Home
Posted By: 2ndwind Ruger's "Ask The CEO" program - 01/29/10
What a good idea... I just posted my #1 Ruger wish list item... a 5 shot Blackhawk in .480 Ruger... If anyone else likes that idea please tell him so...

What is on your wish Ruger would build it list?

http://ruger.com/resources/tellTheCEO.html
I asked for a bigger safety on the hawkeyes, lw rings as an accessory and for a LW fiberglass stock for the hawkeyes
i too asked for a larger safety and i asked that they make a single shot mag for the M77/22 that will make it easier on us that use them in the BSA for the rifleman merit badge. BSA rules say single shot only but you can use a detachable mag rifle as long as you load and shoot it one shot at a time. a mag with a built in single shot follower would be nice to assure proper feeding.
I asked last week for the 5 shot .480 BH.
Axed for:
1) 3 position tang safety on 77's or larger wing safety with checkered round top and shorter throw between positons 1 & 2
2) adjustable trigger (AccuTrigger type)because Ruger triggers suck out loud & in public
3) 77/44 in .454, .480, 500 S&W
4) 77's in 6.5,7x57,9.3x62. Should have added 8x57
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Good man... smile I think they would sell like hotcakes... The Super Red Hawks are just too big a gun to have along unless it is your primary hunting gun... a BH is compact enough to have along when just out walking around in the woods...
I went with a real Oliver Twist message! Edited version below:

Mr. Fifer;

First, it's great a CEO is soliciting direct input from end-users.

Do a run of beautiful No. 1 RSIs in Target Grey and stabilized Circassian Walnut, with bedded forearms and crisp triggers. Offer them in calibers popular with rifle cognoscenti: .223 Ackley Improved, .260 Remington, .280 Remington, .358 Winchester, .35 Whelen, 9.3x62 and the grand old .45/70; plus the longtime RSI calibers: '06, .270, 7x57 and .243.

America needs a high quality combo gun. I believe you folks should put together over-under combos on the 20 and 12 ga. Red Label frames. Again, I'd dig a combo of pretty walnut and Target Grey.

Over the 20s, put .22 Hornet, .204 Ruger, .223, .327 Federal, .30/30, .357 and .44 Magnums and .480 Ruger. Target weight 5.5-6 lbs. Call them Woodsloafers.

Over the 12s, put .308, .30-'06, .270, .35 Whelen, your RCM calibers as well as .444 Marlin and .45/70. Target weight 6.5-8 lbs. Call them Sourdoughs.

Perhaps even consider OU rifles on the Red Labels.

More and more states are allowing "any centerfire rifle" for deer and lots of us are putting our children (and selves) in .22 centerfires shooting heavy or monometal bullets. I think Ruger would be well-advised to put up a, you guessed it, Target Grey and nice walnut 77 Hawkeye Ultralights in .223 and .22/250 with a 1/9 twist using the Compact stock; the 20-in. barrel is just less blasty in the field.

Please offer polished blue again on rifles.
M77 Hawkeye Standards in 6.5x55, 7x57, 280 Remington
i am completely on board with a 5-shot 480 blackhawk...
Ditto!
America needs a high quality combo gun. I believe you folks should put together over-under combos on the 20 and 12 ga. Red Label frames.

Oh my, I'd buy a 28ga/______(any short action, .223, 250 Savage, etc).

Great idea.
i asked him to make an alaskan hawkeye run for leftie and they make 100 in Black laminated stock stainless ... never get an answer but they make one run at least.
Make the #1 AH a permanent fixture in the #1 line-up
Bring back the #1 in 22 Hornet. Or, in the alternative, make just one for me grin
I asked for a Hawkeye in 7x57mm. It felt like writing a letter to Santa Claus that you know is going to be filed under "G".
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

Amen to that!!!
I asked for a blind box magazine option.
the semi auto 44 mag carbine's return would be nice
Originally Posted by Huntz

Amen to that!!!
+2 on that one!! Here's my list:
1. Like we've all said many times "BIGGER WING SAFETY".
2. I'd love to see more calibers in left hand version. Sorry to say it, but I've started to go back to right handed rifles because of ruger not wanting to make theirs in 338 win mag (NO, I didn't say 338 RCM).
3. Your LC6 triggers arn't much better than the MKII's, but we are getting charged more like they are fully adjustable or something. I had to take mine out and do the remove material ceremony on the sear the other day. Yes it was a hawkeye LC6 trigger.
4. Don't bother refining anything else because we just take it in the shorts when you do that. In todays economy we would be much better off if you just brought back the MKII at a reasonable price.
if i buy you a 338-06 chamber reamer will you use it?
Woods Loafer: UNDER 7 lbs!
I'll take 2 please. :-)
T
Can't believe nobody has requested the return of the "boat paddle" stock.--Grin
Ruger #1 in .303 British. smile
I asked for a 20-22" barrel on the M77 in 7.62 x 39, a 2/3 scale #1, available in cartridges up to .30-06, and better wood on the #1's, even if it costs more.
Nice idea. I asked for the Ruger Ultralight chambered in 7mm-08. I agree with the few comments on the blUed Mark II like they used to make.

Dale
Dang!!!! I should have posted this in the handguns section... the requests for 5 shot .480 Blackhawks is being seriously diluted herewink
Bring back da blued ones.

7X57 M77 would be nice also.
How's about the new Evil Black Gun in .308?
Sweet, everyone wants something different, pretty much what THEY knew but it makes people fell good.

I'll be sending at least 3 a day to NOT go back to polished blue.
You are behind the power curve then, cause I have asked 50 times for the return of polished blue!
..and I have already had coffee with the CEO to discuss future plans and models smile
Originally Posted by TomM1
..and I have already had coffee with the CEO to discuss future plans and models smile

Did you include lee24? As he will be designing the new models and tooling
Hey steelhead, I bought a hawkeye about 1 month ago and the matte finish is scratched and coming off in a few places and I am very easy on my guns. I've used my 300 win mag MKII for deer seasons and elk for the past 5 years and there is no wear on the polished bluing. The old ruger bluing was one of the best on the market. Now it has gone to schit if you ask me.
You are behind the power curve then, cause I have asked 50 times for the return of polished blue!
+50 on the polished bluing.
Originally Posted by 257Deland

+1! I bet they could replace the #1B with the 1AH and double their No. 1 sales.

John
Posted By: Teal Re: Ruger's "Ask The CEO" program - 02/02/10
Phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range.
Originally Posted by teal
Phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range.

...but it has to have deep bluing. wink

They made medium frame Blackhawks in .44 Special with handy barrel lengths, they have announced this model in stainless steel and now they've announced Bisley versions of the first two.

They made a left handed, short action, CRF rifle in 7mm-08, .223, .204, .22-250 and a couple of other calibers.

About all I could ask him is "please keep up the good work!"
Posted By: Teal Re: Ruger's "Ask The CEO" program - 02/02/10
Actually I would love a blue/wood Ruger M77 with CRF and the tang safety. Nothing so easy as hitting the safety with your thumb as you shoulder.
Originally Posted by Gatehouse
Ruger #1 in .303 British. smile

Whatever happened to that.Heard all the hype but see no guns.
Team up with Hornady to provide 9.3x64mm Brenneke rifles and ammuniton. High gloss blue 24" 77 in the style of the discontinued Ruger express version.
Posted By: prm Re: Ruger's "Ask The CEO" program - 02/02/10
I'd settle for some quality control on the Hawkeyes. Mine's been at Ruger almost three weeks now getting fixed. I hope to have a rifle that will chamber a round without gouging the brass, have the ability to load rounds individually and even have the lugs engage remotely evenly.
Why no 7mm or 30 cal off that 375 case.
Howabout just listen to what your buyers want!!!

How many times have we see a manufacturer try to push what THEY feel we need rather than what we think we need/want!!!

This is what I wrote...........

I feel that not enough emphasis is given to what us hunters/shooters actually want. You guys need to get into the hunting/gun websites, like 24hourcampfire.com, let them know you are there and really listen to us and make the changes just not promise!

Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by 257Deland

+1! I bet they could replace the #1B with the 1AH and double their No. 1 sales.

John

Sales would definitely increase if they produced the AH #1. I'd take more than one if the caliber selection was good. I'd also like to see the bluing return.
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs

How many times have we see a manufacturer try to push what THEY feel we need rather than what we think we need/want!!!

Sounds like Washington might own Ruger too!!!
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs

This is what I wrote...........

I feel that not enough emphasis is given to what us hunters/shooters actually want. You guys need to get into the hunting/gun websites, like 24hourcampfire.com, let them know you are there and really listen to us and make the changes just not promise!

I agree bro, I wonder if they could reblue my hawkeye that's already scratched after 1 month of being in the gun cabinet!!!
I sent him the request to bring back the 480 in ANY platform.

It is crazy to believe they will support their other rounds with the support this excellent round received.
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

I like that idea!

I asked for a #1 in some of the NE cartridges like .470 or .500.

Also I put a bug in their ear about a custom shop where a person could order the features they want.
Change the MKIII back to the MKII.
I asked for a re-intro of the 44 mag semi-auto carbine with a better action and with a twist for the cast Lee 310 gr FP.
Posted By: spr1 Re: Ruger's "Ask The CEO" program - 02/05/10
one of those that simply worked would be interesting....
Posted By: BMT Re: Ruger's "Ask The CEO" program - 02/06/10
Originally Posted by ruger375
i asked him to make an alaskan hawkeye run for leftie and they make 100 in Black laminated stock stainless ... never get an answer but they make one run at least.

I did the same thing in August 2009. It was shipped to my FFL right away (Oh, I think we have one laying about somewhere .. . )

It never hurts to be lucky. laugh

BMT
I like Ruger's existing products just fine and would own more if their quality control was better.
The problem is like asking who would buy XXX if we made it. Gun makers have been doing that for decades and every once in a while they do it...then it doesn't sell worth a damn. Then 10 years later people start asking why did YYY stop making XXX - and the answer is because it didn't sell.

What people say they will buy or sounds like a good idea doesn't always line up with what people will actually pay money for.

A lot of stuff mentions sounds "cool" to me but I wouldn't probably pay for that gun/caliber.

Let's not forget gun nuts/rifle loonies only account for a small portion of sales for a company like Ruger.
Polished blue Hawkeye in 7x57 would be a good place to start.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Polished blue Hawkeye in 7x57 would be a good place to start.

Especially in left hand! wink
Mini-14 in .243 and maybe a few more improvements.
Walnut on the mini-14.
44 caliber Deerfield or similar brought back.
All I asked for was a set of offset 30mm rings for my 1-S so I can mount my Swaro 1.25-4X without using Ruger to Weaver adapters and a set of Weaver offset rings. Got'er done but it looks kinda "Rubed" frown. How would you feel about a 77/44 in 221 Rem Fireball? Anybody? Is that cricketts I hear? Mike
I asked them to make the .44 Special Flat Top a regular catalog item, and to consider a bisley version of that same gun.
I think that if Ruger took its RSI line trim it just a little and upgraded its wood, smoothed its action like the DSR Safari Express Rifles and then gave it a butter knife / or Oberndorf bolt with a set trigger and chambered that sucker in 6.5X55, 7X57 and or their 300 and 338 RCM then you have a gun in the $1500 dollar range that sell like medical marijuana at an Obama fundraiser.

Sincerely,

Thomas
Posted By: CRS Re: Ruger's "Ask The CEO" program - 03/07/10
I like the 338-06, 9.3x64 Brenneke, & over/under combo idea.

The 338-06 would compete with their 338 RCM, which is the same thing.

The Brenneke will never happen IMO. 375 Ruger competition.

I would buy and O/U in 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge/ any rifle cartridge based on 308/x57 length cartridges from 22-358 cal. I would lean towards a 22-250, 257 Roberts, or 7mm-08 myself.
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by ruger375

I did the same thing in August 2009. It was shipped to my FFL right away (Oh, I think we have one laying about somewhere .. . )

It never hurts to be lucky. laugh

BMT

BMT no needs for a FLL here in Canada but Clay made it possible to me so im very happy ... as some others lefties ...
I like special runs of non-standard calibers. While calibers like the .264 Win, .35 Whelen, .338-06, .280 AI, etc., might not sell well enough to offer year after year, there are enough rifle looneys out there to make a profit on special runs, as some manufacturers have proven.

For example, in the time I have been certified (or certifiable) as a rifle looney, Marlin has offered their 1894 in .41 Magnum twice. The first time it was a special cowboy model for Davidson's, complete with octagon barrel, that sold for around $800. The second time it was the 1894FG. I bought one the second time around. Marlin catalogued that model for 2 years around 2005-6, IIRC. I'm assuming that every .41 Magnum enthusiast bought one, sales dropped, and then Marlin dropped the caliber. This process is fine with me.

I would love a Blackhawk in .480 Ruger, .41 Magnum (MEDIUM FRAME), Hawkeye in 9.3x62, Hawkeye in .375/.416 Ruger with a wood or laminate stock w/ the 20" barrel instead of the ugly Hogue, and 18.5" barrels on the compact 77. 16" is too short for me. Just my $.02.

JV
If'n they can do Titanium castings, a Hawkeye Ti in a good synthetic stock patterned after the H'eye wood stock wouldn't suck. I think the Ruger line up is missing a true lightweight rifle.
Posted By: AMRA Re: Ruger's "Ask The CEO" program - 03/10/10
A 338-06 Stainless Hawkeye to go with my Stainless RSI 77 7mm08
Have not read this entire thread, so don't know if this came up. You can ask the Ruger CEO, as I did, but when you do, you are told not to expect an answer.

Seems like the this would be better titled "Tell the CEO what you think". If you are encouraged to ask a question, you would normally expect an answer, not silence.

Just sayin'.

Steve
I ask him about the 480 in any form and no answer
I asked for a .454 Casull bolt action rifle like they had for a 44 mag. with a tang safety. I think it would sell.
no, let mak it a semi-auto .454 Casull
Mk II polished blue in Hawkeye stock would be close to perfection IMO.
Since their guns are bombproof, and thus heavy, I just wish they would use titanium in something. Anything. Just try it. Please.

Travis
Posted By: Teal Re: Ruger's "Ask The CEO" program - 03/11/10
And that shouldn't be hard for them. IIRC the cast all the ti golf heads in the industry at one time. (Pine Tree Castings did).
I asked for some machined rings, rather than those heavy, oval pieces of cast dogcrap that they currently have.
Posted By: AMRA Re: Ruger's "Ask The CEO" program - 03/12/10
I ask for Information for my RSI stainless 7mm-08 I traded for
over in B`HAM AL as I got it without the factory box and factory paperwork. To my surprize a Rep from Ruger e-mailed me back
and told me when my gun was made and shipped. Also they were sending
a new Factory Box, Owners Manual, etc.
I was blown away
AMRA

ABSOLUTELY!

I HATE the matte finishes Ruger stupidly decided to put on their Hawkeye rifles. The Hawkeye matte stainless and matte blued finishes are absolutely TERRIBLE because they show every single little mark.

Ruger if you're listening, go back to the original satin stainless and gloss bluing you used to use on the 77 MK/II rifles. If you don't, I'll not waste my money buying Ruger rifles ever again!
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Ruger if you're listening, go back to the original satin stainless

Ruger's MKII Stainless rifles weren't satin, they were shiney and awful. If you were a predator hunter etc, it was nothing but glare. I own three MKII stainless rifles, and had all of them beadblasted matte.
Hawkeye in 9,3X62 and combo BBF on the Red Labels in 12-20ga over 9,3X74R, etc. They already have set up to chamber the round. Have a decent Ruger ring scope base on the barrel sets and good open sights. Offer Ruger QD type rings and Low Rings!
My vote would be for a Mini 14 that would actually shoot and a refund for those of us that bought all of the POS's in the past that were shotguns
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Hawkeye in 9,3X62

+1 That's what I suggested as well, Hawkeye African in 9.3.
Im pushing for a Ruger copy of the IMI Timberwolf. I cannot get that dang thing out of my head, just to handy and I prefer a pump over a levergun for pistol caliber rounds.
Just change the safety. Perfect IMHO would be a three position tang. Hate that little excuse for a safety lever on the Hawkeye and MK II.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Sweet, everyone wants something different, pretty much what THEY knew but it makes people fell good.

I like a semi-polished blue. The current matte blue used by Ruger is a bit too rough. The early flatbolts has a more subdued polished blue that I like. By the 70s Ruger was going overboard in polishing the actions and barrels.
The new Hawkeye finishes (even the stainless) are horrible.

Ruger used to have the very best finishes of all rifle makers. That is until they decided to go with those cheap, lousy looking Hawkeye matte finishes that shows a mark every time a leaf or twig touches them.

I guess I'll have to just keep buying Savage rifles...which definitely isn't a bad thing since they shoot so well anyway.

Ruger, please go back to your original finishes...stain stainless and gloss blue.
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Im pushing for a Ruger copy of the IMI Timberwolf. I cannot get that dang thing out of my head, just to handy and I prefer a pump over a levergun for pistol caliber rounds.

I think a 44mag pump would be a very cool little gun. If ruger did it it would hopefully have the integral scope bases so you could go from irons to a scope very easily. I too would prefer a pump to a lever those pistol cartridges.

noKnees
Posted By: EWY Re: Ruger's "Ask The CEO" program - 03/14/10
A medium frame Blackhawk in 41 mag would get my money.
Ernie
Dan360,
+1 on the 6.5mm Swede and 7mm Mauser in standard M77 HE (I'm an old softie on these two cals.) Have a 7mm Rem Mag so will pass on the .280 Rem. Regards, Homesteader
More powerful Lever Action Carbines - 450 S&W - for example.

A "Mini - 16" where the Mini 14 took M-16/AR15 Magazines.

And, clear magazines so when I come onto my shift I don't have to unload the entire magazine to check my inventory. State agencies can't just buy after market mags due to liability concerns.
Originally Posted by mcknight77
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I like a semi-polished blue. The current matte blue used by Ruger is a bit too rough. The early flatbolts has a more subdued polished blue that I like. By the 70s Ruger was going overboard in polishing the actions and barrels.

I wish every gun Ruger made came in the target gray finish. That fits the places and styles I hunt better than shiny stainless, matte stainless, matte blue, or polished blue.

Tom
Accurate Mini's in 7.62x39 and 6.8 SPC
maybe somebody has said this alredy how about a over under camo red label like brownings cynergy
Has anybody ask them to get rid of the silly angled action screw on the 77 and add a more substantial recoil lug?
Old man Ruger loved his "brush guns" but everywhere that "brush guns" are useful are becoming shotgun only areas. The problem with the 12 gauge slug gun is the 12 gauge slug. They are just too big. So, how about a lightweight pump action shotgun for deer hunting. Team up with Hornady on a 28 gauge shell using a saboted .45 xtp pistol bullet at about 1400 fps (maybe more). Should be perfect for shotgun only areas where shots come up fast and close. Of course it would be rifled and have integral Ruger rings for easy scope mounting. Weight should be 6.5 pounds scoped. Think of it as a 44 Deerslayer for shotgunners. Remington has controlled this market segment long enough.
Like the idea of a Hawkeye African in 9.3x62.

I just emailed Ruger and congratulated them on still chambering a few of the oldies. Also the limited runs in oddball/older cartridges. Not everybody wants a WSM.
© 24hourcampfire