Home
Posted By: sjs Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/08/09
My sons are taking me on a Russian Boar Hunt for my 60th birthday present. They tell me the shooting is very close and fast and scopes are not recommended. The boar they want to go for are supposedly in the 200-300 pound range.

Like many others, my collection of firearms changes and evolves constantly. I went to scopes exclusively a while back when my old eyes just couldn't handle iron sights anymore, especially in the shadows of the woods. As a result, the only thing I have right now with iron sights is an M1 Garand, an M1A NM Springfield Armory and a .357 magnum Ruger GP100. I never used the two military rifles for hunting but see no reason they would not be fine.

I have never hunted boar and based on what I have read I am guessing the .357 is a little light, though I do have some Buffalo Bore 180 gr.hard cast, flat nose ammo on hand. I also know the gas systems on the M1 and M1A are not meant for heavy bullets over slow burning powder. I also do not reload anymore.

I would appreciate any suggestions for factory ammo loads for the M1 and M1A that would be appropriate.

Thank you.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/08/09
I'd not be worried about using your rifles with scopes, unless they are all topped with fixed 12x.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/08/09
I would suggest a Revolver.45 Colt,44mag,41Mag etc. with hard cast boolits.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/08/09
if your hunting with good dogs all you need is one of these [Linked Image]
Posted By: orion03 Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/08/09
How about a 1895 Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 with a ghost ring peep sight?
Posted By: 1234567 Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/08/09
Either the M1 or the M1A, but be sure to attach the bayonet. Them things can be tough.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/08/09
sjs,
You didn't say where you are hunting these "Russian boar", but if it is with dogs, it will probably be in a swamp or the mountains. Shooting is close, and handguns like the .357, .41 Mag and .44 Mag are okay, if the pig lets you get that close without charging you first.

Most of my dog hunting partners have now relegated their handguns to backup after some scary episodes with real bruisers.

A Marlin 336 in .35 Remington is their choice.
I use a .30-30 or an HK-91, depending on the situation.
You can buy a Marlin used and sell it later if you want to and get all your money back.

If you are not quick with iron sights, mount a one-piece Picatinny rail on the Marlin 336 with a red dot sight like an Eotech, C-more or something low in 30mm or larger. The Bushnell, Burris, Tasco will all work. Sight it in for 25 yards, and it will be dead on again about 125 to 150, depending on the height.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/08/09
[Linked Image]
I've trapped and killed alot of Russian Boar. We were infested with them for 5-6 years.

Buy some ammo and cycle it thru your long guns before you go hunting to see if it functions properly.

I've shot them in traps with a .44 magnum, but there was a nice steel fence between us.

The only reason I would not suggest using a handgun is that things can happen quickly when fooling with hogs.

If your on the ground using dogs, you better be quick and a good shot. Most folks handle long guns better than pistols and you have a better choice of bullets with more energy.

You also increase the element of danger to yourself and the folks around you when using a pistol. If you use one, know what's in the back ground before you shoot. Same with the rifle but, the pistol requires extra care.

If you are in a stand overlooking a baited area, then the pistol would be fine. Just make sure you have a good shot, following up wounded piggies in thick brush is not fun.

Best,

JM.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/08/09
Win 94 in 30-30 is all you need in a rifle , Pistol 44 mag or 45 Colt will get the job done. I killed my last one with my 45 acp Springfield. Hornady 230 gr XTP.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I've hunted hogs with both irons and scopes. When using the latter I stick with a 1-3 or 1.5-5 variable, with the scope on it's lowest setting. Distance is not the issue, but light is. I hunt in heavy woods and the light gathering abilities of a scope at low power are appreciated in the early morning and late afternoon, when the hogs are more naturally active.

I don't hunt with dogs, but if you are going to the irons are probably a better choice. Many hunt operators frown on scopes as the reduced field of view can lead to the shooting of dogs which are on the hog. And in that situation you are shooting from a matter of feet, not yards.

Handgun hunting isn't my thing, but I always carry a .44 Special or 45 Colt on my hip.Prefer heavy XTPs over hardcast. A couple of times I've had to crawl into some thick stuff and wouldn't have been as comfortable with a .357. In rifles any deer cartridge will work, but in handguns I would like more punch.

Not that familiar with the military hardware you have, but if they will reliably cycle hunting ammo you should be go to go.

You will have a great time....report and pics when you return!

Posted By: sjs Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/08/09
Thanks much guys. We are hunting in TN on a large area that claims to be fair chase, but I guess they all do. I think it will include some stand hunting, some spot and stalk and some with dogs.

I took my Win.M70,CRF,.06 out today with a 3-9X Nikon and practiced shooting quickly from field positions. I think on 3X I can still get a very fast sight picture and see clearly enough right up to my feet. I don't need to worry about limiting my load as with the M1 or M1A and it is zeroed with Federal Premium High Energy 180g. Partitions, so I think I am going with that.

I appreciate all the comments. Especially the funny ones. I'll let you know how it turns out (unless I get skunked).
Wild (so called russian) boars are the main game here and according to our perspective I would say a .30 cal with .180 grains bullets is an appropriate choice, no matter the kind of hunt you will perform. Personally, I would not try to hunt them driven by the dogs with something lighter if big bulls are targetted.

I consider handgun loads far too light for that game. I saw much more powerful bullets (.270, .270 WSM, 8x57, 7x64, .300 winne, ...) that didn't stuck them in their tracks and in that case you'll need an exit hole and a blood trail to retrieve it.

I know a cop that needed 4 .357 rounds right in the head to stop a big one of those.

Just my 2 cents.
we kill'em down here with knifes and dogs as well as guns. got to have good catch dog to hold the hog while you go in and stick'em. theres a outfit in cotulla tx that books hog hunts with knifes. tred barts filmed a episode of his show there
Posted By: Heeler Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/08/09
IMHO, you really don't need a heavy, premium bullet. Also, IMHO, a '06 150gr WW Power Point would work just fine. I don't think that would be too "hot" a load for the M1????

I went on a hog hunt several years ago in SE Oklahoma. Carried a Model 94 30-30 and used Winchester grey box 150 grainers. Carried a .357 Mag as backup. We were hunting over dogs and I shot a 250 lb boar at 30 yards that the dogs treed in a roadbank. One shot from the 30-30 (high lung broadside) and it dropped DRT.

Good luck, and have fun with your boys on your birthday!!!!!
Posted By: efw Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/08/09
My hunting partner nailed a 180 pounder our first time out and a 280 lb boar our second, both w/ 140 gr ABs through his 270 WSM. He keeps his 357 mag as back up. I don't think either are overly light at all.

I shot a 120 pounder my first time; 44 mag Redhawk loaded w/ 270 gr Speer Gold Dot Flat Points. Ran a little, died in view of our stand.

Second time I nailed a 180 lb sow w/ a 165 gr SST through my '06 at approx 2950 fps and she was DRT... I mean she just dropped and didn't feel a thing. That was using a 3-9x40mm scope after dark and it went just fine.

Any of those three weapons would be great. Just remember to study anatomical charts and slap 'em where the spine meets the head and they fall like a sack of potatoes.

Any deer bullet will do the job, but if you're like me a special hunt gets a special load. You'd be hard pressed to beat a 180 gr RN Interlock (maybe H-4895 as powder?) through the Garand, and you could do a lot worse than that through the Springfield as well. Same w/ CRF M70 in '06... though a slower powder like IMR-4350 might be better for it.

Remember that shots like that don't depend upon velocity... you get a good shooting, heavy-for-caliber load that is accurate through your rifles and PRACTICE for the types of shots you anticipate and you'll be good to go!

Good luck; post pics!

Posted By: savage62 Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/08/09
sounds like a good pump shotgun or dubble barrel would work the best for this kind of hunting most likly any 20-or 12 -or 16
Posted By: Paul5388 Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/08/09
Tennessee is much more like east Texas than south Texas. All of the hogs I've killed in my front yard have been with 00 buck, but that's usually around Midnight and only a security light to see by.

They've all been 40+ yards and usually don't go far, even with a bad hit.

Here's a 250#, more or less, that was hit by three buck way too far back.

[Linked Image]

He went about 45 yards, where he piled up!

This one was at about the same distance and I shot him from the front porch. He went about 50 yards before piling up.

[Linked Image]

This one dropped on the spot, but a pellet hit her in the head.

[Linked Image]

Sometimes we get them in "coveys"! wink

[Linked Image]

These were small ones and we used a .357 Mag rifle with 250 gr cast, .30-30 with 170 gr cast and reduced loads in .243.
them little ones make for some fine eating. this is a boar i shot back in jan. with my 300wm 180 accubond at about 190yds [Linked Image] and this is a little one that got hit after i shot a sow through the neck with my 300rum [Linked Image] the sow [Linked Image] yep south texas is not like east tx
Posted By: rost495 Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/08/09
I've done in a lot of pigs too... I'm not just worried about having to kill one, and most that I've killed have been with my 22 pistol either ear or lungs. Thats worked just fine on up to around 150 pounders or so. The ones with shields take a big more sometimes, but one in the ear canal has always worked regardless. Thats all we've ever used with them in the traps, up to about 300 or so.

But then I've used a shotgun with buck a lot too, trying to kill as many as quick as I can.

Bottom line, I'd take a decent deer type rifle that you can work good and are familiar with and choose a non varmint type bullet and you'll be fine.
I don't own a farm so I guess I can wish that we had a slew of those critters around here.

I am thinking that I would lean hard on a couple of lever guns I have around here. One is a 1936 model Marlin in .32 spl. the other is a Marlin model 30TK in .30-30.

I have to admit though, if I had the chance to hunt them very often, I would be out trying to poke one with a No. 4 Mk1 Enfield in .303 British.

The big old ghost ring peep on the rear would spell doom on piggie right quick.
Posted By: Paul5388 Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/09/09
If you'll leave 'em in a trap about a day in the summer, you don't have to kill 'em.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Junior1942 Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/09/09
I had a nice herd of wild hogs on my river bottom land up until two years ago. The a-holes on an adjacant hunting club gut shot them with 22s at their corn feeders. That way the hogs ran off out in the woods and died--slow and hard.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/09/09
Never hunted pigs but I'd sure like to. If and when I do my Marlin Guide Gun .45-70 will probably get the nod, that or my .500 S%W.
Posted By: 1B Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/09/09
My buddy TBear here has killed dozens of wild boars and hogs -- and lots of bear too -- with his Remington 760 pump gun in .35 Whelen. It offers fast reloads, light carry weight, great accuracy for the odd longer shot, and serious attention- getting impact. And they are not all that expensive.

You easily can get a peep sight for it or a low power fixed or variable scope. A Leupold VX III 1.75 x 6 would do.

Good luck,
1B
We kill a lot of hogs, in fact we had 2 catch & 1 chase dog killed yesterday by a 375-400# boar. During the summer some of the guys kill with dogs & knives or over baites. None of us are good enough with a pistol to use 1 but a 30-30/44mag carbine works great. If I were you I'd use a M1 they are easier to carry than a m14 and I used 1 in Viet Nam. Have fun.
Pigs are not hard to kill and the muscle structure is not as tough as many other animals of the same weight. I have killed them with cartridges ranging from the .223 loaded with 55gn Sierra's through to the .460 Weatherby loaded with 500gn Hornady's.

I like the usual deer cartridges best, or a .45/70 for the fun of it.

JW
There maybe some misconceptions about hog control, which is entirely different from hunting.

Feral hogs aren't anything other than one time domestic hogs that have reverted back to their wild state. After a few generations, they are as wild as one would want and more destructive than most people know about.

Here's my front yard this past March.

[Linked Image]

It usually takes a few trips with a disc and then either a spike tooth harrow or tiller to get things back pretty much to normal. When it's a hay meadow that has been rooted up or other crop land, it's an even bigger problem.

Here's a 100 foot row of Apache thornless blackberries that was rooted almost out of the ground.

[Linked Image]

People think it's great fun to hunt hogs and maybe profitable too, so they have "imported" and released quite a few of them. That wouldn't be so bad, if the hogs would stay on the release land, but they don't! The end result is everyone having to deal with the problem of destructive vermin over running the county.

We applaud the demise of hogs and it doesn't matter if they were gut shot with a .22 or a .458 Win Mag, just as long as they're gone!
Posted By: efw Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/09/09
Pigs are the best tasting bullet testing medium known to man!

Paul, we in Michigan are trying to stop their spread and I agree with you... unfortunately our DNR didn't know how to handle them right off the bat, and at the rate they breed it gave them a foothold.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/09/09
my favorite way to shoot them is at night.we had feeders with lights. when the hogs would come in at night to feed i'd use my AR to kill as many as i could
paul the best way we found to somewhat control them was using snares. its not the most humane way to kill'em but is real effective
We have a government employed professional trapper/hunter here in the county and he mostly uses traps. However, he's spread so thin, I really wonder how effective he's being. The neighbor behind me said he rebaited the trap that's there, but I don't think they've caught anything.
I hate that I can't be part of the solution foy you guys that have pig problems.

I also want you to know that when you are dealing with creatures destroying your property, I am of the opinion that they surrendered their chance at fair play. If You have extra claymore mines, I would be for you using them.
the pigs get wise to the traps but can't see the snares when their running the trails at night
Posted By: Otis Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/10/09
I have hunted "wild boars" as some people call it, from central CA to AR! I have used muzzle loader to 22 Hornet! It just depends on the size of hog and where you shoot them! My favorite little rifle is a CZ 527M. Its is in 7.62x39, topped with a Leupold 1-5x VXII. its like having open sites on 1x, and has such a broad field of view I see everything even up close and fast! I do use an old Marlin 35 Rem. from time to time! Most any deer cartirdge will work if you get them in the sites! Good luck, and hog hunting is my favorite kind of hunting!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/10/09
I would think that the 7.62 Russian would be the perfect cartridge for Russian boars.
Posted By: shootem Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/11/09
Wife popped about a 300 pounder a few years back over at the Caryona (or something like that) Lodge in TN on an NRA women's hunt. Used a .44 Ruger carbine and 270gr GoldDots with a 1.5x4.5 Bushnell Firefly, very heavy crosshair. No problem. Shoulder shot DRT and the guide was almost as impressed as the pig.
Posted By: Kimberman Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/11/09
I have only been in the middle of them once, and between my buddy and myself we downed 5 of them. Both of mine were DRT with a 130 Gr Scirocco out of my 270 WSM. My buddy planted 2 of them with factory 270 Hornady Light Mag 130 gr Interbonds. The first 2 dropped on the spot, but the third was a running shot that hit too high and broke the spine mid back, allowing the use of its front legs to crawl away. I ended up finishing him with a 32 Win Special model 94. All worked well when put in the right spot, and poorly if you didnt, which applies to all calibers.
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/11/09
I would suggest a 7.62x54R round in an M44 Mosin-Nagant carbine. Just don't forget to extend the bayonet, in case the Russian boar charges.
Posted By: cal74 Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/11/09
All you need is a well placed arrow where it counts.

Other than my bow, my next option would be a pistol of some sorts. I don't by into the staying away from a scope on a gun. Those comments come from people who aren't used to modern day optics and don't trust their scopes.

Crappy pic of me, but here's a piggy of mine a couple years ago.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lee24 Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/11/09
Nice hog. In what part of the country did you shoot him, and time of year?

I'll have to take a photo of some of my pig hunting terrain, where you can't see halfway to your 4-wheeler, so you can understand why a telescopic sight gets in the way.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/11/09
I have killed them with bows as well.

That is open woods you are in. You're lucky, because when I hit one with a well placed arrow like you did, I ended up crawling a couple of hundred yards thru brush and briars to find him. I ended up bleeding more than the hog.

That will make you concentrate on the next one, believe me.

As far as modern optics go, I can stick you in a place where hogs are and you'll pry those modern day optics off of your rifle in about 2 minutes.

JM.

Posted By: cal74 Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/11/09
My pig was around a 100-150 miles East of Nashville. Supposed to have been around a 1000 fenced acres, probably closer to 500. Hunt was in early March. 1/2 of the area was pretty brushy and you had to get on your hands and knees. Where I took the shot I was kneeling down going through the crap.

With a rifle it would have been no challenge, few guys took them with pistols in my group and they had to work for them a little bit.

Took me a couple days and I took the largest in our group, only one with a bow. Still went probably a 1/4 mile, but really bled. As you can see the arrow went in behind the ribcage into the vitals. Strong quartering away shot.

It was a three day hunt and the next day I would have taken my black powder if I wasn't successful with my bow.

GOOD EATING though
Posted By: croldfort Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/11/09
sjs

I have never shot a hog, except to farm butcher with a .22LR, but I know an excuse to buy a new Marlin Lever 18" Guide Gun in .45-70 when I see one. That was my rationalization, and I still haven't went hog hunting. I used the same excuse on my SS Ruger .223 Ranch Rifle, Rem Mod 81 auto in .300Sav, a couple of Win 94 .32Win, and couple of Marlin 336 .35Rems. Go for a new Guide Gun. You won't be sorry. Good luck on your hunt. Life is good.
SJS...you will do well with that rifle and with the scope set to 3X
Posted By: Ready Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/14/09
Originally Posted by cal74

Other than my bow, my next option would be a pistol of some sorts. I don't by into the staying away from a scope on a gun. Those comments come from people who aren't used to modern day optics and don't trust their scopes.

[Linked Image]

Weidmannsheil on the boar.

Between the two of us (and anyone reading this) calling that shot "well placed" is a stretch.
It was "well enough" placed to kill the hog.
Posted By: Ready Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/14/09
[Linked Image]

Looks like we have a similar idea of hog "optics".

And 'lo and behold' the Marlin .45-70 kills hogs.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/14/09
I shot quit a few with a 243 and 25-06. Never didnt work.
+1 on your M70 30/06. I think you'll do just fine. I believe that where you hit them is more important than what you hit them with. Where we hunt if you don't put the hog down where it stands you'll most likely lose it to the swamp and the gators, so we go for head shots mostly. I've seen hogs (about 200 now) shot with .223, 243, 257, 308, 30/06, 338RCM no 30/30 yet but no reason they won't do a dandy job. You put a bullet in the right place and the hog will be dead, so if your comfortable with that M70 then it'll work for you, and I'd use the scope at 3X and be happy.

[Linked Image]

Most of these were shot with .223's using head shots, some of the others were with a 308 and maybe a 338RCM
(that 338RCM is kinda marginal imo grin)
Posted By: tbear Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/14/09
I am into hog/boar hunting & have shot them in many states & want a European Boar the next time I cross the pond. That is one damn fine boar with a lot of Russian.
It depends on where and how I am hunting. My .358 Win works fine if the range isn't much past 200 or 250 yards. Otherwise, I use a .30-06 or .300 Win mag for longer shots, like across barley fields.
Posted By: cal74 Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/14/09
Originally Posted by cmg
Originally Posted by cal74

[Linked Image]

Weidmannsheil on the boar.

Between the two of us (and anyone reading this) calling that shot "well placed" is a stretch.
It was "well enough" placed to kill the hog.

The weight of the animal makes the arrow look like it's parallel with the hog. It was more about 45 degrees, rather than the 80 or so that it seems. Hit both lungs and went out the other side, bled like a stuck pig that a blind man could have followed. I've taken similar shots on whitetails and it's worked perfectly everytime.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/15/09
that is a well placed shot with a bow on that boar. a quartering shot were you slip the arrow in behind the shield works real good on the big boars
Posted By: Ready Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/15/09
Thanks you for the explantion - and for taking my remark in good spirit.

Never a day where you do not learn something.

Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Russian Boar Cartridges - 08/15/09
He killed it, so it was a good enough shot and that is a prize hog.

A couple of things:

If I arrowed a hog and it traveled a 1/4 mile, I didn't make a good shot.

Looking at the angle of entry, It's questionable whether it even contacted the off side lung.

A hog's vitals are quite small for it's size and located forward in the animal. The lung area is actually located mid shoulder on a broadside shot. The heart is low in the body. The Photos I found below show where the stuff is at.
[img]http://[/img] [Linked Image]
AS YOU CAN SEE THE CAVITY AREA IS ONLY SLIGHTLY LARGER THAN THE HAND OF MY 13 YR OLD SON, WHO SHOT THE HOG. THE LARGE ARTERIES FROM THE LUNGS AND HEART ARE SEEN PLAINLY IN THE PHOTO.

JM

© 24hourcampfire