Home
Posted By: hogan65 best excuses - 02/10/10
I have started coyote hunting after about 3 years of watching and reading as much as could get my hands on. In my first attempt with a homemade E-caller, after about 4 hours of working hard to see nothing, my partner and I were walking in when we suddenly walked up on a very large coyote standing on the logging road. He had no clue of our presence and allowed me to kneel for the shot. I was so excited it was like getting a shot at my first buck. I could feel the shake starting to rise in me so I took a deep breath, calmed myself and felt like I was keeping the cross hairs inside the chest of the dog as it faced me from about 70 yards. I squeezed the trigger and watched through the scope as dirt flew just over the shoulder behind the coyote followed by his quick exit to the right. I was so disappointed and could not get over my failure. I went the next day to test my rifles zero. After about 10 shots with nothing close to a group. I finally noticed the eye relief of the scope seemed awkward and eventually noticed the front rings had slipped completely off the gun. Repaired and resighted, I have renewed confidence and a good excuse. What are your favorite excuses for missing what should have been an easy shot?
Posted By: Higginez Re: best excuses - 02/10/10
I've got all sorts, but no clear favorite yet.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: best excuses - 02/10/10
Sun was in my eyes.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: best excuses - 02/10/10
S--t was in my head.
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: best excuses - 02/10/10
Originally Posted by Tom264
Sun was in my eyes.

hey that really happened to me...last shot I had at a coyote was one crossing a food plot while I was sitting in a ground blind....just as I got on him he came directly in front of the setting sun and the flare like to blinded me. darn good excuse.
Posted By: Dan360 Re: best excuses - 02/10/10
Wasn't holding my mouth right.
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: best excuses - 02/10/10
Not an excuse but my first shot is usually a "warning shot" and very seldom get a second shot.
Posted By: fu_redneck Re: best excuses - 02/10/10
You guys keep practicing and you won't have to make excuses.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: best excuses - 02/10/10
I have a crystal clear image of Uncle Ralph backed up to an oak tree, bibbed overalls buched-up between his knees, and the 12 gauge model 37 nearly ten-feet away, resting on a shrub - as "the herd" came flitting by. Being completely engaged, he simply watched, and kept squeezin' - but it wasn't the trigger!
I was only 'bout twelve or so, and was simply laughin' to hard to aim. Not a shot was fired.
Posted By: SpecialEd Re: best excuses - 02/10/10
Very bad hangover gave me a very bad hold over.
Posted By: super T Re: best excuses - 02/10/10
I just have this shooting thing mastered in theory only.
Posted By: Blackfly1 Re: best excuses - 02/10/10
I was hunting with my now gone best friend. He was in pretty rough shape. Only had one lung and a bad heart at that time. I had to carry his rifle. It was a twenty degree, crisp, clear morning. We had gotten about a half mile from the truck. A doe walked across the corner of a field. Gave Bob the rifle. He took aim. The rifle fired and the deer loped away. Bob looked up and grinned. In his hoarse whispery voice he said, "Darn cold air is so thin, the bullet just rose up over that deer!"
We worked our way back to the truck. It was our last hunt together.
Bfly
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: best excuses - 02/10/10
I didn't shoot. It wasn't me. blush

After you just went over and grabbed his barrel and it was still warm..
Posted By: fish head Re: best excuses - 02/10/10

I forgot to take the safety off.

I did it this year while deer hunting. It's not like I don't know how to do it after fourty plus years of hunting. When it happened I literally laughed out loud at myself.

fish head
Posted By: 1minute Re: best excuses - 02/10/10
A tectonic shift.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: best excuses - 02/10/10
Left handed safety on a Model 1100 screwed me up on a fast rising chukar. I'm left handed...

Pulled the trigger on an empty chamber carrying safe. Fortunately the kudu was dumber than me and stood there while I chambered a round.

Just plain missed a few times. Still can't figure those out. Will have to go back and see if Mercury was retrograde those times.
Posted By: HawkI Re: best excuses - 02/10/10
Scope was off...
Posted By: cal74 Re: best excuses - 02/10/10
I've made a few warning shots over the years, figure it's more sporting to give them a heads up to what's going on.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: best excuses - 02/10/10
Here on the prairie wind is a built-in excuse -- even on the odd day when it isn't blowing.
Posted By: 60n148w Re: best excuses - 02/10/10
To much group tightner the night before.

Fair Winds And following Seas.
Posted By: KRAKMT Re: best excuses - 02/10/10
Not enough "aiming juice" in the system.

That was a "looking" deer not a shooting deer.

Some of them breed better if they have been shot at, just encouraging them to go reproduce.
Posted By: BMT Re: best excuses - 02/11/10
Worst was when I looked in the scope and saw automobile traffic.

BMT
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: best excuses - 02/11/10
I hate when that happens.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: best excuses - 02/11/10
This one always makes me chuckle " the deer moved just as I was pulling the trigger or releasing the string"
Posted By: bcp Re: best excuses - 02/11/10
Gravity wave disrupted the bullet's flight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_wave

Bruce
Posted By: BlueDoe Re: best excuses - 02/11/10
Sun was reflectin' off my cataracts.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: best excuses - 02/11/10
Major L. Boddicker has a 3 part series in The Varmint Hunter magazine (#70, 71, and 72) on excuses. It is a riot to read. Like - the ammo is too slow the varmint moved before the bullet got there or the ammo is too fast the bullet evaporated before it got there. The scope was off because I had to use the rifle to beat that coyote off my leg.
Posted By: luke Re: best excuses - 02/11/10
I didn't see that tree between me and the deer.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: best excuses - 02/11/10
I've never missed grin
Posted By: hogan65 Re: best excuses - 02/11/10
Originally Posted by JMR40
I've never missed grin

I've hunted with you. Is that your story and are you sticking with it?
Posted By: Huntaria_Setters Re: best excuses - 02/11/10
I didn't get my footwork going in time.
Posted By: Steven_CO Re: best excuses - 02/11/10
As a kid, my uncle used to tell me....I think it's a loose screw behind the butt.

Posted By: Rogue Re: best excuses - 02/11/10
It's a german scope

and I can't speak german.

Posted By: JMR40 Re: best excuses - 02/11/10
Originally Posted by hogan65
Originally Posted by JMR40
I've never missed grin

I've hunted with you. Is that your story and are you sticking with it?

Yea, something like that. Funny how you tend to forget those moments and remember the great shots.
Posted By: atkinsonhunting Re: best excuses - 02/11/10
If I ever miss, I'll think of something! smile
Posted By: bruinruin Re: best excuses - 02/11/10
My favorite excuse for missing is one my BIL used some years back. "I didn't miss. I used a FMJ bullet on accident and it must have zipped right through."
Posted By: hogan65 Re: best excuses - 02/11/10
This all reminds me of that great cajun comedian Justin Wilson's story about the duck hunting miracle. When he shot a bunch of ducks on the water and they all got up and flew away. He told his friends he sure was glad be brought them, because they got to witness a miracle. When they asked him what miracle, he replied, "da miracle of all them there dead ducks getting up and flying away"
© 24hourcampfire