Home
Posted By: slideaction Skeeter Skelton - 07/27/09
Recently, bought a used copy of "Good friends, Good guns, Good whiskey" by Skeeter Skelton from a used bookstore in Redding California (a very good read).

I grew up in the 70's reading Skeeter Skelton's monthly articles in Shooting Times. Remember how sad I was when he passed away in 1988. I know he passed at a hospital in El Paso. Does anyone know the illness that took him?
Posted By: BRoper Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/27/09
Yeah, I really liked Skeeter Skelton's articles and stories. Made me sad too when he passed away. I felt like I lost an old friend even though I never met him. I probably read at the time what he died from but, don't remember now. His son, Bart, is on this forum from time to time, or was. Maybe he will see this and say something about it.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/27/09
IIRC he had a stroke.

I too remember him fondly, and saved several of his magazine articles.
Posted By: slideaction Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/27/09
He passed from a stroke. Thank you, I couldn't recall how he passed. Truly a shame.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/27/09
It always seemed to me that Skeeter was far less impressed with Skeeter than the rest of us were. I mean that as a high compliment. I miss his writing a great deal. He had the gift of being able to write fictional as well as factual material to the same high level. I always looked forward to reading about Dobe Grant (as well as about that tall yahoo with whom Skeeter would trade barbs).
Posted By: eh76 Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/27/09
I always did like his writing. Was the first thng I used to read when I recieved a copy of ST.
Posted By: slideaction Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/27/09
Me too.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/27/09
Originally Posted by slideaction
Recently, bought a used copy of "Good friends, Good guns, Good whiskey" by Skeeter Skelton from a used bookstore in Redding California (a very good read).

That is a great book. Watch for a used copy of the sequel, "Hoglegs, Hipshots, and Jalapenos." It's just as good.
Posted By: Dan_Chamberlain Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/27/09
I gave Bart a tip on one of his dad's old guns that was currently residing in Cedar Rapids. Evidently the price was too dear and he passed on it. A Browning High-Power.

Dan
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/28/09
i liked the story about the horse and bicycle race
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/28/09
One of my favorite paragraphs from his fiction:

"...He sipped his sourmash and leaned expansively back in the rickety kitchen chair. 'I got enough cash to last me. I got too many cows, and maybe too many guns. The guns are more fun than the cows, so I'm gonna cut the mama bunch in half, and I'm going to buy one of every new gun that comes out.' He paused and squinted at me to show he'd take no back talk. 'And you're going to help me shoot 'em'..."

-from the Legend of Dobe Grant
Posted By: djs Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/28/09
His stories were part nostalgia, part guns, part common sense. I always enjoyed them.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/28/09
I still reread his "Joe and Me" stories. He and Milek were my favorite gunwriters of the era. I don't think Shooting Times ever recovered from the loss of those two.
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/28/09
Met him once in the late 70s at Mathis Field in San Angelo on my way to deer hunt.....a very old school West Texas gentleman, reminded me of my dad's uncles. Happy to chat with a fan while he waited for his plane.
Posted By: HunterJim Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/28/09
Skeeter had the ability to interest readers in his subject. Even though I didn't care much for handguns, I got hooked on reading his stuff to the point that I started collecting revolvers with 5" barrels. Ross Seyfried is another writer who can do that.

jim
Posted By: R_Flowers Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/28/09
Skeeter, now there was a gunwriter! I never met the man, but was lucky enough to talk to him on the phone a couple of times.

He never wrote an article I did not enjoy, ever. His articles and books were full of great insight into guns and other products and such, and so full of entertainment about the older, better days of our country.

Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/29/09
Skeeter was my favorite gunwriter, bar none.
Virgil B.
Posted By: slideaction Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/29/09
Glad that Skeeter doesn't have to see the shape the country's in right now.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/29/09
Originally Posted by 222Rem
Originally Posted by slideaction

That is a great book. Watch for a used copy of the sequel, "Hoglegs, Hipshots, and Jalapenos." It's just as good.

+1

Both books are fantastic.

ddj
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/29/09
No writers around anymore that I enjoy reading like I did Skeeter, I always read skeeters stuff first when I got My new issue of Shooting Times.......Rest In Peace Skeeter you are missed........................547.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/29/09
Always read his stuff, he was the only reason I subscribed to ST. Got to meet him and Bill Jordon at a LE doings in El Paso in the late 60's, Both of them were way interesting to talk to and real down to earth. Skeeter could sure put away the whiskey at the BBQ that followed the conference. Stayed polite and articulate the whole evening too. That was one of the HIGHEST points in my career as a Deputy Sheriff, and they really were interested in what I had to say about rural police work in Florida.
Posted By: g5m Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/29/09
I always read his articles and really appreciated them. His passing was a real loss.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/29/09
Skeeter's real gift was that he had a whale of a ride in life and had the ability to get lots of us to have a whale fo a ride right along with him!!!
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/29/09
Originally Posted by T LEE
Skeeter could sure put away the whiskey at the BBQ

he was a little bit awash when I met him in Angelo, or else he was wearing bourbon after shave, but very nice and controlled.
Posted By: Dobetown Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/30/09
Bob Milek wife still lives in Thermopolis Wy. She works part time in the local museum.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Skeeter Skelton - 07/31/09
He only wrote one article I came to dislike and it wasn't his fault. I liked it enough to start with to buy a 45 based on his experience. It was about the AMT Hardballer I think. Anyway I liked what he said about his test gun and bought one of my own. Course he could only test the one they sent him and it worked fine. AMT said that mine should stop jamming every two or three rounds and start feeding better after 500 or 600 rounds had been fired. Sold that piece of junk at a huge loss and went back to my Ruger 357. When I read about Skeeter passing away it left a hollow place like I had lost a good friend, yet I had never met or talked with him. He had talent not only with a gun but also with a pen.
Posted By: Farmall Re: Skeeter Skelton - 08/05/09
Always liked Skeeter. My favorite article is "Flight From Mexico" which introduces Dobe Grant. My brother in law's dad is a dead ringer for Skeeter, but not as tall. It about broke his heart when I proved to him Dobe was fictional!

If you can find it, read "I Remember Skeeter". It's a collection of stories about the man, written by those who knew him best.

I'd damn sure liked to met him, makes me sad typing this.
Lets all have a shot of "Old Taylor" (IIRC) in remembrance!

Andy
Posted By: SharpsShooter Re: Skeeter Skelton - 08/06/09
Skelton was a class act. I grew up on his work. The world is a poorer place after his passing. He reminds me of my father.

j
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Skeeter Skelton - 08/07/09
I too have GG,GF,GW, and am looking for a copy of H,H, and H. I got my copy of Good Guns, Good Friends, Good Whiskey when it came out, and took it to college with me. A story a night for quite a while, and it was excellent writing.

How many of us load Skeeter's load of 2400 behind a 158 grain CSWC in our .357s? I use .357 cases, but truly enjoy the load.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Skeeter Skelton - 08/07/09
Farmall,

Regarding your name; M or H? I have my Dad's Super W-6 gas tractor, in good shape. I should fix it up someday. I last used it on the farm in 1994 to harrow some hayground I had spiked up. My Grandfathers first tractor was an old (pretty new then, I suppose) 15-30, now long gone.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Skeeter Skelton - 08/07/09
The 400 was always my favorite.
Posted By: Farmall Re: Skeeter Skelton - 08/07/09
300 Savage,

Actually both. Always been an IH man at heart. Skeeters dad owned a Case dealership prior to his passing, so thats a plus in my book!

Ever since I was a kid, my goal was to be a full time diesel mechanic and part time farmer. Found out you can't make a decent living doing either. Quit farming, and now just wrench for fun.
The 60 series through the 86 series are my specialties, though.

I will say Skeeter was a better man than I for being able to shoot his 44 Special load. Too much for me!

Andy
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Skeeter Skelton - 08/07/09
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Skeeter Skelton - 08/08/09
Farmall,

I don't farm anymore either, but still love tractors! They run a close second to guns for me. I can tell the sound of an 4 cylinder McCormick/Deering a mile away.
Posted By: pmeisel Re: Skeeter Skelton - 09/07/09
I have a copy of both books, but my library is in disarray from a move, and I just can't seem to find them.
© 24hourcampfire