Home
Posted By: rusty51 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 10/20/09
Has anyone here ever hunted with the 6.5X54 MS and what do you think of it.Thanks
Posted By: rifle Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 10/20/09
I have a 1950 carbine now and had a 1903 TD a few years ago.Neat little packages. I have only taken a couple W/tail with it,and it did a god job.One of my Buds just returned from his first Safari where he used his on several of the plains game.We use Hornady 160 RN and Norma brass.
I'd love to have one, but the price is just too dear.
Seems to me that Steely has one and has hunted it.

Dober
Posted By: Gene L Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 10/21/09
I believe it's what ended the short, happy life of Francis McComber.
Steely has hunted it but he has only killed one wuff with it.
Oh and yes, that is what brought an end to The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 10/21/09
And dat's a sweet lookin'rifle, if its the one I'm thinkin of...
Ingwe
It is
Posted By: rusty51 Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 10/21/09
I have a 1910 Norwiegen Krag chambered in 6.5X54 MS I love shooting it.But I don't know much about it's capability's.
I could give you the old 'Bell killed elephants with one' but that said I can't imagine it not killing any deer/caribou/moose etc.

The Krag is obviously a rechamber?
Yep and IIRC Bell said if you could have gotten reliable ammo for use in the tropics( pressures went too high in the heat...) that the .256 would have become his favorite ever elephant rifle....the "long paralell- sided"bullets penetrated on a straight line....Solids, of course..
Ingwe
[Linked Image]
Sweeeeet!

Dat's the one!

And Those are the boolits!

grin
Ingwe
Those damn bullets are mile long.
Yeah, but for what Bell was doing, and the ranges he was doing it at, you gotta know, those are perfect...
Ingwe
Posted By: 65X54 Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 10/21/09
There have been a few shot here with a 1903. Usually a carbine but somtimes the td rifle version. Kind of a tradition that's been going for a number of years to take the first deer of the season with one or the other.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 10/21/09
I had a 6.5x54 MS in full stock carbine with factory mounts and a Zeiss 4x scope. It was a lovely rifle. I wasn't planning to buy it, but this old gentleman was selling off it, an MCA full stock in .30-06 with Swarovski, and Model M Luxus rifle, the 6.5x54 first, and I was afraid it might fall into the wrong hands.

I sold it to a friend for his vintage hunt in Africa, as he had been looking for one for 30 years. It is kind of like a .250 Savage with heavy bullets - all you need for 90% of deer hunting.
Posted By: Royce Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 10/21/09
"Oozes elegance" is the phrase that comes to mind...
A few of them that I have enjoyed hunting with....

[Linked Image]
This one slated for use this season. Built the same year that I was, 1952 in 30-06. It has held it's condition much better than I have....

[Linked Image]
I had a chance to buy a Swiss cheese 1903 in 6.5x54 (IIRC) for $400 a few years ago. It needed a lot of work to restore it to it's former glory, but for that price, it would have been worth it. Back then I didn't often have $400 to spend on something so frivolous as an old gun in need of repair. Just not practical.

-
Two rifles that have owned my heart for years are the Brno Models 21 and 22 and those lovely little 1903 Manlicher Shonaurs.

I have owned a couple of 1903s and hunted with them some, and I cannot think of a sweeter rifle..Alas I have always sold them as the value continues to climb and I couldn't turn down the profit, same with the Brnos, but I still have a couple of Brnos.

Anytime I run across a 1903 thats price right I will grab it right there and then..

As to its fabled killing power, that came from a long 160 gr. cup and core bullet that penetrated like the dickens and if a bullet gets inside where its supposed to be, then it kills and it did that big time.

It was so good that it got some folks killed because they pushed beyond its capabilities on big nasty animals such as Lion..Today I would shoot premium bullets in the 120 to 140 wt. It is still a dandy deer, antelope rifle and if used properly a decent enough elk rifle.
I had one of those old MS 6.5-54's and if it had good scope on it with a mount that I could stand to look at I would have kept it.

Later I got a MS in .358W and its thicker over the magazine than a Brno22F. Its well made and all but the Brno 21's and 22's please me more.

[Linked Image]

At its balance point the MS full stock carbine above is a full two inches wide. A Brno 22F is only 1 5/8" wide at the same balance point. Thats a huge difference and it favors the much handier feeling 22F.

Posted By: rifle Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 10/21/09
Like this pile...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rifle Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 10/21/09
Those are killers...that 3rd one down is outstanding..
Where do I address the check,so you don't have to keep them on the floor...
rifle,

Your on top of the game. I am still looking and you made an offer already. No wonder you have got them all!
Posted By: 65X54 Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 10/22/09
Rifle, that's not the floor, that's my wifes side of the bed much to her dismay.
If I sold that rifle what would I do on 9X56 day?? If you insist though, just leave that part that says amount blank,
I'll be glad to take care of that part for ya.....

Thanks guys, I do enjoy them but they are getting really hard to find without signing over the first born.
BTW Rifle, It looks to me like you are about out of wall space. There are three of four on the front end there that look like they could use a new home????
Posted By: rifle Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 10/22/09
Yes,I'm looking at a new safe now...
So,if your wife needs a place to sleep,I'll extend my offer to take all the rifles and you'll have plenty of room and my new safe will be full.... for balance!!
Do you have all the calibers? Help me in my plea to Hornady to make ammo...call them ,email them....
Those rifles were much warmer than the wife while she was observing the location of them that day.
Not all of the calibers, missing the 9.3x57. I have seen a few but not in the condition that I would like. One of these days when I least expect it maybe.
Have you had any encouragement at all from Hornady? Maybe the 6.5X54 if we were real lucky.
Posted By: rifle Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 10/22/09
I agree on the 9.5,they are hard to find in condition that will warrant the prices.Are you a member of MCA?
All Hornady said they would look into,when I related the fact of them making other 'odd'rounds,they look at the number of firearms made and how many are still around? 6.5 JAP,.455 Webley
I think it would be a good market and cause a few more Mannlichers to come out of the closet....that didn't sound just right,but anyway,that's my thoughts...
Posted By: 65X54 Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 10/23/09
You are correct, I should have said 9.5 instead of 9.3 Not the brightest bulb in the morning I guess. No, not a member of the MCA. I have heard of it but have never joined.

In answer to the original poster that we have hijacked terribly, you bettcha I hunt with mine. They are all a joy but the 1903 (6.5X54 m/s) is probably the most fun. I have seen a lot of deer go down very hard when hit with one of these things. Looking at the ammo or reading the ballistics one might not think so but there is somthing really right in the mix.
I really like your 1952 model. Prolly my favorite. The blued swept back bolt handle and small cheek piece does it for me. I never liked the 1956 model because of the concave over size cheekpiece, but it has grown on me because of it's uniqueness.

Please post any favorite loads for the 6.5x54MS.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 10/23/09
The 1950 and 1952 Mannlichers are especially stylish and functional. I like the slim buttstock and grip.
Posted By: 65X54 Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 10/23/09
Sako, thanks for the compliment on the 1952. Not sure why I havn't used it for hunting yet as it does shoot fine, maybe this year.
Loads for the 6.5X54, I have two of them that I like. One is with 30 grs of IMR 4064 below a 160 Sierra SMP, fed 210 primer loaded to an OAL of 3.080 The other and probably easier is the 160 Hornady RN seated to the cannalure over 39 grs of Rel 22 with the fed 210 primer. All the usual rules apply, start low etc.
Not sure if you are aware of possbile headspace problems but all of mine have a little extra head space. I believe that this was supplied from the factory. To avoid courting possible head seperations it's a good idea to start with fresh brass and put a false shoulder on it with a crush fit. Or lube the cases and fire form with a bit of pistol powder and some wadding.
I have an MCA in 6.5 that I have yet to load for despite having all the components on hand, including the Hornadys. I think I bought 4350 to try. A number of years ago I managed to get a number of boxes of Norma factory ammo with 139 grain bullets. I have fired brass from the rounds that I shot from those loads. I still have some boxes left, but always heard that the 160 grain bullets were the wy to go.
Posted By: 65X54 Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 10/24/09
You are off to a real good start. The MCA probably has a .264 groove and the headspacing was probably set up correctly. For the sake of having a 6.5X54 I would really like to have one of the later ones.

Get out there and shoot somthing!!
I also have a .358 Win and a .30-06. All MCA's, but love the 1952!
Posted By: Lee24 Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 10/24/09
Try the 120, 129, or 140 grain bullets. I would start with a 129 Sierra or Hornady. IMR 4064 or 3031 is a better powder for that small case. That will put you in the 2,400 fps range, which is like a reduced hunting load for the 7mm-08, flat shooting enough for deer at 200 yards.
Posted By: efw Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 10/24/09
Originally Posted by Steelhead
[Linked Image]

SCHA-WING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: ACCMAN Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 11/10/09
I'm new to this site, but own a mannlicher. Bought it new in 1968 and it's he only rifle I've ever hunted with. Talk about hard finding ammunition. Went through 4 boxes through 1978, and got lucky and found a local gunshop in Armonk, NY that had 4 boxes of the Norma 156 grain. Bought em all and that's what I've hunted with since. I use roughly 3 bullets a year. Sights in really good and 1 shot does the trick. Had quite a few years of no bucks, but it's okay just to take the bullets for a walk. I was running low, 5 left, and found some at Buffalo arms and just ordered 2 boxes of 160. They should be here in two days and I can sight in on Saturday. It's great seeing all the great photos of your mannlichers, mint condition, which mine is anything but mint, but it's the only gun I'll ever use. Thanks for all the info. God bless.
ACCMAN, welcome to the fire. Hey, isn't there a nice outdoor range up in Armonk? I used to live in Westchester County years ago.

You really should be reloading your own ammunition. Components are available, and you won't have to worry about running out. Just think about all the shooting you can do.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 11/10/09
Just get an inexpensive press and dies, a Lee case trimmer, and try some 129-gr and 140-gr bullets. The MS 6.4x54 I used to own shot them well.
Great advice, and I've saved most of my Norma casings, bout 4 boxes, but I'm leery of messing with reloading cause I'm not familiar enough with it. Sort of like packing your own parachute, yeah you can use it, but are you gonna trust it. If these bullets from Buffalo Arms don't work out, then maybe I'll try it. My son bought a Browning .270 A bolt 5 years ago as his first gun and he's been trying to get me to spring for a new gun. I tell him I'm too old school, shot every deer with her, she's lightweight, accurate, and I wouldn't be comfortable without it. And besides, I'm paying tuitions for 6 kids and can't justify a luxury of a new gun. I'm from Yonkers and to tell you the truth I see more deer on the Sprain Parkway right in Yonkers than I do hunting in Orange & Sullivan counties. Can't hunt em and they know it. I belong to a hunting club in Port Jervis,NY rifle only,and bowhunt Orange & Sullivan counties. I only went to Armonk cause someone told me the Gunshop there was excellent and they were right.

I bought my first centerfire rifle from Agromontes in Yonkers about 1974. lived off of Mclean Ave., near Tibbets Brook Park. Left NY around 1978.
Bought my mannlicher at Parker Bros. I believe it was somewhere in Mt. Vernon. Took all the money I had, $165 at the time. I wish I could have bought 5 of em. I just remember all of the guns they had, I looked at all different kinds, didn't know what I was looking at, my Uncle showed up, went right over to the Mannlichers and said, "Here, buy this, you'll never go wrong". They put an over under mount on it, with a 2.5 power scope, and I was set.
Since then, I had to put a 3 x 9 power scope on her, but all the scopes rear eyepieces are so large, you can't put the safe on without hitting the scope. I don't load up till I'm in my stand anyway, and the safe is on just enough to not let the rifle fire, but I'd like to find a scope that is thin enough or long enough to allow the safe to fully close. I'll keep looking and if anybody else has the same problem, let me know.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 11/10/09
ACCMAN, you can find some local who knows a lot about reloading at some local gun store or shooting range. Make a new friend.

You and your son would enjoy reloading together.

Hey, go modern on him. Buy another Mannlicher in .270.
Tell him, "Look at my new 1952 Mannlicher." LOL!

Or go all the way, and get a Steyr SBS synthetic in .270 Win.

I had a 4X Zeiss on my 6.5x54 carbine. No problem with bolt or safety clearance. The bolt barely clears the mount on my 1950 .30-06, but the Burris Fullfield II is great on it.
Originally Posted by ACCMAN
Bought my mannlicher at Parker Bros. I believe it was somewhere in Mt. Vernon. Took all the money I had, $165 at the time. I wish I could have bought 5 of em. I just remember all of the guns they had, I looked at all different kinds, didn't know what I was looking at, my Uncle showed up, went right over to the Mannlichers and said, "Here, buy this, you'll never go wrong". They put an over under mount on it, with a 2.5 power scope, and I was set.
Since then, I had to put a 3 x 9 power scope on her, but all the scopes rear eyepieces are so large, you can't put the safe on without hitting the scope. I don't load up till I'm in my stand anyway, and the safe is on just enough to not let the rifle fire, but I'd like to find a scope that is thin enough or long enough to allow the safe to fully close. I'll keep looking and if anybody else has the same problem, let me know.

Yep been to Parker Brothers too.

I am wondering what model MS you have? If it is an MCA, you would have a tang safety in addition to the bolt/wing safety.
No other safety, but I'll have to check the model tonight. My son is an avid hunter now, got me into bowhunting, turkey hunting, and now he's trying to get me to muzzle, but I hunt enough weekends from Oct thru Dec to make me happy. Don't need an extra season, and I usually have a lot to do before the holidays. I gave up last weekend to the dreaded "Honeydoos". Nice weekend, had to do the leaves, paint the fence, yada,yada,yada. But, if it gets me in the good graces of the misses, then I'm a happy man for the next five weekends.

If I tell my son about doing the reloading ourselves, I'm sure he'll start lookin up everything and figuring it out. Once he gets an idea in his head, he's gone.
Posted By: iambrb Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 11/10/09
those are gorgeous rifles!

I have 3 but my 6.5 is in dire need of work, and the other 2 are both '52's in 30-06
Originally Posted by ACCMAN
No other safety, but I'll have to check the model tonight. My son is an avid hunter now, got me into bowhunting, turkey hunting, and now he's trying to get me to muzzle, but I hunt enough weekends from Oct thru Dec to make me happy. Don't need an extra season, and I usually have a lot to do before the holidays. I gave up last weekend to the dreaded "Honeydoos". Nice weekend, had to do the leaves, paint the fence, yada,yada,yada. But, if it gets me in the good graces of the misses, then I'm a happy man for the next five weekends.

If I tell my son about doing the reloading ourselves, I'm sure he'll start lookin up everything and figuring it out. Once he gets an idea in his head, he's gone.

Post a pic, we will tell you what model it is. Dunno what kind of mounts you have, but the front mount may be covering the model.
Posted By: rifle Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 11/10/09
Does the bolt handle go straight down or is it sweep back?

I'm betting,if you only have the bolt safety,you have a 1903
1903 - bolt safety only
1950 - straight handle, safety on side
1952 - swept handle, safety on side
1956 - as above, with hi stock comb
1961 - tang safety

that correct?
Yes,there is also the 1924 model and the GK's...
I was thinking postwar only.

What is a GK?
Mostly European models and available with nice engraving. Later issue,( 1956?)some are magnums?
The GK model is actually the same model as the 1952 model. It became available after the 1952 model was discontinued in 1956. It was available by special order, and designated 1952-GK.

Oh yeah, the 1924 model is also called the sequoia model. A gun club in california? Made them up just for them. Sequoia gun club, I believe. Sporter model only.

Posted By: iambrb Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 11/11/09
Here is my 6.5x54. It is not as fancy as the other guns I have seen here, that is fer-sher, the barrel is shot and will be replaced by a Montana Rifle (that deal I found on here � THANKS!) the finish is all but gone, and the trigger is mushy�.but I paid less than the cost of a Marlin MR-7 for it!!!!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Once I get rid of the white-line spacers and do a little work, she should make for a fine hunting rifle! Note that there is actually some pretty decent grain in that buttstock!
I expect to have it in the hunting fields in late 2010 or 2011 latest. Already have ammo, bras and dies!
Posted By: ACCMAN Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 11/11/09
My model is a 1903. Mount is a sliding high side mount. 2 levers, turn down, and she slides off. Can still see the iron sights. For some reason, I was off the last time I was sighting in. I bring 3 rounds with me when I sight in. Sometimes only takes one. Last time, I was off 6 inches at 5:00, adjusted the sight where it says "Up, turn left", so I turned left 8 clicks and side-to-side 8 clicks, but pulled the shot. I knew I should have been 3"@10:00, but shot 3" at 8. Damn, one more bullet. Adjusted one more time, 5 clicks "up". Fire, should be a perfect shot. Go, up and check the paper, I'm 8" at 5:00. I must have been clickin left when I should have been clicken right. OhwhatanassIam!!!! Now, I'm down to an inventory of 5 bullets in my box at the car. But no sense starting to use the last bullets I have to start sighting in a gun 8" off. Besides, I'm shooting a 156 gr and I'm buying 160. Don't know if the two would be comparable anyway. My son's joking telling me "Look around the house, You've probably got 1/2 a box in your closet, drawers, workroom, just look around!!!". Always loved that kid.
Unfortunately, got a call from Buffalo Arms and of course the two boxes of bullets are backordered to arrive sometime late next week. Gives me no time to sight in. Might have to see if the Peekskill range is open. I hoped next week to bowhunt Friday and head to the Gun club in the afternoon. We can't use the gun range up there the week before opening of rifle season. I guess I can compensate for the windage, but that's not real hunting, not that I haven't done that.
Sounds like a Griffin & Howe mount. You really have to reload for that old girl. You already have fire formed brass..........

Yep, that's the range I used to go to, up in Peekskill
Posted By: ACCMAN Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 11/11/09
Yeah, I'll probably start reading up on it, see what I need, but it'll have to be for next year. Kinda strapped for this year with the holidays coming up and all. Kids first.
Posted By: iambrb Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 11/11/09
ACCUMAN, also try Graf & sons, and look on GB - I have found ammo on there at very reasonable (and unreasonable) prices
Posted By: stocker Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 11/11/09
iambrb: The 1950 model came in a couple of variations. Mine is an early 3 digit serial number rifle marked 1950 model, 270 Win.. It is basically the same as a 1924 (Express??? model). Cocking piece safety only, straight bolt handle. Seems they used some remaining inventory to start that model before switching to the "improved" version.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 11/11/09
I had one, It was a class rifle, but there was a bit of head space and the bore was a little over sized for 264 inch bullets. Brass was hard to get, Norma makes it from time to time. Shooting one is a handloader's proposition, or you could have Superior out in Stugis make up some loads for you. A while ago I saw a couple of new Steyer Mannlichers so chambered. A limited run I guess. While they are great guns, they pretty much been out of production since the Germans took over Austria. After the War, they changed like a lot of things. I know a Smith that thought about recreating them, even with CNC they fig they would have to get around 5K per gun. They were well crafted rifles, they made just three a day. A 6.5 x 55 would make a lot more sense, since, cases and loaded ammo is easier to come by. Finding a good one takes a lot of looking around, and you will pay for it, Take an UNLA M 24 action and you could do up a slick Mannlicher Pattern rifle that would shoot lights out and be a joy to carry for not much more that what you would pay for one of the 1903's these days. Lon Paul would be who I would go to. You can talk to New England Custom Guns. In NH they can fit a side safety for you, that works and it keeps the value of the rifle. The do excellent work.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 11/11/09
stocker,
My Model 1950 has the side safety, but is marked ".30-06 Spfld Express". It has 2-leaf rear sight, hooded front with a barrel band, ebony forend tip. Shoots cloverleafs with everything.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 11/11/09
gmsemel,

You can find a new Steyr SBS Classic with wood stock in 6.5x55mm for around $1600 if you look.
Posted By: RJH Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 11/11/09

Check out eschoder.com

Eric Schoder from Austria, who was a employee at the old M-S plant is making the original Model 1903 but for a heafty price tag, also shows a complete parts list, if needed.

You boys from Westchester must remember "Parker" in New Rochelle.
Great little German gunsmith there, didn't say much but listened a lot and did great work. Was told he used to work for G&H in NYC.
I'm going back late 60's early 70's.

Great Thread, Thanks.
Bob
Posted By: iambrb Re: 6.5X54 mannlicher schonaur - 11/12/09
I have a set of doubleset triggers (rear is borken @ blade, but base is there) with kick-off sear for sale @ GB, I may run them here. Hope I didn't tick off a moderator with that. I only say it 'cause I know that Schoder guy has the trigger for like $80 USD, and the whole set less the sear for like $500+
© 24hourcampfire