Home
Didn't H&K offer a wood stocked non-assault rifle back in the 80s? I seem to remember it and having a buddy with one? I can picture it, but can't remember anything about it.
Possibly a 770? 308 with a wood stock.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll212/jheggene/HK%20770/Canondownload1203.jpg
I used to own one. I had to sell it because pulling back the bolt was like pulling back a 100lb. weight. It did shoot well
Yes,I believe you're talking about about the HK SL7 in .308,also the HK SL8,in .223.You should have bought one or the other back in '81 or in the early '80's anyway when they were dirt cheap.They're running better than $2000 now,right up there with the HK71s and HK73s.
That's the one! Thanks!

I knew a guy who had one in .308. This was years ago, but if I remember right it had a grooved chamber and it marked up brass pretty fierce. He was a handloader and he sold off the rifle just because of that.

- Tom
Had one once. Very good rifle. It was one I wish I hadn't let get away.

The grooved chamber is what makes the system work. And while the "grooving" leaves the cases somewhat less than pretty,and carboned up a little, it in no way effects the reloadability of the case. Just tumble them, and reload.

-Mike-
IIRC they offered them in .223, .308 and .30-06.
There were 2. The SL-6 and the SL-7. 223 and 7.62 x 51 and they took a detachable 10 rd mag. . Ive been looking for an SL-7 for a while.

There was a long barreled version that looked like a hunting rifle the 770 in 308 and the 940 in 30-06.
There was also the 630 which was the little .223 brother of the 770 annd 940 (wood stocked).
I said the .223 was the SL8,I meant to say the SL6 for the.223.I know for sure the.308 is the SL7.
Ranger,are you still playin' in the sand,or are you home?BTW,keep checking Guns America,I saw an HK SL7 or 2 on there, here a while back.
Hello,
I'm home for now, headed back the middle of next month. I've been looking on GB but nothing there lately.
Thanks,
Originally Posted by MickeyD
The grooved chamber is what makes the system work. And while the "grooving" leaves the cases somewhat less than pretty,and carboned up a little, it in no way effects the reloadability of the case. Just tumble them, and reload.
-Mike-

I had wondered about that, but I don't think he kept it long enough to even give it a chance.

It was a great looking rifle. Don't recall how accurate it was, but then he didn't keep it long enough to really find out.

Haven't come across one since.

- Tom
Had one of those, back in the '80's. It was ugly and awkward and shot like nothing else. This was in SW Colorado, and our gun club had bowling pin shooting competitions about once a month. I used to win the unlimited matches pretty regularly, shooting against submachine guns, automatic rifles and suchlike. I loaded 110-gr hollowpoints at about 2000 fps, and the SL7 fired them as routinely as full-power 7.62x51's. Those bullets would take bowling pins straight backwards off the table without hardly lifting the muzzle...which meant five shots and done for me, well ahead of guys emptying 20-round magazines from full-auto rifles.

I sold the SL7 to a local cop who wanted it for law enforcement -- think I sold it to him for maybe $350? One of the few I've sold that I regretted selling instantly and forever afterwards.

Dennis
I eyed them back in the '80s, but then took the politically incorrect step and bought an HK91 instead. I am still politically incorrect to this day.
I wanted an HK91, but had two small children and couldn't afford the $700 or so it would have cost me...

I have a CETME now, and like it quite a lot. But I still wish I had kept the SL7.

Dennis
Posted By: Dew Re: Anyone remember this old H&K? - 03/20/10
Don't have one. But have a 300 H&K .22 Magnum. Nice gun. Only H&K I guess I'll ever own.
The Old Man has a 770. Great rifle.
the h&k 630 is a coyote killing machine. my hunting buddies have killled a train load with the 6 or 7 we have.
In France because of insane law we had it in 7x64Brenneke, 222Rem and also a smaller one in rimfire 22Mag. Used the delayer roller bolt system of the HK G3 based on the CETME that was conceived by german Mauser designer during 2nd world war (stg45)that fled to Spain. As there is no primary extraction the chamber is cannelured so some very small part of gases "float" the case to help extraction. System was used also on HK 11 and 21 machine guns, HK G33 and french Famas. The HK 630, 770 and 940 were a bit ugly and heavy but did they shoot!
My first employer hunts with one to this day.
© 24hourcampfire