Home

What is the difference between a Merkel 1620 and a Merkel 147 -- both in 16 gauge ?

The 1620 has a Greener crossbolt with double underbarrel locking lugs and a case hardened receiver and costs a couple thousand more.

Thank you.

Is the 147 safe and reliable for SAAMI factory load pressures and similar handloads ?

1620 is built on a 20 ga frame.

Is the Merkel 147 on a 16 gauge frame or a 12 gauge frame ?

The 147 was a correct 16 gauge frame,when they changed to the 20 ga frame,because it is also used for their double rifles.More cost effective on the re-tooling...Strong guns either way!

For upland hunting...

Would you hesitate on buying a Merkel 147 in 16 gauge ?

As compared to a Merkel 1620 ?

Not at all....very well built,great barrels and balances in the hands nicely.I think they are as good as any Winchester 21!!

One website list the Merkel 147E as weighing the same in either 12 or 16 gauge.

About a pound heavier than the 16 gauge in the Merkel 1620.

Saw posted on another forum...

Dove shooting with Merkel 147 side-by-side...

... just back in from Argentina.

Managed to tally-up 12,530 doves with a custom pair of Merkel 147 SL 20 bores...This in 4 days of shooting...Had 2 days of 4000 plus...Got sick one day and couldn't get much past 2000! Averaged 87.7% No great feat when compared to the guys who shoot autos, but not bad for a guy and his bird boy, drinking some suds and smoking cigars!!!

Who says that Side By Side shotguns can't handle the Argentine high volume shooting!!!

Anybody else ever take a SxS to Argentina?

Highly recommended, but make sure to wear a glove on your barrel hand...I developed severe heat blisters!!!

It's been a while since I've had them side by side,I do not recall a full pound differance,between the 1620 and 147,maybe half of that.
Never handled a 147, but for some reason was under the impression they are on a 12 gauge frame. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. If it's actually a 12 on a 16 gauge frame it should make a pretty nice gun and something I'd like to try for early season on swamp ducks. My primary upland gun is a 1620 and it's an absolute delight. I have the combo with both 16 and 20 gauge barrels, use the 16's for birds and the 20's for target shooting.
© 24hourcampfire