Home
http://www.ruger.com/LCR/index.html

Looks like a great product, has anyone seen one?
Ruger makes a good product, Butt ugly.
I've handeld one and Its way to early yet.. Ruger will have a recall on them!! Ill wait..
Yes, I've handled one and that thing had way too much plastic for me, especially for a revolver. Not impressed in the least. I almost forgot the thing also had a rattle in it when you turned the gun different ways it sounded like something was loose inside..................547.
It looks nice but I'll stick with my 44 year old Detective Special a while longer. It's never let me down yet.
Dollars are votes, and last week I voted by ordering a new S&W 642 without that stupid internal lock. My Detective Specials and Cobras will now get a rest. grin
I would suppose it might be of interest to those that can carry all day. My J-frame is my secondary "go-to" handgun at home, so feel no need to change.
say what????? its ugly has a ton of plastic, and really isn't that light weight, a better choice is a taurus ti, or S&W scandium, with the smith scandium you have the choice of running full house 357 mags. the design also looks more complicated than S&W uses. I say it a dud
I am a steel and aluminum fan. I've never owned a plastic frame handgun (but I do have a couple of rifles with synthetic stocks). If it is plastic, keep it out of handguns (just my opinion).
Time will tell. To these eyes, it's homely as a mud fence. I've not yet laid hands on one, but it'll have to impress the heck out of me to make me want to set aside my S&W airweights.

However, changing gears, I do still think their LCP is rather neat and I might could like one.
I experienced the proper level of disgust at the announcment of a plastic revolver. Also, it clashes with the preconceived notion of what a handgun should look like among those of us early fixated on the Smith handejectors. Several things about it made me take a closer look: the light trigger pull combined with adequate hammer fall; the weight of an airweight but rated for +P; the available laser grip for indoor /after sundown use and particularly, the highly visible sights.
I was concerned about problems ruger has had with boring the chambers to different sizes and also concerned about two piece barrels as many manufacturers don't seem able to keep them together as a unit.
Prior to purchase, I checked the overall action and the chamber sizes.
What I have found is that the LCR is very easy to shoot accurately, The sights align well at 50 feet and 25 yards and tight center mass hits come instinctively. Felt recoil is very moderate. The grips do not shift under recoil. From the groups I've shot at fifty feet, it is apparent that the LCR is adequately accurate-at least as much so as the traditional snubs and the ruger sp101.
Non gun enthusiasts/hobbiest- seemingly the most rapid growing group among gun buyers and ccw licensees,like its compactness, light trigger and weight and do not seem concerned about the appearance.
http://usera.imagecave.com/mec/25yards.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/mec/50laser.jpg
first ever five shots from the revolver. Laser sight two hand standing.
While they are new on the market, problems generally show up immediately upon distribution. The LCR examples currently in circulation do not seem to portend a recall- at least at this time.
I have had my hands on two of them, one was an early production model, ordered by a law enforcement officer after taking the Ruger armorers course. It was completely out of time, with every other trigger pull the cylinder had to be turned by hand to get it to lock.

The thing seemed slightly larger than a J-frame, and I didn't weigh it but to me seemed no lighter than a Taurus UL or Smith airweight. I guess I am a bit jaded, but it seems to me that if you put more ads in the magazines your gun is automatically better. I just don't get it.

Nick
No. Ruger has not passed the S&W J frames with the LCR. MAYBE, just Maybe, they have surpassed the Charco revolvers, but a good solid zinc framed Arminius would give them a run for their money.

Ruger will have to keep the LCR in production for the next 40 years and make a Gojillion of the ugly plastic buggers to surpass the J frames.
It is doubtfull Ruger will surpass S&W with anything at any time. Plastic autos are bad enuff. Now we get plastic revolvers. Hopefully, this isn't the end of quality revolvers as everyone rushes to 'catch up' by degrading their firearms with plastic parts. Ruger would have been better served to just try and produce a quality revolver by doing something crazy like properly boring the cyclinders.
Seriously....

Surpassed the J frame???

Seriously???

I really don't know how to begin to address this...
Originally Posted by SAKO75
Has the RUGER LCR surpassed the S&W j-frames?

Are you on drugs?

Should you be?
I am still happy with my S&W J frame revolvers, and don't really have a need for a new one.
The Ruger probably will be ok in the long run, but I have never been fond of buying brand new designs.
I have a S&W Chief's Special Airweight in 38+P and I love it. The Ruger does have a nice smooth double action trigger pull. That's it's only advantage. I find it extremely hard to look at.
Originally Posted by prdator
I've handeld one and Its way to early yet.. Ruger will have a recall on them!! Ill wait..

You mean like the ones they had on:

Blawkhawk
P85
SR9
LCP

???????

My operating s.o.p. for years has been: If you want an auto-buy a Colt. If you want a revolver-buy a S&W. If you want a very accurate rifle buy a Remington. If you want a reliable rifle buy a mauser style rifle. It has never failed.

Frankly, I've never understood how Ruger has stayed in business.

O
Just what the world needs another butt ogly plastic pistol.
IMO, the new Ruger revolver is more of a gimmick than anything else. I can't for the life of me figure out what advantage(s) it possesses over tried-and-true revolvers. Maybe I'm just a knothead.
I doubt any one expects it to replace the J frames. I suspect that ruger is hoping it will find a nitch. Its a 13oz snubie for a Smith to make that weight its aluminum/scandium and will likely have a sell price of twice what the ruger does. Is that enough of a niche to make it a success? Time will tell.
© 24hourcampfire