Home
Posted By: ChipM Anyone have a .270 youth load - 09/23/10
I recently picked up a Vanguard VGL Carbine in 270 win. My son really likes it and has laid claim to it. I don't mind and considering buying a Boyd JRS stock to cut down and fit for him leaving the factory McMillan when he grows into it. I know the 270 may not be the best youth gun but would like to give it a try. Anyone have a load they have developed for the 270 with light recoil for a youth? I'm figuring 110 gr bullet.

Thanks
110 Sierra flat base and 54 grains of IMR 4350 have worked for us.
You might try the same bullet with 4064 or 4895 starting loads.

Might also consider the 85gr TSX, it was designed for the 6.8 so it should open well at slower speeds.
Call Sierra. They'll have the info you need.
http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf
MagMarc,

I did try the Hodgdon website and recoil on these loads is about 7.5 pds in a 7 lb rifle..not bad at all
270 may be the best youth gun. Make no apologies to anyone about starting your boy with one.
I don't know about all Rem green/yellow Core-Lokt 130gr but I once bought 5 boxes that only averaged 2740fps. Let my 16yr old daughter train with them. Later she confidently killed an elk with 130 Partitions at 3175fps. Said she never noticed any difference.
I'm loading 06s for a friends son who is 12 with the data there. He has had no problems with recoil.
My pre teen grandsons have been shooting a bunch 130 gr bullets loaded over 4759 to about 2000 fps. We are using Nosler Solid Base bullets. Accuracy is spectacular. Noise & recoil are absolutely minimal.
I put a Rem youth stock on one of my old 700's.
Loading data was straight out of the manuals.
Re: Anyone have a .270 youth load

neighbor kids gettin' uppity???
Originally Posted by ChipM
I recently picked up a Vanguard VGL Carbine in 270 win. My son really likes it and has laid claim to it. I don't mind and considering buying a Boyd JRS stock to cut down and fit for him leaving the factory McMillan when he grows into it. I know the 270 may not be the best youth gun but would like to give it a try. Anyone have a load they have developed for the 270 with light recoil for a youth? I'm figuring 110 gr bullet.

Thanks

The 270 is excellent and will take any game animal that your son wishes to take with it assuming proper bullets
Originally Posted by johnw
Re: Anyone have a .270 youth load

neighbor kids gettin' uppity???

No my own, figure I can make him go long and see ho I do.. grin
© 24hourcampfire