Home
Sorry if this idea has been forwarded before, but the combo gun thread on the Europe hunting board got me thinking.

I know rifle loonies are into specialization, but how many of us have longed for a nice combo or actually brought along a second gun into the field "in case"?

The Savage 24 .22/.410 I cut my combo gun teeth on at my cousins' fish camp near Jacksonville in the early '70s was a graceful if utilitarian wand. The recent ones are ugly, heavy and handle like extry long pieces of firewood.

How many of us would buy a Savage 24 that was properly executed using today's better technology and properly made (and pretty) wood stocks?

Most of the combo guns made by others are either super high priced or similarly clubby and still relatively expensive.

Savage, or perhaps Ruger, might do this if enough people seem interested.

Beyond that, how about making some American (or even Japanese, Browning) combo guns and drillings at a price point regular folks could scrape up?

My personal version would be a .357 Maximum (properly throated)over 20 ga. set up with a pretty trap-style stock that's drop would allow wingshooting over the top of the Weaver-rail, pop-up irons and a low Aimpoint Micro or Leupold 2.5X. (If I could find one of those 18-in. Camper 24s made in .357 Mag/20 ga. I'd buy it and try to turn it into the above)

Use of an alloy frame could keep the weight down around 6 pounds.

The .357 Max driving a 180 X-bullett at 2,000 or so FPS out of the 24-inch barrel could easily take most Lower 48 game, and smaller fare with .38 wadcutter on up through standard .357 Magnums. With today's heavier than lead shot a 20 ga. will kill any game a 12 ga. can.

Wouldn't be too many fleas on a 6.8 SPC/20 ga. either.

For that matter, Ruger could make a Target Gray and Laminate Alaskan Red Label Combination gun in .45/70/12 ga. Yowza! Make that one about 7 pounds at least.

Talk to me, people, and maybe some manufacturer might see this.
Nice idea and while I might buy one for the safe I think the reality is that is where it would spend most of it's time.
Something that does everything doesn't do anything well.
Very good idea. Like most of the guys who use to patrol their ground off-season for foxes-crows-boars-pigeons and need an easy to shoulder gun during Driven hunt season, and a boar + rabbit + woodcock + pheasant gun for the informal group patrols in December, I'd really need a "go to" combo rifle (like a 30-06 / 20 Ga), with external cocking device ... but I don't need a 4 to 5 K� rifle as a "go to" thicket and mud rifle.
I like combination guns and think that they are very handy.

If I was designing a new utility gun, I'd like to see a little more "utility" built into it and for me that means a stainless barreled action and synthetic or laminated stock/forearm. I'd also go with the shotgun over rifle configuration. As far as chamberings go, I'd like to see the rifle barrel offered in 22LR, 22MRF, 223, 7.62x39, 30-30, and maybe 357Max/Mag. I'd like to see the shotgun barrel offered in 20 Gauge with screw-in chock tubes. This gun would have an integral scope base machined for Weaver style QR rings for ease of mounting a scope or red-dot/aimpoint sight. An adjustable comb for shooting with a scope would also be nice, but probably adds too much complexity to the utility gun's KISS concept of "keep it super simple!"

I have owned a couple of Savage 24Vs in 357 Magnum, but I don't ever recall seeing 1 of the 24CS matte nickel finished 357/20 camper specials. A 357 Maximum would probably be a good choice, but the 30-30 would be easier to find ammo for, probably a good thing to consider for a utility gun.

I had great hopes for the EAA IZH-94 combination guns, but those that I have seen and the 1 (12/6.5x55) that I owned were all pretty poorly designed and executed. Savage managed to make serviceable utility gun at a fair price in the 24 series, but I think that it would be hard to build a quality utility gun and still sell it at utility prices.

EDIT: I have heard that Ruger had a well-known NH 'smith (and internationally known conservationist) build some proto-type combination guns on the Red Label platform. I heard that they were built in 12 Gauge over 7x57R, 7x65R, 30-40 Krag, 8x57JR, 9.3x72R, and 45-70. I also heard that they were field tested at the Blue Mountain Forest & Game Preserve in Grantham, NH, not far from Ruger's Pine Tree Castings operation. When Bill Sr. died, the project died with him, as it was viewed as an expensive, low volume, $$ pit that was done only because "the old man" was interested in the project.

Jeff
I see use here for the original .22 LR or .22 WMR in combination with a .410 or 20 gauge for small game hunting. I doubt a CF combo would make much sense.

In Europe where they may shoot hare, deer, boar and fox all on the same drive zwillings and drillings do. Their seasons are also months long overlapping greatly allowing such drives. Here big game hunters avoid shooting small game for fear of alerting the larger game and tend to target one or at most two species at a time.

The only possible application I could see for a centerfire where legal would be a still hunter who wanted a rifle round followed by a load of buckshot. It would be a nice Gee Whiz thing but limited in application here.
Good idea to spawn this off the Europe forum and put it here.
I would like a .357/20 gauge combo, but it would have to have nice bluing, nice wood with checkering, good adjustable iron sights, and some provision for mounting optical sights, either a top rail or something proprietary under $100.00.

If it is not as nicely made as a Remington 700 Classic or M-70 Featherweight, don't bother.
I, too, would like to see a high-grade O/U rifle/shotgun Stalking combi - but see some snags in the way.

Europeans have had several to choose from, but all seem to have tha larger shot barrel on top with the rifles barrel under, ala drilling - which leave them out for my tastes.

Once a utility-type gun is raised out of it's $$$ class, the options for it start to fall rapidly - like a vastly reduced pool of potential buyers like the above poster who's only interested in a "utility" type; and like the manufacturers who look at such as a more risky gamble for a potentially smaller demand.

I, for instance, LOVE the new BRNO Effect single-shot rifle, as I do the Merkel - but there's no way I can now come up with the wherewithal to ever have one in my hands.

Originally Posted by Rangr44
I, too, would like to see a high-grade O/U rifle/shotgun Stalking combi - but see some snags in the way.

Europeans have had several to choose from, but all seem to have tha larger shot barrel on top with the rifles barrel under, ala drilling - which leave them out for my tastes.

That's because we use to use big game rifle caliber on combi guns, and, concerning OU, because the effects of recoil are easier to manage for the action if the barrel with the higher energy round is the one that is closer to the locking action.
I would like to see the Savage 24 in its original form return. Coldcase1984 said it all in the first link -- it is handy, graceful and it works! It was and is a small game meat gun and here on the farm I could still make use of one!
I just wish I could get a good light synthetic stock for my 24 - 30-30 over 20g makes for a good quail gun during deer season: but the wood is too heavy, and so the gun is too.

A 28 Gauge and 30-30 using an aluminum frame, and synthetic stock could really make for the light versatile gun the Savage should be.
I like the thought of combination guns. As a kid I spent a lot of time with Savage 24's in various configurations. As a young adult I always kind of wanted (but never enough to spend the money) one of the Ithaca "turkey guns" on the market at the time, .222/12 gauge. I killed a deer once with a friend's Savage .223/20 gauge (I won't mention which barrel for fear of starting that business up again.) All that said, I doubt that I'd go out and buy a savage 24 again. In my mind they were kind of a depression era item, a gun so a kid could have a rifle and a shotgun without spending for both. Let's remember, it wasn't too long ago that a guy with one .22, one shotgun, and one cf rifle was considered pretty well-equipped. I think we're too specialized and too affluent for the Savage 24 to make any kind of major comeback in today's market.
Still wouldn't mind a Savage for a truck gun but this 12/12/30-30 solved all my combo needs.

[Linked Image]
Steelhead, I am a bit surprised that is not im 7x57R or even 30-06. It is nice looking. What manufacturer produced it?
Charles Daly imported J.P. Sauer made in Prussia, turned 100 this year.

Don't know ANYPLACE in the good ole USA I can't pick up a box of 2 3/4" 12 gauge shells and 30/30 ammo.
Lee,

Depression-era thinking seems to be coming around again for some dang reason.

Not to mention the Anointed One's slip of the tongue in Mexico this week "I believe we should have a gun, uh uh uh, assault weapons ban."
I picked up a Savage 2400 a couple years ago. It was Savage's previous attempt at a higher end combination gun. It was made in Finland by Tikka and was essentially a cheaper version of the Tikka 412. My particular model is a 12 gauge over .308 Winchester. The barrels regulate well, the rifle barrel is accurate and the shotgun barrel is tightly choked. I have found it to be entirely satisfactory and can't picture ever parting with it.

I carry this gun continually throughout September and October when grouse hunting and it gives me a the option of a good rifle round in case I get the chance to fill a black bear tag. I like that a lot.
That is a nice friggin gun. cool
I would sure love to see one, partly because I owned one of the "nice" Savages (a 20/.22 Magnum) for about a decade. I purchased new when I was 16, and killed a lot of game with it. I finally gave it to a younger brother-in-law, which may or may not have been a mistake.

My experiences with that gun convinced me that two shotgun barrels were better than one, and a centerfire barrel better than a rimfire. Which is why I own three drillings now, one a Daly/Sauer hammer model in 12x12/.30-30 (over 100 years old), another older no-name German hammer gun in 16x16/9.3x72R, and my "perfect" all-everything-in-Montana gun, a new (2002) Sauer in 12x12/.30-06, with a claw-mounted 1.5-5x Leupold.

I haven't found any "compromise" in these guns, because they are all light enough to hunt with and handle as shotguns very well. But it would cost a lot more than most Americans would pay. Ruger tried to produce a quality side-by-side shotgun at prices most Americans would pay and so far it hasn't worked out all that well. Add another barrel and things get a little tougher yet.

Have you shot that 16x16x9.3x72 yet John?

I wouldn't buy an updated Savage 24 because the originals had terrible balance. If they could extend the barrels to 28" and make the whole thing weigh 6 pounds, balanced right in front of the hinge pin, I'd buy one in 30-30 / 20ga in an instant grin
Not yet. It had a couple of minor problems so is with a very fine German-descended gunsmith right now. But I have loaded a lot for both slightly "short" 16 chambers and the 9.2x72R so there should be no problems. It is a nifty gun, with a cartrudge trap in buttstock, though it lacks the tang-mounted flip-up aperture like Steelhead's and my Daly's.

Incidentally, with the tang sight on my rifle shoots 170-grain .30-30 factory loads just slightly high at 100 yards.
Mine was a a few inches high with both the tang and the barrel sight. I feed it some Hornady Leverevolution 160's and it they are printing right above the front sight.
That's not a bad deal at all!

Hard to beat 12 and .30-30 for versatile.
I'm amazed at how the windage is dead nuts on with both sights. Haven't loaded for it and might not, just bought a bunch of Hornady ammo.
I have a chance to buy a NIB Savage Model 24 .223/12GA
for 500, dont know if thats a good price or not.
Mine was the same way. Not bad for a rifle built so long ago. I tried mine first with factory (before I bought it) but it is easy to match the same loads POI. I am using 170 Partitions partly because it might have to shoot an elk one day. but Speer and Hornady bullets shoot to the same place with the same load of RL-15.

So far have taken whitetails, mule deer, sharptails, pheasants and ruffed grouse with it. Took it on a pronghorn hunt, but never quite found the right circumstances to sneak within 150, my self-imposed limit with it, partly because I was "guiding" some friends and didn't get to hunt as much on my own as I wanted. But it works!

Haven't killed with it yet, bought it last October. Did hunt it for blacktails and turkey but nothing happened the days I was carrying it (not counting a missed shot at the south end of northbound goose)
I would by a 24 in 410/22

I learned on my uncles and would love to have my own
The 12 Gauge Savage 24s are quite a bit heavier than the 20 Gauge versions and are generally not as well regarded.

If you're interested in the Savage 24s, Marshall Stanton wrote a really good, maybe the best that I've read, piece on the Savage 24 on his www.beartoothbullets.com site. In fact, a lot of the stuff that Marshall has written and posted on his site is good practical information with a eye toward keeping costs to a minimum.

Jeff

I don't know if Savage will make your combo and what price will it cost, but you can find some good and affordable combos made by italian companies like Fair, Rizzini, Zoli, Finn (same as former Tikka). Zoli has a good drilling less expensive than the germans or french (Mathelon) one. The FAIR over under combo is very light and works well.
If your finances are OK, you have french Chapuis and Mathelon or the german Blaser, Merkel and Krieghoff. Here in France we find also used old models Sauer very good condition for fair price.
I really like the Merkel B4, it's a modern style combo with strong lock, scope ready and independant cocking system, precision is high and shot barrel is top. It's available in 12 or 20/76 and 222, 223, 243,6,5x57R,7x57R,7x65R,308,30-06,30R Blaser,8x57R,9,3x74R.
Blaser offer (i think) the same choice.
[Linked Image]
Here it's the express version with double rifled barrels.
That is a snazzy looking gun. Does the stock/front sight put the shot charge in the right place?

One fellow mentioned 28-in bbls. and another 28-ga. and that gave me another thought:

A 5.5 pound .25/20 over 28-ga.! The mind reels with the possibility of a 100-gr. SWC over a pinch of Bullseye for a sort of Super CB Long. Stiffer loads can and have dropped many a deer.

My great-uncle killed truckloads of blacktail in Northern California with a .25/20.

And an ideal "backdoor gun" for suburban types with varmint problems and a Gentleman's Squirrel Gun to boot. Note: make of that what you will Miz Garafalo!
Over the years, I've bought and sold lots of guns. One of them was a 16X16X9X57R that somebody made in europe before WWII. Horn trigger guard, 2 9/16ths inch chambers and that nifty little sight that poped up on the rib when I pushed on the tang switch.
I had the chambers opened to 2 3/4ths inches and opend some 8X57 JPS cases to 9mm for some .358 bullets. Shot beautifully. Left barrel was choked like FC, while the right was close to IC. My handloads, about like the .35 Remington or a weak .358 Win, shot right where the rifles sights looked.
Paid a whole $250 bucks for it from a San Francisco pawn shop in the late 60's.
Sold it for $400. Didn't like the greener style side safety. A little tough to get to in a hurry on quail.
Didn't take long to miss that Drilling. Ah, me. Live and learn.
Me ? I'd opt, probably, for a light, trim Savage in .410 or 28 ga. over the .22 RF magnum or the .22 Hornet. E
Many of the ideas posted so far would be great to have in for alot of the hunting I've done in the Midwest where long shots are the exception. I've been hunting rabbits behind beagles and more than once have had a coyote or deer appear. Now that IN allows pistol cartridge rifles, a 357 Max with the 200gr Flex Tip would make a handy combo to either guage of shotgun to have in those situations.
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984

My personal version would be a .357 Maximum (properly throated)over 20 ga. set up with a pretty trap-style stock that's drop would allow wingshooting over the top of the Weaver-rail, pop-up irons and a low Aimpoint Micro or Leupold 2.5X.

Like this? Savage 24, 357 Max over 20, 24 inch barrels, utility walnut furniture.
[Linked Image]

Savage stopped making the 24, they're no longer showing on their website. And it's just as well, the newer 24F's were heavy and ugly, not much like the older 24 rimfires and 24V centerfires.
I don't think you'll see them produced again, as you stated, today everyone wants a specialty gun, seems to be very little demand for a combination gun.

The older 24V's were nice, I think the combination of 223 over 20 gauge makes an excellent coyote/fox fur gun, and a 22 hornet or 223 over 20 can make an excellent turkey gun where legal.
Here's a 24V I redid and restocked in original Savage wood, 223 over 20, see thru bases with an older Redfield 3X9 traditional on it, came out pretty nice for a beater, unfortunately, the case coloring on the receiver is faded from hard use in its prior life.
[Linked Image]
"My experiences with that gun convinced me that two shotgun barrels were better than one, and a centerfire barrel better than a rimfire. Which is why I own three drillings now, one a Daly/Sauer hammer model in 12x12/.30-30 (over 100 years old), another older no-name German hammer gun in 16x16/9.3x72R, and my "perfect" all-everything-in-Montana gun, a new (2002) Sauer in 12x12/.30-06, with a claw-mounted 1.5-5x Leupold.

I haven't found any "compromise" in these guns, because they are all light enough to hunt with and handle as shotguns very well. But it would cost a lot more than most Americans would pay. Ruger tried to produce a quality side-by-side shotgun at prices most Americans would pay and so far it hasn't worked out all that well. Add another barrel and things get a little tougher yet."

My drilling experience pretty well follows JB's. I love hunting with 'em. Mine are all 12ga, with one in 9.3x74R and another in 7x65R(and an antique in 9.3 Sauer). You could literally hunt any creature on earth with these two guns, if need be. Sadly, I'm afraid they're a niche gun in the USA, and probably always will, and thus would sell miserably. Fortunately, there are lot's of high quality European guns out there on the used market, if you keep your eyes peeled. Be warned.....they're addicting! grin

Jeff
One "problem" is that in a few states the various hunting seasons don't run concurrently. West Virginia is like this to a large extent. You cannot kill a ruffed grouse or a squirrel, for instance, during deer season, I believe. This seems weird to a Montana boy, because for long periods each fall we can pretty well whack about any legal game in the woods.

It isn't even that hard to find a combination gun that is supposdly "difficult" to find. For some reason in drillings the .30-06 isn't paired all that often with 12-gauge barrels, though you'd think it would be a natural. They can be ordered, but I was determined to find a used one and save several thousand dollars. It took about a year of looking in all sorts of places, but the right one did come along, for about half the price of a new one. I can't think of a better general travel gun than a 12x12x.30-06, either here or in Africa or Europe or even New Zealand--partly because a drilling breaks down just like a double shotgun, so fits into a take-down case. The scope usually comes off and replaces easily as well.

JB,

PA is kinda funny that way, as well. During deer season, deer are basically all you can shoot, as small game season closes during rifle deer. Here in AK, we fortunately, have lots of drilling friendly overlap.

Heading to PA in a few days for spring turkey, with the 12/7x65R. Turkey hunting closes at mid day, so I'll pop the 6x on, and hunt groundhogs in the afternoon. Heck, rainbow season will be open, maybe a fly tied with some turkey feathers, and whistlepig fur, would make for a neat Hillbilly MacNab! grin

Jeff
One of the best days I ever had was shooting Francolin and Guinea fowl with a Savage 22lr/410. We had a wonderful time after all our "serious" hunting was done. It taught me the value of a combo gun. I have 2 Savage 24s (22lr/410,22WMR/410) and they never go anywhere except in the van. I have a 16-16/8x57R I. Meffert drilling I carry in the woods when I'm walking( just in case).
I've had several bigger Savage combos and never used them. I sold them a few years ago. I also have a Valmet 412 with 5 barrels but I only use the 9.3/9.3 barrels.
The Savages got very clunky as they aged. The early ones I have have plastic stocks and they are handy. The wood stocks always stayed at home no matter how much I was determined to use them.
In today's market I think it is a very limited item. Good for farm folk and people who live on the edge of town so to speak.
I saw a nice pre-war Merkel combo gun (12/7x65R)yesterday with a Hensoldt scope on it for $4200 at a local shop. Nice gun but too pricey for me for limited use.
I own two Stevens 22-410 ou's. One I picked up 3 years ago at a local hardware store. It has the plastic forend and a factory wood stock. I had to put new sights on it but it worked out well. I used the rear sight from a Mossberg target 22 and a Marble front sight. This 22 is real accurate. The second one is the one my Dad bought the year I was born (1947). This one has been rechambered to 22 WMR, but he always used 22 WRF's or 22 Special. It's plastic stock is beat up but original. My younger brother ended up with it, but as he does not hunt, gave it to me last year. I have nice Benelli and Browning shotguns, and I love them dearly, but I notice myself carring the old Stevens more and more. I don't duck or goose hunt, but do a lot of Partridge hunting. I don't think I'd call it a specialty gun, just a handy and usefull gun. I've got a little work to do on the old mans gun, but I'll get it done this summer and ready for the birds this fall.
They're a great idea for a survival weapon, but I have gone 50 years (my gunbuying life) and not bought one, so I doubt I'd buy a new one. I agree with the poster who indicated that multi-purpose guns are seldom the right answer for any one sporting use.

A kid I grew up with had one in .22/.410, think it was a Savage (?)and I shot it a good bit, or as much as I could afford shells. It may have had a plastic stock/fore-end, but maybe it didn't. What I do remember, the stock wasn't right for the shotgun, but I can't remember why. It just seemed awkward.
I would buy another if they made them in something closer to the size of the earlier ones.

I do have a 24D 22Mag/ 20 gauge and it sees quite a bit of use.

I had Allison & Carey put a Williams aperture rear and a Firesight front on it. That really helped accuracy.

The 357 Max over a .20 gauge was a great combo when they made them [I have only seen one].
hi drducati,

Very expensive that Merkel combo, even with scope we can get for much less in France, even if normally we are more in high prices country for firearms. May be it was specially engraved or had optional fancy wood?

This B4 Merkel is available in 12 or 20gauge not 28 at the moment. Barrels are 24in long. The regulation was good for me with good shot pattern a 30meters and perfect accuracy with rifled barrel.
Using french sabot slug fin stabilised Sauvestre 12/70ga, i was able to put one slug at 50m in the group of three 9,3x74R shot at a hundred. Perfect for big game hunting.
But as akjeff wrote i prefer drilling, i am more big game oriented than small game so i choose an Express drilling Merkel 961 with french trigger version, first one fire the 2 upper barrels, second the shot barrel. Calibers 2x9,3x74r 1x20/76ga. Use Aimpoint micro H1 for battue and can mount a scope for longer range shooting, zeroed with the first barrel to 150m. In that case the 961 is more a 1 shot rifle for standing animals.
Bit expensive but very polyvalent, very good when you travel by car, boat or plane. Can hunt 95% of all game in the world, theorically...
Regards
Dom
Hi Mule Deer,

After reading all posts about the Savage 24 i spoke with a french friend who told me he knows what seems to be a Savage 20ga/30-30Winch. Does this model exist or my friend made mistake? Could be for sale, what's price can get for such combo in the US? May be will try to deal it.
Many thanks for your help
Dominique
Dominique,
Savage made the older 24V in 30-30 over 20 gauge for quite a number of years prior to going into receivership in 1988. They were wood stocked and the deluxe models were very nice looking guns. I have 6 of them, 2 are 1973 vintage and 1 1980 vintage, all 3 are unfired, NIB, and I have the original boxes also. When Savage went back into production of the 24 after coming out of receivership, they produced the 24F(with tupperware stock), I know the 24F was produced in 30-30 over 12, don't know if it was made in 30-30 over 20.

Prices vary widely, depending on geographic location and condition here, I've seen them go for anywhere from $250 to $550.
Marseille,

Wink pretty much covered it. My wife had a 20/.30-30 for a while, I believe purchased for $250 or so. But then she bought a much niver German combo gun in 16x9.3x72R and sold the Savage.
If you are thinking about buying a used Savage 24V in 30-30 over 20 Gauge, try to shoot a box of cartridges through it before you buy it, as 24Vs can be pretty inconsistent shooters.

I've probably owned 20+ CF 24s over the years, mostly chambered in 222/20 and 223/20, but a few 30-30/20s, 22Hornet/20s, and 357Mag/20s. About 1/2 of them would shoot close to the POA, but the other 1/2 were liable to produce a POI somewhere within 6" of the POA, but not reliably to the same point within that 6" circle. IOW, you might get a 2" shooter or you might get a 6" shooter and since the barrels don't have any provision for being regulated, there isn't anything that you can do to fix a 6" shooter.

As is often the case, I'm sure that somebody out there has owned Savage 24s that shoot better groups than Remington 40Xs and will tell you that I am full of beans. Match grade accuracy combined with Savage 24s has not been my experience, so I will add the caveat that, as with many things, YMMV.

Jeff
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
As is often the case, I'm sure that somebody out there has owned Savage 24s that shoot better groups than Remington 40Xs and will tell you that I am full of beans. Match grade accuracy combined with Savage 24s has not been my experience, so I will add the caveat that, as with many things, YMMV.

Jeff

I'd say you're spot on Jeff and anybody that contradicts it either has been smoking to much of the weed, or never shot a Savage 24. Barrel regulation isn't one of the 24s stronger points, neither is the trigger, but definitely huntable grade accuracy within reasonable distances.

I find it to be a rare 24 that shoots both it's barrels to the same point of impact. I solve the problem with see thru scope mounts, using the scope for the rifle barrel, and irons for the slug or shot pattern. Much as I dislike see thru mounts, I find them necessary on a 24.

I thank you all a lot for your answers, if i can take it for 250 to 300 euros will be for my 14 years old daughter. And i take note for accuracy and regulation possible problems; will try it before!
When you look at this Savage 24, be sure to check the roll stamp on the barrel to insure that it reads "Savage 24V, Series ?". The successor to the 24V was the 24F, matte finished with synthetic stock/forearm, with a cross-bolt safety. The 24V is more nicely finished than is the 24F. The only built-in flaw in the pre-24F series 24s is that the stock bolt can be over-tightened and the stress will cause cracks/splits where the wood stock attaches to the receiver/frame.

Good luck!

Jeff
I bought a used one from Mule Deer (.22lr/20ga) as the price was right and I had been re-reading the chapter in "The Old Man and the Boy" where they shut down the school because everyone was sick except for him and he went hunting for a mixed bag every day. I sighted in the .22 barrel and patterned the 20, but haven't drawn blood with it. I kept it in my pickup while I was cutting wood at my parents place, but that was the extent of it. If I was going to pay new gun prices for one, I'd probably spend the extra money and get a drilling.
Thanks again Jeff!
I've had a fairly hard time finding combo guns and the European iterations are dreadfully expensive for a full-time cop with three teen-agers. Have to keep my eye open for a clean 24V, I reckon.

Unless, ahem, Savage is ready to make things right again!
In Virginia there is a fall turkey season that comes in for the last month or so of deer season. Several of my friends have bought baikal combo guns and use them to great effect. Those things aren't very pretty but they shoot straight. Too heavy for me and I don't care for the double trigger. I'm waiting for the right combo gun to come my way. A good looking, well regulated 20ga over 30-30 that would take a micro red dot would be perfect.
I been thinking about a Drilling for some time now. A 7x57R x 7x 57R x 16 or 20 ga would make this old White tail hunter a happy camper. But to get to that end one needs to be able to pay the price for something that useful. It would be nice if Ruger did a version of the Red Lable, say 20 or 28 ga over 30-30 or something along that line, keep it light and shootable. and to be able to buy for around 3K or so.
How about somebody like NEF taking a shot at something like this,with the capability to have interchangeable barrel sets on one receiver,like they do now with their rifles/shotguns ? That could really be nifty......might get a lot more interest too.
I would not mind a decently made little combo gun again. Making it well, would of course, up the price. I believe a well put together Mod 24 would be in the $500 range.

What I want to see is a .30-30 over a 12 Ga though. Another good coupling would be 5.56 over a 20 ga.

For me, Iron sights are out, due to my eyes, but this would be a perfect little gun for a quality red dot sight.
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have a chance to buy a NIB Savage Model 24 .223/12GA
for 500, dont know if thats a good price or not.

I will buy it.

BMT
My pheasant hunting buddy has been on the lookout for a 12 gauge/.223 combination gun for years. He finally ran across a Remington (made in Russia) and bought it. In South Dakota he has always used a .223 for deer, and wanted a gun to be handy for pheasant and deer both when the seasons overlap. We'll see how it works this fall!
A few years ago CZ imported an O/U 12/7x57R. I got one from a friend and it shoots very well. It also has a 22lr barrel to go in the shotgun barrel. It was made to be adjusted to point of aim. So far I'm pleased with it. It was reasonable as I remember less than $700 and new at the time. Came with a Burris scope too.
I've not tried the Remington IZH imports but I've had several of the Baikal brand in various chamberings. In My experience they tend to get little things wrong that no one seems to be able to fix. Triggers get funny for example.
I'd love have one in 12 ga/.223 with the barrel chopped to 18". It'd make a nice snowmachine/trapline gun.
My first gun was a Savage M24 DL, chambered for 22LR/20 ga shotgun. I was 16, and got it for Christmas. I still have the
gun and it is a regular with me whenever I'm hunting. I loved,
and still love this firearm! I'm 62 yo these days, and the only
thing I'd change is I'd prefer to have the top barrel a 30-30 or
7-30, and the bottom barrel still a 20-ga shotgun. That would be
the ultimate combo gun when hiking/exploring/scouting, or just plain hunting.

I remember on one hunting adventure, during the early hours of the morning walking up on a jackrabbit, firing several 22lr cartriges the rabbit never moved. Out of frustration, I walked up on the rabbit only to find it's intestines laying in front of it (it was already dead but didn't know it). Another time I ran into a covey of quail, I banged away with the 20-ga. When my brother who was with me finally caught up, suggested it was another hunter. He got an education as I picked up my quail.

I've never understood why Savage never understood the concept
of a combination gun. They didn't really have to offer a 12 ga
shotgun, nor the 357 Mag for the rifle barrel. Nor many of the
other variants they offered. This was a hunting firearm! Capable
of collecting anything from rabbits, squirrels, quail, pheasants,
chukar, foxes, coyotes, deer, and on a good day, black bears.
This was/is a gun that puts food on the table. Too bad Savage
didn't seem to understand that.
No one can build a nice combination gun for $500 retail.
That is why the Savage 24 is such a rough gun now.
They need to offer a nice version, with
* deep bluing
* case-colored receiver

* quality, adjustable iron sights

* Integral Warne (Weaver) type bases machined into the top barrel. Make them flat top like the Warne or Leupold, not the Weaver style with ears.

* Or, cut a deal with Ruger to use their integral base format.

* Nice walnut with good checkering
* Stock well-fitted to the metal
* Cut checkering
* Good recoil pad like R3, Simms, Pachmayr, Limbsaver

* Useful rimmed cartridges
.30-30
.22 Savage HP should be a no-brainer
.22 Hornet
.303 Brit
* 20 gauge with screw-in chokes

Retail it for $900.00 to $1,000.00, like the CZ double barrel shotguns.
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I'd love have one in 12 ga/.223 with the barrel chopped to 18". It'd make a nice snowmachine/trapline gun.

I had the same idea but am 18 inch in 22LR 12 gauge.

BMT
Why 22 HP? Hard to find factory ammo, S&B only.

Why 303 British? Hard to find factory ammo in the U.S.

Don't you think that Savage would still be making 24s if they thought that they could earn a profit by doing so?

I think that Savage's selection of cartridge combinations offered in the 24V fit the market niche pretty well:

22LR/20, 22MRF/20, 22H/20, 222/20, 223/20, 30-30/20, 357/20, and 357Max/20.

Perhaps if Savage redesigned the 24 into a shotgun over rifle combination gun, they could strengthen it enough to run 243, 308, and maybe 338 Federal and 358 barrels under a 20 gauge shotgun. However, I doubt that Savage, or any other U.S. manufacturer, is going to spend any $$ to design, build, and launch a combination gun in 2009.

Jeff
© 24hourcampfire