Home
Posted By: orion03 Ruger Hawkeye in 6.5 Creedmoor - 07/24/09
I see new this year the 6.5 Creedmoor in the Hawkeye. This would make a fair deer round, would it not? Might even have some collector interest down the road because I bet it won't stay in the line up for long. It comes with a 24" barrel so I would think a man could get some pretty respectable velocity with it. Anybody have any experience with this cartridge?
My only experience is watching the stupid-small groups my buddy shoots with his at 600 yards....ridiculous!

He has a custom Rem 700,McMillan tactical stock of some kind.If I were hell bent on taking the middle out of a silver dollar at 600,it would be one cartridge I would reach for....
Ballistics about indistinguishable from the .260 Rem. Nothing wrong with it if you handload...
I would think more people would be interested in this round if it's about like a 260 or 6.5x55. I suppose it just doesn't have the history or romance to it.
Only in a F-class custom rig my buddy let's me shoot.

I'm thinking of picking up the V/T version just to dink with the rest of the summer and then maybe take pokes at rockchucks way out there next spring...

Gonna get an order price tomorrow.
Similar ballistics to the .260 and 6.5x47 Lapua. Factory loaded 120gr and 140gr A-maxes with the load data on the box.
http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=763
And here's an article comparing the three rounds:
http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/
The factory ammo is great for paper or game thru deer. Long distance shooters have used 260s/AIs to 600+ yds on deer with 140 amax....they'll expand at a good distance.

Zak Smith at demigod has done extensive testing, shoots alot of LaRue type comps.....knows his stuff and happy to share info.
Am also thinking of getting the Ruger Varmint version for PD shooting. Should be just the ticket for long range dogs on windy days. Wonder how the recoil is in a heavier rifle? I shoot a 243 quite a lot at PD's with no problem, but I use 70gr. bullets.
Ballistics about indistinguishable from the .260 Rem.

Yes, with a 28" long barrel.

What I can do with a 22" barrel 260 it takes a 28" Creed to
match it.

Pressure for pressure the 260 kicks it's butt.
You can also load long VLD's in the 260 no problem.

I think this whole Creed thing is nothing but a monkey see monkey do.

Tell us how you really feel.
Originally Posted by SU35
Ballistics about indistinguishable from the .260 Rem.

Yes, with a 28" long barrel.

What I can do with a 22" barrel 260 it takes a 28" Creed to
match it.

Pressure for pressure the 260 kicks it's butt.
You can also load long VLD's in the 260 no problem.

I think this whole Creed thing is nothing but a monkey see monkey do.

+1, give me my 260, or even a 6.5x55.

Creed velocitys look real great until you see they did em' in a shotgun length barrel.

Bill
Posted By: djs Re: Ruger Hawkeye in 6.5 Creedmoor - 07/25/09
The 6.5 Creedmore was designed for accuracy (which it is in spades) and matches the 260 Rem. in performace (with a long barrel). For hunting use, I'll stick with the 260 Rem.
Seems like there is a lot of 260 fans out there, me included. But the ones that like it must have already bought their rifles because it seems to be going the way of the dodo bird.
I got quoted $765 today for the M77 V/T version of the Creedmoore.

'cept nobody had one in the warehouse....
I was wondering about that.
FWIW, I had a guy who worked alot with the 6.5x47L early on who did alot of the initial work on the round, tell me for hunting, yes, a 260 with good loads/brass, capable of 1/2 moa or better is the way to go, brass cheaper and dies, custom bbl not needed, etc. and tad more speed. Zak Smith who also worked alot with the 47 left it to go to the Creedmoore. I think it gave him that tad extra punch at 800-1000 yds for his comp shoots. BUT, the 260 with good brass and loads will shoot right next to them, so for all but the most extreme accuracy requirements, the 260 will do just fine.

GOOD brass is key in the 260, my Sako put the first 2 shots into ONE hole at 200 yds, in 2 consecutive 3 shot groups, one using Federal 7/08 brass, the other 308 Federal brass, a third group also tested did not do that, Rem brass-but it did shoot around 1.25" for the group at 200 yds. This was using a sporter factory bbl, and a Leupold on 20x.

That said, I do like the 6.5x47 alot, efficient in shorter bbls esp. for hunting deer and smaller game. Also, the Creedmoor, it may not best a 260 in speed, nor much in accuracy, but affordable quality loaded ammo is to be had and that is nice, and having a heavy bbl 6.5 since there are no more 700 VLS, etc. mfg. is nice to have......asked Howa at the SHOT show to make a 260 in Heavy bbl but they said, NO-will not, their own 6.5x55s they told me could never do better than 2" at 100 yds...that last statement dumbfounded me as Howa makes good rifles, and the Swede is a great round......perhaps they had poor ammo and/or shooters.

I'd say anyone who likes a mid sized 6.5mm don't knock the Creed. It was designed for a purpose and it's niche is why it was put in the V/T. No doubt if the 260 Rem was there it would be a good one, but Ruger and Hornady are in bed together nowadays it seems, and Ruger i.e. resisted chambering 7/08s in many models for years, likely to not put more ammo dollars in their competition's hands.

Innovation is not bad.....it'd be boring if we had one rifle cartridge, one handgun round, and one shotgun......anyone disagree?

The Creed I feel will find a very small following among competition shooters but I don't think it will replace the 260, nor will the 47 Lapua, though they really are all very close in performance, and accuracy, all else equal, and will do a great job from paper, varmints, deer, and more in the right hands.
Innovation is not bad..

I'm all for it and have looked for every reason to join
the Creed Club. Still looking and still have not found a reason.

Norma now makes 260 brass and I've necked up 243 Lapua.

My next rifle will be chambered in 6.5x308 Imp.

SU, can't pick a bad 6.5 of those 3, nor the Swede. BTW, as to Hornady's 30TC, etc. those I see no logic in...yet to see any benefit over the 308. The Creed has a nice shoulder, etc. but there is not a significant different I agree in why pick one over another. Brass is the main reason it seems....vs. Rem 260.

If I were wanting a heavy bbl 6.5, a Ruger might fill the bill, not saying I'd pick the Creed over the 260 if both were available, as that is not the case.

On the other hand, about 10ft. away is a Never fired Sako Heavy bbl fluted SS/lam stock 260 with a set trigger.....I guess I have not found a reason for the Ruger, but if I did not have the Sako, it would be half the price......

On the 65/08 I had one built by Pac-Nor prior to the 260, and realized it was everything I was hoping for in terms of performance w/o the blast/bite of larger rounds. I was happy, but mine was not AI'd.

I asked about Lapua mfg. 260 brass at this years SHOT SHOW.....that is the BIG missing link for hassle free top notch brass. Heard not so great things on the Nosler, and rumor in the past was Norma made it, but that was never verified. Norma usually is good stuff, some claim not the lifespan of Lapua but consistent. I think Lapua is afraid to cut into their 6.5x47L sales, but there surely are many more 260 rifles to sell ammo for than the 47. Those Finns must be hard to work with.....having interest in a product that they refuse to support......seems like poor business logic to me, but oh well.

I hear WW 708 brass necked down does real well also, I may try it sometime. Enjoy your 6.5's wink
Originally Posted by Puddle
I got quoted $765 today for the M77 V/T version of the Creedmoore.

'cept nobody had one in the warehouse....

The local Wholesale Sports (remake of the discontinued Sportsmans Warehouse) quoted me $665 today....as soon as they show up, of course...
Posted By: efw Re: Ruger Hawkeye in 6.5 Creedmoor - 07/26/09
Originally Posted by SU35
Innovation is not bad..

I'm all for it and have looked for every reason to join
the Creed Club. Still looking and still have not found a reason.

Norma now makes 260 brass and I've necked up 243 Lapua.

My next rifle will be chambered in 6.5x308 Imp.

I'm surprised at how little I hear of the 260 AAR (All Around Rifle) from 6.5 lovers.

Its basically a 6.5x57 AI, or a 257 AI necked up to 264 cal.

I'm strongly considering one on a intermediate Mauser action w/ a #2 Shilen.

Its between that and a 260 Rem.

For all the talk about the latter being on its last legs I think we're ok. It is one that has grabbed the attention of hard core LR shooters so there is little doubt in my mind that there'll always be factory brass available.
In college, I was fascinated with the AAR, but I guess I gravitated to short actions and away from wildcats, but the AAR is a good round. Seafire on the board uses a 6.5x57. Likely not too far off. Another round of consideration for a long action might be the 6.5x55 AI, may be one also known as the BJ Arch? Anyway, Lapua brass formed out might be a nice round. It is said to hover near 6.5-284 territory......for those in need of a little boost.

I have been content for what I use my 6.5's for, but flatter trajectory never really hurt too many (though it seems someone I read using a 7x57, maybe Boddington, overshot a mule deer when underestimating his rifles trajectory).

I can imagine the faster 6.5s can take alot of guess work out in the field at unknown ranges when LRF is not available. Terrain where hunted can determine ranges that opportunities present.
I got an email back from Ruger today that the sporter weight SS 6.5 Creedmoor that was originally announced is not available. I wonder if that means ever, or yet??
spr1, maybe never, the round is not seemingly taking off from what I can tell, just not much noise level out there. They had a 338 Federal Ruger #1A sporter at the SHOT show in 2007, and the wholesalers had it listed.....it never appeared. Low demand I imagine scrapped plans, perhaps that will happen with the sporter Creed.

There may yet be few rifles mfg. in Creed, the Heavy Bbls..
Posted By: djs Re: Ruger Hawkeye in 6.5 Creedmoor - 08/01/09
Ruger has a propensity of announcing new chamberings and then just never following up.
I've always have been interested in the 6.5's, and try to keep up with them. It is my impression that Hornady designed this round to work with VLD "overlong" bullets ,and feed through the .308 AR 10 platform. For a bolt gun and a hunting cartridge there is no reason that the 260 with it's readilly available brass, headspace gauges, etc. is not a better bet. Am I not correct?
You're probably right but I think Ruger only chambers the 260 in the compact rifle with a 16 1/2" barrel. I would think this would hurt this cartridge quite a bit. I think Remington is chambering a limited edition 700 with a longer barrel in 260 this year though.
Unfortunately the industry is turning its back on the 260, '09 SHOT SHOW noise had it the 260 is dead/on the way out.....not for lack of merit. I see the 338 Federal falling on it's nose also. I think industry quickly runs from a new idea if sales aren't booming. Cut losses and stop marketing the new idea and move on. Shame.

Thanks goodness for custom guns and reloading.
Guys,

The 6.5 Creedmoor is basically identical to the .260 Remington. The .260 has a very tiny bit more case capacity, but the net result is analogous to the difference we see between "thick" or "thin" brass in 260/308, or a "fast" or "slow" barrel, or being able to seat a bullet out another 0.10" because of throat length. In short, they are ballistically identical. I see more variation .260 rifle to .260 rifle than I saw from the 6.5 CM barrel on the T2K to the .260 barrel on my AI.

With the Creedmoor, you can buy factory ammo from Hornady but also only get brass from them. In .260, there are a lot more brass choices.

It's not true that I dumped the 6.5x47 for the 6.5 CM. I had the opportunity to test both. In the end, I kept the .260 Rem AI-AW set up and got rid of the 6.5x47 and 6.5 CM barrels.
Welcome Zak, my bad, thought you found a preference to the CM. Mis-read/understood past reports.
No problem.

People often assume new is better (ie 6.5 CM) or that there are big differences. 6.5x47, .260, 6.5 CM are all very close. The 6.5x47 is down a little on velocity. The other two have logistical/availability tradeoffs. There's nothing wrong with .260 other than Remington's lack of marketing and their factory brass is variable. But those two aspects are pretty much irrelevant to our use, since we don't need marketing and we can use other much better brass.

best
Zak
I use Lapua .243 brass, necked up to .261+/- .001, for my 260AI. This in an XP-100R with a 14.5" bbl. and a Rem. 700 MTN. rifle with a 22" bbl. has performed very well on thin skinned animals at some long distances. Remington has only one offering in its' '09 catalog. Too bad due to the fact that Remington cooperated with Jim Carmichael to develope this cartridge. It is with great hope that Ruger does indeed follow suit and come out with the 6.5 Creedmore for us 6.5 enthusiats. The popularity of the .260, .260AI and the 6.5-284 has been with long range target participants. I have used my 6.5 platform to harvest many an antelope, whitetail deer and a couple of mulies. None have complained about not being dead enuf.
© 24hourcampfire