Home
Anyone wearing the Cabela's copies of the LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoe? How do they compare? Which soles are you using and how do you like them?
You mean that China ripoff?
I'm not sure why anyone would copy the 'Maine hunting shoe'. When it was introduced in 1912 I'm sure it was one heck of a boot, but 95+ years later, there are definitely better options. Being from Maine, I have had several pairs, but I find them uncomfortable, and not very warm. I currently have a pair with thinsulate lining and the Bean Bob sole, and they mostly stay in the closet.
I'm not sure I agree. With a pair of good wool socks, I find them warm and comfortable, easy on the feet. Probably not my first choice for mountain hunting, but still a darn good boot. I suppose they are the boot equivalent to the Nosler Partition. There might be something new better, but not by much. A classic that still gets the job done. I'm sure it all depends on the conditions you hunt, and the condition of your feet. Feet are funny. Neither one size, nor one style will suit everyone.

Why go with Cabela's when you can still get the original?
I put mine on this morning at 6 AM and they were still on until after dinner. They are not a heavy duty hiking boot and there are lots of boots I would rather wear in subzero conditions, but for general mucking around in the mud and the crud they are hard to beat. Hatari has it right, don't skimp on the socks.

I have several pair and wear them from September right through April. Basically, I guess I pretty much live in them.
A lot of hunters used to wear the Bean boots down South, too, because so much of the woods are either soaked with dew, or boggy marsh. Bird hunting, when the frost is really heavy at 20 degrees or so, then melts as the sun gets higher, you need shoes and trousers that will not get soaked in the broom straw and blackberry patches.

And I hunters in the Midwest wearing them in deep snow; older hunters, that is.
Younger hunters seem to not wear them at all.

I just wondered if those who wear them are die hard LL Bean, or have tried the Cabela's, which don't look as nice to me.
Originally Posted by Lee24
Anyone wearing the Cabela's copies of the LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoe? How do they compare? Which soles are you using and how do you like them?

I have the ones from Cabela's (extreme version with 44 gram insulation). They are okay. Winter caught up to us while moose hunting last month and one of the mornings started at about 10 degrees or so and didn't warm up much beyond that. Even while riding a 4-wheeler, walking in powdery snow and the incessant wind my feet really didn't get cold. They weren't as warm as a pair of LaCross Iceman's, but the wool socks and preparations I made kept me from being miserable.

I'm actually contemplating a real pair of Bean boots next year with the insulation and Gore-Tex liner in them. The real chink in these kind of boots is where the shaft is stitched to the foot.
I've been wearing the Bean regular boots and most recently the insulated ones for years for rabbit, squirrel and deer hunting in Ohio and Pennsylvania. I get a size bigger boot than I normally wear for better confort with heavier socks and room enough for my arch supports. The Bean boots are flat as a board inside thus the need for the arch supports. One thing I always do is not lace them up too tight. Just enough to keep my foot from sliding around in them. Otherwise, if they were laced up tight my feet would freeze up.
My current pair of Bean hunting boots are around 15 years old and have the thinsulate in the rubber bottoms. I have worn them twice last week during our muzzle-loader season (had a nor'easter dropping lots of rain). They are not much when it is really cold, but for mushy hunting when it is above freezing they work great. I will buy another pair of LL Bean brand when these wear out - no Chinese crap for me (too much of it out there already).
As Lee suggested, Beans are still very popular down south where its muddy during most of the hunting season. In mud and muck they can't be beat. Nearly everyone I know who hunts has a pair.

Lee, I've tried the cabela's and they were not nearly the same. I quickly followed up with another pair of Beans. Among other things, the Cabela's boot ate my socks. No matter how long of socks I wore, they'd always end up down in the boot. I hate that.
I have a pair of the Bean Boots and find no fault with them. As you say, for mud and slop, in mild temps, they are perfect.
And, they are THE best boot for scent control Deer hunting. Rubber bottoms are the reason.
Had the Cabela's brand and they held up well for several years but didn't hold the water out very well.
Maybe I am biased being a New Englander but they are great boots when temps are above freezing. I have owened a pair for 15+ years and when the soles wear out you can send them back for resoling. There are better boots when it cold and better for hiking in the mountains but when still hunting through cedar swamps they get the job done as they have for the last 97 yrs. The other plus is Bean's Customer Service is second to none.

On LL BEAN BOOTS:

My hunting buddy bought a pair, I'll say three years ago, but I'm thinking it might have been two. I was impressed with them, they were insulated, Mossy Oak camo,and fairly light weight. Last year they gave up some stitching and just started to fall apart. If they were mine I'd have a brand new pair compliments of LL BEAN. NOT sure why he won't do anything about that. Point is their quality may be slipping.

LL Bean Maine hunting boots on steroids = Schnees pac boot. Although claimed to be made in Montana, some of the rubber parts are not. Still, Schnees and Whites pac boots are 'none betta'

http://www.schnees.com/category/schnees-insulated-pac-boots?r=HOME2a

http://www.whitesboots.com/store/Whites_Pacs_boots.php
It depends how you hunt. Guys who wear backpacks or hunt mountains and out west won't like them. They're not meant for that style of hunting. If you still-hunt the Northeast (apparently down south as well) there's none better. They specifically have a thin sole that helps you feel the forest floor when walking slowly. I have the 16 inch models and they are great for this. I also have Lacrosse Alphaburly's and heavy, vibram soled hiking boots. I always leave them at home when hunting the Northeast, the soles are too thick and heavy.
They have a place in my boot line up. They are very comfortable and I wear them while not hunting a lot. I do like them for hunting when it is not too cold. I had a pair that the stiching came undone. When I was going through freeport I dropped them off. They mailed them back to me with new laces and insoles, no charge. LL Bean is legendary for ther custormer service and they are still tops. I think that is one of the only reasons that keeps me coming back, recently lots of China stuff for $$, but the boots are still great and American made.
I wore out a pair of Maine Hunting boots burning brush piles. I found the chain lug soles to be absolutely worthless on steep slopes.

I asked Schnees to put together a narrow pack boot for me (13 A). They blew me off and told me they could not help me. I contacted the guys below and they put together the finest pack boot I have owned. CP.

http://www.hoffmanboots.com/
For stalking in wet stuff, not much better out there then a pair with the soft soles. Like moccasins.
I've had LL Beaners since the 60's. The original chain tread is far outdated. 20 years ago I had My pair resoled to the bob that they were offering, much thicker sole. I still have these and they are very good for warm weather hunting. Use them every Spring & Fall. The last I knew, they would not do the bob any more in the regular Maine Hunting Shoe. For cold weather, I wear either a pair of Danners or Schnees.
Stick with the original. LL Bean service is great!
For the wet falls in CT, you can't do better. I been wearing LL Bean Maine Boots for 30 + years now. I wear thinsulate in winter and plain jane in the late spring and summer months. They are my favorite flying shoe, I wear a pair of short tops for that. You can't beat Schnees for when its really cold or out in Bethel in Feb.
Where appropriate nothing better - sized with felt liners plenty warm enough - extra felt liners are nice - for both work and hunting - but not for hiking. Good for birds but not for packing out after a successful deer or bigger hunt.

No doubt Goretex liners and oversocks work just fine for similar applications as well.

Forced to choose just one I'd go with quality Danners to do things the Maine Hunting Show won't but I'm not forced to choose.

Mostly I'm still annoyed that L.L. Bean stopped saying Maine Hunting and started calling them Bean Boots a long time ago. Then too I got annoyed at the common use of Velcro on what would otherwise have been prime hunting clothes from Bean. Is Bean hunter friendly these days or still catering to the puffy jacketed campus crowd?
Campus Crowd.

I have a set, I use them for early season stuff, Squirrel hunting, bow season, setting up stands and mucking about in the woods in general, There reasonably waterproof, comfortable for a couple of miles. Also great for shoveling show, raking leaves and the general fall through spring outside chores. In the winter its a nice boot for running to the store etc as its easy tpo slip into and will keep you dry in parking lot slush.

I find them more comfortable for sitting in a stand than the rubber Ankle/Instep fit rubber boots (which I use if walking greater distances in the wet woods)

For cold weather hunting I use a Rocky snow stalker which is in a different class insulation wise

I bought my bean boots in 1988 and they are still going. I good general purpose boot and very useful in the northeast.

I agree, the chain lug soles give very little traction in snow and mud and I don't recommend them for hunting. On the other hand, I have a pair of the felt lined ones (not sure if they still make that one) with the bobbed sole, and they are very good..still not quite warm enough for stand hunting, but then, I tend to get cold feet. I got a pair of Lacross big burlys with 1000gm insulation for Newfoundland and they were terrific for the wet bogs..hard to beat Bean customer service as others have noted..
I have always had great luck with Bean Boots. As a matter of fact, once the soles ware down they will replace them for you. The customer service there is the best I've seen.

CLB
Only down side is they seem flatter on the bottom as you gain weight.
the cabelas brand with the better soles for traction are good value..I wear them alot. Wouldn't have the beans again because the traction is poor.

The boots are now again called the Maine Hunting Shoe. They are different from Bean Boots as they lack a steel shank. It changed back a few years ago after their decission was met with some critisism.
There is a pair of the originals among the several pairs of hunting boots I have. Been rebuilt once or twice. I don't use them much anymore. They don't hold up well for me, first thing I know they're letting too much water in, also the original chain tread soles get too slippery too fast, I've had a few close calls with them. I think, from what I've seen of them and what I've heard, I'd get a pair of Schnees if I wanted a leather top rubber bottom boot.
I had a pair several years ago, didn't like them. They were cold in the fall, hot when the sun hit them, and hurt my feet. I tried wearing them to work when we were building on a really muddy lot, but I ended up hooking the rubber foot part on a jagged rebar, tore a hole in one, and threw them away. They didn't leak until I ripped them, just uncomfortable.
Damn, didn't Liar24 design these?

He ought to be the authority on these, and all other hunting boots, as he claims he is on everything else.........................
I find they work well under certain conditions, but I wouldn't use them for hunting rough terrain or as a work boot. I also found that the wool innersoles make a big difference.

To get a good fit, I ended up with different sizes for each foot. Bought a nearly new pair off e-bay, and mixed the pairs. You can also accomplish this by getting new bottoms for one boot. They can go up or down one size with this.

Paul
I don't think anyone is recommending the LL Bean Maine Hunting Boot for every climate, weather and terrain. But you can see that a lot of people like it for muck, swamps, heavy dew, and even snow.

I think we all may have started hunting with just one boot, but now own 3, 4, 5, or 6 very different boots. I still hunt in old running shoes (dyed green and brown), and worn out casual shoes like the Rockport mocassin and leather walker. (Rockport makes a super Chukka boot and hunting boot on that same mocassin design, but stores don't carry them.)

A common thing about those who use the LLBMHB is they seem to be still hunters or bird hunters, who walk more, walk quietly, and like to feel the ground under their feet.

A common thing about those who use the LLBMHB is they seem to be still hunters or bird hunters, who walk more, walk quietly, and like to feel the ground under their feet.

This sums it up well.
Yes they are great boots for still hunters
On flat ground the chain soles suck if there are any hills to climb when wet. grin

Originally Posted by wildhunter
Yes they are great boots for still hunters
I've used Bean Boots for over 30 years and find them to be, in general, damp, cold, or both. Since they have rubber bottoms, they don't breath and if your socks don't wick the moisture away, you're going to have damp/wet feet. If the weather is cold and you slow down or stop, you're going to have damp/wet/cold feet. They don't provide much support for your feet, so a properly fitted/shaped pair of insoles is critical if you're going to walk very far in them. The "chain" pattern soles don't have much of a tread profile when they are new and since they are made from a soft rubber compound, they wear very quickly on rocky ground or pavement. These days, I generally prefer a boot with Gore-Tex and cordura in its construction in lieu of all leather or a rubber bottom "pac" boot. However, boots are a very personal piece of gear and what works well for 1 person is often 180-degrees out from the preference of another, so my experience is very likely not a reflection of what your experience might be.

Jeff
I don't think anyone is recommending the LL Bean Maine Hunting Boot for every climate, weather and terrain. But you can see that a lot of people like it for muck, swamps, heavy dew, and even snow.....

Actually, they are quite useless in muck, swamps and heavy dew. They soak up moisture in a hurry through the stitching, and are about the most uncomfortable boot you can have on when wet.

Ted
I used a pair of 13" Schnees in Alberta. They were great in snow,slush and sticky mud.I have the bob soles and a removable liner. The guide said "oh you got the good boots" with a note of surprise. Schnees has great customer service as well.
These boots are of no value in California!
I had a pair of Cabela's, I have never had a pair of Beans. My brother in law swears by his Beans. I swore at my Chinamanese ones from Cabelas. They never fit my heel correct, kept the forrest dry for others by sucking in all the water in the area. I mailed them back in, got questions, like how do you know they leak? I suggested they put them on and stand in a bucket of ice water. I ended up getting the Irish setter boot they had on sale, Gore Tex, super lightweight, medium insulation, about 12" tall, I've hunted in cold deep snow at 9500'for elk, my feet were comfy. I can wear the Setter all day, day after day. If I had to have a pair of leather top rubber bottom boots, I would call Beans, fill out the order, pay more than cheap knockoffs and be happy. No more junk for me.
I use a pair of the waxed cotton uppers Bean Boots for most of my hunting from August through October (and later if not too cold). They are a great lightweight workhorse. If one places a wool felt insole in the bottom and/or wears a thick wool sock, then the moisture issue can be handled much easier than in GoreTex boots that don't breathe.

As to leakage, simply wax the uppers and especially the seams ahead of time. That is pretty much true of any non-GT boot though, so seems obvious. A beeswaxed pair of Bean leather boots is about indestructible except on very jagged rocks for the soles.

I have a new pair of insulated leather Cabelas for late this fall. They seem to be a good boot looking at them, but have not wrung them out just yet.
I had this boot 2 years ago but I didn't like them . I used only 2 months . They are not good for winters days . After that one of my expert friend recommended Lowa Men's Tibet GTX . They are, hands down, the best boots I've ever owned. I have been breaking them in over the last few weeks and have been amazed at how they fit and wear. This is not what I would call a lightweight boot, but you hardly can tell that you are wearing them.I started wearing them a few hours a days around the house and then out on some short hikes to break them in. Absolutely no hotspots, rubs, etc. I wear a size 10.5M to 11M shoe/boot normally, and I purchased these in an 11. The fit is perfect. Perhaps a little extra room in the toe than typical, but that does leave room for a heavier sock if necessary.

GTX bootie has been truly waterproof. I have worn them through some slop already and my feet stayed dry. The only thing I will say about the GTX is that it makes this a warm boot. Even though it isn't insulated, with the right sock(s), these boots would be adequate for all but the coldest of days
Now this is odd...new member, first post and it's to resurrect an almost eight year old thread about bean boots with what almost seems like an advertisement for Lowa's....written by someone with limited English proficiency....really odd....or maybe it's just me?
Originally Posted by cra1948
Now this is odd...new member, first post and it's to resurrect an almost eight year old thread about bean boots with what almost seems like an advertisement for Lowa's....written by someone with limited English proficiency....really odd....or maybe it's just me?
Nope, sounds fishy to me, as well.

Concerning the original Bean boots, I have a pair that I bought about 1978 that is on the third pair of soles, the last two having both been air-bobs. Don't have a lot of use for them down here in the Chihuahuan desert, but sometimes they do come in handy during El Nino winters.
I don't think Lowa needs a shill posting like this. I didn't click D link and won't...........
And, I'd be paralyzed for a week if I spent more than 5 minutes in Bean boots these days.
I bought my first pair of LL Bean boots in the early 70's and have had several pairs since. With merino wool socks and the sheepskin insoles they were good for fair weather flat terrain hunting. When conditions were slippery they were an invitation for a fall.
Have two pairs. One's the traditional uninsulated with chain tread, the other pair is insulated Oxford-height. The low ones are great winter shoes for mucking about outside in the wet, especially in winter. The high ones, with lots of socks, are comfy for woods-loafing in mild to chilly weather, but they'll kill you on leaf-covered slopes or rocky terrain. They have zero ankle support or protection and leave the soles of your feet vulnerable to bruising from anything you step on. I wore them for a few days while deer hunting, but never again, unless I hunt low, flat, pine woods someday.

There are other models with better support and traction, but they are much heavier. In the cold or in any kind of uneven terrain, I'll stick with my 800g Danners (Made in USA).
This thread was started 8 years ago by one of the most notorious trolls who ever joined the Campfire, who has long since departed in disgrace, so responding to the original post is at least somewhat ridiculous.

It was rebooted by a brand-new member who's apparently another troll, so any further posts are also at least somewhat ridiculous.

But one of the old traditions of the Campfire is responding to just about any post we have the slightest interest in, without reading any of the thread. Apparently that's why some of us are here! We need to be heard!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
This thread was started 8 years ago by one of the most notorious trolls who ever joined the Campfire, who has long since departed in disgrace, so responding to the original post is at least somewhat ridiculous.

It was rebooted by a brand-new member who's apparently another troll, so any further posts are also at least somewhat ridiculous.

But one of the old traditions of the Campfire is responding to just about any post we have the slightest interest in, without reading any of the thread. Apparently that's why some of us are here! We need to be heard!

John, aren't you being rough on a guy whom you must have had cause to turn to when he was chief US production engineer for FN?

BTW, I always look to see the dates of the posts when I open a thread. If it's very old, I check before I post to be sure I don't contradict something I already posted.
That's a good idea!

Funny thing about Lee24: I asked a few people in the gun business who should have known him, given his "resume." They couldn't imagine who it might be, even after I provided several examples of his claims. Some even laughed.
Originally Posted by LiamAntony
I had this boot 2 years ago but I didn't like them...

Thank you, robotic computer spamtronic, info man. What a perfect opportunity to help others in the forum. And you too!

Do you have a favourite shoe? It could be a comfortable, old pair of Adidas or Nikes. Oh, I know what you're thinking,

"Steve, I love quality, but cannot understand why my favourite court shoe isn't waterproof. If it was, I would own the perfect hunting foot container!"

Comfort is only one part of the foot thing. Clean, warm, comfortable toes inside a shoe that tracks over different types of terrain is just as important.

Like you, I was loathe to spend hundreds of dollars on a good quality bootie, so I took charge and created my own solution.

It started by slipping on plastic liners I took out of the garbage! This novel and inexpensive solution was an adaptation of an idea from my childhood. My mother used to do this when our boots wore out, but she needed to make them last a little longer.

[Linked Image]

The next part is where the quality and wear factors meet. Don't use just one pair of plastic liners, use two!

That's right, wrap the outside of your fave bootie or sneaker with more plastic! And just think,not only will your feets be drier and more comfortable, but you're helping the environment too. By keeping bags out of landfills, you are personally responsible for adding years to the life of the earth!

Stop spending huge amounts of money and time searching for the perfect feets enclosure, when the answer is right under your ̶n̶o̶s̶e̶ toes!

[Linked Image]

This is a picture of my feet during my hunt for ̶i̶l̶l̶e̶g̶a̶l̶ ̶a̶l̶i̶e̶n̶s̶ moose last fall.

In conclusion - Fashionable. Comfortable. Waterproof. Environmentally friendly. Cheap!

Win-win! (This win-win thing is not an endorsement for Winchester ammunition or firearms. A wonderful and accurate choice for people who love pre-assembled ammunition.)
Honestly, John, I generally don't even look at the dates on this stuff. Not the first time I've been sucked into the time vortex here. Hopefully, someone will be able to use some of the info generated by the trolling.
Originally Posted by carbon12
LL Bean Maine hunting boots on steroids = Schnees pac boot. Although claimed to be made in Montana, some of the rubber parts are not. Still, Schnees and Whites pac boots are 'none betta'

http://www.schnees.com/category/schnees-insulated-pac-boots?r=HOME2a

http://www.whitesboots.com/store/Whites_Pacs_boots.php

Schnees are tits!!!
Originally Posted by cra1948

BTW, I always look to see the dates of the posts when I open a thread. If it's very old, I check before I post to be sure I don't contradict something I already posted.

Yeah, I looked to see if I had previously responded, and I had. I like my answer, and note that I was more polite 8 years ago. smile
Have an older pair with steel shanks that are insulated. I don't hunt in them but like them for knocking about when it is cold and wet.

The reason I'm posting on an old thread is to comment on Cabela's brand footwear. It sucks. I bought a pair of their nicest hunting boots about ten years ago but never wore them. I forget how much insulation they had but it was a lot. Last January my son and a co-worker(from Cabela's, we worked there part time) went hog hunting. My son wears tennis shoes exclusively(Vans), but it was so cold and wet he decided he wanted to wear boots. I broke out the Cabela's boots that had never been worn and with an extra pair of socks he said they fit perfectly. When we set out walking to a stand two days later the sole literally came off one boot. I walked back to the truck, got some duct tape and taped the sole back on. When he walked back to the truck when we were done hunting the other sole came off.

Our boss at work just laughed when I told him the story. He'd been with the store for ten years and told me - Cabela's employees don't buy Cabela's brand footwear because the soles fall off. I checked with a couple of other long time employees and was told the same thing. Take it for what it's worth but I won't be purchasing any more store branded footwear from Cabela's.
Take it for what it's worth but I won't be purchasing any more store branded footwear from Cabela's.

Or anybody else. Got burned a time or two.

Bought a Bean knockoff from a major shoe company. The rubber cracked in a couple of months.
I bought a set of the Bean knock off boots from Cabelas for walking the dog and bootin' around town in the winter. i got about 8yrs from them with no issues at all. I'd buy another set it I knew they were made at the same place as the first as many times the suppliers do change on these kind of product lines.
I have a pair of the pull on style from Cabelas. Compared to my red balls they leave something to be desired. The red balls are about 20 years old and though the bottom lugs are a bit worn they are doing well. The cabelas are beginning to show signs of the rubber cracking from dry rot despite being wiped down with armor all occasionally. Despite this they still work fine and don't leak. Those are only about 15 years old . Seriously the cabelas have been good boots for the price I paid.
Have been wearing them for 40 years and for fall hunting here in the NE they are very good. Why buy a Chinese copy when you can get the original.
I'll add to m post above that my red balls hav long since been discontinued so I'll never be able to replace them . I do however have 3 pr of the beans 2 low cut and1 pr of 6" boots. I like them a lot and given the choice I would spend the extra to get the beans or maybe a pair of schnees if you want the cleated sole and plan on wearing the boots to hunt in. My pull ones I wear to the Mail box etc. These boots last a long time so you amortize the extra cost it really is peanuts.
Originally Posted by bangeye
I have a pair of the pull on style from Cabelas. Compared to my red balls they leave something to be desired. The red balls are about 20 years old and though the bottom lugs are a bit worn they are doing well. The cabelas are beginning to show signs of the rubber cracking from dry rot despite being wiped down with armor all occasionally. Despite this they still work fine and don't leak. Those are only about 15 years old . Seriously the cabelas have been good boots for the price I paid.

I have a pair of those Cabelas pull-ons as well. They are pretty much done now after a lot of yrs of use scooting around town in the winter and walking the dogs. I was happy with them but they are no longer available here in Canada.
I too got caught because m not a date checker. Maybe the answer if it bothers people so much to have old threads resurface is to add software to convert threads to read only after 30-60 days.
LL Bean, hunting boots are good as camp slippers, after the hunt and your lounging around camp...
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I bought my first pair of LL Bean boots in the early 70's and have had several pairs since. With merino wool socks and the sheepskin insoles they were good for fair weather flat terrain hunting. When conditions were slippery they were an invitation for a fall.

Yep...wear a pair of regular Bean Boots with a pair of wool socks daily in the winter and in the spring when I get the Canoe out but when I do any serious off road activity I put on the Danners.
A couple of weeks ago I purchased the Maine Pac Boot to replace a very old pair of Sorels that were my favorites. I chose these new boots over the Lacrosse Ice Kings because of the tread pattern. I don't like the chain tread when hunting hilly terrain. The Bean boots have an agressive tread on the Maine Pac model. Coincidentally, Bean took this model off the website the day after I bought them. I don't know why. Anyway, I like the boots even though they aren't as warm as the Lacrosse brand.
I can't think of a single thing Maine Hunting Shoes are good for. For starters the soles are terrible on wet hard surfaces.
I like Rocky. Never had much interest in the Maine shoe.
Best boots I've sued for hunting in the muddy (and flat) south. Down here, ANY kind of cleat will just cause wet clay to stick like dogshit.Also used the fleece lined version on a bison hunt where the terrain was relatively flat and they worked just fine. They do have their limitations when it comes to steep terrain as they offer little or no grip.
LL Bean boots are perfect for what their intended purpose - active hunting in wet conditions. I have worn them for over 40 years for dog walking and bird hunting. Yes, there are newer alternatives like Muck boots, and I have those, too. However, the advantage of LL Bean boots is that you are able to tighten up the top of the boot on your calves and water won't pour into the boot if you go into water over the top of your boots. I bird hunt in both my LL Bean boots (14" variety, no longer offered) and my 15" Much boots.

I have stepped into water over my boot tops, and wearing the Bean boots meant that I was able to keep hunting. I didn't get a "soaker", and have to quit hunting.

Regarding the original question - are the Cabela's knock-offs any good - that has been answered above. LL Bean has rebuilt many pairs of Bean boots for me over the years. They stand behind their products.
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
LL Bean boots are perfect for what their intended purpose - active hunting in wet conditions. I have worn them for over 40 years for dog walking and bird hunting. Yes, there are newer alternatives like Muck boots, and I have those, too. However, the advantage of LL Bean boots is that you are able to tighten up the top of the boot on your calves and water won't pour into the boot if you go into water over the top of your boots. I bird hunt in both my LL Bean boots (14" variety, no longer offered) and my 15" Much boots.

I have stepped into water over my boot tops, and wearing the Bean boots meant that I was able to keep hunting. I didn't get a "soaker", and have to quit hunting.

Regarding the original question - are the Cabela's knock-offs any good - that has been answered above. LL Bean has rebuilt many pairs of Bean boots for me over the years. They stand behind their products.

Worth repeating and I'll add they are my bird hunting boot of choice down here in Georgia.
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
I bird hunt in both my LL Bean boots (14" variety, no longer offered) ...

You can still get the 16 inch. I use them pretty religiously when I'm not going to be sloshing through standing water (then I use Lacrosse rubber boots) because they are not only comfortable but also perfect for warding off briers.

You just have to get up 30 minutes early so you'll have time to lace them. smile

RM
Originally Posted by RevMike

You just have to get up 30 minutes early so you'll have time to lace them. smile

RM

Or order the speed lacers... smile
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by RevMike

RM

Or order the speed lacers... smile

What?? Now you tell me!! blush
I've got a pair with Vibram soles and Thinsulate inner booty. I got them in 1995 for late season deer hunting. I finally gave them to #3 son about 3 years ago. With the Vibram sole on them, they're quite handy. However, I had a close friend that wore the standard boot with the chain tread, and he was forever falling on is butt. There were waay to many close calls with him and loaded shotguns.

You can't beat them for durability. The only thing that's worn on mine are the laces. However, I had to stop wearing them. There was too much flex in the sole and it exacerbated my Muldar's Neuroma. Even with the Thinsulate, I would not give them high marks for warmth.
Yes, the chain tread soles on Bean boots aren't the best for grip. However, they don't bring half the swamp back into your vehicle with you! If it gets seriously cold and slippery, I either add something like Trax to my boots, or wear tougher boots., Sometimes we hunt in snowshoes if the snow can be negotiated by the dog.

I buy my Bean boots big enough to wear with a liner sock plus a fairly heavy wool sock. This way sweat wicks away from my foot and I don't get blisters. Bean offers their boots in wide width, which I need as I wear a 12EEEE shoe.

They work for me here in the wet and forested northeast, but I would never wear a pair on a hunt out west.
They are good for flatland stalking and Bow hunting as the soft soles are quiet and allow some feel as you sneak along.

Go up a muddy creek bank or anything steep and count on a spill almost every trip.

I wish they had a 14-16" version with a plain boot bottom and vibram soles as they are a quality boot.
Very sporting on wet logs traction wise.
© 24hourcampfire