Home
Posted By: Patrick_James Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/04/09
I recently bought a box of Nosler partition .270 cal 160 gr. at a gunshow.This seems to be a little on the heavy side for the 270 winchester.I'm still looking for the right bullet to go elk hunting with and I don't really want to buy another gun with a larger calibur.Anybody have any experience hunting with a 270 and a 160 gr bullet? thank you
I've more than a bit of experience with the 160, tis one of my all time fav 270 bullets going.

Very accurate and incredibly capable when it comes to taking down game. And yet, it's incredibly under used.

Dober
Posted By: 340boy Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/04/09
I have thought of trying the 160 in my 270 as well.

Mark, what kind of velocities do you see with the 160 Partition?
Also, is it a semi-spitzer design?

Thanks!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/04/09
I know of one brown bear killed with it......and more than a few elk,by friends,not me.

I guess not many are recovered....kinda like a slightly smaller version of the 175-7mm.....

.........why do we have anything under 30 caliber except the 270 anyway? confused................. whistle
Posted By: vapodog Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/04/09
.I'm still looking for the right bullet to go elk hunting with and I don't really want to buy another gun with a larger calibur

It's rare indeed to find anyone dissing the partition bullets and the 260 grainer in the .270 is as big as they come.....that said:

Nosler's partition has a strong tendency to shed the lead in the front core......and this causes loss of penetration.

Many agrue that this is intentional.....to which I hoist the BS flag!...it's not!!!!!

For elk with the .270 the finest bullet one can shoot is the A-Frames or the Northforks.....these bullets have the front cores bonded....they run about a buck a piece and are worth it!

Barnes may also have a fine option but my experience is non existant with them

As to the Nosler partition.....if ya got-em use-em....they have a solid reputation....but if you don't....have a good look at the Swift A-Frame

2800 is the range they've run for me in 22-23" tubes with R22 and as Bob mentioned you're not gonna find them very often.

Plus the accuracy for me has always been incredibly good.

Yepper it is the semi design which I kind of have a thing for. I have a fairly large stash of old 175 Semi's for my Mashburn... grin

Dober
Thanks Mark!
smile

My SW had had a box or two of the 160s sitting on the shelf for months, I may go see if they are still there...
Same with our SW, they were about the only bullets that they had...grin

Dober
Originally Posted by vapodog
.I'm still looking for the right bullet to go elk hunting with and I don't really want to buy another gun with a larger calibur

It's rare indeed to find anyone dissing the partition bullets and the 260 grainer in the .270 is as big as they come.....that said:

Nosler's partition has a strong tendency to shed the lead in the front core......and this causes loss of penetration.

Many agrue that this is intentional.....to which I hoist the BS flag!...it's not!!!!!

For elk with the .270 the finest bullet one can shoot is the A-Frames or the Northforks.....these bullets have the front cores bonded....they run about a buck a piece and are worth it!

Barnes may also have a fine option but my experience is non existant with them

As to the Nosler partition.....if ya got-em use-em....they have a solid reputation....but if you don't....have a good look at the Swift A-Frame

vapo: I would ditto what you have to say on NorthForks and Aframes, because I've been using their grandaddy(the Bitterroot,which is quite as good as either one)since the 80's....along with the Partitions.There ain't much "new" under the sun......

But, I suspect there are probably a million-plus dead elk that would take issue with the Partition being a chump-change elk bullet grin

In fact, the 160 Partition may penetrate further than the Aframes or Northforks, simply because it has a lot of shank behind the Partition,and may set up to a smaller frontal area than a Northfork or Aframe,which will likely be found balled up under off-side hide. This matters little because by then, the real damage has already been done.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/04/09
Have you actually had a lack of penetration problem with a partition? The only failure I've had with a partition is a failure to recover the bullet. Mine have gone straight through.

Norm
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/04/09
The biggest "problem" with Nosler Partitions is the way many hunters judge bullets by how they look instead of how they work.

The North Fork is a fine a bullet and I've used them quite a bit, but Mike Brady told me himself that the little dab of lead in the front doesn't need to be bonded, since they will work the same way without the bonding. He only bonded the core because so many shooters insisted on it.

The one trouble that can occur with the A-Frame is due to the rea core NOT being bonded. This means it can shift forward on impact, expanding the rear of the bullet as well. This isn't usually bad thing, because the bullet then makes a bigger hole. But it does limit penetration, and in extreme cases the rear core can break through the partition, whereupon penetration is REALLY limited.

In various tests in different media, Nosler Partitions will just about always penetrate as deeply as either North Forks or A-Frames. hey work the same way on animals. This is because (as Bob noted) the frontal area is smaller, even if the Partitions don't retain as much weight. Frontal area has more effect on penetration than weight retention.

Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/04/09
My first moose was taken with a .270 loaded with 160 gr. Dominion KlingKor bullets. Due to brush and presentation I had to try for a Texas Heart Shot. Was about 2" to one side.

When butchered the bullet was found in the front shoulder. If you know the length of a moose you will know how much penetration it achieved.

These KlingKor bullets were standard cup and core design. Used at a mv of 2800 fps they always penetrated well and did a super job.

I'll be the first one to admit the shot described above probably resulted in the bullet travelling above the paunch and below the spine. Regardless, a shot going 3/4ths the length of a moose by any bullet is as good as you need.

Jim
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/04/09
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The biggest "problem" with Nosler Partitions is the way many hunters judge bullets by how they look instead of how they work.

I've found this to be true of most bullets.

*cough* Barnes *cough* grin
Posted By: Lorne Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/04/09
Jim

I still have a box of those in 300 Savage 180 grains, in the old Dominion box. Planning on taking them (and my dads old 99EG) to the Yukon for moose one of these fine years.
I love the 160 gr. Nosler partition in the .270 and its on par with a 180 30-06 IMO...

I also am a big fan of Nosler partition bullets, I have never found a "better", only a few as good perhaps..those would be Woodleighs, Northforks, GS Customs...

I am not a Swift fan. The reason being that they mushroom perfectly, but a little too much of a good thing IMO as they mushroom into a very smooth ball with no cutting edges or tearing surface as one finds on many of the better bullets and I have seen animals make a lot of tracks and leave no blood when shot with them..In all fairness I have heard good things about Swifts from other folks, but I don't know what amount of experience they had. I discussed this with Swift and they told me that is one reason they developed the Sirracco for what ever thats worth..
Posted By: BRoper Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/04/09
I think the 160 part. would be a really good bullet for elk, bet it would shoot through an elk endways. But the only .270 bullet I've used on elk is the 130 gr. and had no problem at all killing them. Just use a good bullet and put it in the right place.
BRoper,
Is that the 130gr Partition that you like on elk?
The only reason I ask is that my 270 loves the 130gr partition, but I have been a little hesitant to try it on elk...
Originally Posted by 340boy
BRoper,
Is that the 130gr Partition that you like on elk?
The only reason I ask is that my 270 loves the 130gr partition, but I have been a little hesitant to try it on elk...

340: Whack him in the chest; he'll die.... wink If he doesn't you didn't whack him in the chest grin
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/04/09
Tim is in the place that I was just in until recently: the "yet to kill an elk" place. 'tis a cold, dismal, depressing and dark place. Not a lonely one, though <g>.

When you are in that place, you aren't really looking for the lightest caliber and smallest bullet that will work.

Right Tim? :-)

That, and the dude has a serious case of magnumitis, and I say that as someone who likes Tim a lot, not as a jab.

I would bet good money that Mr. Tim has some sort of magnum in his hands when he kills his first elk.

Just sayin'... grin...
Posted By: super T Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/04/09
Patrick James. I've never actually taken an elk with 160NP in a .270, but in a way I have. What I mean is that I've killed a number of nice bulls with a.280AI and the 160gr Nos Part. In the real world there would be zero differance. So load up those 160gr Partition, go hunting, be happy.
Jeff: After awhile, you become ambivilent about calibers,and just worry about bullets...hit them right with anything good,and it's surprising how well many of theses cartridges work.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Tim is in the place that I was just in until recently: the "yet to kill an elk" place. 'tis a cold, dismal, depressing and dark place. Not a lonely one, though <g>.

When you are in that place, you aren't really looking for the lightest caliber and smallest bullet that will work.

Right Tim? :-)

That, and the dude has a serious case of magnumitis, and I say that as someone who likes Tim a lot, not as a jab.

I would bet good money that Mr. Tim has some sort of magnum in his hands when he kills his first elk.

Just sayin'... grin...

Jeff,
Laughing here!
You are 100% right, I probably will have a 325 in my hands.
It is just my little 270 likes that partition so well, and it did great for me on my Muley last season, I sometimes think about hauling that little 270 with me more often...

Bob, yes, I hope to hit one in the 'boiler room' or in the 'clockwork' as Ross S. used to say if I ever get a shot at an elk!(One of these days grin)
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/04/09
They are a big target, Tim. If this lug nut can hit 'em in the vitals, you can <g>....
I sure hope to find out soon.
I just need to draw a tag in a unit that doesn't have so many wolves!
(good luck)
frown
Posted By: Huntr Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/04/09
1OntarioJim,
Is that the same Dominion bullet company that Jack O'Connor referred to quite often?
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/05/09
I can report some range results with the 160gr Partition in my Kimber Montana .270Win and a Montana .270WSM.
With the "old version" I load 55gr. H4831SC with a Fed 210M and get a velocity of 2746fps. Just beautiful cloverleafs at 100 yards.
With the .270WSM, using 60gr H4831SC and a Fed 215M, I get 2827fps average and nice 3/4 moa groups.
While last years cow elk fell to the 150gr. Partition in the 270Win., there is very good chance the 160gr will be making the trip.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/05/09
I have generally found the 55 H4831 (either long or short) will shoot really wel with the 160 Partition. But any .270 Winchester that doesn't shoot any 130-160 grain bullet well with H4831 is kinda weird!
Posted By: 340boy Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/05/09
JB,
I kind of took 'the long way home' on that.
I tried RL22, RL19, and 4350 with 130 and 150 gr pills in my 270, and used them for several years, never got that great of velocity or accuracy.
I finally tried H4831SC a couple of years ago.
I will never go back to those others!
Guess I am kind of slow...
grin
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/05/09
I sure hope to find out soon.
I just need to draw a tag in a unit that doesn't have so many wolves!
(good luck)
frown

Come to Oregon! Got room for one more in our camp, always. Seriously.

No wolves to speak of, yet, but then again I can't say the elk hunting is particularly good, either, unless you have 4-5 points saved up.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/05/09
When I think back to my hunts, the old .270 Win. has been in a lot of nice photos. From whitetails, mule deer, pronghorn, black bear, cow elk, Mt. Goat & Dall sheep. Makes a fellow wonder what I am doing with all this other "stuff"?
H4831SC since 1976.
Posted By: BRoper Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/05/09
340boy,
no the 130's I used were core-lokts. I found them just under the hide on the off side, mushroomed picture perfect. I'm sure the partitions would have gone on through. Either way they were dead.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/05/09
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Jeff: After awhile, you become ambivilent about calibers,and just worry about bullets...hit them right with anything good,and it's surprising how well many of theses cartridges work.

That pretty much sez it all, IMO.....
Posted By: BRoper Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/05/09
Finn Aagard said in one of his articles that it just amazed him what a 130 gr. .270 would do. I feel the same way. I've owned and hunted with the same .270 since 1967 and have never had one problem killing anything I wanted with it. Mostly deer but quite a few other animals too. And it works real good on varmints loaded with 90 or 110 gr. bullets.
BRoper,
Interesting and good to know.
Thanks for the info!
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/05/09
Tim ask Yukoner if a 130gr Partition can cleanly take big game.Believe he could tell ya about lots of big game taken with that combo.
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/05/09
Huntr - yes. JO'C did refer to the Dominion cartridges quite frequently (for a Canadian product). Later they became Imperial and, I think, IMI for awhile before they disappeared.

In the early days we Canadians shot a lot of their components as they were cheaper than the imported stuff. In those days we didn't pay much attention to what might be a "premium" bullet, we just used what was available.

When I finally started looking for something "better" the Nosler partitions were chosen. To this day they are still my bullet of choice. Other products may equal their reliability but since I have enough partitions on hand to finish out my hunting career its not likely these other types of bullets will get used in my guns.

I'm one of those people who is faithful to the products that have worked in the past. When I hunted moose in later years the 150 Partition was my bullet of choice. This is what I used to take the majority of my moose.

Jim
Posted By: Huntr Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/05/09
Jim,
Thank you very much! It's great to know that was the bullets he referred to! Might you know what currently manufactured cup/core bullets would be closest to their design/results?

Thanks again!

Chip
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/05/09
Chip - Don't know this for a certainty but suspect that the Hornady Interlock design is very close. Hornadys are what I use the most of these days for practice, ever since Nosler quit making the Solid Base bullets.

In most of my guns I can make up loads with Hornadys then switch to Partitions without any need to change the scope settings.

If for some reason I all of a sudden didn't have Partitions available Hornadys are probably what would be used in their place.

Jim
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Tim ask Yukoner if a 130gr Partition can cleanly take big game.Believe he could tell ya about lots of big game taken with that combo.

Thanks, Mike.
I will do that.
smile
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/05/09
Blacktail: wink

Tim: Course, EVERYBODY knows a 270 Win,with 130 Partitions is just........magic shocked smile
Posted By: JTD0314 Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/05/09

I couldn't agree more. Although I haven't shot an elk with a .270, shot placement with most .270 hunting bullets will do the trick.
Posted By: gotlost Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/06/09
In the mid 80s I used 160 partitions in my Rem 760 270 win pump on both elk and mule deer, I don't remember recovering any bullets just dead animals.
I've been using 130 gr for the last few years.
Posted By: Yukoner Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/06/09
Originally Posted by 7 STW

Thanks, Mike.
I will do that.
smile

Not very good at all for big game.........kills 'em! laugh

Ted
Posted By: 340boy Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/06/09
Thanks Ted!

Just what I needed to hear, as my little M70 FWT loves that 130gr partition; pretty good velocity too.
grin
Always lots of discussion about 130 vs. 160 gr. bullets in the .270 and also 150 vs. 180 in the 30-06 and .308...

What this amounts to is that for broadside shots the lighter bullet will work fine, but the more angle and stress you put on that bullet then the more weight you need..

I personally go for the heavy bullets as I want the capability of taking what ever shot I get, because the wolves have eaten enough of our elk that you may only get one chance, if that, and I want to be well prepared..thus my choice of the .338 and 300 gr. Woodleighs and my reason for hunting in the dark timber swamps where the good bulls head at the first shot of the season...

If I hunted the Sage brush side hills, the 130, 150, and 160 gr. Noslers would suit me fine, but with a big preference for the 160 Noslers..
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/06/09
In Ray's circumstances, I understand 338's and 375's with heavy bullets.An elk is a lot bigger end to end than he is side to side.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/06/09
Agreed, Bob.
I was just curious about the 130 partition/270WCF as a 'in a pinch' elk gun.
I got bigger stuff I would like to use as dedicated elk guns.
grin
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/06/09
Tim: Sure. The load is enough for elk, for sure,but we all run into those unusual circumstances.
Posted By: orion03 Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/06/09
Seems to me that the 160 grain .270 might be getting a little heavy for caliber. Why not just use a 30-06 and a 180 and be happy?
Posted By: Huntr Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/06/09
Originally Posted by orion03
Seems to me that the 160 grain .270 might be getting a little heavy for caliber. Why not just use a 30-06 and a 180 and be happy?

Just wait a couple days, that thread will be started shortly! grin
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/07/09

Cause you might only have a 270.... smile

Seems to me that the 06 with a 180 seems a bit heavy, why not just get a 270 and shoot a 160 and be happy......

Dober
Posted By: 2525 Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/07/09
Originally Posted by vapodog
the 160 grainer in the .270 is as big as they come

On another site it was recently pointed out Woodleigh has released a 180 gn PP for the .270 Win. The SD is above .335, about that of the 220 gn .308s.

A quick search on the web indicates 10" is the standard twist, and a (modified) Greenhill type calculation suggests this will be marginal, but I imagine Woodleigh did their homework and it will stabilize.

Posted By: ingwe Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/07/09
Originally Posted by Huntr

Just wait a couple days, that thread will be started shortly! grin

I doubt that it will take that long... wink
Ingwe
Posted By: BRoper Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/07/09
I think Barnes made a 170 gr. at one time.
Posted By: lodgepole Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/07/09
I like long heavy bullets in my 270 for shooting elk. The 160 grian partition is a good one but I really mourn the passing of the Barnes 180 grain 270 round nose. Wish I had bought a few hundred while they were still in production. Those torpedoes are perfect for big stuff in thick cover.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/07/09
Barnes made 180's not too long ago..

My dad liked the 160's in his 270. i also hunted a 270 in my younger years, he'd try and get me to shoot them, but the 130's killed just as dead, i thought!
Hello,

It seems to be that a commercial cartridge is associated with certain bullet weight. As an example, the 130 grs for the .270 so a 160 grs bullet is considered "..heavy for the caliber" weight! But an almost identical cartridge, the 7x64 Brenneke, or another very simmilar, the 7x57, was originated and used, mainly, with 160 to 177 grs as the "normal" (�...?) bullet weight. So if someone ask for a 130 grs bullet in the 7x64, will be considered "..light for the caliber..".
Thats all from my point of view...
And, for the matter, If my primary use of the 270 would be for elk (or big Red Deer here), my bullet of choice would be the 160 grs Nosler Partition for sure. The same weight, plus the 175 grs, I use in the 7x57.
Regards

PH
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/07/09
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Seems to me that the 06 with a 180 seems a bit heavy, why not just get a 270 and shoot a 160 and be happy......

Dober

Precisely!

The best reason to use the 160NP in the 270 is because they don't make a 180!

People are enticed by the 270 because the typical light-for-caliber 130 grain bullets shoot faster than real big game hunting bullets giving the shooter an impression that there is something "special" about the caliber. The same can be said about the 257 Roberts because the only bullets available for it are light-for-caliber. But load the 270 with a good hunting bullet weight and that is when it really becomes special, along with the many other calibers in the same category, including 7-08, 7x57, and 280. I've shot a lot of game with all the above, including the 270. Any of them perform splendidly with a good jacketed bullet with an SD of around 0.28 or higher.

Yeah, I know - "broken record."

-
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/08/09
My wife Eileen has killed a bunch of big game animals with the .270--and I mean big game, not deer, such as elk, moose and bison. She has never used a bullet heavier than 150 grains, and the biggest animal she's killed (a cow bison that weighed 900-1000 pounds) was taken with a 130-grain Barnes TSX. It went the farthest of any BIG game she's shot with the .270, just about 40 yards. The bull moose she shot with the 150-grain Partition took about a step and a half before piling up. Would heavier bullets have killed them quicker?
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/08/09
I'd figure with all the big game she's processed she'd know exactly where she needs to place her bullet to get those kinds of results. KUDOS to her!
Yeah, she pretty much knows where to shoot them--and never shoots unless she's very sure that's where the bullet is going. Hard to beat that!
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/08/09
Well she must have been taught correctly. You can't trade ethics for bullet weight or speed. That's what we all should strive for.
A few years with a bow will also teach you that.
Maybe, maybe not. I know some "bowhunters" who take too many chances....

But anybody who SERIOUSLY bowhunts for a while will become a much better rifle hunter.
Posted By: cole_k Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/08/09
Maybe, maybe not. I know some "bowhunters" who take too many chances....

But anybody who SERIOUSLY bowhunts for a while will become a much better rifle hunter.

Ain't that the dang truth.
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/08/09
My wife Eileen has killed a bunch of big game animals with the .270--and I mean big game, not deer, such as elk, moose and bison. She has never used a bullet heavier than 150 grains, and the biggest animal she's killed (a cow bison that weighed 900-1000 pounds) was taken with a 130-grain Barnes TSX. It went the farthest of any BIG game she's shot with the .270, just about 40 yards. The bull moose she shot with the 150-grain Partition took about a step and a half before piling up. Would heavier bullets have killed them quicker?

Yes, of course they would have! wink

I don't wanna joust with you about this. You are happy with your choices, and I am happy for you. I'm just posting about my experiences and preferences. Personally I hunt with "standard" calibers and I aim to plant the animal on the ground right where it stands, not necessarily to "conserve meat" or "heart shot" or any other old addage. My preferred shot placement is broadside ON the shoulder midway up or a bit higher. IME light-for-caliber bullets will not handle this shot placement reliably, but slightly heavy-for-caliber bullets will. I typically define "slightly heavy-for-caliber" as SD >= 0.28. Standard grade .277" 130 grain bullets at around 3100 fps have failed to penetrate sufficiently for me for this shot placement, as have .257" 120 grain bullets at around 2800 and .284" 145 grain bullets at around 2700. OTOH, all the .284" bullets of 160 or 175 grains weight at 2400-2600 fps have worked perfectly. After the shot the animal travels about 2 feet - straight down - with their feet still in the tracks they were standing in. Other bullets that have provided this performance for me are .264" 140 grain and .308" 180 grain.

MD, I realize you have killed more and more varied game animals than I (and I'm a bit jealous). I'm not arguing with your success, or Eileen's. I'm just telling folks here at the fire what works for me.

By the way, I already have a cookbook by Eileen - from NAHC. It's a good one too.

-
We have used the same shot quite frequently when we want animals to be anchored--though we don't use it most of the time, because it does shoot up meat.

I would say the key to your statement is "standard grade" bullets. I agree that a sectional density of .280 is a good idea when taking the shoulder/spine shot with such bullets--but the bullet that started this thread is a Nosler Partition, which isn't a standard-grade bullet.

We have used "premium" bullets to shoulder/spine anchor deer, elk, caribou, and various African animals, and the bullets generally did not have SD's of .280 or higher, whether made by Barnes, Nosler, Norma, Remington, Speer, etc. etc.

Yes, heavier bullets are more reliable on that sort of shot, but so are lighter bullets, if they're built right. Your point is valid, but the thread wasn't about standard-grade bullets.

That NAHC version of the venison cookbook was something of a mystery to us for a while. The original "trade" edition had been out for a few years, when suddenly Eileen got a check from for a title she hadn't written. There was no explanation from the publisher, and she couldn't get one either (it's a British-owned firm that evidently believes the less the writers know the better). Finally she found a copy of the NAHC version at a used book store, and the mystery was solved. Glad you like it!

Good hunting,
John

Posted By: BRoper Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/08/09
I know a lot of you don't agree but, I like to shoot my bullets right at 3000 fps +/-. At that velocity standard bullets just don't seem to hold together. I have used 130 gr. Rem. core-lokt, Nos. part. and Speer GS with good results. I also always hold hold tight behind the shoulder. I have found that they almost always drop in their tracks. Every animal I've shot throught the shoulder has run a ways before dropping and some meat loss. For me the best shot for non dangerous game is behind the shoulder. That is just my opinion and experience. I know a lot on here disagree.
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 05/08/09
That NAHC version of the venison cookbook was something of a mystery to us for a while. The original "trade" edition had been out for a few years, when suddenly Eileen got a check from for a title she hadn't written. There was no explanation from the publisher, and she couldn't get one either (it's a British-owned firm that evidently believes the less the writers know the better). Finally she found a copy of the NAHC version at a used book store, and the mystery was solved. Glad you like it!

Do you mean they printed Eileen's material without permission and without an agreement as to payment, and then sent you a check of their own chosen amount? Well, that's...different. Actually, the book I have is entitled "Wild Game Cookbook" and contains more than just venison recipes. There is a recipe in there that actually makes wild, fresh-water salmonids almost edible.

-
Ah, that's actually her first cookbook, co-written with Sil Strung.

Such publications are considered "book club" sales, and are permitted under the contract. The reason we were puzzled is that nobody at the publishing company told us what was happening. When Eileen first started writing for them they were locally owned (in Minnesota) and communicasted very well. She eventually wrote 5 cookbooks for them. But toward the end the British firm bought the company, and they became very uncooperative.

They even refused to sell Eileen cookbooks to sell ourselves. That's pretty much standard practice for all publishing companies. They'll sell books to the author at the dealer discount, around 50% of list price. But once the Brits took over that was all over--another reason among several that we started publishing our own books.
Posted By: ChetAF Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 07/28/11
Thought I would revive this thread rather than starting from scratch......

How does the performance/penetration of the 160 Partition compare with some of the lighter monometals such as the 130 grain TTSX? I am interested in trying the 160, but my rifle shoots the TTSX's extremely well and I have yet to recover one.

Thanks,
Chet
Posted By: Patrick_James Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 07/28/11

Chetaf, the answer.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 07/29/11
Originally Posted by Chetaf
Thought I would revive this thread rather than starting from scratch......

How does the performance/penetration of the 160 Partition compare with some of the lighter monometals such as the 130 grain TTSX? I am interested in trying the 160, but my rifle shoots the TTSX's extremely well and I have yet to recover one.

Thanks,
Chet

I have never seen a factory load using the 160gr Parition in the 270. So you must hand load. You may want to try a few, maybe your rifle won't like them and its back to the TTSX!
Posted By: logcutter Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 07/29/11
Conley Precision sells ammunition loaded with the 270 Win/160 Nosler at 2850 fps.

http://www.cpcartridge.com/270winP.htm

Jayco
2850 is a rocking, can't imagine that round staying in most anything..grin

I do like that bullet, good friend had a 5 pt bull standing facing away in the timber. He dropped the hammer and the bullet went in by the tail and exited it's chest. Mr bull bounced fairly well.

I used to run it at 2800 with R22, wasn't much I didn't feel I could do with the round. Still feel pretty much that way.

Have a super day all, I'm taking my oldest G-son for a day in the Beartrap (Madison) ripping lips and grills some pollo.

Dober

Posted By: gmsemel Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 07/29/11
Well this thread was interesting to say the least. Back in 74 I went Moose hunting for the third time to Newfoundland. I took two guns, I learned my lesson on that. One of my rifles didn't get to came. But the 270 did and well My load were 4831 and some 160 gr Nosler Partitions. After a week of hard hunting I had gotten a shot. Killed the moose just fine, I still have a box and a half of those hand loads and a half of box of those 160's they were made on a screw machine. Not as accurate by today's standards. But never the less they were plenty accurate out of that Weatherby Vangard I had. I didn't get my other rifle back, it just showed up the afternoon I was leaving. I never found 130 gr bullets lacking in a 270, they shot well, my guess a little less recoil, and inch or two flatter. Just that the 130gr weight goes with the 270 like ham and eggs.
Posted By: logcutter Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 07/29/11
Just that the 130gr weight goes with the 270 like ham and eggs.

Exactly!!!

An old packer years ago told me to use a good 130 grain bullet for everything from horseflies to elephants..And he was right..I have never found the 130 Nosler to lack on any game I have shot at any angle.It always get's 'er done even stem to stern when things go south at ignition.

Jayco
Posted By: anie Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 07/29/11
doubletap ammo sells 160 and 150 paritions ammo on line!!
Posted By: 65BR Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/04/11
Originally Posted by logcutter

Exactly!!!

An old packer years ago told me to use a good 130 grain bullet for everything from horseflies to elephants..And he was right..I have never found the 130 Nosler to lack on any game I have shot at any angle.It always get's 'er done even stem to stern when things go south at ignition.

Jayco

Makes one wonder what a 260 with 125 Partition or 130 AB/TSX might can do smile
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/04/11
Originally Posted by logcutter

Exactly!!!

Jayco

I have blown 130gr Nosler partitions to shreads on broadside chest shots on whitetail deer with a 270 Winchester. I found nothing larger than little flecks of lead and jacket metal.
Posted By: Yukoner Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/04/11
I have as well, and with complete penetration, even on our big mountain caribou bulls, which are the size of mature elk! That's exactly what they are designed to do. smile

Actually, I have seen a few 130s go through moose, too.

Ted
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/06/11
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

I have blown 130gr Nosler partitions to shreads on broadside chest shots on whitetail deer with a 270 Winchester. I found nothing larger than little flecks of lead and jacket metal.

BR: Well, that is something I have NOT seen......ever. Not that I doubt you but just have never run into it regardless of distance...with any Partition.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/06/11
I had the same thing happen with a Barnes.....
Posted By: 700xcr Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/06/11
[quote=Big_Redhead

[/quote] No exit on the animal either?
I was wondering the same thing, also noticed the plural part

Dober
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/06/11
Someone can run the numbers on 130's, 40's, 50's and 160's. I don't think you will find any significant difference in paper ft. lbs. of energy. A reasonable approach might be to pick one or two versions that your rifle likes and leave it at that.
Fire extinguisher handy.

Posted By: SU35 Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/06/11

And that's BS!
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/06/11

BR: Well, that is something I have NOT seen......ever. Not that I doubt you but just have never run into it regardless of distance...with any Partition.

I'm skeptical and I don't mind saying so.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/06/11
The 130 Partitions below were fired from a 270 Win into a close-range bull elk. Both were recovered on the opposite side (shoulder) under the hide. The Partition on the left is the only Partition I've ever recovered that was what I might consider less than stellar even though it was right next to the one that performed as advertised. The one on the left appeared to have tumbled and opened from both ends and just the jacket was left, but it didn't lack in penetration and darn sure was bigger than just flecks of jacket material.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tejano Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/06/11
Cool Nosler photo. The marketing types would call that dual expansion. I have suspected the core loss (judging by the wound channel) but never recovered one, the jacket just kept going. If anything the Nosler's were even more destructive when they tumbled.
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/06/11
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

It was two shots at the same buck. The range was less than 75 yards, and my loads were quite warm back in those days (mid-'80s). Both landed in the ribcage close behind the shoulder about two inches apart as evidenced by the entrance wounds. There were no exit holes. At the first shot the buck started to run, but stopped after 10-20 yards because he saw me racking the second round in the chamber and may have heard the "clack-clack" of the bolt on my M70 XTR featherweight. At the second shot he took off and ran toward the road about 150 yards, collapsing in the ditch (handy). Yes, the deer died, and I did not say the words "bullet failure" in my post. The insides of the deer were mush, but I didn't find any bullets, only fragments. Maybe they were there and I just didn't find them, but they didn't exit.

I can't and wouldn't say this would happen with "any" partition, but on that day, with those 130/270 partitions in that load, that is exactly what happened. I don't remember the exact load under those partitions that day, but I do remember that in those days I loaded 61.5gr of W785 or 60gr IMR4831 under other 130 grain bullets with CCI magnum primers. Both loads were above book max and I do not recommend anyone use them.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/06/11
Lonny,
Definitely something unusual happened to that bullet on the left. Somehow the base contacted something with enough force to squirt the base lead out the base - hence the little petals. The front half looks like it would have been normal except something pushed the bullet off center. My thought is that the bullet came in contact with some woody vegetation before entering the animal. Others may differ.
Posted By: Con Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/06/11
Big Redhead,
Your experience isn't exactly unique, it usually takes a large magnum to do it and high impact velocities. I'm surprised the 270Win achieved it. Solution is usually to up the projectile weight and hence reduce the speed. The base is usually in the animal, somewhere, but fails to keep tracking in a straight line.
Cheers...
Con
Posted By: bea175 Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/06/11
The 270 Win and the Nosler 130 gr Partition will killed any Elk you shoot as long as you shoot him where he lives
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/07/11
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

It was two shots at the same buck. The range was less than 75 yards, and my loads were quite warm back in those days (mid-'80s). Both landed in the ribcage close behind the shoulder about two inches apart as evidenced by the entrance wounds. There were no exit holes. At the first shot the buck started to run, but stopped after 10-20 yards because he saw me racking the second round in the chamber and may have heard the "clack-clack" of the bolt on my M70 XTR featherweight. At the second shot he took off and ran toward the road about 150 yards, collapsing in the ditch (handy). Yes, the deer died, and I did not say the words "bullet failure" in my post. The insides of the deer were mush, but I didn't find any bullets, only fragments. Maybe they were there and I just didn't find them, but they didn't exit.

I can't and wouldn't say this would happen with "any" partition, but on that day, with those 130/270 partitions in that load, that is exactly what happened. I don't remember the exact load under those partitions that day, but I do remember that in those days I loaded 61.5gr of W785 or 60gr IMR4831 under other 130 grain bullets with CCI magnum primers. Both loads were above book max and I do not recommend anyone use them.

BR: Well sounds to me like they were both in the animal nd you just did not bump into them in the butchering process.....I HAVE seen that,which is why I have some recovered 130 270's here.On shots through the chest, into offside bone and heavier muscles of shoulder meat, they will sometimes be stopped....especially at "woods" ranges,where impact velocity is high.

OTOH, last year I kiled a buck on the run at about 70 yards....snapped the spine behind the shoulder and he was killed instantly.....the 130 partition exited....I could ditto that on more animals than those that did not exiit, which is why I only have a few recovered bullets.

Lony, that looks like a tumble for sure.....same thing happened to me with a 160 7mm.

Scott how the hell did you blow up and X? grin
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/07/11
Lots of little shreds of lead though...
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/07/11
Maybe 15 years ago I shot a mule deer buck in the chest as he faced me in lodgepole timber. The range was 30 yards, the bullet a 140-grain Nosler Partition from a 7x57, started at 2900 fps.

The buck dropped right there, as they often do when the bullet hits the little dimple at the base of the neck. The bullet didn't exit so I looked for it a little while doing the field-dressing. I didn't find it, but did trace it's path through the diaphragm and paunch, so assumed it was left on the mountain in the gut-pile.

About a year later I was eating one of the buck's round steaks and bit into something hard. This turned out to be a perfectly expanded 7mm Nosler Partition that somehow had slipped between two knife-slices when we butchered the buck. (Well, some people would claim the bullet wasn't perfect, since it "failed" when the front core blew off, but I have ALMOST given up explaining that no, that's the way they're designed to act.)

About 3-4 years ago I killed a 6-point bull elk with a 180-grain Tipped Trophy Bonded from a .30-06 factory load. The bull was angling away at 250 yards and I put the bullet in the middle of the ribs on the right side, so the bullet would angle toward the left shoulder. The bull stood there stunned for a little bit, then some other elk that had been in the timber went running by and he tried to go with with them. "Tried" is definitely the word, since he only got 20 feet, then stopped again, this time broadside, and I shot him again behind the shoulders and he dropped.

The second bullet exited, but the first didn't. As with the deer, my wife and I butchered the bull ourselves, but never could find the bullet, despite looking hard. I doubt that it blew up, since the rear 2/3 of a Trophy Bonded is solid gilding metal.

So, one bullet I couldn't find was discovered a year later, and another was never found, despite the fact that I'm sure it didn't disintegrate. Not finding a bullet doesn't prove it wasn't there, and even finding fragments from a Nosler Partition doesn't prove it disinegrated, since the front third is designed to disinegrate. But without finding anything, we never actually know what happened.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/07/11
Maybe 15 years ago I shot a mule deer buck in the chest as he faced me ... I didn't find it, but did trace it's path through the diaphragm and paunch, so assumed it was left on the mountain in the gut-pile.

About a year later I was eating one of the bucks round-steaks and bit into something hard. This turned out to be a perfectly expanded 7mm Nosler Partition that somehow had slipped between two knife-slices when we butchered the buck. (Well, some people would think the bullet "failed" because the front core blew off, but I have ALMOST given up explaining that no, that's the way they were designed to act.)

John, I would respectfully submit that if you had shot that deer broadside, that Nosler would have "penciled on through" and therefore failed..... wink
Of course! I've seen it many times....
Damn Noslers anyway.....they always do that..... laugh
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/07/11
Hey Mule Deer and Ingwe. In another post, someone put up a link to Midway selling 180gr. bullets for the .270WCF. Have either one of you had any experience with such a long bullet in a 1-10 twist barrel?
bw: until right now...I've never even heard of a 180 gr in .270...
Posted By: podunk Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/07/11
With the exception of the 30 cal.180 outta the. 270 case me neither....
True dat..the only proper use for a .270 case would be a .30 cal.... grin
Posted By: Gone_Huntin Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/07/11
Originally Posted by ingwe
bw: until right now...I've never even heard of a 180 gr in .270...

I am pretty sure Barnes offered them at one time, many moons before the X. It seems to me Speer offered up a 170 grain about the same many moons ago.
I thought maybe barnes did...in their "original".... They made some crazy heavy bullets in some calibers.....
Unless you wanna be a stunt shooter... grin
Posted By: logcutter Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/07/11
Barnes did and Woodleigh does offer the 180 grain Protected point for the 270 Win!.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=871829

Jayco
Barnes used to make their "Original" lead-core, copper-jacketed bullet in a .270 180 round-nose, and Woodleigh makes a 180-grain Protected Point softnose, also a pretty blunt-nosed bullet.

Both will stabilize in a 1-10 twist. In fact both were designed to stabilize in a 1-10 twist, because otherwise a heavy .270 bullet wouldn't sell. They probably wouldn't stay stabilized out beyond 500 yards, but I don't think anybody would plan on shooting them beyond 250 yards.
Cool.... cool

I know barnes used to make a 195 in a 7mm too..

thought about that one for the 7x57..... grin
Honestly, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a. 270? At that rate it'd be akin to loading a 150 in a 25-06 right?
Figuratively speaking that is...
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Honestly, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a. 270? At that rate it'd be akin to loading a 150 in a 25-06 right?

I would kinda think so....
A 30/06 defeats the purpose of the 270
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Exactamundo....
I know you ballistic gack disciples have it out for the. 270 and its lower BC bullets, but out to 500 its awful hard to beat....
About as hard as 2nd grade math...
wait...I'm looking for the smiley face icon with its tongue sticking out....
Its a losing battle to debate with the obstinate..... grin Blow me Scott...
About as hard as 2nd grade math...

Scott...that was mean...

podunk had a hard time for those four years he was in second grade.... grin

Heehee.... grin
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/07/11
270 just keeps working, poor thing don't realize the 280 is better laugh
Grade school was the cornfusingest 10 years of my life.... I did learn spanish from my classmates though.. grin
And the poor .280 never realized it had " a reason for being" because the 7x57 was already here.... grin
Originally Posted by MagMarc
270 just keeps working, poor thing don't realize the 280 is better laugh

Of course, all one needs to do is add all the integers in each one individually to determine which has the highest number.

Intended for those that suck at math.
And the poor .280 never realized it had " a reason for being" because the 7x57 was already here.... grin

We're finally getting somewhere grin
The. 280s only reason for being is to Ackleytize......
Sphericals.....number crunchers..... whistle

All those who have had 270 bullets bounce off game at 501 yards, raise their hands.....as long as we're talking second grade stuff here. smile

Now you're bringing multiplication into the conversation. Podunk is [bleep]...

Intended for those that suck at math.

I suck at math...whats an integer...? grin
I was wondering why ingwe doesn't just call it a 399... bastids tryin to trick me... grin

Now you're bringing multiplication into the conversation. Podunk is [bleep]...

Time to bring in the 6.5x55 and really screw him with decimals laugh
Adding Integers:

25/06 = 13

270 = 9

280 = 10

30/06 = 9

35 Whelen = 8

So there we have it, highest number best for long range, lowest worse.

25/06 - 13
280 - 10
270 & 30/06 - 9
35 Whelen - 8

Seems about right and it proves once again that math does indeed work.
Or just drop back to the .30-06...

He'll be ready for a rubber room by the time he figures that one out.... grin
Adding Integers:

25/06 = 13

270 = 9

280 = 10

30/06 = 9

35 Whelen = 8

25/06 - 13
280 - 10
270 & 30/06 - 9
35 Whelen - 8

Does seem about right...now that you explain it...I 'get" it..

7x57-64............ grin
What's a hyphen mean ...... oh hail.....
You use a hyphen in a descriptive term of your ethnicity..as in " Cracker-American"..... grin
Does that count as an ethnicity?..... I got in trouble in high school for checking the box on the SAT to apply me for the National Negro College Fund.... then explaining that they didn't have a fund for Crackers....
Funny thread....
Oh, hell....I check a different box for "race" every time I buy a gun.....
We are pretty much all mongrels and if you wanna tear down my DNA I'm sure whatever you are looking for is in there....

OK...maybe not " Cracker"...... grin
In my case Cracker just means Floridianized Irish Hillbillies with a propensity for blue collar work and alcohol.... grin
In my case Cracker just means Floridianized Irish Hillbillies with a propensity for blue collar work and alcohol.... grin

Cracker, Floridianized, Irish ,Hillbillies all are terms that come with an understanding that a propensity for alcohol is innate...
Agreed, maybe the blue collar part stems from the propensity for booze?
I never had a chance....
Theres a correlation.....

Speaking of which..I gotta go to work...and NOT in a white-collar capacity.. grin
Damn.... off to sell Boner Collector T/Cs to the masses huh?
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/07/11
Adding Integers:

25/06 = 13

270 = 9

280 = 10

30/06 = 9

35 Whelen = 8

25/06 - 13
280 - 10
270 & 30/06 - 9
35 Whelen - 8

Does seem about right...now that you explain it...I 'get" it..

7x57-64............ grin

No, 7x57=399 [Linked Image]
Damn.... off to sell Boner Collector T/Cs to the masses huh?

Shhhhhhhhhh, he likes that part laugh
Likes em so much he brought one home....... jeez...
Posted By: bea175 Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/07/11
If you want a 180 gr bullet then use the 30-06 because the 270 is at it best from the 130 to the 150 gr.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Nosler .270 160 gr. - 08/07/11
Back to strange bullet recoveries. Had venison steak at a restaurant in Merida. Next day was taking care of the necessario business and there was a strange metallic plunk of metal hitting porcelain. Thought I might of lost something important so investigated and there was an almost intact .22 rim fire slug in the hopper. I just hope it penciled through.
© 24hourcampfire