Home
Posted By: iambrb 12 ga 3" OO buckshot...+P??? - 10/03/10
Is there a "+P" version of 3" 12ga buckshot ammo?

Is one type a really superior performer over the other?

I just got back from scouting an area near my house, and it is tailor-made for a shotgun. there is one area that is a tad more open, but not really by all that much. I have by chance recently bought a nice 12gs pump, so need to know if there is a difference in the 12ga OO buckshot rounds, thanks
Pattern them out of your rig, and go from there.

Buffered, plated shot generally give tighter groups - less deformation of the shot really helps.

I get best patterns with low recoil tactical 2 3/4" shells out of my improved cylinder bore.
These show a velocity increase of 75fps over the competitors:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=972149
Have Hans Vang tutor your shotgun.

https://vangcomp.com/Home.html

jim
Look for the ones that give the most velocity. Some are reduced velocity in order to reduce recoil.

The recoil reduction works fine, but the buck shot do not penetrate enough. You need something that over penetrates.

No, really, I shot a deer at close range with some of the reduced velocity loads, and the buckshot did not completely penetrate the skin.
75 FPS, holy cow the world is coming to an end, I can catch 75 FPS in my bare hand! I think? smile
Posted By: keith Re: 12 ga 3" OO buckshot...+P??? - 10/03/10
I have an 1100 Barrel with a Hastings Turkey choke that patterns Rem 3" 00 and 000 in a 15" pattern at 40 yards...you may want to give that a try.
Originally Posted by atkinsonhunting
75 FPS, holy cow the world is coming to an end, I can catch 75 FPS in my bare hand! I think? smile

Well he asked. LOL

Besides,I don't think you'd want try catching by hand a 00 buck pellet going 51MPH!

Take a look at the Dixe Tri-Ball load 3 60 caliber balls 315 grains each. The badest buckshot that I have ever seen used, next being 000 Buck

[Linked Image]

http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html
I honestly think too much is made of velocity with heavier shot.

When I tote a scattergun, I shoot Federal Vital-Shok 3-inch No. 1's. @ 1040 fps. using a full choke, which sounds a little odd, but it works. Might be because I get less shot deformation with the lower velocity and smaller shot, I really don't know.

They have (25) .30 Caliber pellets that pattern well in my guns and have always done what was asked.

Most any buckshot will work, just a matter of finding what will pattern best in your shotgun.
I get best patterns with low recoil tactical 2 3/4" shells out of my improved cylinder bore.

There's a reason for that.

You'll also likely find that smaller pellets will pattern much better. 20 Ga #3 will go thru and thru a 250# hog at 25-30 yards.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

There's a reason for that.

Yup, less velocity, less deformation.

I have gotten excellent patterns out of my shotgun with 000 buck at 40 yards with a full choke (screw-in)

A ,660 diameter choke with 1" of parallel side will place the 3 Tri-Balls within a 4" circle at 40 yards
I wouldn't want to be on the recieving end of that.

Originally Posted by 1234567
Look for the ones that give the most velocity. Some are reduced velocity in order to reduce recoil.

The recoil reduction works fine, but the buck shot do not penetrate enough. You need something that over penetrates.

No, really, I shot a deer at close range with some of the reduced velocity loads, and the buckshot did not completely penetrate the skin.

Really now? What range, what load, what MV....Cops must be undergunned then too if it won't even get through the first layer of skin. Of course I've shot more than 2 pigs with buckshot.... reduced recoil and 3 inchers... never had a problem with any of it. My personal favorite out to 50 yards for deer and pigs is 3 inch, nickel plated buffered #4 buck...
I'd also go with the idea of smaller shot size than 00. Back in the days when I used buckshot I always had better luck with #4 Buck as it patterned better and threw a hat-full of pellets as opposed to the 9-12 count of a 00 load. The smaller shot size was no handicap at 40 yards (about as far as one should use buckshot anyway).

Unless you are limited by law (or lack of another gun), I'd suggest something other than buckshot.....like a rifle (a .44 carbine works really well at close range). While buckshot will (and has) killed a lot of deer....it also has wounded a lot too. The blood trail of a buckshot deer also may-or may not be too great either.
© 24hourcampfire