Home
Posted By: Calvin Anybody watching Top Shot? - 06/08/10
Figured I'd post here, as the Hunters Campfire moves too fast..

I watched it last night. The 22 y/o kid did a good job reading the wind in the 200/400/600 yd shoot off. It'd be cool if they stretched it out a little, but still some pretty good shooting by the kid.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Anybody watching Top Shot? - 06/08/10
I watched it on Hulu yesterday. The boy was quick on those targets. Such as it was, I found the whole thing to be just plain stupid. The History Channel use to have great stuff on it, now its piss poor programing. It was way better when Roger Mudd was there.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Anybody watching Top Shot? - 06/08/10
They are trying to bring too much drama into the show to appeal to the housewives market..

But, it's better than watching Oprah.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Anybody watching Top Shot? - 06/08/10

What did you find so objectionable about Top Shot?
I watched about ten minutes of it. It seems to be nothing more than another "Survivor" sort of eat-each-other-alive show, but with guns.

Drivel.

Without the politics, results is all that counts on TOP Shot.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Anybody watching Top Shot? - 06/08/10
Haven't seen much quality in shooting yet on the show....

Time wise on the targets, that was all edited filming, no telling how long or not that part took... I know one thing though, just in case I'd have had shots out of that gun awful quick as long as the spotter understood and gave feedback, so we can work off the shot calls.....

Does anyone think that Kelly's first shot at 600 was screwed up really bad since he yanked his head up off the stock so dang fast trying to see if the target would light up?

Hard to second guess some of that, and since the flags were about useless in design, and we dont' know the dimensions of the targets its hard to know. I think Kelly said 4 moa of wind at 600 and then added 2 more IIRC... thats 6moa of wind. The wind didn't seem 6moa strong at all to me... more like 3moa strong but in fairness they didn't give you much time to see that,

Of course the part about waiting on teh 200 yard target to clear... I mean if you were on target, I dont' need to see the target to shoot.... especially prone with a bipod... and as slow as that smoke went across there, unless they slowed that part of the film down.... I just dont 'see that much wind in MOA at 600...
Posted By: cal74 Re: Anybody watching Top Shot? - 06/08/10
I made it through the first minute or so when they were introducing everyone, than woke up a few minutes after the show was over and turned the TV off. Guess I was either really tired or bored, or maybe both?
I have already had a guy that know tell me that he watched the show.... He knows that I shoot a lot at long range and have killed a few animals at long range he always gives me the 3rd degree about it.....(you know one of those guys) Well today he tells me "If the best shooters in the world cannot hit the target at 400 and 600 yards there is not way you can do it."
Posted By: djs Re: Anybody watching Top Shot? - 06/08/10
Missed it - but maybe I didn't miss much.
Originally Posted by heavywalker
I have already had a guy that know tell me that he watched the show.... He knows that I shoot a lot at long range and have killed a few animals at long range he always gives me the 3rd degree about it.....(you know one of those guys) Well today he tells me "If the best shooters in the world cannot hit the target at 400 and 600 yards there is not way you can do it."

What makes him think that he was watching the best shooters in the world? I certainly did not get that from the show.
I know they are not as is evident by their performance, but he probably saw the same commercial that I did saying that the history channel searched the nation and found the best of the best for the competition..... Would lead one to believe that they actually are the best of the best on the show.

I have no doubt that there are some excellent marksman on that show but even the most impressive guy on there did things that were in terrible shooting form (jerking his head out to see the target) Nobody knew how to spot and one of them could not even get the spotting scope on target to see to spot. That and assuming that the rifles in the team competition were sighted in properly which they never said how in the hell do you miss with a rest at 50 and 100 yards.

Not a very good search if they think these guys are the best IMHO
To me it seemed as if they were shooting out of their realm of experties. Next week they shoot handguns that should be interesting. I wonder how bad some of them will shoot?
Regarding the "best of the best", I don't really trust networks to do much research in any of the shooting/military representations. I saw a show about the SEAL/S on one of the Discovery networks, and they had to have searched LONG and hard to find the DOOF-BALL that they chose to represent all of the SEAL/S.

Also let's not forget that the powers that be at Discovery also sired TLC and Animal Planet, so I don't see many friendlies there. The History Channel is no better with A&E and Lifetime. Lots of anti propaganda no matter what.
Posted By: Gene L Re: Anybody watching Top Shot? - 06/09/10
The History Channel lost a lot of credibility when they started doing show after show on Bigfoot and UFOs.

Pawn Stars is good, and American Pickers ain't bad. But this Top Shot reeks.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Anybody watching Top Shot? - 06/09/10
I'd say that they could(and do) script pawn stars more than Top Shot.

Either way, my kids liked it. Better than Hannah Montana. Anything that will get/keep them interested in stuff like that is ok in my book
Posted By: Calvin Re: Anybody watching Top Shot? - 06/09/10
Originally Posted by jwp475

What makes him think that he was watching the best shooters in the world? I certainly did not get that from the show.

How big do you figure the exploding target was at 600yds? Looked to me to be about the size of a paper plate.

I'd LOVE to line up the 'fire members and let them take shots at a paper plate in windy conditions. Some could hit it 2 shots, but I'm guess most of them couldn't.
Just saw it for the first time, tonight. Guy couldn't light a match, but still made some good shots. The guy with the bullwhip was pretty cool, but a little into himself.

Must admit, the only reason that I kept watching was to give a report... totally forgettable show!
Posted By: cal74 Re: Anybody watching Top Shot? - 06/09/10
Originally Posted by CAPITALIST
Just saw it for the first time, tonight. Guy couldn't light a match, but still made some good shots. The guy with the bullwhip was pretty cool, but a little into himself.

Must admit, the only reason that I kept watching was to give a report... totally forgettable show!

The show with the bullwhip and such was on before Top shot, that was called Expert Shots or something of the sorts.

I caught about 1/2 the first show and saw Top Shots. Can't say I was impressed with their abilities
I used to watch the History Channel non-stop. Especially back in the Roger Mudd days when you could actually learn something, but like anything else it has morphed into cheesy shows that don't amount to much. Catering to the sponsors, instead of those that want to learn about history. Lastnight they ran the Expert shots or something and halfway through it I picked up my book and turned it off. Like a lot of things, I wish they could get back to the basics.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Anybody watching Top Shot? - 06/09/10
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by jwp475

How big do you figure the exploding target was at 600yds? Looked to me to be about the size of a paper plate.

I'd LOVE to line up the 'fire members and let them take shots at a paper plate in windy conditions. Some could hit it 2 shots, but I'm guess most of them couldn't.

If I could find a link and look at it again slowly... I'd have a good guess, the only thing I reference is the targets at 50 and 100 looked like 12 inches or so and the target would LOOK tiny at 600 if the same size, that 600 or 400 yard target did not look that small to me unless it was an optical or camera illusion... I'd be thinking on the order of at least 24 inches. I can say this that even a 24 inch target at 600 with iron sights is hard for most of the average competitors at a match to hit reliably at times.

You make a good point about the kids though... of course they probably like the hunting shows that are a joke to most too..... I still won't ever forget that one that "shot" a deer and (it had a LOUD bang too) then worked the action and NOTHING came out.... staged shot with sound edited in... I'd rather see the raw film personally....
Posted By: dubePA Re: Anybody watching Top Shot? - 06/09/10
Watched some of it last night. Druther watch a melodramatic show about shooting, than The Rise of Hitler, for the umpteenth time.

Kinda felt bad for the guy that couldn't seem to find the target with the 03. Reminded me of all the chip shots I've missed on 300 yard polecats over the years. Can kill woodchucks with relative ease, but if something is black, white and stinky, can't seem to hit it. Unless I'm turkey hunting with a 12ga and they're 15 feet away.

Now mostly watch the Military Channel or History International, more than the orginal History Channel anyway.

Best show on cable, is How It's Made.
I changed it right as it started. I was interested at first, but someone that is the top shot in many things is not the top shot at anything, or so methinks.
Posted By: Fast_Ed Re: Anybody watching Top Shot? - 07/02/10
If these guys are the best of the best, why haven't I heard of any of them before? Where is Jerry Miculek or David Tubb or Brian Enos?

I watch it for the 10 minutes of shooting and try to ignore the 'Survivor" bs for the other 50 minutes. I don't care if Kelly likes Brad. I just want to see them shoot. To be honest, I know guys that are better shots than some of these guys. I may not be, but I know guys that are.

Fast Ed
Posted By: spr1 Re: Anybody watching Top Shot? - 07/02/10
Google J.J. Racaza......
Posted By: jim62 Re: Anybody watching Top Shot? - 07/02/10
IMHO, That Kid in the show would have pretty much done the same to Jerry Miculek in the long range shootoff..

I have watched Jerry shoot a scoped rifle ,trying to hit a 6" bull at 200 yards. Let's just say it was not very insprirational.

He is a much better pistol shot.

When the targets are no more than 25 yards away.

In 1991 durring the .22 pistol part of the Chevy team challenge match I saw Jerry miss a 6" steel plate SIX TIMES with a Smith 41 with a dot site mounted at 20 yards.

As the great pistol shot Bill Jordan once said- "Speed is fine- but accuracy is FINAL".
Jim62, I think you are correct. I think the kid will prevail. I can think of several shooters that can clean their clock.
Butch
Posted By: Huntz Re: Anybody watching Top Shot? - 07/04/10
I think it is an interesting show.Don`t agree these are the best of the best,but they are better than the average shot.
I think it's pretty darn refreshing to see some programming that supports shooting skill, guns, and marksmanship in general.

A few years back, I never would believe a show like this would EVER be on TV.

Once for about 15 minutes. Did not enjoy the format at all.
I watched part of one episode, but it looked too much like one of the reality shows. Too much drama instead of focusing on the shooting.
I watch it when I can but always flip it to something else when the sissy, pissy, whiney, drama starts.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Anybody watching Top Shot? - 07/06/10
I watched it for the first time this weekend... I lasted about 10 minutes...buncha damn drama queens....never again but that won't be hard as we don't have cable or satellite. I can't stand watching any outdoor shows, be they fishing, hunting or shooting. Would rather just go out and do it myself I guess.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Anybody watching Top Shot? - 07/06/10
While it's set up like a reality show w/ some of the silly drama that tends to come with that format, I think it's a really good thing that each week about 2 million people are watching shooters demonstrate their skills in a competition of sorts.

They are portayed as normal folks with an interest and skill in shooting, not as wacko gun nuts who should be looked at with fear and disgust. This is a good thing. I personally shoot in 3 gun competitions with one of the competitors (Iain) and he is a good shooter and generally a good guy. So regardless of the shortcomings of the show for hard core shooters, I think "Top Shot" is really positive thing for all of us.
© 24hourcampfire