Home
243 pencil barrel serial 21xx anyone know approx. date of manufacture. its a sako action
If it has no prefix before serial number, as in numeral or letter, it would have been made in 1962.
A Safari should have an "L" product code in the serial number. The date code would be 1 or 2 digits on one side of the L. 2Lxxxx would indicate 1962. 72Lxxxx would be 1972.

Jerry
Originally Posted by orion03
If it has no prefix before serial number, as in numeral or letter, it would have been made in 1962.

They didn't do Sako actions until late 1963-early 1964.A 1962 243 would have a small ring Mauser action.

Brian.
receiver is marked 21xx right side; then the barrel is marked 21xxZ5 on the left side.???thanks elton
The Z is the model code for a 1965 Sako L579 action Safari.

Jerry
I've seen this before, but have forgotten. Over what time period were the salt stocks used. thanks
Most books claim 1967 till 1970 for salt wood....
I 'm pretty sure salt was possible from 66 to 74.
Originally Posted by wiktor
I 'm pretty sure salt was possible from 66 to 74.

Thats what The Blue Book says also.
thank you, Gentlemen!
Originally Posted by southtexas
Over what time period were the salt stocks used. thanks

They appeared in late '67,and continued through until production ceased in '75.The worst years were '69 through '71,with '69 being the absolute worst.IIRC,about 1/3 of Safari's built in '69 had salt wood.

Brian.
Thanks so much for the information, I recently bought the gun in poor condition, (no salt) barrel was a copper mine, someone refinished stock with a paint brush and urathane, but the action is great,
I've cleaned the barrel and refinished (oil hand rubbed) and recut the checkering put a 6x leupold on last night and this is how it turned out. Great handling gun and hope it shoots as good has it feels.
[Linked Image]
only think that isn't working to my liking is the trigger. #5 is as low as will go. any lower and it doesn't cock. Any suggestions.
has two adjustment screws but it has a set screw on top of trigger in the middle of trigger. Not the screw that tightens the trigger at the end but just a set screw on top???? Anyone have a diagram and procedure on setting the trigger. thanks elton
Nice job!

Many here would like to help you with the trigger, but most won't because of the chance of miscommunication and someone getting hurt or killed. Take it to a gunsmith for trigger work. Sorry.
Put a Canjar trigger in it,and be done with it.I've got a Canjar single set in one of my Safari Grade 243's and it's the t!ts.

Brian.
© 24hourcampfire