Home
I'm asking this for a buddy - he'd appreciate your comments.

He likes the Tikka T3 Camo-Stainless. In that rifle both the 6.5 Swede and the 260 Remington are offered. I have not owned either cartridge and so I can only tell him about theoretical differences. I know some of you can probably do much better than that. Thanks,
I would go with the swede, because tikka is a long action so I always go with the larger case, that and I think there is prolly better brass for the swede out there.
A lot would depend on whether or not your friend handloads, what ammo availability is like if he doesn't, and what kind of game he will be hunting.

The T3 in 6.5 swede has an 8" twist barrel and will handle heavier (140gr-160gr) bullets better. Most .260's are twisted 9". I don't know how Tikka twists their .260s. If they are 8" then same/same as far as the two cartridges are concerned.
The Swede has a bit more powder capacity than the 260. It also has Lapua brass available at a reasonable (for Lapua) price.
And it's cooler.

I have two.
It would be wonderful if Beretta imported camo stainless T-3 in 6.5X55 or 260 rem.

Doc
I got out my Norma REloading Manual to get the European perspective comparing the two cartridges: Norma says the 6.5X55 has a slightly larger case but the .260 Rem is loaded to higher pressure -- so it is a wash. The .260 does fit nicely in a short action.

I have both, as I expect most 6.5mm devotees will.

jim
Here's a twist. Buy the Tikka you want in 7mm-08 or 308 and have it rebarreled to 6.5x47 Lapua. You'll have more room to seat the long bullets out there and you'll burn less powder yet get eaual or near equal ballistics due the higher operating pressure of the small rifle primed case. The 6.5x47 fits and works beautifully in a 308 chassis.

Alan
swede all the way...way too many inaccurate .260's out there! whistle

what is the rate of twist in each rifle!!
Though I have a 260 on a short action myself, I would go with the Swede in a Tikka since they are all long actions.

I think there is a better variety of brass and factory ammo availability for the Swede where I live.
Originally Posted by Gadfly
A lot would depend on whether or not your friend handloads, what ammo availability is like if he doesn't, and what kind of game he will be hunting...

+1. If he handloads, I'd say go with the Swede. If not, then the 260 Rem might be a better choice. However, it isn't all that hard to get 6.5x55 ammo-- it's just that some may think it a little underpowered, and you can for sure do better with handloads.

Both are great rounds.

Good shooting!
A lot would depend on whether or not your friend handloads, what ammo availability is like if he doesn't, and what kind of game he will be hunting.

The T3 in 6.5 swede has an 8" twist barrel and will handle heavier (140gr-160gr) bullets better. Most .260's are twisted 9". I don't know how Tikka twists their .260s. If they are 8" then same/same as far as the two cartridges are concerned.

According to the Tikka web site, both chamberings use a 1 in 8" twist. I've used both and find them pretty much equal.
it your friend just has to have a tikka, imo the swede is the obvious choice. and i hope he is a reloader. or he could get one in 7/08, which will do everything with just slightly more recoil.
However, it isn't all that hard to get 6.5x55 ammo-- it's just that some may think it a little underpowered
Then you buy Norma to hunt with.
I'm a confirmed 260 slut, but I gotta agree with Cumminscowboy. Being the T3 is a long action thats plugged to work with SA calibers, I'd go 6.5 Swede. In modern rifles, with modern data, its pretty much a 260+P

I'd take a 140 grain 6.5 Partition up against anything on this continent that doesn't bite back whistle
Swede.
Go with the 6.5X55. I wish we could the Tikka in 6.5 and 9.3X62 here in the States.
As someone else said, isn't this all a moot point, considering Tikka does not offer the T-3 in North America chambered in the 260 or 6.5x55?
Originally Posted by djs

According to the Tikka web site, both chamberings use a 1 in 8" twist. I've used both and find them pretty much equal.

Jeez dj. The answer used to be simple. But with identical twisteses, what do we do now? wink

Wish all decisions were so "hard." smile

-
Originally Posted by tx270
As someone else said, isn't this all a moot point, considering Tikka does not offer the T-3 in North America chambered in the 260 or 6.5x55?

The Tika T3 Lite in 6.5X55 can be had up here in Canada and that's were the OP is from..
IIRC the .260 T3 was also offered about a year ago when I was looking for one for a friend but I can't find any now..
Originally Posted by Nrut
Originally Posted by tx270

The Tika T3 Lite in 6.5X55 can be had up here in Canada and that's were the OP is from..
IIRC the .260 T3 was also offered about a year ago when I was looking for one for a friend but I can't find any now..

Gotcha. I didn't realize you could get them in Canada.

Bill

Swede. Cool Classic. Look long and hard at the cartridge and contemplate it's invention in the 19th Century. How'd they do that? Almost said it's perfect, but didn't.
I'd do a Swede and call it good. If indecision persists, get both.

Best Regards
got a t3 stainless lite in a 6.5x55. it's a shooting mofo with anything i've fed it. it's my wife's elk rifle.
Alan aka GSSP, since when did LOGIC have anything to do with a gun purchase? LOL

My 6.5 Barlein is awaiting an action to find it....being a short action lover, it's 47 Lapua or a 260, but since it's already stamped 6.5, that bbl may just go better with '47' stamped on it wink Will see.

On the OP question, I agree w/Dan, it's long to begin w/so a Tikka goes very well w/Swede. NO flies on the 260 but...the Swede is SWEET and it's a natural.

On bbl twist, IIRC, ALL current 6.5 bores by Tikka and Sako are 1 in 8" twist.

FWIW, at the Shot Show in 2009, I asked Beretta/Sako/Tikka personnel to chamber a 6mmBR in the varmint model and 6.5x47 in other models. Not holding my breath, but they WOULD be sweet.

GSSP, the only bad thing about the 47 is brass is 2x the cost of the longer 55 brass. A monopoly.....priced what the market will bear I suppose, but it's not a pro for the round.

That's why Hornady made what Rem should have to begin with, good brass w/good ammo in a round with a good shoulder angle, etc., the 6.5 Creedmoor, but I feel the 260 and 47 already crowded that space (short action, highly accurate, mild recoil, good ballistics) and doubt it will ever reach a terminal sales point to sustain it over time, but I may be wrong. I sense it will stall but I may be wrong. It is another good round no doubt.
You can load a Tikka in Swede to higher MV than a 260.I love my Tikka 6.5 x55!!!!
Originally Posted by husqvarna
Go with the 6.5X55. I wish we could the Tikka in 6.5 and 9.3X62 here in the States.
You can. There is a Lite stainless/synthetic and a Hunter blued/walnut one on Gunbroker right now. Never seen a 260 offered here before, though.
65BR, I'm going to be doing my part keeping the creedmor alive in the near future, I plan on picking up another infamous black rifle chambered in it.
They don't have the 260, but we have a 6.5 in our store right now.
Originally Posted by 65BR
Alan aka GSSP, since when did LOGIC have anything to do with a gun purchase? LOL

GSSP, the only bad thing about the 47 is brass is 2x the cost of the longer 55 brass.

Now 65BR, In this ecomomy logic has to come in to play. Just ask my wife who DOESN'T know about my new 6.5x47 tactical rifle wink

And, just now looked at Graf's and when comparing apples to apples (Lapua to Lapua) the 55 brass costs $64.99 and the 47 brass costs $96.99, per 100. That's not 1/2 but it's pure quality brass for sure.

Alan
Alan, I been crunching numbers, powder saved using a 47, add a little longer bbl life, etc, and the diff scales back so I am strongly looking at using that Bartlein for a 'Whactical' rifle....Whack whatever I need, paper, metal, game of whatever size needs killing. If I had to have one rifle, it'd be a 260, 6.5x55, or a 6.5x47. 85-100s on varmints, 130 Bergers and Accubombs on deer, and a 120 TSX for anything else, possibly a 130. The 55 might see a 140 Amax and Accubombs on a few deer and any decent 140-160 C/C bullet would do in lieu of a Tsx for bigger stuff if I chose. They fit easier into the Long actions.

For now I have lots of 130 NABs to use for deer and I think a 47 will handle them fine.

If I ever get dies and brass on the way, that will settle my decision. Hope to get an action on the way next week, looking at a BAT VR repeater. Seems 'fitting' of a 47 to me, but I think a 260 would not dissapoint.

Bbl is 8t, 5C, fluted Varmint 700 contour, 23" finished expected. Stock is a XCR Compact Tac, and a Jewell will complete.

Not a light wt. rifle, but one I can 'wring out' a 6.5 in good fashion and double duty as a Stand Rifle for varmint/deer/hogs.

If I do a 47 and happy, a sporter is next in perhaps a #3.

PA Man, you will do WELL, no doubt. You will have a nice round w/great ammo out the box if you want/need. The Ruger No.1 has my interest, but I have brass dies for 260 and 6.5x55 and my next 6.5 round I play w/was promised to go to the 47.

Post your results when you get the Black rifle.
© 24hourcampfire