whitworth not Whitfield!
My question is why spend the money for this rifle until you have to have it? Meaning, having a safari booked that requires the caliber upgrade in diameter over your .338. You mentioned that you had all the hunting situations covered with your present battery. Well why not use the money you would spend on a .375 and book a plains game hunt and hunt with your .338 and go hunt instead of accruing more trinkets for "some day" adventures. I was in his camp the past few years but no longer. I am reminded every day of "life is short" and I want to actually get out there and experience stuff not accrue toys for the "one day" adventures. I have an accurate hunting rifle in .257 Bob & .338 Win mag that I can hunt what ever I want with because I have no plans to shoot the dangerous stuff any time soon. Could I analyze critter by critter and justify more "perfect" weapons? You bet but if I choose an appropriate bullet and place that bullet where it should be placed I have more than enough coverage with my 2 rifles.

Point is get out of the house and hunt!

OK soap box is unoccupied....next?
I've got a few comments on the comments so far:

I am puzzled why it would take a couple thousand dollars to upgrade a CZ. I have a CZ .416 Rigby, and it took a little work (all of which I did myself) to make it function flawlssly. But $3500?

The Whitworth is indeed a very good rifle. My own .375 H&H is a Whitworth and all I had done was get a Gentry 3-position safety added.

A CRF Model 70, whether pre- or post-64, is a good deal too. The only thing I would do is put a Williams extractor on the post-64.

The best bang for the buck right now is the Ruger Hawkeye African in .375 Ruger. I would do some work on the bedding to make sure the stock doesn't split, but other than that they are pretty much good to go.
I wish you guys would stop extrolling the virtues of the various .375's. I got to fondle a Ruger M77, Mk.II Magnum rifle yesterday at Sportsman's. Besides making me weak at the knees with it's fabulous wood, it had that solid, muzzle heavy feel that screams "On Target, Right Now" to me. The only thing it lacked was a white bead for a front sight.
I haven't fondled an African yet. But I have played with the Alaskan. Another, "On Target, Now !" rifle. But the rubbery stock would have to go. "Dear Mr. Ruger company, please send me an African stock for my Alaskan... "
I've shot the 7.5 lb. Whitworth. From off hand, @ 100 yds., I put three into 3 inches right in the center of the black, i.e. 2.5 inches high. Handloads with the 300 gr. SRA BT's.
The owner was afaird to shoot it.... I can understand why. I'd hate to have to shoot that thing much from the bench.
One of my recurring fantasies is how I'll spend my last days in the field carrying some beautiful rifle with a high grade wood stock, some sort of iron sights which will throw some big chunk of lead at modest velocity. Of course it will weight too much and be challenging to shoot with it's iron sights.
I've dreamed of .45-70's, Ruger #1's, and now some sort of .375.
Like I said, I wish you guys would stop all this. BTW, those too heavy for some Rugers were priced at $1849.00. Such a deal... E
There are a lot of used .375 H&H rifles in the market, I would shop for one of these before I bought a new rifle with the thought of adding custom features. The buy versus make decision here is pretty easy.

After I got my Ruger M77 African .375 Ruger I sent my other .375s down the road. I think a lot of other folks have too.

jim
for $3500 you could pickup a brand new kimber caprivi in a .375H&H
Since money was an issue, my .375 CZ American Safari worked just fine.

If I had the $$$, I would get one of these Sako Safari's:

[Linked Image]

Thanks for all the replies.
I have a couple of Winchester 92s that value about at about 2500.00 to 3000.00. I can sell or trade one or both for a .375.
I also have a fund for an african trip. I was getting fairly close till the stock market tanked.
It is starting to rebound , I am wondering if you guys who say the RSM is to heavy have handeld one latly. I understand they have reduced weight abit. Not real interested in most of the big 5. But I would love to take a lion ! (cape buffalo are just ugly, don't want ugly on my wall)
I should probaly list the features I want on a .375 for africa.
22 to 24 inch barrel, good back up sights, a decent recoil pad, A good scope mount set up, a good single trigger, 3 position wing safty , all thise things are prety much must haves.
Other things I really like are a nice looking stock with a tear drop style cheek piece good looking checkering Ebony or similer fortip, barrel band sling swivel, And mabye a few other things I can't think of now.
The CZ is still a viable option. I Could get a very good start on a CZ project Buy selling my 32/20.
I could buy the rifle and buy a 3 position safty and a replacment trigger.
Cut and crown the barrel at about 23 inches, Would not be very expensive.
That would put me most of the way home. I Know a couple of guys who could reshape the stock, so I could mount the banded sling swivel. But That would be alot of work, spell that money !
I still like the Ruger RSM. If I can get one for say 1600.00
To get a CZ close to that style would probably run me a good deal more.
Mule deer , have a look at tha AHR web sight. The cost of the up grade i refer to is 2600.It includes restocking with XXX walnut. The rifle itself is 900.00
I will go back and look at the site again. and consider the less expensive upgrade package , but I would still be stuck with that clunky stock.
Remember i have lots of time ! My fund for trip went from being about 60% there to about 25% , and I can't start feeding that pig again till I get my back operation and back to work !
Thanks for the valuable input !
...tj3006

Yeah, I talked to the AHR guys at Safari Club last year, and they told me about their "basic" conversion of the CZ, doing the trigger and M70 type safety. I thought about it, then realized I had been hunting from Alaska to South Africa for several years with a pair of CZ 550's (a 9.3x62 and .416 Rigby) and hadn't had the slightest trouble with either the safety of the trigger.

The CZ safety itself is a 3-position, and to me is a lot handier than the the M70 type. If you adjust the CZ set trigger to 3 pounds on the primary pull, then the set feature goes away, and it is a darn good trigger.

I head you about the stock, and I had my 9.3 restocked. But the wood on the Magnums is usually pretty nice, and I converted the .416's to a straight-comb, British-type stock very easily. Evidently their stock finish is very similar to the stuff I use, and all that had to refinished was the top of the comb and the tip of the forend, where I removed the schnabel. I also repositioned the recoil pad. I can e-mail you a photo if you like. I might even be persuaded to do one on somebody else's rifle....
JB,
I didn't know that about the CZ's trigger.
I will give that a whirl on my 9.3X62.
Thanks!
SAKO, on it's web site is advertising a Model 85 Kodiak in 375 H&H for an MRSP of $1800. SAKO claims it to be a CRF rifle.

22" barrel with open sights, laminated stock, stainless action and barrel.
I will have a look at that sako.
I have adjusted the trigger on a couple of CZs, and I know its easy to do, As far as reshaping stocks,I sure I can sand , and do a hand finish but I would not want to try to reshape a stock.
BUT !! I just looked at a cz about 2 HRs ago , with a new stock. Much improved.Better pad too !
The barrel is to long, but that is not hard to fix. And both AHR and Timney make replacment triggers.
The rifle was selling for 1050.00 at spostsmens in vancouver washington. To get it where i want I might be in it about 1300.00
It certainly looks like a better option.
...tj3006

If you don't like the CZ trigger after adjusting it the Timney model is a very good trigger.
Originally Posted by C_ROY
My question is why spend the money for this rifle until you have to have it?

C ROY: Of course no offense meant at all,but I discovered years ago that the WORST time to get a 375 is just before you need it...and the sooner you get it the better.I have discovered that,if you are an active,traveling hunter, a 375 is something that ......well,when you need it,you need it badly,because very few other "trinkets" can truly take its' place.

It takes time and practice to master one,and anyone who says they can, without a lot of practice,just pick up a 375 and do well with it has simply not done a lot of shooting or hunting....I do not believe them,and have seen it many times.

In fact,I believe the real "trinkets" are silly things like 338's 8 mags, 340's etc...the 375 is the real deal and the one rifle over 30 cal. a traveling hunter should absolutely own, shoot, and be familiar with.

Bottom line...if you anticipate AT ALL,doing any hunting that involves Africa or Alaska, even if they are "dreams", you should get yourself a 375 H&H ASAP and learn to use it. Other stuff are just toys IMHO.
Eremicus

"The owner was afaird to shoot it.... I can understand why. I'd hate to have to shoot that thing much from the bench."

One of my more meme-rial days at the bench was sighting in 2 .375 H&H (one being a Whitworth)and 2 .338WM. Was a fun day. --- Mel
What Bob said--along with the fact that if you are going to actually use a .375 on dagerous game, you need time to debug it so everything works every time, all the time.

I got my own first .375 almost 20 years ago, the Mark X I still have, and worked it over until it was just right, even though I had no idea when (or even if) I was going to Africa. I got lucky and ended up going less than 2 years later--and was ready.
Ol Blue, Mel, Just shot my LH Ruger 375 28 times form the bench using the weighted sled for load work up. Sure makes it easier ended up with a .82" 3 shot @ 100 300 gr NP load! Looks like rifle is shooting well for our Bear Hunt! Now if I cn find the $ after paying Uncle Sam we can go!

Depending on your situation, now's a good time to buy a house, or a vehicle, and for some of the same reasons, go to Africa so, as Bob mentioned, you might consider getting one now and getting ready. I've seen some much reduced hunts lately, both in Africa and AK.

I'm a lefty so can't comment on most of the usual suspect right hand models (I have a Blaser R93) but it's my opinion of shooting a 340, a 375 H&H a lot, and a 416s too, that a 375 all up doesn't have to go much more than 81/2 lbs all up and ready.

Portability, fit & finish, handling qualities, and it works all the time are all important features you have to prioritize and decide on.
My Mark X has been a fantastic rifle. I smoothed it up, trigger job, and an Accurate Innovations stock. It is an honest 1/2 in . 3 shot rifle, funtions flawlessly and has served me very well on 2 trips to Africa including Buff, hope to go again. I like the ruger RSM but 2 heavy.
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Ol Blue, Mel, Just shot my LH Ruger 375 28 times form the bench using the weighted sled for load work up. Sure makes it easier ended up with a .82" 3 shot @ 100 300 gr NP load! Looks like rifle is shooting well for our Bear Hunt! Now if I cn find the $ after paying Uncle Sam we can go!

Kurt, That should do the job. But I'm not carrying that Lead Sled for you wink Are you sure Sitka will let you use NP instead of Barnes. I need to get to the range to check my zero, probably not off in the Macmillan. ---Mel

le
I have shot a .375,
It is a custom that my hunting buddies has, built on old remington enfield. As a matter of fact I load for him and have dies already.
Never shot it off the bench before. I looked at the CZ today , and it ain't much lighter than the ruger.
This thread is getting me anctious to buy one. But I need to keep in mind i am really in no big hurry.
To buy one today I would need to sell a prety cool old octagon barred 32/20 that is fun to shoot.
I might end up doing just that as my 44/40 SRC is as much fun. But If I take my time, I should be able to buy a .375 and keep those old 92s. They are both fun and a good investment...tj3006
On my one trip to Africa I used a Sako Safari .375 with a Leupold 1.5-5x. It is a push feed but more than makes up for that mostly theoretical disadvantage because it is a six shooter. Holds five in the box and one in the chamber. I had to shoot a buffalo four times and believe me it was comforting to realize I still had two in the rifle while waiting to see if he would get ut.p again after the fourth shot.
I'm not a gunwriter, and never gone to Africa but I own that little .375 which I consider excellent semi-custom for the price:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It seems it works pretty well. In two seasons, I killed 8 foxes and 2 boars that i stalekd and I killed one boar and one roe deer during driven hunts.

The 4 first foxes excepted, I achieved excellent bullet placement, recoil was quite easy to manage, and game falled in its tracks with no damage to the meat.

I do believe the Win 70 is a real good choice if one can be found.
All right grand venour, now you got me thinking.
I have a Model 70 classic in 7mm STW. Its the Right action length , and the mag box is right.
I don't know what it would cost me to build a .375 H&H on it.
Lets see. A new barrel from ER Shaw some sights from NEGC. A new recoil pad and some cross bolts.
I bet it would feed just fine. If Not My smith would be great at fixin that.
I gotta work up a price sheet. Problem is the darn thing shoots 3 160 grain nosler interbonds into about .25 inches fairly regularly.
But I never use it, so its worth thinkig about.
Thanks for showing me that nice looking model 70.
...tj3006

That would definitely work. I built a .300 H&H on a factory M70 Classic in 7mm STW. My STW didn't shoot very well, so it was a no-brainer....

I know it was 1 a.m. when you posted, but "Nosler Interbonds"?
Why not an original 375 HH mod. 70 ?
I am going to a gun show this weekend. Who knows what I might find.
...tj3006
Originally Posted by grand_veneur

GV
nothings holding me back but the 4K !! (and up)
I've had my .375 to Africa on two trips but haven't shot any dangerous game other than walking up on a wounded oryx but that's another story.

My rifle is a Rem 700 classic. It is light weight but that is a plus in the field. Most of my rifles are Remingtons so it is much easier to switch between calibers. Bench work is done with a sand bag on my shoulder and the time has always been fairly short because the rifle shoots very well.

Originally Posted by AFTERUM
Originally Posted by grand_veneur

GV
nothings holding me back but the 4K !! (and up)

4K ??? So much ? You mean with the Swarovski scope ?
negative, no scope, check gun broker, pre 64's especially the 375's are out of sight.....
If it has to be a 375, find something used on a CRF action, with the Model 70, Mark X and Whitworth at the top of the list. If it doesn't have to be a 375, get a new CZ 550 American in 9.3x62. Make sure it has the knurled mainspring retainer (described at http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/772101421?r=110103421#110103421)

I'd buy it ASAP and I'd shoot it enough to know that it worked perfectly before I took it hunting.

Okie John
Good new for me ...

I bought mine 1500 euros (brand new).

Custom mods: 500 euros (oil finish, stock lenght adj. and recoil pad, Mak pivot mount bases, scope zeroing, mod. irons, trigger weight adj.)

Bonus: second hand docter sight 2 + and custom low mount: 250.
uh...we might be talkin two different rifles.....pre 64, and post 64 classics, are both crf and look similar, but the prices are way different....
Sorry, I didn't mention it: it's a post'64 release of a Pre-64 type (CRF / long claw extractor), but IMO those ones are excellent rifles.
I bought a 7lb Sako Model 85 (Stainless Synthetic) this summer -in 375 H&H.

It is the finest factory rifle I have ever owned.

Even at 7lbs - it's recoil attenuation - is amazing.

It is as accurate as any factory rifle I've ever owned.

I wished everything I owned functioned as well, was designed as well, and was built as well.
amazing....you would think at 7lbs it would slap a snot bubble up on your nose.....is that sako's new crf?
Yes - it is CRF.

It is GUARANTEED to shoot 5 shots into an inch with factory ammo. It does that - easily.

I've shot 30-06's and 7mm magnums that felt far worse to shoot

It might be the patented stock - or perhaps it's the patented recoil pad. All I know, is that after the first afternoon of shooting it - I was pleasantly shocked and amazed by it. It's my new "Northern B.C. Mountain rifle".

Here's the pad - it is supposed to really absorb shock and is also supposed to deflect energy away from the shooter's cheek. To my shoulder and cheek - it works beyond expectations.

[Linked Image]
hey Brian, If it is not too much trouble, could you post a picture of the bolt?
Here is a Whitworth listed on Gunbroker. I can attest to the B&C stocks. They are tough as nails. My .375 was built by Dennis Olson and is quite similar to this one. And yeah it has a B&C stock.

375 H&H
[Linked Image]

It'll take a while - if you meant the bolt - alone - as I'm not at home - and my own home computer is broken.

I'll try though - if that's what you want.
I am going to have a 375 H&H built on a Winchester Model 70 stainless classic in 7mm Remington Magnum; barrel will be a Shilen, stock is a McMillan Echols Legend, if it ever arrives grin

Frankly, it will only be used if I go to Africa, and then only if I go to a country where a 375 is required. My 9.3x62 does everything that I would want a 375 to do, and everything that I used to use a 338 for.

Not saying that you don't need another rifle and chambering, but ......

You can kill simply everything in sub-Saharan Afrika, up to and including eland, with a .30-'06.

I have.

Steve

Originally Posted by dogzapper

You can kill simply everything in sub-Saharan Afrika, up to and including eland, with a .30-'06.

I have.

Steve

Yup. But I do so love the 375. All the rifles mentioned are good choices I think, but for me, not a 700. jorge
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I have.

Steve

Yup. But I do so love the 375. All the rifles mentioned are good choices I think, but for me, not a 700. jorge

Friend Jorge,

We are indeed rifle loonies!!!!

And that ain't bad. gringringrin

Your buddy Steve

BCBrian,

Nice rifle and a great black bear mount! The eyes look like they will blink at any moment. I wish I could find a gun shop within 100 miles of home to go handle a Sako SS 85. The 14 inch LOP they list for the Model 85 rifles would be on the long side of what I prefer and they don't look like you can shorten the stock easily. Good hunting to you.

Scott

I have.

Steve

yes, you can, but on the larger stuff the .375 sure is nice.....like this bravo who needed two 300 gr. TBBCs in the chest to calm him down.

[Linked Image]
Steve NO,

I have killed kudu with various cartridges from the 7x57 to .375 H&H. I have yet to detect a pattern in how much killing they require--except that if hit right they don't require much.

In fact only two of my kudu have been shot more than once, both because the first shot wasn't perfect. This was because both kudu were running: One was hit a few inches behind the shoulder, the other through one shoulder and the front of the far shoulder. Both bulls stopped within 100 yards because they were felling poorly and I shot 'em again, whether they needed it or not. It turned out they didn't, but you never know. Those two were shot with the 9.3x62 Mauser and .375 H&H.

All the rest of my kudu have been shot when they were standing still, at ranges out to 360 yards. They all fell inside 60 yards, no matter whether they were hit with a 7x57 or a .375. In fact the other kudu I've shot with a .375 went farther than those shot with the 7x57 or .30-06!

Also, after quite a bit of observation I am not entirely sure that a .375 makes all that much difference on the supposed really tough plains game animals like gemsbok, wildebeest and zebra. I have seen too many of those killed neatly with one shot
from cartridges like the .270, 7x57, .308 and .30-06. And I have seen quite a few of those animals turn into running gun battles after being hit around the edges with cartridges like the .338 and .375.

But I probably will take my .375 to Africa again and use it on plains game, just as I did the first time I went, and for the same reason: It's my "African" rifle!
you can see where this guy was hit....I was glad he got hit with a .375 and really didn't care to trade down. shots were offhand at about 90 yards as he was getting out of Dodge, second one was after he was off his feet.

a few days earlier I'd double lunged a zebra with my '06and 180 partitions and had him run a couple of hundred yards through thick stuff, along with his herd..... found him, but that experience made me opt for the .375 for the kudu....just because I could. and because its Africa.
I understand!

However, I have also seen a zebra double-lunged with a good bullet from a .375 (260-grain AccuBond, which went all the way through and created lots of damage) and it went 200 yards--and without a blood trail until the very end.

My wife killed a big Burchell's stallion in South Africa last year with a .308 Winchester, using a 150-grain E-Tip. It was perfectly shot as well and went 160 yards before falling.

The examples can go on and on, butanymore I am pretty much convinced the animals are going to so what they are going to do, and within reason what we hit them with doesn't make near as much difference as where we hit them. The bigger cartridges (and bullets) may help break bigger bones, and may create a bigger blood trail. But after seeing too many fall in basically the same distance regardless if they were hit with a .338 or .375 or something "too small" I am not very sure about anything except shot placement anymore.

I did not get an exit on my zebra and what little blood trail there was started late and was obliterated by his entourage...

by and large, though, I agree with you....put a bullet that expands and holds together through the front third of the animal and the rest doesn't matter that much.

but when you've spent a fortune to get there and hunt, and they're going to charge you for anything that gets away, I'll take any advantage that's readily available. plus, as you say, hauling around a .375 model 70 seems kind of obligatory in Africa. I really like that rifle, too.
And the last may be the most important factor.

Generally "liking" a rifle means you can shoot it well, it feels right in your hands, it looks good to you, it stays sighted-in, and the bullet/load do the job. Which is exactly why I like my old Mark X .375--and you like your Model 70. If there's all of that, then you'll kill well!
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

I have.

Steve

yes, you can, but on the larger stuff the .375 sure is nice.....like this bravo who needed two 300 gr. TBBCs in the chest to calm him down.

[Linked Image]

Hey, like bras, the bigger the better but up to a point. I shot most of my PG with a 375 H&H, but given one rifle choice, it would have to be my 300 Weatherby. jorge
My $0.02 is that if I needed a .375 to go to Africa I'd just go buy a .375 Ruger Hawkeye African Model for $875 instead of putting $3,500 into a CZ550. I'd go to Africa a lot earlier with the difference.

As for the .375 H&H Rugers, when I checked into this about 5 years ago, Ruger was "saving money" by using the same barrel contour for their .458 Lott, .416, and .375. That's why the .375s were so heavy. More metal, less hole.

Further--again if money for the safari was a problem--if I wasn't going to hunt dangerous game I'd forget the .375 and use whatever good rifle I already owned.

Like Jorge, I prefer the .300 Weatherby. I started using it for hunting because I had inherited one. With a good hit it kills with one shot, the game never (yet) goes more than about 75 yards and usually less, and it nearly always leaves an exit hole with Partitions.
I had a look at the sako web site,
That Kodiak version of the 85 looks real cool to me. Its got a laminate stock so it could be cut and a new pad installed, and its got a a barrel a just under 22 inches. I like that !
Its not real traditional in apearence, but it looks like a great tool for the job ! Wonder about the price ?
...tj3006
Indy,

He was going to have the CZ rebuilt, including a custom fancy-walnut stock. That's what the $3500 was about.

I pointed out that in much serious hunting with a pair of CZ 550's over the past few years, from Alaska to Africa, I have never found reason wish for a Winchester-type 3-position safety, since the 550 safety is a 3-position and also much handier to use than a M70's. The trigger is completely adjustable and works very well. Those sorts of things (which don't need to be done) were going to eat up about $500.

The rest was the custom stock, and he wanted it because he didn't like the "Bavarian" style stock on the 550 in .375. Then he realized that this rifle is now available with an "American classic" style stock, so that doesn't have to be done either. he can get a CZ 550 .375 for about $1100.

I have owned and used both the CZ's and Ruger Hawkeye African. They are both very good values for the price. The CZ has nicer wood and the bedding doesn't have to be beefed up, as it does in the Hawkeye African to make sure the stock doesn't split. The CZ comes with a very adequate recoil pad, the Ruger doesn't. The CZ's trigger is better, though the Hawkeye's is pretty good. They both feature dovetails on the action for scope rings, and good iron sights. The CZ comes in the "traditional" .375, which would be a plus for some people but not for others. To me it's pretty much a toss-up. The Ruger needs some upgrading (recoil pad, stock bedding, maybe a trigger job) and the CZ doesn't, so in the end the price will come out about the same.

As far as cartridges, just about everybody who hunts big game in the Lower 48 already owns a plains game rifle. I have not only taken the gamut of plains game with cartridge from 7x57 to .375, but seen maybe 10 times what I've shot taken by other hunters. If you have a rifle from .270 up it will work just fine, given the always-noted good bullets and good shooting. The only plains game animal I might go a little heavier that a .270 for is eland--and then again I might not. Certainly a .30-06 will do the job if anybody absolutely disbelieves in the under-.30's.
MuleDeer: Have you seen the Remington 798 Safari in 375 H&H? If you have could you comment on it as compared to a CZ550 American in 375 H&H?

idahoguy101
It wouldn't be too bad a choice. I am not crazy about the trigger-safety on the 798 action, and would probably replace it with a 3-position. But other than that it's a good rifle--not as esthetic perhaps as the Ruger African or CZ Safari, but it's a Model 98 action, always a point in any rifle's favor.

My own .375 H&H is based on a Whitworth barreled action, the rifle that years ago was the forerunner of the 798. I've had some work done to it (including a 3-position Gentry safety and NECG express sights) and stocked it myself in pretty plain black walnut so that it comes up perfectly with my eyes aligned with the sights.
I'm a bit late on this conversation, so I'll apologize early to those who've post similar post. I've tried to read them all, but one never knows exactly where one is at on these long posted topics.

First of all, if you're looking for a large caliber rifle, around
or similar to the 375 H&H you need to consider all your options.
To acknowledge my own bias, I own/prefer a 375 H&H, so much so,
I'm seriously considering having my 300 H&H rebarreled to 375 H&H.

However, that may not be YOUR best choice. Depending on YOUR
sense of felt recoil, possibly a .416 Remington might be a better
choice. On the other hand, possibly the 375 Ruger might be a good choice. There are a lot of variables here, not the least is recoil. Also not the least if you handload, volumes of powder!

My point is lets start at the beginning! This is probably better covered in Kevin (Doktari) Robertson's book, "The Perfect Shot for African Game". Kevin's suggestion is that the 375 H&H is
over powered to take Dangerous African Game. Suggesting that
somewhere between 2300 & 2400 fps might be the 'better' velocity
for a 300 gr bullet from the 375! Providing better penetration
and 'killing' power than a bullet fired at 2500-2600+ fps! NOT
to mention less recoil!

I won't go into the details at this point, but leave it simply to mention, a 300 gr bullet from any 375 cal rifle traveling
with a MV of 2300 fps, loaded with a premium bullet should pass
thru both shoulders of a Cape Buffalo shot at 50-60 yds out.
(Typical range most Cape Buffalo are shot. Whereas, some 375
cal bullets weighing 300 grs with a higher MV either fail or,
pass thru and kill another animal on the opposite side. Something to be aware of if you're hunting in Africa, as this results in more trophy fees, or worse depending on what you're
hunting.)

But here is my point, a 300-gr any kind of bullet has less recoil
than the same 300 gr bullet launched at 2500 or more fps from the same rifle.

I'm not an experienced African hunter by any means, but you could do worse by listening to many that are. And, that is my point. African game has been traditionally hunted with large caliber, slow moving bullets, and been quite successful. On the
other hand, the chap using the latest and geatest .460 Weatherby
have actually MISSED the animal at 50 yds, or worse, non-lethal
wounding the animal. Shot placement is critical. Muzzle velocity
is relative to shot placement and the hunter's ability to absorb
recoil.

I went the .375 route a couple of years ago, though all I do is daydream of Africa.

I lucked into a Model 70 Classic Super Grade in 7mm mag at a good price, and Conrad Gerega offered me a Winchester factory SS .375H&H barrel with sights that he had in his rack.

He modified and trued up the action, installed the barrel and added a set of Leupold QD mounts & a Leupold 2x-7x VXII scope for me.

He also modified the rails to allow a four-round magazine capacity.

My only complaint is that the rifle weighs in at over 10 pounds, lovely to shoot but not to carry.

I'm still tempted by that Ruger Hawkeye African model though . . .
© 24hourcampfire