Best Copper Fouling Remover...

Posted by: Dawn2Dusk

Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 10:14 AM

Question to those in the business or who shoot much more than I do; three part question...

What's the best copper fouling remover;

#1: For ease of use on lightly copper fouled barrels?

#2: For use on moderately copper fouled barrels and semi-stubborn fouling?

#3: For a heavy copper fouled barrel and extremely stubborn fouling?
Posted by: KDF

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 10:22 AM

Not a gunwriter, but I'd say Wipeout.
Posted by: Jim in Idaho

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 10:22 AM

In my experience:

#1 - Montana Copper Killer
#2 - Montana Copper Killer
#3 - JB Bore Paste

The above beat Sweets 7.62 and CR-10 which are the only other specific copper remover I've tried. Sweets and CR-10 beat Shooter's Choice and Hoppe's #9 but all those warnings about what they do to bores made me switch to Montana.
Posted by: Ol` Joe

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 10:37 AM

Wipe out
Posted by: trouthunterdj

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 10:39 AM

I really like Montana Xtreme Copper Remover for all 3.

ddj
Posted by: Jordan Smith

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 12:04 PM

The best offense is a good defense. UBC wink
Posted by: Mule Deer

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 12:04 PM

I pretty much use only Montana Extreme Copper Remover these days, mostly because it's so easy to use. Run a few soaked patches through the bore, then let the rifle sit for an hour or overnight, depending in the bore and your needs, then use a few dry patches to push out the gunk.

If the bore fouls so much that MT Extreme doesn't clean it easily, then I install Ultra Bore Coat.
Posted by: Dawn2Dusk

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 01:13 PM

With stubborn fouling, how can you know for sure that all the copper is out? Will patches continue to turn blueish with wipe out or MT extreme with each use?
Posted by: trouthunterdj

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 01:19 PM

I may be wrong but if I apply Montana Extreme 2-3 times and allow it to sit, the followup dry patches come out relatively clean. If I see fouling after that, then it needs to move or UBC.

Just my opinions.

ddj
Posted by: keith

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 01:22 PM

Montana Extreme Copper Killer(50 BMG)

An alternative on hard foulers is Montana Extreme Copper Killer with the Montana Extreme Plastic Brushes.

In the very worst cases where a bore is pitted or you just have rough as heck barrel, JB or Montana Extreme Copper Creme on their plastic brush will clean a bad bore right now.

I shoot and clean frequently at the rifle range during load development. Bores come cleaner easier and faster when the bore is still warm.

Montana Extreme products are OIL based unlike many water based products which will aid in rusting a barrel.

The Montana Extreme regular solvent will remove fouling overnight if you are a "Soaker" with no problems with eating up a barrel since it is an oil based product.
Posted by: Bighorn

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 01:23 PM

Wipe Out
Wipe Out
Wipe Out
Posted by: Sprint11

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 01:53 PM

After comments made by one of the more esteemed members here, I stopped using Wipe Out. I've since started using KG-12 With better results than Wipe out produced.
Posted by: denton

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 02:07 PM

The cheap solution is to go to Ace Hardware and get a quart of 10% janitorial ammonia for about a buck and a half. Mix a few ounces of it 50/50 with a cheap liquid detergent.

That said, I usually use Wipe Out, but may give some of the alternatives mentioned here a twirl.
Posted by: jmp300wsm

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 02:14 PM

Wipe out or patch out is all I ever use any more. Just so easy and effective.
Posted by: 300_savage

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 02:33 PM

Could you pass on the reasons for not using wipeout? I just bought a can, am fairly impressed with it, but don't want to continue if it will do any damage.

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 02:42 PM

Wipe out won't do any damage. Ammonia can do damage if to much is used.

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 02:44 PM

Combining ideas from two threads...

Super heat ammonia until it turns to steam and force it down the barrel. Makes sense. After all, you don't see any copper fouled barrels on the planet Mercury, now do you?
Posted by: leftycarbon

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 02:51 PM

+1 on the Montana extreme...it really gets after copper right now. Sweets, Barnes CR-10 also works pretty good. If not to extreme butches bore shine is a good copper and other fouling remover. For those of you that belive that wipe out is answer...borrow a bore scope for a surprise!

LC
Posted by: 7 STW

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 02:53 PM

Barnes CR 10

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: jmp300wsm
Wipe out won't do any damage. Ammonia can do damage if to much is used.

Or if it's left in the barrel too long...
Posted by: Jeff_O

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 03:51 PM

I use Sweets 7.62, but when it's gone I'm going to try some of this newfangled Montana stuff....
Posted by: scottfromdallas

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 03:54 PM

Any opinions on Gunslick foam?

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 04:07 PM

The big advantage of Montana Extreme is that it won't harm the bore. Most of the traditional ammonia cleaners will if left in the bore over 15 minutes or so, so another patch has to be run through at about that time interval. But you can just leave Montana Extreme in there as long as you want.

Wipe-Out can also be left in the bore, but in my experience MT Extreme works somewhat quicker.
Posted by: Middlefork_Miner

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 04:07 PM

I've got some Montana extreme cream & 50 BMG copper killer, Hoppes elite copper eliminator, & wipeout...by far, wipeout is the easiest & IMO is as good if not better than the others...it's certainly the easiest & is the only thing I use anymore.

ETA: I also run a patch of Hoppes #9 after the wipeout...good MOJO & makes it smell right.
Posted by: Ol` Joe

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 05:47 PM

One other nice trait of Wipe-Out is the wife won`t toss you and your rifle out the door when you use it.
99% of the other cleaners clear your sinus and peel paint from the next room along with getting the carbon and copper out of the barrel.

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 06:02 PM

Looked in all of mine with a bore scope and no suprises? Copper was gone. I sure there are a number of good products out there that work according to this thread. YMMV
Posted by: 300_savage

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 08:08 PM

I still use Hoppes #9 for the same reason. It takes me back to a simpler time, even if damn near everything smells of it after you use it.
Posted by: BullShooter

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/06/10 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Dawn2Dusk
What's the best copper fouling remover

D2D-
It depends on how you define "best". Quickest is probably concentrated nitric acid. Unfortunately, it doesn't do the barrel much good. It will take out the most stubborn copper fouling, however.

(Recall the "Duke" in Huckleberry Finn, who was run out of town for selling a tartar remover that also took the enamel from teeth.)

--Bob
Posted by: rockchuck828

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/07/10 06:11 AM

I think that I have tried them all and hands down the best is a Canadian product called Copper Melt but it is hard to find anymore.
Bore Tech Eliminator works great on copper without ammonia.
Posted by: Delta Hunter

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/07/10 07:16 AM

Originally Posted By: rockchuck828
I think that I have tried them all and hands down the best is a Canadian product called Copper Melt but it is hard to find anymore.

I ordered Copper Melt once but when my first bottle arrived in the mail it had leaked and the bottle was pretty much empty. It appeared as though pressure had built up forcing the cap's seal to fail. Called and they sent me another one and used it all up. I wasn't overly impressed.

Nowadays after trying just about everything out there I prefer Montana Extreme Copper Killer (50BMG) followed by Wipeout.
Posted by: John55

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/07/10 08:33 AM

Just bought a bottle of the Montana Extreme 50BMG solution and will be trying it soon. Been using Wipe Out with 100% satisfaction but wanted to try something that might work faster. Used Sweet's and Barnes CR10 for a long time but tossed them both after trying Wipe Out. Have also tried Butch's Bore Shine and Bore Tech Eliminator, found them about worthless for copper removal.
Posted by: SAUMHUNTER79

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/07/10 08:44 AM

Montana Extreme 50 BMG all the way, CR-10 and Sweets will work too, but Sweets isn't as barrel-friendly.
Posted by: dmsbandit

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/07/10 09:21 AM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
Any opinions on Gunslick foam?

I got a can of it about a week ago, and was extremely impressed on the easy quick job it did on my guns.

I "cleaned" 2 guns with Butch's bore shine and got some copper out. Then I use the Gunslick foam and holy cow!!!! You would have thought the gun hadn't been cleaned in 20 yrs. Just squirt it into the barrel, wait a few minutes, run a patch thru, instant clean.

I'm sold on the Gunslick foam and will use it as my main copper solvent in the future.
Posted by: dennisinaz

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/07/10 09:58 AM

Anyone compare the Montana extreme or similar to KG-12?

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/07/10 11:21 AM

I've used KG-12 and wasn't impressed in the least bit. Montana Extreme is much better in my experience. So is Wipeout.
Posted by: SU35

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/07/10 11:29 AM

In my experience:

#1 - Montana Copper Killer
#2 - Montana Copper Killer
#3 - JB Bore Paste

Mine too.

I like it because it's an oil based ammonia not water based like Sweets.
You can leave it in over night or week for that matter and it won't harm anything.

Great stuff.

Their bore conditioner works great too. I use it after I clean.
Posted by: ColsPaul

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/07/10 11:34 AM

my indoor range allows only jacketed ammo.
My vote now goes to Montana Copper Killer
Posted by: Burleyboy

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/07/10 11:58 AM

I've been using the montana 50 bmg stuff but the warning label on the bottle about reproductive harm worries me a bit. Just hope it doesn't leave my other gun shooting blanks.

I picked up some nitryle gloves and have started wearing those when I clean.

I run patches of the 50 bmg until they come out clean, then dry patch times 2 or 3, and then run a patch of their bore conditioner oil and follow it with another dry patch.

Bb
Posted by: Bulletbutt

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/07/10 12:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim in Idaho

Super heat ammonia until it turns to steam and force it down the barrel. Makes sense. After all, you don't see any copper fouled barrels on the planet Mercury, now do you?

Had to repeat this as I'm afraid someone may have missed it. Food for thought here, worth thinking about. Sometimes we tend to overlook the obvious...

grin
Posted by: WranglerJohn

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/07/10 12:57 PM

I currently use Bore Tech products, after using all the other brands mentioned here, and many that weren't.

I especially like Bore Tech's "Proof Positive" jags, nylon brushes and Proof Positive rods. One problem is that any brass jag or rod ferrule will leach copper on to a patch, making it difficult to know exactly when a barrel is copper free. Bore Tech's products prevent hardware leaching as they contain no copper alloy.

I used Wipe Out for some time, at least the old formula, and discovered it took approximately three days, seven hours, fifteen minutes and thirty seconds to clean a barrel (okay an exaggeration).

Now I start with Bore Tech's Eliminator to remove most of the surface fouling. Then switch to Cu+2 Copper Remover, and follow up with their C4 Carbon Remover. It's just amazing how much brownish carbon remains in the barrel after removing the copper. It takes much less time and patches are soon coming out clean. I only use nylon brushes, and clean with a bore guide.

It should be mentioned that I use mostly custom barrels that are double lapped during manufacture,but even the odd factory barrel cleans up quickly.

I read that using solvents containing ammonia (NH3) on warm or hot barrels can nitride the surface of the steel embrittling it, especially carbon barrels. May be just a urban legend, but I prefer the new ammonia free solvents for use at the range.

This is just my technique - like placing patches in Nalgene cosmetic jars and saturating them with solvent so they are ready to use in the field - so take it as opinion. Really any commercial solvent will work.
Posted by: Middlefork_Miner

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/07/10 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Bulletbutt

Had to repeat this as I'm afraid someone may have missed it. Food for thought here, worth thinking about. Sometimes we tend to overlook the obvious...

grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonia

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/07/10 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Delta Hunter

I ordered Copper Melt once but when my first bottle arrived in the mail it had leaked and the bottle was pretty much empty. It appeared as though pressure had built up forcing the cap's seal to fail. Called and they sent me another one and used it all up. I wasn't overly impressed.

Nowadays after trying just about everything out there I prefer Montana Extreme Copper Killer (50BMG) followed by Wipeout.

Must have been a different product that you tried, I still have 2 bottles for emergencies and it works much better than any Montana product...infact the Bore tech products work better than the Montana followed by Wipeout, you must not shoot and clean very often.

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/07/10 05:47 PM

Do you know or are you related to nsaqam or seafire, this is exactly the logic or lack thereof they would use.???????????

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/07/10 07:09 PM

I was kind of hoping the reference to barrels on the planet Mercury would preclude having to explicitly state that the post was tongue in cheek. Fortunately it seems that most folks "got it".

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/07/10 09:42 PM

Idling the thought process along further, I wonder if you can find any non-corrosive primers on Mercury?

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/08/10 06:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Delta Hunter

Must have been a different product that you tried, I still have 2 bottles for emergencies and it works much better than any Montana product...infact the Bore tech products work better than the Montana followed by Wipeout, you must not shoot and clean very often.

Whatever.
Posted by: dave7mm

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/08/10 06:58 AM

Wipeout or TM Bore Cleaning Solvent.
Depends on the mood.

http://www.tmss.net/tmsolutionproducts/borecleaningsolventinformation.html

dave
Posted by: Azar

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/08/10 09:59 AM

Anyone ever tried the MPro-7 series of copper cleaners? How do they do?
Posted by: temmi

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/08/10 10:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Azar
Anyone ever tried the MPro-7 series of copper cleaners? How do they do?

I use it and am pretty happy with it. The copper comes out as a Dark brown sludge like stuff.

BUT

as with all things "T"... I tend to be excessive. I start with The Gunslick Pro Foaming product and after I finish with that, I Thoroughly remove all of it… oil and then use the MPro-7 products…

I always get more powder and copper with MPro-7 products.

T
Posted by: OUTCAST

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/08/10 01:34 PM

Daw..,

Outter's Foul Out II has been described as a pain in the ass. In some respects it is, however, it uses a non abrasive, reverse electro plating process. I've cleaned many old rifles with it that, I am convinced, would never have been cleaned so well without bore damage from a rod or brush.

O
Posted by: pigster

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/08/10 02:29 PM

I have been using a Foul Out III, primarily to clean my Sako AV (30-06). I have tried all kinds of chemical concoctions, spent countless hours soaking/brushing, copper was still visible at the muzzle end. This gadget was a god sent for heavily fouled bores.
The pictures show heavy copper deposit on the collecting rod-39 shots went down the tube before cleaning.

Posted by: varmintsinc

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/08/10 02:56 PM

I like boretech eliminator based on the lack of heavy odor. The Coppermelt was awesome but he could never get past the packaging issues. I kept wishing he would sell it to a bigger company but he was a bit of an odd duck.

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/09/10 10:31 AM

pig..,

Yep. Just don't think brush and rod can do as well. Also the powder residue loosened by the process is amazing. They also remove lead with a differant solution.

If a guy has a hand lapped custom barrel-as some of these dudes do-a Foul Out may be a waste of money. I just love old guns.

O
Posted by: lightman

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/09/10 02:19 PM

I still use Shooters Choice on normal stuff,and Sweets 7.62 on heavy fouling.They all work,some maybe a little better than others.I clean frequently,and I trust Shooters Choice enough to leave it soaking if I need to.Most all of them will get a little something out of a barrel cleaned with another brand. Lightman

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/09/10 02:41 PM

I have a Foul Out system, collecting dust in the corner of my gun room, along with containers of lead and copper stuff to use with it.

I'd sell the whole thing, if I could find someone who wanted to buy it.........
Posted by: pigster

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/09/10 03:40 PM

What's the reason, if I may ask? It sure does take some getting used to, after that it's a piece of cake.

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/09/10 03:57 PM

IMO, Wipe Out works faster, easier, more effectively, and cheaper
Posted by: slymule

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/09/10 06:56 PM

KG-12 as 1st choice, if I'm in a hurry
Wipe Out as 2nd, if I want it to sit overnight

Montana Extreme 50BMG third choice, way down the list. One sniff and that stuff will fry your nose hairs, and I've gotten kind of partial to mine.
Posted by: AlanW

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/11/10 02:19 PM

My $0.02, and probably worth about that amount.
I used Wipe Out extensively, but seemed to still have copper fouling present after using it. Looking with a bore scope showed small amounts, but present. Montana Extreme seems to do the best. I will also use JB occasionally as an adjunct. I have used virtually all the solvents: Shooters Choice, Bore Tech CR and Eliminator, Butch's, Barnes copper stuff, Montana Extreme, Wipe Out, and T-M Solvent. At the moment, I use mostly Bore Tech's CR and Montana Extreme.
FWIW, I think that T-M is as good as there is, if not better, but it took the coating off of my Bore Tech rods, and was hard on the Dewey's. I quit using it.

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/11/10 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Bighorn
I have a Foul Out system, collecting dust in the corner of my gun room, along with containers of lead and copper stuff to use with it.

I'd sell the whole thing, if I could find someone who wanted to buy it.........

Well, that's what makes a horse race, isn't it?
Posted by: RatherBHuntin

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/11/10 07:29 PM

Wipe out for me, Montana extreme if I'm cleaning at the range but I hate the strong odor and fear it getting on my wood stock. Soaking wipe out for 12 to 14 hours does wonders for me and then 2 or three patches pushes the blue gunk right out. Cleaned 3 rifles totally free of copper after a 24 hour soak in 15 min.
Posted by: steelheadslayer

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/14/10 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Mule Deer
Most of the traditional ammonia cleaners will if left in the bore over 15 minutes or so,

does this mean hopes no.9 copper solvent will hurt my bore if left overnight?

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/14/10 06:56 PM

No, the Hoppe's Copper Remover can be left in. But I've found MT Extreme to be more effective at removing copper.

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/14/10 08:35 PM

my 270 has been shot for years and i,ve never givin much of a thought about copper fouling till i read this post, which i stumbled accross looking for reloading data, what a weath of information here
Posted by: 300grains

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/15/10 12:48 PM

KG-12 or M Pro 7.

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/15/10 06:24 PM

Rickwaldo,

Copper "fouling" can also be highly over-worried. Many rifles shoot great with visible copper in the bore. If your rifle still shoots well, don't worry about it.

The modern conviction that any visible copper at the muzzle complete ruins accuracy has sold more bore-cleaning products than any amount of advertising. But most shooters have never analyzed if copper fouling (or X number of rounds) actually affects the accuracy of their rifle. A lot of the time it doesn't.

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/16/10 03:45 AM

the gun shoots fairly well although each bullet, 130, 140 or 150 gr. bullet or type of powder finds its own mark on the paper.
i was thinking it might be copper fouling, but probably operator error mostly.
Posted by: 257Rob

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/26/10 09:40 AM

I had a conversation with a gun store employee that is also a varmint hunter.
He was of the opinion that Wipe Out and similar products get a barrel "too clean" and in his experience, it usually took 5-20 shots to get his rifles to "settle down", and shoot as accurately as before. Is that possible? What do you think?
Posted by: hemiallen

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/26/10 09:52 AM

I am no benchrest shooter, but my ole Ruger tang safety 25-06 has always had the copper muzzle while it still shot 3/4" 5 shot groups after 50 rds of competition shooting. I did the test group as my 50 shots were either at a Plywood "running deer' or at the 200 YD "offhand" chicken shoot.

She now wears UBC, but I haven't put more than the required 5 shots to cure it down the tube.

I believe almost every article about accurate handloading discusses a "fouler shot" before seriously considering every bullet hole as indicating the load's potential....

Allen
Posted by: alpinecrick

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/26/10 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: 300_savage
I still use Hoppes #9 for the same reason. It takes me back to a simpler time, even if damn near everything smells of it after you use it.

Nothing will get my elk hunting juices flowing like the smell of Hoppes #9--reminds me of my dad cleaning his rifle and elk season from a long time ago.

Like Middlefork, I run #9 through the barrel at the end for the good mojo--and to get rid of the "dirty water" smell of Wipeout..........

Casey
Posted by: Kentucky_Windage

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/26/10 06:25 PM

Best stuff I've ever found is Bore Tech Eliminator. Non-toxic, won't harm barrels or blueing, works fast. I often use only patches. Just run them through until they stop turning purple/blue. A nylon brush makes it even faster. GREAT stuff.
Posted by: BURRUSS

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/26/10 06:33 PM

Anyone have experience with slick 2000?

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/26/10 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Kentucky_Windage
Best stuff I've ever found is Bore Tech Eliminator. Non-toxic, won't harm barrels or blueing, works fast. I often use only patches. Just run them through until they stop turning purple/blue. A nylon brush makes it even faster. GREAT stuff.

I tried to pass this idea along a couple weeks ago on this thread but nobody will listen, they all have their own agenda and listening apparently is not part of that. let them keep struggling thinking Hoppes is a miracle cologne and barrel cleaner and ammonia has any other use than to singe your nose hairs and clean shoe marks off a school room floor.
Posted by: Kentucky_Windage

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/26/10 11:43 PM

I don't care if anyone chooses to listen or not. I've turned all my shooting pals onto Bore Tech, and they're all total converts now. I turned some of the guys at my local rifle range onto the stuff, and now it's all the rage at the range among the regulars. Everyone I've know who's tried it has instantly become a big fan.

Hey, if people don't want to listen, so be it. You can lead a horse to water... Whatever. Maybe some guys LIKE the smell of ammonia.
Posted by: Magnumdood

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/27/10 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By: pigster
I have been using a Foul Out III, primarily to clean my Sako AV (30-06). I have tried all kinds of chemical concoctions, spent countless hours soaking/brushing, copper was still visible at the muzzle end. This gadget was a god sent for heavily fouled bores.

+1
Posted by: bigwhoop

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/27/10 05:09 AM

I use a little Hoppes #9 on my oatmeal.

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/27/10 08:03 AM

Once again, UBC makes this whole argument a moot point. I applied it to 1 rifle. Then it worked so well that I applied it to ALL my rifles. Now I've got all my family members and friends using it. Why clean when you don't have to? Every few hundred rounds I'll push 4-5 patches with Butch's down the bore, or I'll just give it a shot of WipeOut and leave it over night and push out with 1 patch in the morning, and the bore is squeaky clean.
Posted by: BBerg

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/27/10 11:48 PM

Does UBC have any effect on barrel life?

BBerg

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/28/10 06:32 AM

Jordan

Do you find any blue when you push out the patches? I am prepping 2 rifles right now to UBC, and I think for the 17 hmr which is cleaning up very slow ( mostly powder , no blue using sweets) and I am hoping UBC will reduce the time between running a patch down the bore.

I think if you get on the UBC webpage there is mention it was field tested by the Army.

Allen

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/28/10 08:34 AM

Originally Posted By: BBerg
Does UBC have any effect on barrel life?

BBerg

There is no concrete evidence that I have seen regarding this issue, yet, but testing by Doug and others has indicated that the hard ceramic UBC coating may increase barrel life. This makes sense if you consider that there is now a hard ceramic coating between the steel of the bore and the bullet, which would decrease the friction between the two.

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/28/10 10:30 AM

Originally Posted By: hemiallen
Jordan

Do you find any blue when you push out the patches? I am prepping 2 rifles right now to UBC, and I think for the 17 hmr which is cleaning up very slow ( mostly powder , no blue using sweets) and I am hoping UBC will reduce the time between running a patch down the bore.

I think if you get on the UBC webpage there is mention it was field tested by the Army.

Allen

Yeah, I definitely see blue on the patches, but it is the equivalent to what you would see after maybe 40-50 rounds without UBC. And I'm cleaning after several hundred rounds. The blue copper fouling also comes out much easier and quicker with UBC.

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 10/28/10 10:47 AM

Thanks

I know John B has written how he can, at the end of a squirrel shootout day, spend more time drinking a refreshing cold one while his partners continue the chore of cleaning their Non-UBC coated bores.... That right there makes a believer out of a person.

BTW, For my 17 I decided to try one of the plastic pull strings Midway sells, it is a green coiled plastic rod with a blob on one end and cut sharp on the other. You pierce a patch with the sharp end, run the patch to the other end, soak the patch, thread the sharp end down the chamber and pull the patch thru. It seems to work great so far, and as long as I wipe the wire between pulls I suspect it must be easier on the bore than a poorly fitted rod/ guide combo and $5....

I switched from the 3/4" square used for the 17 to a 7/8" patch for a 223 and it worked well. They do sell a universal 22 to 12 gauge kit that has "washers" you put on before the patch, which fits the bore better....but I have good rods for the bigger bores and will use them. This seems like a better mousetrap than the "snakes" that are material that can absorb dust, grime, solvent, water, etc., especially for a field kit, as long as you go loose on the patch and it is just for clearing water from the bore. I had one I set up w/ 2 patches to get a tighter fit( should have tried the washers) and was thinking I had messed up and would need a rod to push it back into the chamber, as I got it jammed in the leade. Added lube and it came out easily.

Allen

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 11/03/10 01:05 PM

I just picked up some Bore tech CU+2 copper eliminator and put it in a new to me 243 wssm taht was fired I believe 40 rds of Winchester 95 bt's coated in Moly ( factory ammo) after a good soaking of Hoppes, followed by a dose of sweets ( 3x ) and all traces of blue were gone.

I assumed this was clean enough, but the first 10 minutes of Bore tech proved otherwise. I initially thought my brass jag was the issue, but have switched to a nylon loop to hold a patch, and 3x I still see some blue. I may have to get out some other guns to see if they show blue even though I believe they are currently spotless....My 25-06 Ruger 77 is the first and most likely to show copper.

Allen
Posted by: bigsqueeze

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 11/03/10 04:00 PM

Over on another forum last week and saw a post about "Deatons Deep Clean." A copper, powder, and carbon remover from the bore.

Got the Georgia phone # and call it. Had a 45 minute conversation with Carl Deaton and decided to order a 4 oz bottle.

Was delivered today.

This stuff WORKS! Before, I was using the usual solvent, then JB Bore Compound and followed lastly by the JB Bore Brite. Usually, the patches finally come out clean after I go thru a bunch of them, after which I`ve always assumed that I had a very clean barrel..........NOT SO!

Following the directions using Deatons in what I thought was already a darn clean barrel, my patches nevertheless came out blued and slightly darkened.

Went through 4 rounds of, soak in the bore for 3 minutes then wipe out, soak another 3 minutes then wipe out + 2 more times of the same until the patches were clean.

What remained in the barrel that wasn`t removed before?......................Carbon!

Using a bore light, what I thought was a shiny bore before using the JB, is looking even better now after using Deatons.
Posted by: 1flier

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 11/03/10 07:37 PM

Any ammonia in that Deatons?

1flier
Posted by: Auger01

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 11/03/10 08:35 PM

Montana Extreme Copper killer a.k.a 50BMG is good stuff, but definately hold your breath when you open the bottle or the smell will knock you out.

I like kg12. It works great with NO smell. If I really want to get 100.000 percent of the copper out of a barrel, I will use a barrel plug and fill the bore with KG-12 overnight. Five minutes of work and a wake-up and you are copper free.
Posted by: nifty-two-fifty

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 11/03/10 09:37 PM

re Deatons: Yes on the ammonia

http://deatonsguncare.com/

Re: Best Copper Fouling Remover... - 11/04/10 12:08 PM

I put some of the Bore tech in the 25-06 and found it had some copper left after Sweet's showed me it was clean 2x....

Can't wait to see if other " clean" guns show copper using the Bore tech. The hard to get used to thing about the Bore tech is it has a low viscosity like water and needs to be slowly soaked into the patch or most will run off into the trash. The other scary change is it is supposed to be the last thing you mop the bore with before storage, not used to NOT using some oil as a protectant....

Allen