Home
Why do they use a 1 in 11 twist for .308 compared to most other companies using 1 in 10?
A competition shooter told me one time that this twist rate is more accurate than the 1-10. Don't know from personal experience.
Just speculating here, but there is a school of thought that holds that the minimum effective twist is to be preferred. I would further guess that few who use a .308 go bigger than a 180 grain bullet with most using 150's and 165's. Again, just guessing.
some use 1-12, I have one, may not be the best for 200 grain bullets for sure, but I am sure someone will post here that they shoot just fine with a 200 grain if your running them at 300,000 fps....
After speaking to Mike Rock of Rock Creek barrels he has a Docturate in Metallurgy and builds almost all 30 cal.barrels for the Military,he has proven the 11.25 twist for 30 cal is the BEST TWIST FOR THIS CALIBER UP TO 200 GR. bullets.I'm dand sure not going to argue with him.
1:12 in my .308W shoots lights out with 165nbt and 168 ttsx. What the smith recommended.
There is nothing more tested than a 308, 1/11 is quite a good twist for it. 1/10 is only needed for some of the very long match bullets. How many shoot them in sporting rifle?? Most of those guys will opt for a new barrel to get the accuracy they need to take advantage of the 210 grain VLDs...
Industry standard twist the the cartridge here is one turn in 12" (the older .30 cals get the 10: twist). I shoot 180 gr bullets in my .308s, and they do remarkably well.

200 gr. factory loads for .308 win are pretty scarce. wink

jim
i 1 in 11 is the "sniper" standard.

I chose in in 10 for mine. It shoots great.

BMT
I forgot to mention that the Tikka barrels come from the Sako production line...jim
Yes, and they work very well, attached to a Tikka with a 1 in 11" twist barrel.

[Linked Image]

The rifle will do this all day with certain powders and bullet combinations. This five shot group was formed using a Tikka Varmint Stainless, straight out of the box.

I have shot Bergers, Sierra and Hornady match bullets from this rifle using twelve or thirteen powders. Using a Harris bipod from a bench, this rifle will shoot .4s all day. Not bad for a $900, unmodified rifle.

These aren't "one time only" groups. They do this all day long. The pix are from 100 yds, but 200 and 300 yd groups stay tight as well.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire