Home
Posted By: win9410 Rotary Gun Rack - 06/20/10
I've noticed the rotary gun racks advertised with the rare earth magnets used to hold the barrels. Does anyone know just what kind of magnet they are, and which lazy susan hardware would support one? I made a rotary rack a few years ago, but the lazy susan is not too well constructed and the top piece requires you to slip the gun through the hole. It results in easy banging of the guns.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Rotary Gun Rack - 06/21/10
win9410:
While I'm not sure about where in the US I'd look for a rare earth magnet, up here I'd look at Lee Valley Tools.

I work in a cabinet shop and have not seen any lazy suzan system from any of our suppliers that would support the weight of several rifles.

The idea is sound, but I'd make one up from a bearing and either a metal plate or a very thick plywood plate.

Hopefully that was some use to you, all the best luck with your project.

Regards,
Dwayne
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Rotary Gun Rack - 06/21/10
Here is a link to a source for all kinds of lazy susan turntable hardware.
Some are rated to support 1050 lbs.

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/CTGY/LazySusan?gclid=CKrK8Km5sKICFWE45wodqWpl4g

Here is a link to more types of magnets than you ever knew existed.

http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/

Be aware the most types of stainless steel are non-magnetic so you would need an alternate method to secure your SS rifles.
Posted By: win9410 Re: Rotary Gun Rack - 06/21/10
Gentlemen, thank you. I ordered both a lazy susan and some magnets to see if I can make the gun rack smoother and more secure.
Posted By: bcp Re: Rotary Gun Rack - 06/21/10
How about a car hub? Some are fairly small, and far stronger than a lazy susan.

[Linked Image]

Bruce
Posted By: AJD Re: Rotary Gun Rack - 06/22/10
I have one of the commercial models my wife gave me for a present. She is always trying to keep me organized. It was pre-magnets, uses a rubber band/bungie cord type thing to hold the guns, it goes around the barrels. It works OK, it is great for a corner where it's difficult to get to the guns. The guns are too close together and the bolts hang up on the adjacent stock, if not very careful. If you space the guns out or put single shots in they are spaced fine. A local gun dealer has a newer model with the magnets and it works very well.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Rotary Gun Rack - 06/22/10
Magnets won't work with stainless steel barrels.
Posted By: viking Re: Rotary Gun Rack - 06/22/10
we got in a gun safe at work, it was/is a heavy bastid. 1150-1200 1bs. it holds 40 long guns and a bunch of pistols. Pendelton? is the brand. EXPENSIVE. it has an electric index and LED lights.
Indy CA35- Why not? I've seen them SS on the local FFL's rotary.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Rotary Gun Rack - 06/22/10
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Be aware the most types of stainless steel are non-magnetic so you would need an alternate method to secure your SS rifles.

Like I said here, most types of SS are non-magnetic.
Meaning a magnet will not stick to it.
Posted By: 14cm Re: Rotary Gun Rack - 06/22/10
400 series is magnetic 300 is not. alot of barrels are 416, hence magmetic
Magnets stick to my rifles. But then I have these special order R-66 magnets.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Rotary Gun Rack - 06/23/10
Originally Posted by bcp
How about a car hub? Some are fairly small, and far stronger than a lazy susan.

[Linked Image]

Bruce
If it is from a Kia I'd be worried that it would wear out................
© 24hourcampfire