Home
Posted By: czech1022 Best Packable Raingear? - 03/18/10
Doing next year's planning...want a set of lightweight raingear that can go into my daypack. No need for insulation, since I'll be layering my "dry" hunting clothes. Don't want a parka-type jacket, must have a full zipper so I can easily get to pockets underneath and open up if it gets warm.

Don't have a bunch to spend, so how about a "best" recommendation as well as a "best for the buck" choice?
Posted By: Tejano Re: Best Packable Raingear? - 03/18/10
Check the Alaska forum those guys know rain gear. I just picked up some HH Impertech II on close out but it looks like it is sold out. I wanted to get a second set of Bibs to cut off for Muskeg shorts but too late.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Best Packable Raingear? - 03/18/10
I have Cabelas, the yop and bottom each go into a pack about 3" dia,maybe 5" long. They work fairly well
Posted By: czech1022 Re: Best Packable Raingear? - 03/18/10
What type of Cabelas? Their Space Rain gear is small and light to pack but it has a lot of negative reviews as being too easily torn when moving through brush. Rain Suede looks more durable but I don't know how light it is or how much space it takes up.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Best Packable Raingear? - 03/18/10
The jacket is great, but the pants will rip. I still buy them when they go on sale and they can be fixxed with duct tape. I just orded a new pair of pants for $49 I think. They are on sale right now and unless you want to spend $350+ they are great.
Posted By: Junior1942 Re: Best Packable Raingear? - 03/18/10
I like my Terrapin Ultralite Poncho. I got it with the "Backpack Extension" so I can wear it over a backpack. It's very lightweight and fits in its little mesh bag and stays inside my backpack. No zipper, but the sleeves and the poncho are so baggy it's easy to slip your hands and arms under the poncho. Haven't used it in the woods yet, but I did put it on and get under the bathroom shower. It didn't leak a drop. I like it!
Posted By: czech1022 Re: Best Packable Raingear? - 03/18/10
For only $50, that poncho looks like a great choice.
Posted By: Junior1942 Re: Best Packable Raingear? - 03/18/10
Originally Posted by czech1022
For only $50, that poncho looks like a great choice.
It is for a fact. Mine is some sort of gray which isn't offered now. Now they offer a "Willow Green" which I wish I had. Mesh bag and all, mine weighs exactly 8.0 ozs.

Oops! Mine is the willow green!
Posted By: 1flier Re: Best Packable Raingear? - 03/19/10
I have granted your wish, Junior.

You are welcome.

1flier
Camo Frog Togs,I bought a set for $39.00 and took them to Canada Caribou hunting and was impressed with their durability.
Posted By: HunterJim Re: Best Packable Raingear? - 03/19/10
I use the Cabelas Space Rain and have been using the same outfit for coming up on year three. They are on sale now as posted above...jim
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Best Packable Raingear? - 03/19/10
I'm a big fan of Patagonia's gear. My rain jacket is one of their hard shells, like their Rain Shadow Parka. I rarely use any of the pants they offer. Instead, I wear heavy wool pants and knee high, Gore-Tex Gaitors.
I won't have any upper garment that doesn't vent readily. That will protect you from the "inner storm" which can chill and kill you almost as well as the "outer storm."
Ponchos work too. Their big drawback is they flap around in the wind and tend to awkward to use at times hunting. However, there are several models that can double as a lean to, or even an emergency bivy. That's the reason I still carry one. E
Posted By: rl11 Re: Best Packable Raingear? - 03/19/10
A lot of guys hate the Frogg Togg suits, but for a full suit for forty bucks, you can get by. I wouldn't take it to anywhere with a ton of precipitation, but it works pretty good for hunting around here.

They're made super cheap, so the zippers don't last long, but the material is actually pretty nice. Its really light, it does breath, and it's not overly loud.

It will rip, and it does look ridiculous. It keeps you dry though, and packs up small and light. Which for hunting in Montana, that's all I need.
Posted By: 1B Re: Best Packable Raingear? - 03/20/10
Frogg Toggs now come in Adavantage camo and have a set with pants that have a bib. They are as waterproof as anything I have used locally and breathable too, but don't wear them through that there briar-patch. They come in 3x now.

1B
Posted By: luke Re: Best Packable Raingear? - 03/20/10
I have a set of Duxbak Goretex, that I have had for at least 20 years. They are not bulky, on the thin side and will roll up or fold up very tight. I have never seen them anywhere in years, but can attest to their durability. They are a camo pattern.
I have a set of Duxbak Goretex, that I have had for at least 20 years. They are not bulky, on the thin side and will roll up or fold up very tight. I have never seen them anywhere in years, but can attest to their durability. They are a camo pattern.
Sorry for the double post, I had whiskey last night.
Posted By: tbear Re: Best Packable Raingear? - 03/20/10
I hope whiskey is not your dog smile .
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Best Packable Raingear? - 03/20/10
I've got the Cabela's MT050 rain gear, and both pants and jacket pack down into about the size you're looking for. More expensive than the space rain gear, but mine have lasted 4 hunting seasons (turkey and deer) and no rips, no tears.
Posted By: fish head Re: Best Packable Raingear? - 03/20/10
I'll throw in a different perspective. I hunt in my raingear, rain or shine. It started when I lived and hunted in Alaska. You never could tell what the weather was going to be like, usually, in any given day. Too much varitabilty in the weather. I bought a pair of Cabela's Dry Plus breathable pants and I can't remember for sure and they don't say on the label, but I think they're dry suede ? ? ?. I've had them for about 10 years now. Good stuff, no problems.

They're light, a little baggy (still fit good) and very comfortable for hiking. Depending on how cold it is, depends on what I use for layering. Polypropelene long underwear, and if needed, fleece pants over or if it's really cold a pair of heavy cotton sweat pants over the long underwear. The more I've used this "system" and refined it, the better I like it. It's warm, comfy, dry, no issues with sweat and light weight. My butt doesn't get wet when sitting and glassing, dew or snow doesn't get my pants legs wet and if it rains I'm covered. I wear a 10X Goretex coat on top and layer accordingly. This is what I've used for hunting in temps from single digits to the upper 50's.

I really dislike carrying a daypack. I've gone back to what I used to use in the 80's and that's just a fanny pack. I can fit enough stuff for a day's hunt in there and NO shoulder straps to deal with, which is why I don't like daypacks for hunting. I've also trimmed the amount of things that I carry with me into the field. Got tired of bringing everything I own along with me everyday. I've finally figured out what I need and what I don't need to hunt for a day.

Of course it all depends on conditions, weather, climate and on and on as to what works best for somebody else and of course personal preferences too. Also, what I was getting at in a very roundabout way, is I've found a way not to have to carry raingear along with me. I just thought I'd give a different perspective and some different ideas.

fish head
Posted By: remfak Re: Best Packable Raingear? - 03/20/10
This stuff!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ex&parentId=cat470082&id=0057309
Posted By: WJU Re: Best Packable Raingear? - 03/24/10
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
I've got the Cabela's MT050 rain gear, and both pants and jacket pack down into about the size you're looking for. More expensive than the space rain gear, but mine have lasted 4 hunting seasons (turkey and deer) and no rips, no tears.

I AGREE

I have used mine for many Colorado elk hunts and lots of hunting in thick stuff back east. Simply the best I have found. I have (2) pairs of pants and theh jacket. It is all take anymore......even if it is not raining;)
Posted By: battue Re: Best Packable Raingear? - 03/24/10
Packable with no insulation concerns Space Rain is hard to beat with the exception of dragging it thru really bad jaggers. Depends upon what you ask it to do. For keeping one dry it works great.
© 24hourcampfire